Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 11:47 AM   #331
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dman123
Coconut Oil (VCO) and the Microwave

I have recently read about the manifold benefits of coconut oil and am using it in my daily diet. Since I've been reading a lot about it on the web I have come across several (conflicting) reports/opinions that coconut should never be microwaved.

As far as I know, no CREDIBLE source (even the manufacturer/s) can explain exactly why VCO should not be microwaved. Bottles are labeled with "Do not microwave." Coconut oil is known to be very heat stable though it smokes when fried at high heat because of it's relatively low molecular weight.

Many people claim that microwaving "changes the chemical makeup of the oil" or it "destroys its healing properties" or "nutrients". But this makes no sense at all. A microwave simply heats up the water contained in food.

Sure there are people who claim microwaving any food is dangerous, but they are mostly people who don't understand how a microwave works or are paranoid.

Does anyone know of any studies or reports from a reliable source about this subject? Have I been wasting the oil I've been eating? Please help if you know.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2009, 11:53 AM   #332
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I know that I exploded my mini glass measuring cup cause it over heated and I couldn't tell till it was too late. :blush: It doesn't make boiling bubbles like water does But I don't believe that microwaving hurts it. I'd just use as short a time as possible. BOOM! Hahaha, Glass and oil everywhere I only do 15 seconds at a time now, and sometimes when I stir it the solid pieces left just melt into the rest.

BTW there doesn't have to be water in the food for it to get hot. Otherwise why would empty plates and glass get hot? No offense to believers, but I don't think there is harm. Not for the few seconds needed to warm it anyway.

This dude has a You tube video and he microwaved a glass bottle and eventually it melted. and exploded! I like explosions ( in someone else's appliances)
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 03-19-2009 at 11:56 AM..
Old 03-20-2009, 07:28 AM   #333
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dman123
microwave

Glass plates and glass in general is made up of silicon-oxygen bonds that have a large dielectric (dipole moment) due to the difference in electronegativity between silicon and oxygen.

Microwaves accelerate the motion of such molecules especially water.

If your plates are not made of glass and they get hot without you putting water on it first, then your microwave must be humid inside and the residual water (or the filth) is what is heating your plates. My microwave is pretty powerful and I cannot get a clean, dry plate to get hot or even warm to the touch.

This does not make microwaving inherently dangerous. If people use a microwave in a way that was not intended (putting metal, empty glassware in it etc.) it is just stupidity. Anyone can destroy a microwave if they want to. People point out that some nurse somewhere heated blood before giving it to a patient and that the microwave process caused the death. This is so stupid I cannot stop laughing about it. It is proof of nothing except the incompetence of the nurse. If you cook blood (whether in boiling water or a microwave) it denatures the proteins and causes the cells to burst. It is no longer whole blood. It is just useless protein soup.

The only thing that microwaving food does to deplete nutrients in food (that is proven) is it reduces vitamin B12 content in food. B12 is an enormous molecule that contains the metal cobalt. It is not a stable molecule in food which is cooked in ANY fashion.

The oil you microwaved which splattered was caused by super-heating (you raised the temperature past the boiling point) of the oil. You way way way overcooked it, as you pointed out.

But I agree, I don't think it did anything to the coconut oil's chemical composition unless the oil through the manufacturing process was made alkaline (high pH) which would saponify the oil (make soap out of it). That's another story though.

Thanks for your reply!
Old 03-20-2009, 08:15 AM   #334

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman123 View Post
Glass plates and glass in general is made up of silicon-oxygen bonds that have a large dielectric (dipole moment) due to the difference in electronegativity between silicon and oxygen.

Microwaves accelerate the motion of such molecules especially water.

If your plates are not made of glass and they get hot without you putting water on it first, then your microwave must be humid inside and the residual water (or the filth) is what is heating your plates. My microwave is pretty powerful and I cannot get a clean, dry plate to get hot or even warm to the touch.

This does not make microwaving inherently dangerous. If people use a microwave in a way that was not intended (putting metal, empty glassware in it etc.) it is just stupidity. Anyone can destroy a microwave if they want to. People point out that some nurse somewhere heated blood before giving it to a patient and that the microwave process caused the death. This is so stupid I cannot stop laughing about it. It is proof of nothing except the incompetence of the nurse. If you cook blood (whether in boiling water or a microwave) it denatures the proteins and causes the cells to burst. It is no longer whole blood. It is just useless protein soup.

The only thing that microwaving food does to deplete nutrients in food (that is proven) is it reduces vitamin B12 content in food. B12 is an enormous molecule that contains the metal cobalt. It is not a stable molecule in food which is cooked in ANY fashion.

The oil you microwaved which splattered was caused by super-heating (you raised the temperature past the boiling point) of the oil. You way way way overcooked it, as you pointed out.

But I agree, I don't think it did anything to the coconut oil's chemical composition unless the oil through the manufacturing process was made alkaline (high pH) which would saponify the oil (make soap out of it). That's another story though.

Thanks for your reply!
Wow, I think I'm in love~ I love fully explained and scientifically detailed replies [swooning]

Yeah, What you said!!

ETA: Lovely Avatar BTW, I can almost hear the brook water bubbling and flowing. How peaceful!
Old 05-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #335
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NANC
Stats: 140 5'3"
WOE: gluton free
Start Date: 2007
I'M NEW TO THIS SITE. IS ANYONE OUT THERE GLUTON SENSITIVE AND CARB DIETING. I USE VCO EVERYDAY. THANKS
Old 05-14-2009, 08:00 AM   #336

AAAAAHHHH!!

Mountain Rose is Out of coconut oil!

guess I better shop around again.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #337
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SharonB61
Stats: 168/132/135
WOE: VLC / IF
I buy mine from Wilderness Family Naturals.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:58 PM   #338
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kakay
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2003
Hello, does any one have the recipe for the PBD's(Peanut Butter Delights)? I used to make it all the time but haven't in a while and forgot the recipe. My daughter in law is pregnant and has gestational diabetes and I want to make her something sweet for her cravings.

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2009, 06:10 PM   #339
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Reviving for recipes.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:41 AM   #340
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
I'm adding my Chocolate Peanut Butter Candy recipe:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ic-inside.html
Old 08-26-2009, 03:46 PM   #341
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Eloff View Post
Thanks Jennifer, they look yummy
Old 02-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #342
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ga_kimmie
Stats: 181/146/120
WOE: Primal Blueprint
Start Date: August 12, 2009
Thank you for all the recipes! I just spent an hour reading through and copying out my favs (and the peanut butter and CO is melting in a dish right now for the freezer tonight!).

Anyway, do you think that I could use coconut oil as a full body moisturizer for my 2 year old? He has dry skin and is prone to eczema during the winter if we don't moisturize him all over with some sort of thick oil. We've been using aquaphor but I'd like to move away from petroleum based products (for environmental and health reasons) and believe it or not but even the nice EVCO is less expensive than aquaphor. I think I'll try a "test patch" on him tomorrow night (we grease him up before bed) to see if it works. He's never had coconut but isn't allergic to any other tree nuts. I'll probably do a dry run tomorrow by giving him some coconut oil so that I can watch for any allergic reactions before I proceed to slather him in it and put him to bed

Thoughts?
Old 02-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #343

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga_kimmie View Post
Thank you for all the recipes! I just spent an hour reading through and copying out my favs (and the peanut butter and CO is melting in a dish right now for the freezer tonight!).

Anyway, do you think that I could use coconut oil as a full body moisturizer for my 2 year old? He has dry skin and is prone to eczema during the winter if we don't moisturize him all over with some sort of thick oil. We've been using aquaphor but I'd like to move away from petroleum based products (for environmental and health reasons) and believe it or not but even the nice EVCO is less expensive than aquaphor. I think I'll try a "test patch" on him tomorrow night (we grease him up before bed) to see if it works. He's never had coconut but isn't allergic to any other tree nuts. I'll probably do a dry run tomorrow by giving him some coconut oil so that I can watch for any allergic reactions before I proceed to slather him in it and put him to bed

Thoughts?
That sounds like a great idea, IF he's not allergic. And keep in mind that he might not be allergic, but his skin might react anyway just because it's new to him. a skin test sounds logical. maybe in a spot you know would be sensitive, like below the armpit, or inside the elbow where the skin is thin but easy for you to see or notice. I love coconut oil as a body oil! It's so nice feeling and even if you use too much it's like it soaks in or something.

Oh something I remembered though. Unlike petroleums, like baby oil, coconut oil won't stay on the skin for long. I've had where I used it and later in the day my skin was dry. Not dry like dried out dehydrated, but like I didn't have any oil on. My face expecially so I know I didn't rub it off on my clothes. I think it just soaks in. This is not as helpful if the skin underneath is not already moist or hydrated. CO on dry skin will look good at first, but ultimately the skin is still dry later. CO on moist or hydrated skin will feel better much longer. If I can I put it on right after a shower while my skin is still wet, the water then beads up on my skin, and I just pat the excess off with a towel.

I really hope this works out well for him. CO has the same oils our skin produces to protect itself, and the natural skin bacteria will eat this and convert it into fatty acids, a slightly acidic barrier from germs. Isn't it great? Okay, too much excitement. Good night!
Old 02-07-2010, 06:29 AM   #344
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
That sounds like a great idea, IF he's not allergic. And keep in mind that he might not be allergic, but his skin might react anyway just because it's new to him. a skin test sounds logical. maybe in a spot you know would be sensitive, like below the armpit, or inside the elbow where the skin is thin but easy for you to see or notice. I love coconut oil as a body oil! It's so nice feeling and even if you use too much it's like it soaks in or something.

Oh something I remembered though. Unlike petroleums, like baby oil, coconut oil won't stay on the skin for long. I've had where I used it and later in the day my skin was dry. Not dry like dried out dehydrated, but like I didn't have any oil on. My face expecially so I know I didn't rub it off on my clothes. I think it just soaks in. This is not as helpful if the skin underneath is not already moist or hydrated. CO on dry skin will look good at first, but ultimately the skin is still dry later. CO on moist or hydrated skin will feel better much longer. If I can I put it on right after a shower while my skin is still wet, the water then beads up on my skin, and I just pat the excess off with a towel.

I really hope this works out well for him. CO has the same oils our skin produces to protect itself, and the natural skin bacteria will eat this and convert it into fatty acids, a slightly acidic barrier from germs. Isn't it great? Okay, too much excitement. Good night!
Thank you! I noticed you live in Athens. We live in Cumming but travel to the Athens & Jefferson area frequently to see family. Any resources there for great whole foods, like a butcher you like or a famer's market you visit in the summer?
Old 02-07-2010, 07:28 AM   #345

The J&J Flea Market in the summer is great for Vegetables. On Saturdays and Sundays.
There used to be a butcher on Baxter Street but he's gone now, he had buffallo and aged beef and chicken and everything, but I guess he didn't get enough business. There is a new meat shop in what used to be the Fruit and Ice shop on Lexington. Now it's MEATS Meats MEATs! LOL, they have some pretty okay prices on steaks and the traditional meats. They have Game day packs of steaks and potatoes for the football fans to buy!

Also there is an Asian Food store on Baxter Called Fook's Foods. of course mostly starchy things, but she has asian style veggies like bok choi, long beans, sprouts, cilantro, the best green onions, all kinds of mushrooms, that cruncy lotus shape vegetable, and fresh kimchi and tofu. I like to go there to get roasted laver ( seaweed) to snack on.

Y'know what? I woke up this morning thinking of you, and wondering how the little one's CO skin test worked out. I need to pour out some more coconut for my skin jar, and my feet are begging for it, Y'know, winter socks and all. I'm tempted to put some of the virgin oil in with my refined oil and just make BF learn to like me coconut smelling! LOL ( we both hated coconut with a vengence, and I defected by liking the oil, but I still don't like the meat, or milk))
Old 02-07-2010, 08:04 AM   #346
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Coconut Chocolate Protein Squares

COCONUT CHOCOLATE PROTEIN SQUARES
Hmm, these are so good and good for you! Enjoy indulging every day without guilt. Great fiber! The coconut oil controls weight because it speeds metabolism and controls Candida/yeast.

1/3 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup whipping cream
2 tbsp Da Vinci® Sugar Free Syrup
(I used Macadamia Nut), OR sugar free
Pancake syrup
1 tbsp butter
1 cup chocolate whey protein
2/3 cup powdered milk
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup powdered erythritol
1 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut (divided)

In food processor, process coconut oil, whipping cream, Da Vinci® Sugar Free Syrup, butter, chocolate whey protein, powdered milk, cocoa and erythritol. Stir in 3/4 cup coconut. Press into lightly greased (spray bottom of pan lightly with Pam) 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Sprinkle remaining coconut over top and press coconut into mixture with back of a soup or dessert spoon. Freeze until firm and refrigerate

Helpful Hint: This is quite a fudge-like confection and I love the combo of coconut and chocolate. It was sweet enough for me, but YMMV. You could add the contents of a couple of Splenda packets, if desired – taste and see. It’s hard to believe that this confection is actually good for you. Don’t have an ounce of guilt over this one!

This confection could be cut into 8 bars – as in protein bars - and carried in a plastic baggie in your purse. It will be a little softer, but you could always mitigate that by adding a couple tablespoons more of the whey protein or leave out a tablespoon of the sugar free syrup.

Nutritional Analysis: 32 squares (8 x 4)
1 square: 74.4 calories; 3.4 g protein; 6.1 g fat; 1.5 g carbs
Old 02-07-2010, 08:08 AM   #347
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Some more coconut oil fudge recipes on this thread: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ate-fudge.html
Old 02-07-2010, 08:09 AM   #348
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: translationmx
Stats: 180/136 now 167/160.8/140
WOE: NK baby!
Start Date: Every day!!
bump!
Old 02-07-2010, 08:12 AM   #349
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: translationmx
Stats: 180/136 now 167/160.8/140
WOE: NK baby!
Start Date: Every day!!
Wow, Jennifer!! Those squares look scrumptious!! You always outdo yourself
Old 02-07-2010, 05:54 PM   #350
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyTwinsMom View Post
Peanut Butter Bark

1T VCO
1T Peanut Butter

Melt together, mix, and put in freezer.

Can be doubled or tripled or.........gallizonth

For those looking for a little change from the chocolate.

Philly~
I've eaten this last night and today and it was SO good!!!! I used fresh ground peanut butter from Whole Foods and EVCO. I also added a few drops of liquid sucralose and a teeny bit more peanut butter than EVCO (so maybe 1.5 TBSP peanut butter to 1 TBSP EVCO). It's HEAVENLY.

I put my first one in the freezer and the EVCO sort of came to the top and separated from the peanut butter. The second batch I made I just put in the fridge and it didn't separate.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:16 PM   #351
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MarcyDarcy
Stats: 195/180/173 goal: 135 or maybe lower
Start Date: November 2009
[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Merissa\My Documents\My Pictures\coconut cookies[/IMG]

Maybe someone has already posted this, but just made these Coconut Cookies and they're pretty darn good. This recipe came from Linda Sue's site (hope it's OK to copy and paste here).

COCONUT COOKIES
4 eggs
1/4 cup coconut oil or 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup coconut flour, sifted, 1 1/4 ounces
1 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded

In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and coconut oil or butter. Add the vanilla and liquid Splenda, if using. Combine the coconut flour with the granular Splenda and baking powder and whisk into the egg mixture until there are no lumps. Fold in the cheese. Drop the batter by spoonfuls onto a greased, rimmed baking sheet. Keep the batter as mounded as you can so that they won't end up too flat when they spread during baking. I made mine in a muffin top pan and I recommend doing that if you have one. Bake at 400º 15 minutes until golden brown.

Makes 6 cookies
Can be frozen

With granular Splenda:
Per Serving: 229 Calories; 18g Fat; 9g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per Serving: 213 Calories; 18g Fat; 9g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

These are a sweet variation of the Cheddar Biscuits recipe. They are a cake-like cookie and the mozzarella cheese isn't noticeable other than a very slight tang. I wasn't sure how much sweetener to use so I guessed at 1 cup. They're quite sweet so you may want to start with 1/2 cup then taste the batter and see if you need more. If you use butter instead of coconut oil, you may want to add some coconut extract. I used extra virgin coconut oil and it gave them a nice coconut flavor. I think they might be nice with a little freshly grated orange zest in them. I like these but I think they're a little too ugly to serve to company.

- I used 12 drops of liquid Splenda and they were just the right sweetness for me. I think this is actually equal to 1/2 cup powdered Splenda. The recipe calls for one cup.

Oops, no pic. I'll try again.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:24 PM   #352
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MarcyDarcy
Stats: 195/180/173 goal: 135 or maybe lower
Start Date: November 2009
[IMG]file:///C:/Documents and Settings/Merissa/My Documents/My Pictures/coconut cookies[/IMG]

no luck posting the pic, sorry
Old 03-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #353
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mlindie
Stats: 68/60/goal
Start Date: 4/30/07
Great ideas

Just started using coconut oil. Needed some great ideas so I am subscribing.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #354
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: martiangurll
Stats: 250ish/201.5/138???
WOE: HCG at the moment R3P2VLDC33
Start Date: 4/01/10 (Atkins restart)
bump

bumping this thread
Old 04-07-2010, 12:23 PM   #355
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jenni
Start Date: Restart May 2008
Coconut Kale

1/4 cup virgin coconut oil
a truckload of crushed FRESH garlic (I say 6 cloves-ish)
2 or 3 bunches kale (washed and stems removed)
salt and pepper

Use a huge pan to melt oil and lightly brown garlic. Add all the kale and toss well with the oil. Put the lid on the pan and let the kale wilt....stir occasionally if it makes you feel better. Salt and pepper to taste.

I got this idea from Tosca Reno mentioning it in Oxygen magazine and just kinda fiddled with it until it tasted right. Sooooooooo good! The coconut with the garlic was divine and kale is just about the healthiest green out there.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:06 AM   #356
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1LittleBee
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: It Depends!
Has anyone used CO to fry an egg?
Old 04-13-2010, 08:39 PM   #357

yeah, but It smelled like coconut eggs, not very appetizing. the next time I used refined, and it was better, but no flavor at all. I prefer to mix it with butter or bacon fat.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #358
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: martiangurll
Stats: 250ish/201.5/138???
WOE: HCG at the moment R3P2VLDC33
Start Date: 4/01/10 (Atkins restart)
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
yeah, but It smelled like coconut eggs, not very appetizing. the next time I used refined, and it was better, but no flavor at all. I prefer to mix it with butter or bacon fat.
Oh yes, what isn't improved by adding bacon fat?!
Old 04-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #359

Ice Cream?
Old 04-18-2010, 12:53 PM   #360
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ilyssa86
Coconut Oil

Hi!

I have been on a diet now for 4 1/2 months - low carb/high protein. Down 49 lbs as of yesterday and have about 20 to go :-). Just needed a boost (and sick of eating the same things over and over). Anyways, I tried to follow this whole thread on coconut oil and was sold. I am on my way to buy some now. I am young and a terrible cook haha. I also get very overwhelmed quickly by too many ingredients. I love chocolate, peanut butter, and coconut - can someone just post me a very easy and yummy chocolate pb bark/candy recipe so I can get in some coconut oil every day? Maybe even tell me how many carbs/protein is in it? Just remember, I am barely a beginner cook, so every step is necessary to tell me haha.

And judging by everyone's posts, I should start slowly on the CO and work my way up?

Any tips are appreciated! Thanks!