Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 09:08 AM   #301
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
This is my first jar of Beanit and while it may be a tiny bit dryer, it really has a roasted flavor that comes through. The fact that it is no carb makes me give it some lee way. Now that everything is going well, I'll let in in on a secret. I went straight to 4T of CO a day right off the bat! No ill effects. My numbers in ****** look the same. That is to say, I didn't add 4T to my diet, I substituted CO for other fat in my diet. I think this should be a good experiment as my weight was staying stable with a lot of my fat coming from olive oil, which I just read yesterday, makes a lot of people stall so I will let you know had the change is affecting me.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2009, 09:16 AM   #302
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
This is my first jar of Beanit and while it may be a tiny bit dryer, it really has a roasted flavor that comes through. The fact that it is no carb makes me give it some lee way. Now that everything is going well, I'll let in in on a secret. I went straight to 4T of CO a day right off the bat! No ill effects. My numbers in ****** look the same. That is to say, I didn't add 4T to my diet, I substituted CO for other fat in my diet. I think this should be a good experiment as my weight was staying stable with a lot of my fat coming from olive oil, which I just read yesterday, makes a lot of people stall so I will let you know had the change is affecting me.
By George, I think you've got it!! That's the way to do it!!! Let's see how it does you after a week of using it, Kay? How did you substitute it?
Old 02-28-2009, 12:25 PM   #303
Always on, slightly off

I had to change my diet up a bit to make it fit. Instead of bacon and eggs for breakfast, I did eggs and 1 piece CO fudge which is the recipe here, 4T CO, 1T Hersheys Dark cocoa, 4 drops EZ Sweet an a dash vanilla and made 4 peices and that was to be eaten over the course of the day. Lunch today, instead of pesto on a Mama Lupes low carb tortilla with shredded chicken with a bit of mozzarella on top, was changed to shrimp soup and another piece of fudge. Piece of fudge in the afternoon, Impossible bacon cheddar pie tonight made with Carbouick and No sugar Almond Breeze and another fudge about 8 or 9 tonight as I get hungry at night. So far, it doesn't keep me up but the caffeine in the cocoa might so I wonder if that is part of the problem people are having. Protein, in excess, can cause people to stall because excess protein can be converted to glucose via gluconeogenisis. It is hard to up your fat consumption with out increasing your protein so these fudge peices have been a God send!! I really shouldn't go over 80 grams of protein a day and that, along with keeping net carbs between 20 and 30 requires a lot of creativity in the fat department. My calories are about 1700 a day and I am only 5 pounds from my goal weight so if CO causes me to lose, being this close to my goal weight, there must be some truth to the weight loss theory. I think people who are stalling on CO are ADDING to their diet, not substituting so basically they are adding 500 calories a day and I don't think that will work.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #304
Always on, slightly off

Another interesting thing for what it's worth. I could barely ever make a ketone stick turn anything but beige (which is the very lowest)even on 10 - 20 carbs a day. I just checked and 1 actually had a pale pink stick! It would seem that coconut oil is more ketogenic than olive oil. Yee ha!! Ketosis is not that important per se but this is kind of physical confirmation that there is a difference between CO and olive oil. My fat grams are the same as before but it was olive oil and butter and stuff. Now it's primarily CO with some added fat that comes with eggs, ect.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:04 PM   #305
Always on, slightly off

All right, sorry but my enthusiasm is getting the best of me. I just made the mayonnaise recipe with 1 cup CO instead of 1/2 cup CO and 1/2 cup olive oil. Didn't have dijon mustard so I used 1T Helmans Dijonaise. I didn't want to run to the store for a lemon (we just got 4" of snow) so I used a couple of drops of lemon extract and it is fabulous!! Very much like my favorite, Helmans. A tad too much salt so I will cut that down to 1/4 t instead of 1/2 but this saltier version will be good on deviled eggs, just a bit much for the ranch dressing I had in mind. I've never made mayo and this really is very good. Very smooth and creamy.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:39 PM   #306
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
I just make the "bark", but instead of a bark, I happen to have small candy molds and put it in there; made it with a splash of DaVinci chocolate syrup and about .5 t of instant coffee crystals. Oh, my, was it good. Like real candy. I can have three candies per T of coconut oil, but they go down WAAAAAY to easy and fast. YUMMMMMMM

Wonder how it would taste to saute my tilapia in it tonight instead of butter....
Old 02-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #307
Always on, slightly off

I love the coffee idea! I love chocolate and coffee together. I also have heart shaped candy molds so it does make fun fudge.Also it makes it very easy to remove. I also made some fudge and added 1/4 cup sliced almonds and 1T unsweetened coconut and that was very good. Going to try a little Beanit butter with powdered erythritol, make little flat disks and put a little fudge in the bottom of the mold, put a beanit butter disk on top and then a little more fudge. Oh, that sound good!!
Old 02-28-2009, 06:17 PM   #308

It's so cool to see someone else excited about coconut oil! I love all your cooking ideas. I'm impressed you know about gluconeogenesis!

Wow, You are only 5lb to your goal. So Close!!!

I'm gonna have to take notes on you recipe teaks. I also have a candy mold. It makes it so much fun to make the cocoa candy. Mine are Rose Shaped.
I dont care for coffee myself , but adding the coffee crystals sounds like a great Mocha candy!

Oh your gonna make BeanIt Filled cups? I gotta warn you, You'll fall in love!!!!

I'm so glad the mayonaise turned out on the first try. I've never been brave enough to try it myself, but I'm also stocked to the gills on mayo. Maybe when I finally run out Ill make my own.

Try using half CO and Butter for your Tilapia, if you haven't already cooked it. CO extrends butter nicely. Another poster successfully made whipped butter subbing half the liquid oil for coconut oil and sneaks it to her hubby and son who love it and don't know about the CO.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
Old 03-02-2009, 09:34 AM   #309
Always on, slightly off

Going to make some salt free mayo today, mix 1 cup of that with 1 cup SF Almond Breeze and a packet of Hidden Valley ranch dressing. I am so looking forward to salads. One reason I was shying away was the sugar in most commercial brands of salad dressing. Now I can make my own utilizing CO which is a big bonus. Even though I am 5 pounds from my goal, the diet will continue because it doesn't stop because you are at your goal weight. Actually, that's where the 2nd part of your journey begins as you have to get creative to make this last. CO seems to give me an advantage that I hadn't discovered yet and will make maintenance easier. Last night, before bed, I was in moderate ketosis. I've never been in moderate ketosis on an olive oil based diet, even though my ratios of fat/protein/carbs have remained consistent. That's how I know you all are on to something here!
Old 03-02-2009, 09:41 AM   #310
Always on, slightly off

Oh, and Metqa, I made the Beanit cups and they are insane!! So rich and creamy I almost cryed! I used 1/4 cup CO, 1/4 cup Beanit butter, 6 drops liquid Splenda and a dash of vanilla. These are the best by far but I can only have 1 per day. They are about 200 calories each and 10 grams of protein and since I must limit protein to less than 90 grams, I have to watch it. I'm going to make the next batch with 1/2 Beanit butter, let them harden, then pour some of the chocolate fudge and put them back in the fridge.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #311

congrats on ketosis. making your own dressing sounds delightful. Ive never experimented with anything other than italian style. I'm gonna have to try ranch and blue cheese some time since those are my favorite dairy dressings.

I know you'd luv the butter filled cups. how big do you make them? I started making them in mini silicon cups, so they are the size of the snack size Reeses cups instead of the full size cups. I would pour some syrup on the bottom of the cup let it harden, then pipe in the PB/AB, then cover with more syrup. But they'd crack when I'd bite them where the to syrups didn't mesh together. Another way was to add a pinch of flax seed to the cup, pour all the syrup, then pipe the butter in. the PB would sink below the syrup, but the flax would keep it from reaching the bottom, so the chocolate could harden all around the PB, and I got a nice crunchy seed bottom to boot!! I love adding seeds to my bark. flax, sesame, hemp, and pumpkin are my favorites. I'd cover the bottom with seeds and pour the bark on top. SO Yummy! I will add whole almonds but only one per bite size area, cause the seeds are already so much to chew.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:35 AM   #312
Always on, slightly off

I noticed that my mayo was a tiny bit firm to mix in with my hard boiled eggs so I lightly microwaved 2T, (OK, a little more than lightly!) and noticed the resulting sauce was VERY much like hollendaise! (sp?) I am going to melt a bit of this mayo, make some Carbquik biscuits, a little ham and a egg on top and pour the sauce over. This is another easy way to up my CO intake and now the mayo double duties as a sauce to boot!
Old 03-06-2009, 07:43 AM   #313
Always on, slightly off

Metqa, I thought about a creamy italian with CO mayo and Good Seasons Italian salad dressing. Carbs are pretty much zilch in the mix so I bet it would be good. One thing abouth the mayo as it does get a bit firm in the fridge so i have to take what i want and microwave it on defrost to raise the temp a bit. Very carefully though because if you warm it too much, the eggs cook and it curdles so you have to micro, stir, micro strir just until it is barely warm. Found out the hard way but it is well worth the effort.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:14 AM   #314

What if you added more of an unsaturated oil to it with the coconut, that'll help it keep it's spreadablility. Maybe macadamiua nut, or pumpkin seed oil? Someone made mayo with Bacon Fat! I about Died!!! I gotta do that someday. Creamy Bacony Spread!
Old 03-08-2009, 02:43 PM   #315
Always on, slightly off

Has anyone used CO to condition their hair? I'm thinking wetting the hair, melting some CO, combing it through, leave on 15-30 minutes under a cap and shampoo out. I will do later and let you know but if any of you have tryed, let me know.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #316

Quote:
Has anyone used CO to condition their hair? I'm thinking wetting the hair, melting some CO, combing it through, leave on 15-30 minutes under a cap and shampoo out. I will do later and let you know but if any of you have tryed, let me know.
I don't shampoo it out. seems counter intuitive to me. I use conditioner to cleanse and use coconut oil on my scalp to protect it and it seems to keep dandruff and itchy scalp at bay.

but I have heard of folks using much more directly on the hair as a conditioner.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #317
Always on, slightly off

Ok, the coconut oil on the hair thing didn't work!! I need to shampoo it out. Was left with a greasy mess. But if I know me, it was because I probably used way too much! ha ha If a little's good, a lot is better!!
Old 03-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #318

Quote:
Ok, the coconut oil on the hair thing didn't work!! I need to shampoo it out. Was left with a greasy mess. But if I know me, it was because I probably used way too much! ha ha If a little's good, a lot is better!!
I just dip my fingertips into the liquid oil and massage my scalp. I'm imagining your hair after a hot steamy shower and all the heat leaving and your hair turning to Magic Shell!!
Old 03-11-2009, 04:18 PM   #319
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LDLONLINE
WOE: Atkins & VCO
Start Date: September 1, 2009
Struggling but hopeful

Well I finally finished reading all 11 pages of this thread, wow!

ABOUT ME:

I've been trying to get myself up to 4T CO but so far I have been unsuccessful. I bought Bruce Fife's books and the recipes are... welll... I don't care for them let's say But I'm sure it's me and not the recipes because I've got two black thumbs attached and I can easily ruin even the simplest recipe.

I don't like the taste of the coconut oil (so the odorless stuff is all I'll ever use), and the fact that it doesn't mix well with coffee or tea or cold drinks makes it harder for me to incorporate. I also do not like Yogurt of any kind.

I'm trying to stick with whole foods, so the carb substitute stuff isn't really my thing. I'm also not crazy about protein powders and other food substitutes. I want to eat the actual food. I'd rather just use whole wheat flour or whatever is necessary. (I'd like to stay away from the more heavily processed flours though and grind my own seeds or buy amaranth flour or whatever). I even bought non-homogenized milk like Bruce Fife suggested (exceptionally tasty!!). My goal is to try to put together a dairy-rich unprocessed foods menu. Carbs themselves aren't on my blacklist, only refined carbs. So bring on the broccoli, green beans and fruit. Oh, and Stevia is my sweetener of choice. I don't really want Splenda in my life.

I don't have any allergies so I don't have to worry about gluten or peanuts, or diary. I do not eat fish. I just won't. I do not like them Sam I am! And it's a long story. However, Shrimp is just delightful. I'm not looking for vegetable-based menus either. I don't HATE vegetables, but they can't be bitter tasting. I do enjoy a good vegetable soup or a nice thick beef stew :-)

I am a believer! I am 100% in favor of CO! When I DO manage to get in the oil, I feel incredible! I walk faster, get in and out of the car with less struggle (easily one of my LEAST favorite activities!), and I don't make that grunting sound so much when I get up and down from the furniture.

Now comes the hard part; trying to put all of my research together into some kind of simple dairy-based food program (sans Yogurt) which includes at least 4T/day of CO. Bruce says someone my weight might even benefit from 5/day.

So I guess I'm in search of meat and dairy recipes that use whole foods and coconut oil and/or coconut products.

That's my extremely fussy self in a semi-large nutshell. I'm glad to read all of the crafty ways you guys are coming up with to get healthy! I'm hoping that by trying the 3-ingredient examples, I can ditch these black thumbs for the two green ones I magically have when I tend to my houseplants. Anyone else have interchangeable thumbs out there?
Old 03-12-2009, 11:10 AM   #320

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Welcome LDL!! I use 4 TBL of coconut oil daily. I don't have a terrible time getting it in either. I just take it off the spoon. Therefore I don't have to worry about getting all the drippings after frying an egg in it! And I don't have to worry about how much of a candy I needed to eat in order to get in a TBL of coconut oil. Too much for me to handle! The same reason I don't want to count calories and hate to count carbs. I take 2 TBL of virgin coconut oil with my breakfast and 2 TBL with my lunch. My dinner is too fatty (I love blue cheese dressing and avocado on my salads!) therefore I cannot tolerate it at that time. And btw, green beans and broccoli fit nicely into a low carb way of life. I also include berries in my plan--they are awesome in my yogurt at lunchtime! We are not anti-carb, we are low carb. I wish you well in your journey!!
Old 03-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #321
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lc-chica
Stats: 164.4/152/140 5'5"
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 4-14-13
I bought some Nutiva CO the other day and am making some chocolate bark today. I just have one question. I noticed recipes for it mention in the directions to spread it out to desired thinness. Because it is melted though, mine is pretty liquid-y and just spread REALLY thin by itself. Is this what happens to everyone? I think I'll make it in candy molds or muffin cups next time. I'm sure it'll be fine but just wondered if I did something wrong maybe..?

By the way, the CO, once melted, smelt DIVINE - I looove coconut. Only thing is I'll need to get some that does not taste like coconut (extra virgin?) to make non-coconutty tasting things, right? I am so excited to try out the ideas from this forum, thanks so much everyone!
Old 03-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #322
Always on, slightly off

LDL an ic-chica, Welcome, welcome!! My very fav way of getting coconut oil (CO) into my diet is the bark. I actually have never spred it out. I have small silicone pans that after refrigerating, they pop right out. I use 4T CO and make 4 peices and that is a days worth. Here are my 2 recipes I use. If you are super LC, substitute CarbNot Beanit Butter from Netrition as it has no carbs but makes fab fudge.
Peanut Butter Fudge
1/4 cup CO
1/4 cup peanut butter or Beanit Butter
Few drops of liquid Splenda (I like EZ Sweetz or Fiberfit but you can use a couple of packets)
Melt Co in micro for 30 seconds. You want it melted, not hot. Wisk in peanut butter and sweetener. Divide into mold. Refriderate at least 1 hour.

Regular Fudge
1/4 cup CO
1T Hersheys Dark Cocoa
Few drops of sweetener
Melt CO, wisk in cocoa and sweetener. Pour into molds and refridgerate.

I have also made the CO mayo with all CO and love it. This morning, I mixed 1T CO with 2T butter and spread it on LC toast and that was good. I hope some of this helps. Give us your thoughts.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #323

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc-chica View Post
I bought some Nutiva CO the other day and am making some chocolate bark today. I just have one question. I noticed recipes for it mention in the directions to spread it out to desired thinness. Because it is melted though, mine is pretty liquid-y and just spread REALLY thin by itself. Is this what happens to everyone? I think I'll make it in candy molds or muffin cups next time. I'm sure it'll be fine but just wondered if I did something wrong maybe..?

By the way, the CO, once melted, smelt DIVINE - I looove coconut. Only thing is I'll need to get some that does not taste like coconut (extra virgin?) to make non-coconutty tasting things, right? I am so excited to try out the ideas from this forum, thanks so much everyone!
Well, yeah. Desired thickness will have more to do with the dimensions of your dish. if you have a large wide dish then it will be as thin as a slick of water. But if you use a smaller dish, it will have less space to spread and will freeze thicker (deeper) I use the styrofoam packets that prewrapped fresh vegges are on. they are like 4x8 inches or so. if i want to embedd seeds and nuts, I'll use the square one thats only 5x5 so the bark will be thicker. iF i just want a thin snap of pure bark I'll use the pan with the wider dimensions to make it thinner.

I just pour it in and tilt the dish till the entire bottom is coated then set it down to settle and even out. that's all.

Hope That Helps.

Hey Cindy, looks like you are blending the Pbutter into the chocolate syrup. I like to make the stuffed cups. I can't remember did you try that yet? You put just a bit of the syrup int he bottom of your silicon cups and freeze for a hot minute, till it's just solid but not snap state, then you pipe or spoon in a little dab of Pbutter and flatten it almost to the edge of the cup then spoon more syrup over it till it's covered completely then freeze again. I think they are as good or better that Reese's, though I still do like reeses! :blush:

Last edited by metqa; 03-12-2009 at 01:40 PM..
Old 03-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #324
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the tips and recipes! Now as far as adding peanut butter, what kind of coconut oil do you use? The one I have has a definite coconut taste. Does that taste odd with the peanut butter or does the pb cover over it?

I tried the bark I made and it is so yummy. And it is so simple to make.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #325

Quote:
Thanks for the tips and recipes! Now as far as adding peanut butter, what kind of coconut oil do you use? The one I have has a definite coconut taste. Does that taste odd with the peanut butter or does the pb cover over it?

I tried the bark I made and it is so yummy. And it is so simple to make.
I gotta tell you something profound . . .
. . .
. . .

I hate coconut!!!!! Now that we understand that, I have to say I love the peanut butter cups with the natural coconutty smelling tasting version!!! It tastes good with the refined also, more like the traditional candy, but I have grown to love the virgin smell and taste, it's not overpowering. But try it both ways and see which you like better
Old 03-12-2009, 08:24 PM   #326
Senior LCF Member

Thanks! Good to know. I'll have to try it.

So far I have just tried the chocolate bark and that is really good. I want to try some other things, like mixing CO with butter (that sounds good!) or cream cheese or just replacing oil in any old recipe (mainly muffin recipes I am thinking).

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:21 PM   #327

Quote:
Thanks! Good to know. I'll have to try it.

So far I have just tried the chocolate bark and that is really good. I want to try some other things, like mixing CO with butter (that sounds good!) or cream cheese or just replacing oil in any old recipe (mainly muffin recipes I am thinking).

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I used cococnut oil as the cooking oil in my Atkins Blueberry Muffins ( No longer in production) They came out more wonderful than when I made them with cream cheese. ( though they are pretty good with cream cheese too)

I was afraid they'd be too heavy, but they were suprisingly light. Even after cooking they weren't greasy or anything. It's just regular oil.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:58 AM   #328

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
lc-chica

The kind of coconut oil that has no taste is the expeller pressed, or refined. Louana is one to try since you can find it at Wal-Mart, if you have one close by, and it is cheap. I buy my expeller pressed from Tropical Traditions so I can get it by the gallon and I like the way the oil is processed. My whole family uses it, of course they don't know that!! They simply refuse to eat anything coconutty so I have to have the expeller pressed around. I use it for baking their high carb goodies and it makes the best treats around! Everyone wants to know how I get my goodies so moist. The trick is coconut oil. I sub one for one when a recipe calls for vegetable oil. The virgin I save for myself so I can have it off the spoon for my daily 4 TBL allotment. HTH!
Old 03-13-2009, 08:47 AM   #329
Always on, slightly off

Metqa, Oh you bet I make the p-nut butter cups! I have to keep myself out of them! Dang, those are good, I don't care if you are LC or not!! I took a batch to work and they all thought I was a genius!! haha I have used both the virgin (you can taste the coconut) and the Luana from Walmart (tasteless) and I don't have a preference. If you don't love coconut, the tasteless is fine. I mostly use the virgin but like for my CO mayo, I use the tasteless.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:37 PM   #330
Senior LCF Member

This stuff really works! Not only does it taste great but I really think it is helping my appetite big time. I have been soo good lately on my diet .. except today I was having crazy cravings, wanting to eat and eat, and even at one point told my husband - all I want to do is eat! What is wrong with me? Then I realized - I haven't had ANY coconut oil today (forgot)- usually I have it in the morning. I definitely think there is something to this.