Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2008, 09:27 AM   #271
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jigglenomore
Stats: Mac Truck/Small SUV/Mini-Cooper
WOE: Atkins/South Beach/Low Glycemic/Voodoo
Metga, the lecithin tip is great! I have 2 different Circulon skillets that let almost everything stick no matter how much I spray, etc., so can't wait to try this!

Also, the other day I remembered that my mom used to whip up her own soft-spread butter, so I tried it with coconut oil and it turned out great! Tastes just like butter! My son and husband don't even realizing they're getting CO when they use it. Didn't have an exact recipe but here's what I did:

In a small mixing bowl (I used my Magic Bullet) mix the following:

1 stick of butter, softened
1-2 tablespoons liquid oil of your choice (or you can use all CO, I was chicken to the first try!)
2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil
salt to taste
ice water

1. Whip the butter up till fluffy.
2. Gradually whip in the oil.
3. Add ice water a teaspoon at a time and whip after each addition.
4. Salt to taste
5. Add a drop of yellow food color, if desired.
6. Keep whipping till the mixture is the consistency you want and refrigerate
in a small, saved soft-serve tub.

When I took it out of the fridge the first time it was a little firm so I nuked it and whipped in a little more oil to soften. Next time I will double this and use a bigger tub!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2008, 06:26 PM   #272
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglenomore View Post
Metga, the lecithin tip is great! I have 2 different Circulon skillets that let almost everything stick no matter how much I spray, etc., so can't wait to try this!

Also, the other day I remembered that my mom used to whip up her own soft-spread butter, so I tried it with coconut oil and it turned out great! Tastes just like butter! My son and husband don't even realizing they're getting CO when they use it. Didn't have an exact recipe but here's what I did:

In a small mixing bowl (I used my Magic Bullet) mix the following:

1 stick of butter, softened
1-2 tablespoons liquid oil of your choice (or you can use all CO, I was chicken to the first try!)
2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil
salt to taste
ice water

1. Whip the butter up till fluffy.
2. Gradually whip in the oil.
3. Add ice water a teaspoon at a time and whip after each addition.
4. Salt to taste
5. Add a drop of yellow food color, if desired.
6. Keep whipping till the mixture is the consistency you want and refrigerate
in a small, saved soft-serve tub.

When I took it out of the fridge the first time it was a little firm so I nuked it and whipped in a little more oil to soften. Next time I will double this and use a bigger tub!
Wow, that sounds really neat. I wonder if I could add sweet flavor instead of salt, and use it on my waffles? Right now I eat 'em plain right off the iron.
I got a ceramic butter bell jar that let's me keep butter out at room temp. I fill the cup then invert it into the crock and add cool water. it keeps insects and floating mold and fungus off of the butter and it lasts a long time even though it is room temp and spreadable. I forgot about it when I quit cooking and left a little butter for almost three weeks and it had just started growing fuzzy when I cleaned it yesterday.

I wonder if whipped butter would be too soft to keep in my bell?
HA, BF would never forgive me if he knew I was sneaking him C.O. He barely forgives me for the last time I tried! (snirk!) I'd have to use the refined without smell kind.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
Old 06-01-2008, 06:58 PM   #273
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jigglenomore
Stats: Mac Truck/Small SUV/Mini-Cooper
WOE: Atkins/South Beach/Low Glycemic/Voodoo
Ha! He still hasn't forgiven you for it? I can absolutely not discern any coconut flavor in this and my son and husband love it! Go ahead, sneak some in on him!

I wonder if those flavored drops and sweetener would work in this for you? I haven't bought any of them, but there are a couple of threads on here where people are raving about them in stuff...

If you whipped enough coconut oil into this it might stay firm enough in your butter bell, I'm not sure. Especially if you omit most of the liquid oil it might. Next time I'm going to use all CO and see how firm it is. It would stay too firm in the fridge, I'm sure.

Hope you like it!

(Darn, I forgot to buy my lecithin when I went shopping today!).

Last edited by jigglenomore; 06-01-2008 at 06:59 PM..
Old 06-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #274

Gallery: Meek75
WOE: Atkins
posting to subscribe.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:42 PM   #275
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Motts Landing
Start Date: restarted Jan 08'
I just found this recipe & posted it over in the LC recipe/help/suggestions area but thot fitting to post under CO recipe/ideas as well. I have not tried making it yet (gonna be out of town for a week or so but will try it when I get back.

Creamy Italian Garlic Dressing:

One pint of sour cream
1/4 cup EV Coconut Oil
1/2 tsp each of oregano, basil, tarragon, and pepper
1/4 tsp rosemary
3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 or 2 tsp garlic powder (to taste)
1/16 tsp of stevia (not too much, just so you can barely taste the sweetness)
sea salt to taste
This is best made the day before to allow the spices to permeate the mix.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:31 PM   #276

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
metga,

I am reading Bruce Fife's book called "Coconut Lover's Cookbook" and he states that coconut oil is great for frying with but that some foods tend to stick to the pan. He suggests making a coconut oil blend in order to improve the non-sticking property of coconut oil. All you do is mix in another type of oil with the CO. Here is what he suggests

4 tsp CO mixed with 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil (4:1 ratio)
4 tsp CO mixed with 1 tsp lard or bacon drippings (4:1 ratio)
4 tsp CO mixed with 2 tsp butter (2:1 ratio)
2 tsp CO mixed with 2 tsp palm oil (1:1 ratio)

This is if you ever find yourself without lecithin, or for me who never has found lecithin LOL. He states that coconut oil is a great oil to cook and bake with but with some foods that stick, like meat and eggs, you need a little help. How very creative you are!
Old 06-20-2008, 06:04 PM   #277
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1texas1
WOE: Low carbs and protein...
Where do u find the virgin coconut oil? I have just found the regular coconut oil.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:07 PM   #278
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jimzgrl
Stats: 245/217.4/170
WOE: Still figuring it out!
Start Date: Restart-Everyday!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1texas1 View Post
Where do u find the virgin coconut oil? I have just found the regular coconut oil.

I get mine at netrition.com Lots of great stuff there!!
Old 07-15-2008, 06:07 PM   #279
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: helpingrachel
Stats: 167/ 162.4/140 5ft 8
WOE: NK
I get mine from whole foods. Love it, Love it, love it!!!

Big change in my energy and weight loss.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:17 PM   #280
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I just love this forum, the recipes and tips/tricks from everyone are just great!

This is my favorite coconut treat, it kind of reminds me of the high carb oatmeal chocolate drop no bake cookies. I found this recipe a while ago on a different forum and I'm not sure who to give the credit to, but they're great! The original recipe is below, my edits are in brackets.

Ingredients

2 1/2 cup Splenda [I used 1/2 cup xylitol and a bit of stevia to taste - I don't like super sweet sweets anymore]
2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup margarine [extra virgin coconut oil]
1/2 cup milk [1/4 c cream + 1/4 c water]
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter [natural]
3 cups unsweetened fine shredded coconut

Instructions
Mix Splenda (or favorite sweeteners), cocoa, margarine (coconut oil) and milk (cream/water mix) in saucepan. Bring to a boil (stir constantly). Boil for EXACTLY one minute (do not overcook).

Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and vanilla. When peanut butter is evenly spread throughout mixture, add the coconut. Stir to coat evenly.

Drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper. Chill in refrigerator. Enjoy!

Makes about 20 "yummies" depending on size.

Once totally cooled and firm I store them in a plastic storage container in the fridge.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:35 AM   #281

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1texas1 View Post
Vitamin Shoppe and Walmart.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:38 AM   #282

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
This is great for cooking and dressings

Mary's Oil Blend from "Eat Fat Lose Fat"
Simply mix 1/3 part coconut oil, 1/3 expellar pressd sesame oil, and 1/3 virgin olive oil
Old 09-01-2008, 11:08 AM   #283

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
This is great for cooking and dressings

Mary's Oil Blend from "Eat Fat Lose Fat"
Simply mix 1/3 part coconut oil, 1/3 expellar pressd sesame oil, and 1/3 virgin olive oil
Ooh, Thanks, Lisabinil.

Jigglenomore, did you make more whipped CO butter? How did it turn out with more CO. I'm curious.

Last edited by metqa; 09-01-2008 at 11:15 AM..
Old 09-21-2008, 05:30 AM   #284
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Gemmee
WOE: Modified Atkins/South Beach
Start Date: June 2008
Source, VCO

I live in an area where sourcing coconut oil is practically non-existant--any kind at all. I had done some investigating online, and found Mountain Rose Herbs in California has the best price I could find--even including the shipping costs from there to Eastern Canada. Initially I ordered one gallon-- it lasted me a couple of months. A couple of weeks ago, I ordered a 5 gallon container and it came in less than a week. I'm thinking it's going to last at least a year.

If anyone else has found a good source in Canada, I would sure love to know.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:44 AM   #285
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Gemmee
WOE: Modified Atkins/South Beach
Start Date: June 2008
Hot chocolate

I have a recipe for hot chocolate that allows me to get in as much coconut oil a day as I wish.... If you're new to coconut oil, you should probably start slow-- like maybe a tablespoon or so... Some have mentioned about coconut oil in tea/coffee and their distaste for the flavor; the coconut oil in this drink is undetectable... The more you add the creamier it gets. Sometimes I substitute coconut flavoring for the vanilla

Hot chocolate: (One serving) In blender
1-2 Tbsp coconut oil
1/4 (or less) tsp vanilla
Stevia to taste
3/4 cup boiling water
BLEND all together.

Add: 1 egg-- let sit for 40 seconds or so to coddle the egg, then blend again.

Add: 1-2 TBsp of unsweetened cocoa powder (I like Hersey's cocoa the best). Blend again and it's ready to serve, and by this time is also the right temperature to drink.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:25 PM   #286

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
metga,

I am reading Bruce Fife's book called "Coconut Lover's Cookbook" and he states that coconut oil is great for frying with but that some foods tend to stick to the pan. He suggests making a coconut oil blend in order to improve the non-sticking property of coconut oil. All you do is mix in another type of oil with the CO. Here is what he suggests

4 tsp CO mixed with 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil (4:1 ratio)
4 tsp CO mixed with 1 tsp lard or bacon drippings (4:1 ratio)
4 tsp CO mixed with 2 tsp butter (2:1 ratio)
2 tsp CO mixed with 2 tsp palm oil (1:1 ratio)

This is if you ever find yourself without lecithin, or for me who never has found lecithin LOL. He states that coconut oil is a great oil to cook and bake with but with some foods that stick, like meat and eggs, you need a little help. How very creative you are!
I don't think I ever thanked you for this post! I'm sorry, and Thank you. I have definitely seen the improvement by adding the secondary oils. I don't think I'd have thought of that without your post. so Thank you Lots.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:40 AM   #287
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ladybugg
Stats: 206/203/140 - 5'2" 47yrs
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmee View Post
I live in an area where sourcing coconut oil is practically non-existant--any kind at all. I had done some investigating online, and found Mountain Rose Herbs in California has the best price I could find--even including the shipping costs from there to Eastern Canada. Initially I ordered one gallon-- it lasted me a couple of months. A couple of weeks ago, I ordered a 5 gallon container and it came in less than a week. I'm thinking it's going to last at least a year.

If anyone else has found a good source in Canada, I would sure love to know.
I get mine at health food stores
Old 10-31-2008, 02:45 PM   #288

metga,

Your welcome. I came across the problem of my eggs sticking to the pan when frying so continued to use butter only, but when I came across his solution in the book thought I would share. Now I use butter and coconut oil when frying my eggs. What a great solution!!
Old 11-17-2008, 12:41 PM   #289
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: harymarris
I just got my first large container of virgin coconut oil and decided to make a kind of tropical smoothie with fresh lime, honey, ice and a little milk this time - will try something different after grocery shopping. However, the oil coagulated and I had to gag down the chunks as for $35.00/container, I don't want to waste a bit of it. Any suggestions? The flavor was delicious but the chunks were a little hard to stomach.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #290

OMG, you paid $35! How much CO did you buy? It will solidify in cold watery drinks so unfortunately you will have to find other ways to ingest it. There are so many ideas though. You really need to read through all the threads to find the ideas and recipes that will suit you best. For example Some emulsify it with egg. Many add it to hot drinks, or cook with it. Ideally you should be replacing the coconut oil with any vegetable(seed) oils you normally cook with (ditch the soybean and canola oil)

make cocoa bark candy, or mix it with butter or bacon grease for non-stick skillet cooking.

If you decide you don't want it, I'LL take if from you! Don't you DARE throw it away!!!!

Here is a bunch of links to the busiest coconut threads. Read them. Digest Them. Absorb Them. Then do the same with your coconut oil
Old 01-16-2009, 10:39 AM   #291
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
So....why are we eating coconut oil?? Same cals as butter... health reasons? Taste? I have some but not sure how to use it-put a question in another thread.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:08 AM   #292

it is a short chain triglyceride which means it doesn't require long digestion and can burn as readily as carbs.

It is a natually saturated fat which is healthy for the body, and less likely to be rancid than processed seed oils

It contains, lauric acid and lots of other healthy benefits.

You can cook high temp with it without fear of transmutation.

It is similar to the oil our skin naturally produces, so is a good skin protectant.

very filling.

Good laxative

good nutrition for babies

Shelf life of two years or more as opposed to corn or soy oil's few months tops
Old 01-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #293

atkinsgoddess

Some of us use the coconut oil to up our fats. When you are on a low carb diet you need to up your fats and protein as well as lower your carbs. Coconut oil seems to be a good oil to use because it has thermogenic effects--it is just great that this oil actually helps you to burn more fat just by eating it. It is an anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-viral substance that can kick all sorts of nasty stuff to the curb. And it works for just about everything--I eat it by the spoon, slather it on my face for my moisturizer, put it under my armpits to get rid of that ketosis smell, use it in my baking when shortening is called for, my dog loves it too!!!, give it to my kids when they are at the beginnings of a cold........
Old 02-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #294
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Hi! I'm new to this forum but am very excited about coconut oil. Am going to make the coconut bark tomorrow and make sure I incorporate daily. Love that it is immediately available for energy and think it will be a great addition. Was way surprised to find it at Walmart! I'm a huge Netrition fan. Is there kind of an upper limit to eating this stuff? I mean, how much is everyone else eating, esp. you, Helpingrachel, as you state an increase in energy?
Old 02-26-2009, 08:14 PM   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
Hi! I'm new to this forum but am very excited about coconut oil. Am going to make the coconut bark tomorrow and make sure I incorporate daily. Love that it is immediately available for energy and think it will be a great addition. Was way surprised to find it at Walmart! I'm a huge Netrition fan. Is there kind of an upper limit to eating this stuff? I mean, how much is everyone else eating, esp. you, Helpingrachel, as you state an increase in energy?

I would only start with a Tablespoon a day until your body gets used to it. some of us have worked up to 4 T as supplemental, or incorporating it into daily food use. If you try to eat 4T all at once from the start you will feel nauseated. So go slowly. Try stir frying your dinner in it.
I buy the Walmart brand cause it is refined, but I also have a virgin unrefined jar for making bark and nut bars and such. You can make magic Shell for your low carb ice cream, or use it instead of oil in your low carb muffins, I even started using it as my primary body oil. It absorbs through your skin too!
Old 02-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #296
Always on, slightly off

I read on an earlier post that the only benefits came from organic unrefined CO. So I won't get the kick in metabolism with the Walmart brand?
Old 02-26-2009, 09:29 PM   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
I read on an earlier post that the only benefits came from organic unrefined CO. So I won't get the kick in metabolism with the Walmart brand?
False. Coconut oil, refined or not is a Medium Chain Trygliceride. The energy part of it doesn't change.

What does change is the shelf life, the taste(refined is none) and some small amounts of antioxidants. there are some other components that are different but you'd be better getting those in more rich oils like olive oils and raw seed and nuts and such. Coconut oil is not very high in antioxidants. the thing that keeps it fresh is the fact that it is fully saturated.
the few antioxidants it has are removed in the refining process so the refined oil has a shelf life of maybe half a year whereas the virgin has a shelf life of two years from the benefits of both antioxidants and saturation. I use both. I get all my antioxidants from my fruits and veggies and whatever supps I take. I don't depend on my oils to provide them.

ETA: Besides, if you go to the pharmacy section you may find that your walmart carries an virgin coconut oil in a 16oz jar for around $10-$15. So you can get both there if you want.

Last edited by metqa; 02-26-2009 at 09:30 PM..
Old 02-27-2009, 01:50 PM   #298
Always on, slightly off

Metqa, Thank you so much for your guidance and insight. I love the taste of coconut so I just bought a gallon of Nutiva EVCO from Netrition so I'm excited. Had 2T of CO today with no ill effect. An increase in energy though!! I'm excited about this. What a breakthrough for low carbers!
Old 02-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #299
Always on, slightly off

I just made a great faux peanut butter recipe utilizing CO. Carb Not Beanit Butter is available from Netrition.

1/4 cup CO
1/4 Carb Not Beanit Butter (Roasted soybean butter, I think the stuff is very good)
4 drops liquid Splenda
few drops vanilla

Microwave the CO and Beanit Butter 30 secs on high. Beat well with a wisk. Add Splenda and vanilla, wisk a little more. Pour into silicon muffin pan (really easy removal) and refridgerate an hour at least. I like the Beanit Butter because it has no net carbs so this is a no carb recipe. You could add cocoa or top with the choc. fudge recipe making half and half in each bite.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:06 PM   #300

Hmm, I wish you were around a couple of years ago. I tried Beanit and hated it. Too dry and tasteless to me, but I'll bet with the coconut oil added it's probably so rich and creamy.Yummy! If I get another chance to have it I will try your mod. Thanks

And Wow, you spelled my name right too! Most folks think it's a g but it's a Q.

I might try that to reconstitute some butters that separate. Y'know the natrual almond butter turns into a lump in the bottom with all the oil on top. Great way to get in extra coconut oil. You're a genius!!