Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2005, 10:59 PM   #151
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Scott123 I need some help!!

I tried a fudge recipe this week that I found in the Low Carb Energy magazine. The picture of it looked so good I could not resist trying it. And the texture when I made it was wonderful! So smooth and creamy and it was so easy to make. But it was made with Splenda and a very small amount of Liquid Sweet 'n Low. Anyway, when I tasted it when it was hot and still runny it tasted divine. But after putting in the frig and hardening, it had a bad chemical aftertaste. I was so disappointed. Anyway, since the recipe is copywrited (it's originally from the cookbook Eat Yourself Thin With Fabulous Desserts by Nancy Moshier, R.N.) I can't print out the actual recipe but I was wondering if perhaps you might advise me how to change the sweeteners from Splenda and the 1 tsp. Liquid Sweet 'n Low to get the chemical taste out of it. It has 2 cups Splenda. Could I maybe add some PolyD to it along with some other sweetener to take the place of the 2 cups Splenda and 1 tsp. Liquid Sweet 'n Low? I was thinking of perhaps using a combination of Whey Low granular and something else plus some PolyD. I want to get this fudge right as it has a dreamy texture to it. Of all things it has American cheese in it but you can't tell it. Any help would be appreciated?

For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. (2 Chr 16:9 KJV)

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2005, 04:49 AM   #152
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
I have made the recipe in the past. . .but I use Xylitol, about 1/4 cup, splenda in the amount of 1/2 cup and Stevia Plus (1/2 packet) to make up 1 cup of sugar. . .

The recipe worked fine. . .I guess the above isn't sweet enough for the recipe. . .if it has 2 cups Splenda--so I'm thinking double the above plus a little more.

I will make it again this year. (Oh, I was stubborn and used Velveeta last year. . .other than extra carbs, I could see no reason not too, as it turned out really great!)

Would be interested in Scott123's take on the polyD, as I have a load of it this year. . .
Old 10-17-2005, 11:04 PM   #153
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater
I have made the recipe in the past. . .but I use Xylitol, about 1/4 cup, splenda in the amount of 1/2 cup and Stevia Plus (1/2 packet) to make up 1 cup of sugar. . .

The recipe worked fine. . .I guess the above isn't sweet enough for the recipe. . .if it has 2 cups Splenda--so I'm thinking double the above plus a little more.

I will make it again this year. (Oh, I was stubborn and used Velveeta last year. . .other than extra carbs, I could see no reason not too, as it turned out really great!)

Would be interested in Scott123's take on the polyD, as I have a load of it this year. . .

I'm hoping Scott123 sees my question as I definitely want to try this again. Did yours have any chemical aftertaste or was it good? Trouble is I don't have two out of the three sweeteners that you mentioned. I have the pure Stevia powder. So I'll wait on Scott123 to answer (hopefully). I don't think they were talking about the regular Velveeta cheese but the spreadable kind in a jar maybe (if there is such a thing). They said something about spreadable. I really would like to get this recipe tasting good because it has such a great texture.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:27 AM   #154
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I thought my fudge was YUMMY, but I've been on LC for so long, you can't totally trust my taste buds. . .

Sorry you don't have the other sugar subs.

I don't use a huge amount per recipe, but I think the results are worth a LITTLE. . .I mainly use xylitol, have ordered, but not used yet Erythritol, which is supposedly lower calorie cup for cup, and has fewer tummy side effects.

I really can't use much maltitol, really has side effects for me. . .and it is in all commercial candies. . .

I'm thinking I've read in the posts that Scott123 is working a bunch. . .but I'm thinking he'll answer.

Bottom line, the recipe is a WINNER! for me anyway!
Old 10-20-2005, 05:03 PM   #155
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
I am working a bunch- thanks for your patience.

Linda, you've got two issues going on here. The first is the well known phenomenon that splenda needs a second sweetener when making chocolate sweets. The second issue is that saccharin is, for a huge number of people, bitter tasting and horrible. I wouldn't necessarily avoid the splenda, just combine it with something else. I've got a few recommendations of sweeteners to use.

1. Buy some Ace K. It's 2 bucks from netrition. You can sub 4 packets of sweet one for the teaspoon of liquid sweet n' low (1/6th cup equivalent) and use the same 2 cups splenda. This addition will resolve the aftertaste you get from the saccharin (get rid of that stuff!) but still not change the recipe all that much/create any major variables. This is the simplest solution.

2. If you're okay with whey low (I'm not) then you should be able to get away with 2 cups splenda and 8 teaspoons whey low. I don't have firm numbers on this, but I'm pretty sure whey low should have similar synergy with splenda as saccharin does.

3. Polyd (and sugar alcohols) get into trickier territory. The whey low should dissolve fine following the recipe's directions, but with the polyd and SAs you're going to need a lot more heat. A polyd solution generally needs to boil in order for the polyd to melt properly and for some reason when you boil cream and polyd the cream goes translucent and loses all it's creaminess. Erythritol takes a lot of heat to melt as well. If you're happy with the texture, I'd stick with the high intensity sweeteners (splenda and ace k). If you do want to add polyd (or erythritol), I'd try just a little bit and see what it does to the cream as you heat it.

4. As with any dessert, a third sweetener would be ideal. I swear by liquid splenda, erythritol and ace k, but if you want to go the whey low route, than here's the formula I'd use for this recipe:

1 1/3 C. splenda
1/4 C. whey low
4 packets of Sweet One

Lastly, whatever you use, watch your cream as you heat it. If it goes translucent, you're going to need to try a different sweetener or heat it more gently. I have to admit that I'm still trying to understand why cream turns clear with certain sweeteners. It's a mystery to me.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:13 PM   #156
Major LCF Poster!

THANK YOU!!

Thanks so much, Scott123, for all the information. I don't have the Ace K but can order some I guess. I need to order some Erythritol anyway as I am out almost. I have Maltitol and Diabetisweet but I really do not want to use a SA. I guess I'll not try the PolyD. The fudge is smooth and a nice texture as it is. I never dreamed that small amount of Sweet 'n Low would make something bitter but maybe that is what did it. A big waste of ingredients as I threw it all away. Anyway, I sure appreciate your suggestions. You're the BEST!!
Old 10-21-2005, 04:24 AM   #157
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

BettyR and Scott123, they've been asking for help on pecan pie in another post. . .and with polyD.

BettyR, know you're busy with Rita clean up and Scott working too hard. . .

Oh, BettyR, was your pecan pie the pecan cake posted earlier?
Old 10-21-2005, 10:47 PM   #158
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
I was the one asking about pecan pie with polydextrose on the other thread. I have polydextrose, Erythritol, Diabetisweet and liquid Splenda as well as Carbalose and Carbquik. I'd like to use these ingredients to make pecan pie for the holidays. Has anyone tried pecan pie with the syrup made with polyd? I haven't made the syrup yet, but would try it if I could make a good pecan pie without too much intestinal distress. BettyR, you mentioned having a recipe. I will be waiting for it whenever you can post it.

TIA
Judy
Old 10-26-2005, 08:39 AM   #159
Major LCF Poster!

[QUOTE=scott123]I am working a bunch- thanks for your patience.

Linda, you've got two issues going on here. The first is the well known phenomenon that splenda needs a second sweetener when making chocolate sweets. The second issue is that saccharin is, for a huge number of people, bitter tasting and horrible. I wouldn't necessarily avoid the splenda, just combine it with something else. I've got a few recommendations of sweeteners to use.

Scott123, I have a low-carb cookbook by Nancy Moshier which uses liquid Sweet 'n Low along with Splenda in most of her recipes. How would I know how much liquid Splenda to substitute for the liquid Sweet 'n Low? I have both Trish's and Sweetzfree so if you can give me both substitutions, it would be most appreciated. Of course, she uses different amounts in different recipes. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Linda
Old 10-26-2005, 10:18 AM   #160
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
[QUOTE=lgpars]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123
Scott123, I have a low-carb cookbook by Nancy Moshier which uses liquid Sweet 'n Low along with Splenda in most of her recipes. How would I know how much liquid Splenda to substitute for the liquid Sweet 'n Low? I have both Trish's and Sweetzfree so if you can give me both substitutions, it would be most appreciated. Of course, she uses different amounts in different recipes. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Linda
Linda, I found this chart on the Sweet'N Low website:

Old 10-26-2005, 04:24 PM   #161
Major LCF Poster!

[QUOTE=LindaSue][QUOTE=lgpars]
Linda, I found this chart on the Sweet'N Low website:

Thanks so much Linda Sue!! That will help a lot. I appreciate your help.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:33 AM   #162
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: gotogirl
Stats: 148/116/120 5'3"
WOE: Atkins for Life Maintenance
Start Date: August, 2005
Where to get polydextrose?

Where can you get polydextrose? Is it a sugar alcohol that makes you gassy?
Old 10-29-2005, 09:38 AM   #163
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Another question? Where do you get liquid splenda?
Old 10-29-2005, 11:48 AM   #164
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Gotogirl, the rules of this board say we cannot post websites however when you see a word that you've typed in blue with a dashed underline (such as polydextrose) you can click on it and it will link you to Netrition (who sponsors this board!) Any items they sell will show you that kind of link.

They also carry a version of liquid Splenda called Fiberfit but it's not highly concentrated as some of the other versions are. You can try doing a Google search for it and see if you can find it - it's very hard to come by at the moment though!

Char

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 10-29-2005, 01:46 PM   #165
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

thanks for your answer
Old 11-30-2005, 06:44 AM   #166
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BeckyM
WOE: Type 2 diabetic
Any new developments with the fudge?

I found the fudge recipe mentioned earlier elsewhere on the web and am wondering if anyone has tried it with the new mix of sweeteners. I bought some Sweet One, couldn't find it on Netrition though. I would like to try the fudge recipe out soon.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:17 PM   #167
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: datahamstr
Stats: 180/160/140
Start Date: may5, 2004
Bumping

bumping to subscribe this wonderful thread...thanks everyone for all the great recipes, you're awesome!

Also, about halfway through this thread, someone mentioned Scott's toffee recipe---I can't find it. I found the caramel sauce, but no toffee. Can someone point it out for me--toffee's my favorite!!!

Datahamster

Last edited by datahamstr; 12-11-2005 at 11:25 PM.. Reason: forgot to ask my question!
Old 12-12-2005, 03:46 AM   #168

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
datahamstr-

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123
Binki, it looks like the important ratio, sugar to butter, is about the same for all the recipes.

I think the use of raw almond or toasted almonds makes a big difference. Getting a good toast to the almond as you're caramelizing the PDX might be tricky, but at the same time, incorporating toasted nuts into the final mixture might be tricky as well. I think the latter technique is preferable, though.

Cathy's right about polyd requiring water for the initial dissolve. Water in these types of recipes doesn't really matter all that much - it just adds a little time for evaporation.

If I had to choose one of these recipes, I'd go with the English Toffee one, as it's the only one that gives temperature. A soft caramel you can eyeball to an extent, but not a hard crack stage.

Here's a rough sketch of how I would approach it:

Low Carb English Toffee

1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1.5 cups polydextrose
1 cup post-synergy sugar equivalent:
...2/3 C. splenda equivalent
...2 T sweetening equivalent of ace k or stevia
1/2 C. water
1 1/2 cups toasted blanched almond bits*

Coating:
8 (1 oz) erythritol based milk chocolate candy bars**
1 cup toasted almond bits

In a large heavy pan combine water, sweeteners and PDX. Bring to boil, stirring - PDX should be dissolved. If it isn't, either add more water and/or continue to stir on warm. Add butter. Cook on medium-high, stirring constantly, to the hard crack stage (300 degrees F.) Remove from heat and quickly stir in 1 1/2 cups almond bits. Quickly spread mixture in a well buttered 9x13 pan. Cool.

Coating: Melt the chocolate bars. Turn cooled candy out onto waxed paper and spread with one half of the chocolate. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup almond bits. Let this set. Then turn the candy over and spread the other side with the remaining chocolate and rest of the almond bits. Chill to firm. Break into pieces.

Notes:

*This almond quantity seems a little high for toffee. Maybe the first time, I'd go with this much, but then adjust it the next.

**A sf ganache will work here as well.

It's very important that the pan be buttered/ready and the almond bits be next to the stove. Once you hit hard crack and remove the pan from the heat, manageability becomes an issue very quickly. You have literally seconds before the mixture becomes too cool to pour. Stir the almonds quickly and get it into the pan. It might work better to have just toasted/still warm almonds or maybe adding the almonds while the mixture is still on the heat - we'll see.

This might work with a little erythritol, but I'd try it without the first time around.

The temperature necessary to caramelize the PDX might be so high the butter burns. We'll only know by trying.
The entire thread can be viewed here.

HTH
Old 12-12-2005, 05:04 AM   #169

[COLOR=Navy]datahamstr-

Thanks for reminding me about the toffee.
I meant to go find the recipe some time ago, and just kept forgetting.
I made it this AM, the recipe I used was based on Scott123's posted
recipe, but when all was said and done, it really wasn't his recipe at all.
My sincere apologies to Scott123 for any unwanted things I may have
done to his toffee.
It's also a much smaller (by about half) recipe (just in case, kwim?).
That being said, I'm now wishing I hadn't cut it down to half.
This stuff is KILLER!
This is how I ended up doing it:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy]I might take another picture later, after it's broken-up![/COLOR]

* Exported from MasterCook *

Toffee

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 cup polydextrose
1/4 cup SugarSlim -- or other sugar alcohol blend
1/4 cup sugar-free syrup -- hazelnut flavor
1 stick butter
1/2 cup sliced almonds -- toasted

1/4 cup MiniCarb chocolate chips
1/4 cup toasted almonds -- finely chopped

In a large heavy pan combine syrup, SugarSlim and polydextrose.
Bring to boil, stirring (polydextrose should be dissolved. If it isn't, either add
more water and/or continue to stir on warm.).

Add butter. Cook on medium-high, stirring constantly, to the hard crack stage (300F).
[COLOR=Navy](Once the butter was melted, this took 10 minutes on my stove.
I have an electric stove, with markings from 1 to 10. I used 8 1/2.)[/COLOR]

Remove from heat and quickly stir in 1/2 cup sliced almonds.

Quickly spread mixture in a 9 X 9" silicon pan.
[COLOR=Navy](This did not fill the whole pan, I ended up with about an 8" square of candy.)[/COLOR]

Immediately, sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over toffee mixture in pan.

Cover with a cookie sheet; let chips soften for 5 minutes.

Remove cookie sheet, spread chocolate into a thin, even layer; sprinkle with 1/4 cup
chopped almonds.

Cool completely before breaking into pieces.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1707 Calories; 158g Fat (67.8% calories from fat);
27g Protein; 142g Carbohydrate; 113g Dietary Fiber; 248mg Cholesterol; 1008mg Sodium.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

[COLOR=Navy]The nutritional data does not include SugarSlim.
The GI is allegedly 10 to 15, according to the label.
As far as the carb count goes, SugarSlim should be 0 net, if you believe in sub-
tracting fiber and sugar alcohols.
I don't usually subtract SAs, except erythritol, and that is the main ingredient
in SugarSlim.
Calories, however, are a different matter.
It supposedly has 4.5 calories per teaspoon, which is even more than sugar![/COLOR]

Last edited by Pami; 12-12-2005 at 05:17 AM.. Reason: to add the picture
Old 12-12-2005, 07:47 AM   #170

Toffee pieces

[COLOR=Navy]The whole batch fit in a GladWare sandwich container.[/COLOR]
Old 12-12-2005, 09:56 AM   #171
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: griffin
WOE: atkins/moderate
Start Date: november 04
wow that looks amazing!
Old 12-12-2005, 12:11 PM   #172
Senior LCF Member

Wow! That's a thing of beauty...

Pami,
Thanks so much for Scott123's info. and recipe model. And that toffee you made looks just out of this world! Totally awesome. As a hypoglycemic who loves toffee, I thank you! It does seem that PolyD. is just the thing we need to take low-carb recipes to a whole other level, and a delicious one at that.
Many thanks,
Datahamster
Old 12-16-2005, 01:46 AM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Scott123, I need your help!!

I have been looking all over this board to find where you posted your 3 fav. sweeteners' and the amounts for one cup. I know I saw it, but cannot re-locate it again---argh!

Would you kindly tell me again, the amounts of the sweeteners? I think it was splenda, eryrythritol, and ace K, or Sweet one?

Also, I've been discussing with Island Girl the merits of inulin (we are both in Canada, so inulin is easier for us to get). Do you happen to know if inulin could be subbed for polydextrose, measure for measure?

I hope you have time to help me,
thanks much,
Datahamstr
Old 12-16-2005, 06:43 AM   #174
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
datahamstser...............is this what you're looking for?

1 c. post-synergy equivalent

liquid Splenda to = ½ c.
¼ c. Erythritol
1 pkt. (2 t. equiv.) Sweet One
Old 12-16-2005, 11:34 AM   #175
Senior LCF Member

thanks much Pam, it's very very close to the one I was looking for, but I think Scott123 used granular Splenda (I can't get liquid Splenda), and it was Sweet One or ace K, the last ingredient. I know Sweet One contains ace K, but

If you recall, can you tell me where that thread is? Or do you recall the other formula? It's driving me nuts

Datahamstr
Old 12-16-2005, 12:04 PM   #176
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: catkan
WOE: Moderate Carbs
There is a lot of info here. Now I have to just figure out what to order.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:01 PM   #177
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kcduffer
Stats: 168/152/135
Start Date: Sept. 2002
Fiberfit, a liquid splenda, is available from netrition. A powdered fiberfit, which contains inulin as a bulking agent, is also available. It's preferable to granular splenda because the granular splenda has carbs from the filler and powdered fiberfit doesn't. Those filler carbs can really add up when you use very much, so I avoid using granular splenda whenever I can.

If you want to use granular splenda, you use the same amount as sugar. 1/2 cup of granular splenda equals 1/2 cup sugar. In Scott123's formula you would use 1/2 cup granular splenda instead of liquid splenda.

Also, sweet one is ace k.

I think you are all making this far too complicated. Pam has the formula for the sweetening equivalent of 1 cup of sugar. By combining more than 1 or 2 sweeteners, you get more sweetening power and less of the negatives of each sweetener alone. Sometimes I'll even add a little bit of stevia to the mix.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:16 PM   #178
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: catkan
WOE: Moderate Carbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcduffer
Fiberfit, a liquid splenda, is available from netrition. A powdered fiberfit, which contains inulin as a bulking agent, is also available. It's preferable to granular splenda because the granular splenda has carbs from the filler and powdered fiberfit doesn't. Those filler carbs can really add up when you use very much, so I avoid using granular splenda whenever I can.

If you want to use granular splenda, you use the same amount as sugar. 1/2 cup of granular splenda equals 1/2 cup sugar. In Scott123's formula you would use 1/2 cup granular splenda instead of liquid splenda.

Also, sweet one is ace k.

I think you are all making this far too complicated. Pam has the formula for the sweetening equivalent of 1 cup of sugar. By combining more than 1 or 2 sweeteners, you get more sweetening power and less of the negatives of each sweetener alone. Sometimes I'll even add a little bit of stevia to the mix.
Okay, I have the fiberfit. Need to get sweet one. But some of these recipes are calling for polyd, guess I need to get that one too. For me it is complicated as I only read recipes and do it. Don't understand all the reasoning behind it.

Are you saying that using Pam's formula can be substituted for the polyd? Sorry
Old 12-16-2005, 04:47 PM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Still have 2 questions...beam Scotty down!

Katcan, no, Scott123's post-synergy formula that Pam quoted is not a substitute for the PolyD. The post-synergy sugar sub mixture is just a formula where each sweetener complements the others and increases the sweetness. The polydextrose is just fiber, which has very mild sweetness (hardly significant sweetness, i think). Here's a thread that explains the whole thing nicely
Sugar equivalents

The post-synergy mixture that Pam just posted here IS the one that Scott123 originally posted I believe, but I guess my question is, does the dry, granular splenda affect the finished product, if the recipe called for liquid splenda, or fiberfit?

And I'd still like to know if inulin (fiber) can sub measure for measure like polyD?

Not everyone is as gifted as some of you excellent, creative bakers, and if you aren't, you'd like to follow the recipe. And if you're ordering products from Canada, it's outrageously expensive and it's a major downer if your finished product does not turn out. Even if you're in the US, I would imagine you'd prefer not to waste money, if possible!

Love this board, and am learning to use the excellent search functions, but sometimes it's a challenge

Datahamstr
Old 12-17-2005, 01:10 AM   #180
Senior LCF Member

OK, call off the dogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam
datahamstser...............is this what you're looking for?

1 c. post-synergy equivalent

liquid Splenda to = ½ c.
¼ c. Erythritol
1 pkt. (2 t. equiv.) Sweet One
Omg, I spent about 2-plus hours on doing searches on this board, my eyes are popping out! So, I found that Pam did indeed find the most recent one by Scott- there's several older ones. One is indeed a bulk (dry)Splenda/Erythritol/stevia plus blend, which are the sweeteners that I have now, but will need to find it again I believe the measures would be 1/2 c. bulk Splenda, 1/4 c. Erythritol, and 1 (or 2?) packets Stevia plus.

Also, no one has actually used the inulin as a replacement for polyD yet, so I'll get back to you if I try it.

Many thanks to Pam, and kcd for posting. Perhaps if Scott123 sees this, he can perhaps confirm my thinking in the dry equivalents?
Datahamstr---