Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2005, 10:10 AM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lscoop
Stats: 115, maintaining
WOE: Mostly raw, organic, low-glycemic
Start Date: 8/05
Wow....I've been distracted and away from this board for months and finally found a 4-month-old mail from Scott at another site with the link to this board and am just blown away by some of these new recipes. I've been out of Poly-D for a month and have just ordered more--when I find time I'll start posting some of my recipes here (especially one for coconut cream pie which is a hit every time--I see that Scott already posted my dry mix that makes it simpler to create recipes for chocolate puddings and chocolate cream pies). Can't wait to start baking again with my favorite ingredient :-)

Last edited by lscoop; 05-20-2005 at 10:16 AM..

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2005, 10:45 PM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lscoop
Stats: 115, maintaining
WOE: Mostly raw, organic, low-glycemic
Start Date: 8/05
Jaideye's Brownies Rock!

I made Jaideye's Brownies last night. I followed the recipe to a T except for replacing 4 oz of butter with 4 oz of Z-Trim Gel. I think I undercooked them--they were so rich that they seemed to be a cross between fudge and brownies. I keep them in the freezer. The Z-Trim Gel didn't make any difference in the richness of the recipe--I think I might test it with 6 oz Z-Trim and 2 oz butter with my next batch. I used chopped macadamias and these are the first low-carb brownies that my husband really liked. I think the sweetener combo of the recipe as posted is perfect. By the way, I cut 24 brownies out of the batch and here are the nutrient facts per brownie (using 4 oz of Z-Trim in lieu of 4 oz of the butter, of course):

Ingredients (by weight)
55 g CarbQuik (note: I always sift CarbQuik before using it in a recipe like this, and since 1/2 C sifted CarbQuik will not weigh that 1/2 C unsifted does, it's important to weigh it as 55 g (just under 2 oz).....
3 extra large eggs (6 oz)
4 oz Butter (unsalted)
4 oz Z-Trim Gel
1.75 oz Erythritol
9 oz polydextrose
2 oz macadamia nuts
3 oz sugar-free chocolate chips
1 teasp vanilla (1/6 oz)
4 packages stevia
10 drops liquid splenda

Nutrient Facts per brownie (1/24 of recipe)

121 Calories
9.55 g fat
1.76 g protein
17.91 g carbs
11.88 g fiber
4.49 g sugar alcohols
approx 1.5 net carbs per brownie.
This is the most enjoyable way of getting almost 12 grams of fiber that I could possibly imagine. I'll eat 2 of them every day and find myself suddenly getting 35-40 g of fiber in my diet. Love it!

Last edited by lscoop; 05-26-2005 at 10:50 PM..
Old 06-10-2005, 08:07 AM   #123
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mmorris
Stats: 268/128-Goal Weight Finally!! (-140 pounds gone)
WOE: Atkins All the WAY!!
Start Date: August 2002
This thread is great...
Old 06-10-2005, 10:07 AM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jtex
Stats: 174/150
WOE: Glycemic Load Diet
Start Date: May, 27 2004
bump

bump
Old 06-10-2005, 01:50 PM   #125
Rio

Gallery: Rio
Well, I will make some with my z trim also. I love the recipe except for the calories in the butter. Thanks for being the guinea pig. Will you post if you use more ztrim than butter in your next recipe? I just wish I could make one or two because I eat too many even when I freeze them!

Old 06-10-2005, 05:15 PM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jaideyes
Stats: 140/110 44 y.o. 5'4"
WOE: Moderate Carbs / Maintenance
Start Date: 1998
I just got my Z-Trim, I'm going to make your variation right now Lscoop! I'm trying to cut way back on overall fats. I put some of the Z-trim in my tuna, for half the mayo, and it came out very well. Great stuff so far!
Old 06-18-2005, 06:13 PM   #127
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: griffin
WOE: atkins/moderate
Start Date: november 04
just thought id bring this back up for a refresher- i was looking to make hard candy but couldnt find it here.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:29 PM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CRosie
Stats: 266/186/150
WOE: my own low carb/sometimes lowfat plan
Start Date: May 21, 2007
Would it be possible to make this thread a sticky?

I noticed it has been bumped quite a bit and I know I refer to it often.

Thanks for your consideration - Rosie
Old 07-02-2005, 02:41 PM   #129
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CRosie
Stats: 266/186/150
WOE: my own low carb/sometimes lowfat plan
Start Date: May 21, 2007
A question - I made the pecan lace cookies (thanks for the recipe!), and they were good - but the edges burned quite a bit before the middle of the cookie was thoroughly cooked.

When cookies bake this way, does it mean that my oven temp is too low or too high?

I used the Silpat with the baking sheet, if that makes a difference.

Thanks, Rosie
Old 07-02-2005, 05:12 PM   #130
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Rosie: The oven temp is too high when cookies burn on the outside and aren't done on the inside...Someone once said that the best cookies should be cooked at no higher than 350..From Food TV..
Old 07-03-2005, 01:51 AM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1BellaDonna
Stats: Highest =202 (post-pregnancy 1 of 2)/142.6, 5'8"
WOE: LC, hcg, JUDDD
i definitely think it should be a sticky. seems poly-d is here to stay too (like carbquick). thanks for sharing your recipes/experiences everyone!
Old 07-03-2005, 09:30 PM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
Poly D

I was off to order the polyD and when looking I see polyd fiber and polyd fiber plus. I wasnt sure which I should be ordering. It looks like the recepies are of the sweetened type so I am assuming it would then be the polly d plus, sweetened with splenda. Help.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:18 PM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lmt_24fan
Stats: 194/GOOOOOOOAAAALLL/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2004
I'm not positive, but I think most of these recipes were developed with the UN-sweetened poly-d so that people could add the mixtures of sweeteners and get the good synergy. I think if you used the sweetened (plus), and still added the additional sweeteners called for in the recipes that things would turn out too sweet.

What I don't know is if you used the plus without any other sweetener if it would turn out ok.

Lynn
Old 07-06-2005, 04:19 PM   #134
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kcduffer
Stats: 168/152/135
Start Date: Sept. 2002
I personally use the unsweetened version, so that I can use my own blend of choice sweeteners. By combining preferably 3 different sweeteners you can get at least 2 to 3 times the sweetening power from the combination compared to just one sweetener which saves on the cost. Plus you also get the benefit of a better tasting sweetener by combining several. You seem to get the good of each one without too many of the negatives.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:58 PM   #135
Senior LCF Member

okay...speaking of sweeteners (sorry for the threadjack)...does anyone have a set of ratios to use for sweeteners?

e.g.- 1 cup of sugar = x amount of liquid splenda
= x amount of diabetisweet + x amount of erythitol (sp??)

i get the concept of 'synergy' but just have no clue about the ratios and do NOT want to waste my products, especially if someone will share their successful combinations.

TIA!
-letty
Old 07-08-2005, 07:35 AM   #136
Senior LCF Member

I would start out with 1/3 the total amount of sweeteners. For 1 cup sugar, I would use a blend of 3 sweeteners to equal 1/3 cup sweetening.... 1/9 cup splenda, 1/9 cup erythritol, and a packet or 2 of sweet one, or stevia. (I use these portions as an example. I wouldn't measure out 1/9 cup) You want a combination of sweeteners to equal 1/3 cup of sweetness. Because of synergy, this will usually equal 1 cup of sugar or splenda alone. Next, taste it before you bake it. You may need to add a little more sweetener to it. I start out low because once it's in, you can't take it out.

I would also suggest that you go to the very first post in this thread. Scott123 directs you to another thread that I think will be of help to you.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:51 AM   #137
Senior LCF Member

thanks, kcduffer! you seem to be answering my questions all over these boards today.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:02 PM   #138
Senior LCF Member

I've noticed that too. Glad to help.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:25 AM   #139
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
This is adapted from a Bisquick recipe that I found. I think the polydextrose helps to make a really crisp crust.

CHERRY CRUNCH

1 ˝ to 2 c. Carbquik
1/3 c. Polydextrose
2/3 c. sugar substitute (I used 1 t. Trishz’s Liquid Splenda & 1/3 c. Erythritol)
ľ t. cinnamon
1 egg
1/3 c. Crisco (green can….0 transfats)

1 can (21 oz.) Comstock (no-sugar added) cherry pie filling

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Mix all ingredients except pie filling. Grease a square pan, 9 x 9 x 2 in. Spread the pie filling over the bottom. Crumble dough over the pie filling. Bake about 30 min.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:03 PM   #140
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Has anyone perfected pecan pie using PDX in any way, including using Scott123's recipe for corn syrup?

It's almost Turkey Time, and I like BOTH Pumpkin and Pecan. . .HMMMMM I wonder now how I gained all that weight. . .
Old 10-08-2005, 10:34 PM   #141
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BettyR
WOE: maderate carbs
Start Date: 1/15/04
Yes, I've made a pecan pie using Scott's recipe for corn syrup and it turned out very good. The recipe is in my computer but unfortunately; we are still unable to go home because of hurricane Rita. Our house is ok but we still don't have electricity so we are staying with relatives.

As soon as I can get home and get the recipe, I will post it if someone doesn't post one for you before then.
Betty
Old 10-09-2005, 09:14 AM   #142
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, BettyR, sorry about Rita, it must be horrible not to be able to go home. We were on the "clean" side of Rita, and boy are those hurricane's hard to predict. And life altering.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:34 AM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Yea, we were on the clean side of the storm as well. Our house is in Liberty County about 16 miles North and East of the town of Liberty. They tell us we're supposed to get power back this weekend. I'm going to go check today and see if it's back on.

My poor mom lives in Jasper; they're telling them that it may be December before they get power back. My mom went to Louisiana to stay with her sister, she rounded up her chickens and put them in a cage and threw them in the back of the truck and took off for Louisiana. I guess she'll just turn them loose with her sister's chickens.

We were very lucky, this has been an inconvenience but we don't have to deal with what those poor people from New Orleans have to deal with.

What really makes me mad is now I'm reading that the insurance companies are going to start trying to weasel out of paying for mold in people’s homes. People who didn't have water in their homes are returning and finding mold covering everything in their houses from the humidity and the heat. Everything they own is going to have to be thrown away and the inside of the houses gutted and rebuilt. How can the government let them get away with that?

Last edited by BettyR; 10-09-2005 at 10:38 AM..
Old 10-09-2005, 02:56 PM   #144
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Hi Betty, hope your power is back on, Girlfriend, and you can get back to your own life soon!

Char
Old 10-09-2005, 09:43 PM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski
Hi Betty, hope your power is back on, Girlfriend, and you can get back to your own life soon!

Char
I went to the house today and the power is back on!!!!!! Now I'm going to have to clean up. We'll stay here with my daughter until I finish cleaning the house; then we'll move all our stuff back to the house next weekend when my husband and kids can help.

It's going to be so good to get home! I'm so thankful to my daughter and her husband for being so generous with their home and their time. They act like they don't want us to leave but they have to be getting tired of having us all under foot.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:17 PM   #146
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Betty, obviously you raised her up to be a gracious hostess! Kudos to you.

I'm so glad to hear you can get back home soon. That will feel wonderful I'm sure!

Char
Old 10-10-2005, 12:21 PM   #147
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Betty, I lost everything in my freezer and Fridge back after Alicia ('83). . .then lost it again in a tornado the same year. . .gave away my freezer!

Know the clean up is NOOOOO fun.

Hang in there!
Old 10-10-2005, 05:32 PM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski
Betty, obviously you raised her up to be a gracious hostess! Kudos to you.

I'm so glad to hear you can get back home soon. That will feel wonderful I'm sure!

Char
How kind of you, but I think her motive is that, she's a CPA and works long hours. She likes coming home to a hot meal in the evening and having someone else doing the laundry and housework.

I'm a mean mother for not just saying that she's an angel and leaving it at that.
Betty
Old 10-10-2005, 05:45 PM   #149
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater
Betty, I lost everything in my freezer and Fridge back after Alicia ('83). . .then lost it again in a tornado the same year. . .gave away my freezer!

Know the clean up is NOOOOO fun.

Hang in there!
Luckily we didn't loose any of our food, it's fairly common in this area to have trees go down onto power lines during heavy thunderstorms so most people have generators to keep their freezer and frig. going if the power is off for more than an hour or two. We kept everything running during the night and then packed it all up and went to my daughter’s house the next day. They still had power and had room for all of our stuff.

Your right it's not fun, I've been working for two days now and just finished with the kitchen. I'll start on the living room tomorrow. My husband and son will do the yard this weekend if it will stop raining.
Betty
Old 10-15-2005, 06:40 PM   #150
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BeckyM
WOE: Type 2 diabetic
Pecan Pie

Hi, I am a newbie to this site, have been reading all the recipes using Polydextrose and have tried a couple. I saw a recipe for pecan pie on a different site, created by locarbman. I hesitate to post someone else's recipe but I am sure you can find it. I haven't tried it myself yet but plan to this holiday season.