Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2005, 06:04 AM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Criosa
Stats: 240/171/150
WOE: hhCG, Low Carb
Start Date: In and out since 2003
Vanilla Flan

I made this last night. My daughter-in-law, who worked at a Mexican restaurant, said it was better than theirs! I don't know about that, but it was really good.

Vanilla Flan

Caramelizing the molds:
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup polydextrose
1/2 cup sweeteners (I used 2 T. xylitol/2 T. erythritol/1/4 c.
worth liquid splenda)

Bring these to a boil, then simmer over med. heat until the syrup begins to color. (Mine was an amber color. It was getting pretty thick, so I went ahead and took it off, before it turned into candy). Pour into 6- 6oz custard cups set in a baking pan deep enough to hold 2 inches of water. It will hardern while you make the custard, but don't worry, it softens later when you pour in the custard, and let it cool. Next make the custard:

1 cup half and half
1 cup LC milk
1/2 cup polyD (optional, but I think it gave more body)
1/2 cup sweetener (I used the same as above)
4 large eggs, beaten
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Pour the half and half and the milk into a 3 qt. saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, add polydextrose, and sweeteners. Once all is dissolved, take off heat. Add a little hot liquid to the eggs, to temper them, then add the eggs to the milk. Stir in the vanilla extract. Pour into the molds.

Baking the flans:
Heat oven to 325 degrees. Pour about 2 inches of very hot water into the pan around the filled molds. Lay a sheet of foil over the molds (don't crimp or seal it) bake about 25 minutes until the custard has barely set. Let cool in the water bath, then refrigerate to chill thoroughly.
To unmold, run a knife aroundt he edge of each mold, then twist the mold back and forth, to make sure it is loose. Invert a serving plate over the mold, then turn upside down for the mold to drop on. Scrape out any caramel left in cup over the flan.

My recipe has a variation for chocolate/cinnamon if anyone is interested. I haven't tried it yet.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2005, 10:55 AM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
This sounds great. What kind of mold cups did you use that you can twist? This would be great with my chili tonight. Thanks, Julie
Old 02-20-2005, 12:38 PM   #63
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Julie mines in the frig as we speak lol* I cooked it for 35 minutes instead of letting it cool down in the water bath. I've made a ton of flan before and know that 35 minutes is perfect. I let it the cups cool down sitting on a wire rack just until it's not too hot and then in the frig it goes.

I used ramkins, I think what she meant was to loosen using a knife around the edge and then just twist the ramkin right and left back and forth. I could be wrong but that is what I plan on doing when it's done setting up .

Last edited by Tater Head; 02-20-2005 at 12:43 PM..
Old 02-20-2005, 02:20 PM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ok I made the flan, the custard part was good, but it was like any other that I've made in the past. The Caramel part didn't have any Caramel flavor, it was more like corn syrup taste wise. I got it to a amber color but was afraid to go any further because of the candy stage mentioned in the recipe. When I unmolded it the stuff that came out was golden colored water and soft taffy was left on the bottom. I think it needs some butter to get that caramel color and taste. I also noticed it's gets to a syrup base really fast.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:46 PM   #65
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
Tater Head, two things.

1. Once polyd starts to color, it is in the candy stage. Don't be afraid to go nice and dark with it. The smell is a good indicator of what it will taste like. Just keep cooking the daylights out of it. When it hits a nice deep dark color, get it in the molds quickly. Your ramekins are made to handle a torch so I'm sure they'll be fine with a molten polyd syrup.
2. The color 'amber' is pretty subjective. It sounds like Criosa prefers a more delicately flavored/softer/gooeyer 'caramel' on top of her flan. If you want more flavor/firmer texture, give darker a shot.

You can go the butter (or cream route) but that takes it out of the traditional flan territory. I really think polyd can be taken to the right color/texture for the real deal.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:53 PM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Scott, there was nothing gooey about this lol, it was more like eating taffy candy.....It stuck to my teeth. My color was probablly more golden then amber. If I was to go any further with the color, I would have had hard candy, plus this still doesn't address the caramel flavor, there is no caramel flavor.

Last edited by Tater Head; 02-20-2005 at 02:55 PM..
Old 02-20-2005, 03:21 PM   #67
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
What about using DV Caramel in place of the water? You might need to back off the other sweeteners a bit but you could get the flavor that way....

Char
Old 02-20-2005, 03:24 PM   #68
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
Start Date: 2/6/04
Tater Head, the caramel flavor of a flan comes from burnt sugar. In this case it's the burning of the polydextrose - taking it to a dark color. It's the exact same idea as creme brulee except your burning the sugar first and putting it on the bottom as opposed to putting it on top and burning it last. You're burning polyd here. Not black burning, but dark dark red.

The topping for flan is candy. It's way past a brittle. There's not a flan recipe on this planet where you couldn't take the finished topping and rather than pour it into the molds, pour onto a cookie sheet instead and make lollipops. In some instances the candy topping will actually stay brittle through the custard cooking process but most of the time the cooking of the custard softens the candy.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:41 PM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by scott123
Tater Head, the caramel flavor of a flan comes from burnt sugar. In this case it's the burning of the polydextrose - taking it to a dark color. It's the exact same idea as creme brulee except your burning the sugar first and putting it on the bottom as opposed to putting it on top and burning it last. You're burning polyd here. Not black burning, but dark dark red.

The topping for flan is candy. It's way past a brittle. There's not a flan recipe on this planet where you couldn't take the finished topping and rather than pour it into the molds, pour onto a cookie sheet instead and make lollipops. In some instances the candy topping will actually stay brittle through the custard cooking process but most of the time the cooking of the custard softens the candy.

Scott, Believe me I know how to make flan, the real stuff, so I know what your saying. This stuff isn't it, and it did not soften from the custard sitting on it until set either. It was like I said a mix of a golden color water and chewy taffy candy that came out from the bottom of the custard cup and no flavor what so ever accept corn syrup. Maybe I'll try it again going all the way to the dark stage as you suggested but I seriously doudt it will make any difference IMO.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:49 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

You are right, I like a mild caramel topping. But mine wasn't hard once it sat in the refrigerator for a while with the custard on it. It was thick, but soft and runny - yes, like a flavorful corn syrup I guess. For those who like the more traditional burnt sugar taste, maybe you could add some burnt surgar extract.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:57 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Tater Head,
I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. Everyone here was excited about it, and I thought it was worth sharing.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:40 PM   #72
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Criosa
Tater Head,
I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. Everyone here was excited about it, and I thought it was worth sharing.
Please don't take what I said about your recipe the wrong way. I appreciate any recipe that is shared, I also think it's equally important to give one's opinion for others to read and decide if they want to try it too
Old 02-20-2005, 06:38 PM   #73
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Savory Poly-D dish

General Tso's Chicken

4 LBS Boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 1" cubes-0
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 clove crushed garlic
2 cups crushed spicy pork rinds
4 Tbs. coconut or light olive oil-0
1/2 cup SF DV vanilla syrup-0
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup soy sauce (use a good quality 0 carb sauce)-0
4 Tbs. LC ketchup-4
1-1/2 Tbs. seasoned rice vinegar-1.5
1 clove Garlic finely chopped-1
1 Tsp. Red Pepper Flakes (the kind you put on pizza)-.5 (more if you like it spicy, I used about a tablespoon!)
1 Tbs. chile garlic paste (optional)
1 Tsp. jarred minced Ginger-.3
1/3 cup polydextrose OR
1/3 cup sliced green onion

Combine 1/3 cup soy sauce, 1 tsp. sesame oil, and 1 clove crushed garlic in a ziploc bag. Add chicken breast cubes; "massage" to evenly coat all pieces, then let marinate 30 minutes, turning once or twice.

In batches, shake drained chicken pieces in a ziploc bag with the crushed pork rinds. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over med. high heat; add chicken in batches (mine took 4 batches) and cook until lightly browned, turning over half way through (6-7 min total). Drain on paper towels, set aside.

Combine remaining ingredients (except the gum if using) in a bowl and mix well, (if using polydextrose, heat in microwave to dissolve it into the sauce); return chicken to pan, pour sauce over chicken and return to heat. Bring to a boil and then simmer until sauce is thickened and reduced, and glazes chicken, about 10 minutes or so. About 5 minutes into cooking, add 1/4 cup sliced green onions.

Garnish with remaining sliced green onion.

Makes 4 servings for hungry people!

I also made this last night with cubed pork sirloin - and I added a red bell pepper cut into 1" pieces. Excellent also.

Char

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 02-22-2005, 06:38 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lee140
Stats: 16+/10/8
Start Date: 1/26/04
BUMP!! It's tax time, and I'm an accountant, but STILL HAVE TO KEEP UP WITH THE POLY-D RECIPES!!

Tried JaidEye's brownie recipe from the first page, and it was wonderful! I loved the texture the poly-d gave it. I also thought her blend of sweeteners was by far, the best I've had for chocolate.

I almost forgot. I did end up with the plastic like disks in my batter that an earlier thread discussed (I used the mixing the poly-d in with the dry method). Happily though, they completely dissolved in the oven.

Last edited by Lee140; 02-22-2005 at 06:53 PM..
Old 02-23-2005, 10:20 AM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mahyde
Stats: 119/110/110
WOE: moderate carbs/Zone
Start Date: April 2001
Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge

I made these with the mini carb chips and the fudge did not come out looking anywhere near like the picture. BUT it was delicious. I had to break it up into bite size pieces and then I froze it.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:22 PM   #76
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't know if this recipe is on this thread, but here it is, and it is fantastic

AUNT RUTH'S PECAN PIE
BY MOTTS LANDING TWEAKED TO USE POLY D BY MAHYDE
Old 02-23-2005, 02:22 PM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't know if this recipe is on this thread, but here it is, and it is fantastic

AUNT RUTH'S PECAN PIE

1 and 1/2 cups Carbquik + one tablespoon
1 tablespoon double acting baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 and 1/4 cups Splenda (Mayhyde used 1 cp granulated splenda, with two packets of Stevia plus, and one packet of sweet and Slender) I used 1 cup of Whey Low, one cup of Diabesweet brown and 3/4 teaspoon Trish's liquid splenda)
3-4 cups pecans (broken into peices)
1 and 1/2 cup polyd
4 large eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 sticks butter

This uses a 10 inch cast iron skillet

Melt the butter in the skillet and swirl it around so it gets greased. Add the butter to the rest of the ingredients. Pour into skillet and bake from 1 hr to 1 hr. and 15 minutesat 325 degrees.

This is one of the best LC desserts I have ever tried. YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by SCOTTSDALEJULIE; 02-23-2005 at 02:35 PM..
Old 02-23-2005, 04:08 PM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BettyR
WOE: maderate carbs
Start Date: 1/15/04
I thought I'd add this one to the PolyD collection. This ice cream stays scoop-able after several days in the freezer.

Premium Vanilla Ice Cream

Step #1:
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup PolyD
1/2 cup Erythritol
1 cup Splenda or liquid equivalent
a pinch of salt
1 tablespoon SteviaPlus
2 cups heavy cream

Put all ingredients into a saucepan and whisk constantly until mixture comes to a full rolling boil. Remove from heat.

Step #2:
2-1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract-(this in not a misprint) or the scrapings of 1 whole vanilla bean
2 whole jumbo eggs
3 jumbo egg yolks

Place eggs, yolks and vanilla in a blender. Turn blender on and blend for about 20 seconds or until mixture becomes light in color.

In a very thin ribbon, slowly pour boiling cream mixture into the eggs with the blender running until all the cream has been added. Blend for another 30 seconds or so and turn blender off.

Step #3:
2 cups Carb Countdown milk

Pour cream/egg mixture into a covered container and add Carb Countdown milk; stir well.

Place mixture in the refrigerator and let it chill and ripen overnight. The next day place mixture into ice cream freezer and make ice cream.

Spoon mixture into a freezer container and place in freezer to finish freezing.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:34 AM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BettyR
WOE: maderate carbs
Start Date: 1/15/04
Bump
Old 02-27-2005, 12:52 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Motts Landing
Start Date: restarted Jan 08'
Bump!
Old 02-28-2005, 06:46 AM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SCOTTSDALEJULIE

AUNT RUTH'S PECAN PIE

1 and 1/2 cups Carbquik + one tablespoon
1 tablespoon double acting baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 and 1/4 cups Splenda (Mayhyde used 1 cp granulated splenda, with two packets of Stevia plus, and one packet of sweet and Slender) I used 1 cup of Whey Low, one cup of Diabesweet brown and 3/4 teaspoon Trish's liquid splenda)
3-4 cups pecans (broken into peices)
1 and 1/2 cup polyd
4 large eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 sticks butter

This uses a 10 inch cast iron skillet

Melt the butter in the skillet and swirl it around so it gets greased. Add the butter to the rest of the ingredients. Pour into skillet and bake from 1 hr to 1 hr. and 15 minutesat 325 degrees.

This is one of the best LC desserts I have ever tried. YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was just wondering....by using the PolyD, does it become more "Pie" like instead of "Cake like?" I think this is the only change to the orignal cake recipe. Or maybe you used the word pie by mistake. I am ordering some PolyD today and I want to make this again using the PolyD tweak. Just wanted to know what texture change I should expect. Thanks!!!
Old 02-28-2005, 08:05 AM   #82
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, the only way I made it is using polyd. I think it just geta a crispier crust. It is definately cake like.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:09 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Well, the only way I made it is using polyd. I think it just geta a crispier crust. It is definately cake like.
Thanks Julie.... since you or someone else used the word "pie" in the title ... I figured it had really changed the original texture.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:15 AM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chickiemom
just made this with the polyd about a cup worth and it is cake like
Old 02-28-2005, 02:34 PM   #85
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, shoot, that was me, and it should be Pecan Cake. I'm so sorry about that. Guess I had pie on the brain.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:34 PM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lee140
Stats: 16+/10/8
Start Date: 1/26/04
I made it with only 3 eggs (that's all I had!), and only cooked it for 50 minutes. The center was still loose when I took it out. It was very much like pecan pie. When I tried it this afternoon though after refrigerating overnight, the texture was much more cake like. I have to say though, that either way, this is my new all time favorite dessert recipe.

Old 02-28-2005, 03:35 PM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Oh, shoot, that was me, and it should be Pecan Cake. I'm so sorry about that. Guess I had pie on the brain.
no matter... I luuuuuvvvvvv a good pecan pie!!!! Wish I could make a good LC one. I figured you all were on to something fantastic coming up with a texture change for making it more pie like
Old 03-02-2005, 04:53 PM   #88
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fluffyfriend
WOE: Low carb- low fat
Bump

Thanks for sharing these recipes with us. I recieved my PolyD, and plan on trying some of these in the mornig. :
Old 03-02-2005, 09:17 PM   #89
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mottslanding, I have a great recipe for pecan pie. Remind me and I'll post it, Actually, do a searc for pecan pie. and see if my name comes up. It is not my recipe , but absolutely wonderful.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:52 PM   #90
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Quote:
Originally posted by mahyde
I made these with the mini carb chips and the fudge did not come out looking anywhere near like the picture. BUT it was delicious. I had to break it up into bite size pieces and then I froze it.
Was it too hard to cut when it was cold?
Or just too hard to cut at any temperature?
I let mine sit out at room temperature for a while before I cut it.
Even at room temperature, it still held its shape.
The other thing I thought of... the polydextrose isn't "cooked" before
the chocolate goes in.
It's only on the heat to dissolve it.
I'm thinking if it was heated too long, it might make your fudge harder
to cut at any temperature.
I just made another batch today, only I used MiniCarb chips in this one,
and subbed toasted pecan pieces for the peanut butter.
I have a feeling this is going to be even better than the first one.

[color=darkblue]

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chocolate Pecan Fudge

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 36 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Dessert Holiday
Polydextrose

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 Tablespoons SugarSlim
liquid Splenda equivalent to 2/3 cup sugar
1 cup polydextrose
8 ounces MiniCarb chocolate chips
1 3/4 cups chopped pecans -- toasted

Bring cream, SugarSlim and Splenda to a slow boil over medium-low heat.

Whisk in polydextrose, slowly, so that cream stays hot enough to dissolve it.
(If you get a clump, just stir for a while to get cream back up to temperature, then continue.)

Add chips, stirring until melted.

Add pecans and keep stirring until all is blended.

Remove from heat and pour into an 8-inch square (buttered or non-stick) pan.

Refrigerate for 4 hours, or until firm, before cutting into squares.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 86 Calories; 7g Fat (60.6% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 5mg Cholesterol; 14mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0

[/color]

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it by the book...
It's not a stall when you're cheating!
If you don't want to do something, one excuse is as good as any other. (Yiddish Proverb)
~Proud to be a Famous Banta Babe~