Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 08:17 AM   #331
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: merizadolittle
Stats: need to lose 8 more lbs,often fail induction
WOE: atkins induction every time I need to lose quickly
Start Date: around 7 yrs ago
to "crazy woman

Hi, I like your quote john 3:16 is it? how do you put a quote in your profile? I love what you said, "my mind not only wanders..." or whatever, very funny!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2011, 08:24 AM   #332
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: merizadolittle
Stats: need to lose 8 more lbs,often fail induction
WOE: atkins induction every time I need to lose quickly
Start Date: around 7 yrs ago
to dkerfoot

do you need the polyd? how many calories are in the 1/2 cup of the "sugar" I forget the name already, oy. Have you tried the brown version of that "sugar"? is it good?
Now, if you need the polyd, do you just use it pwd? mix with the "sugar" and melt? Thanks for the recipe. The "sugar" sounds like something great to discover if it behaves like sugar by melting and bulking in cake.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #333
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Cap57
Stats: 155/150/135 (5'8")
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Sept. 2003
I'm not candid cam, but I have found that as long as I have other dry ingredients to mix the polyd with, it works fine. I only need to heat it in a liquid if it's the main dry ingredient in the recipe, such as when I make toffee nut clusters. So, for cookies, you should be fine. I generally use about 1/2 the amount of polyd as the recipe calls for in sugar equivalents. So, if your recipe calls for the equivalent of 1 cup sugar, use 1/2 cup polyd plus your sweeteners. You might start out with even less till you see how your body reacts to the fiber. I love it and just ordered a bunch more bags of it, mainly for the aforementioned nut clusters...(my family's favorite!), although it improves the texture of any baked good.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:52 AM   #334
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ons-1-cup.html

merizdolittle, This might help to answer some of your questions...Post #5
Old 02-25-2011, 02:02 PM   #335
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by merizadolittle View Post
Hi, I like your quote john 3:16 is it? how do you put a quote in your profile? I love what you said, "my mind not only wanders..." or whatever, very funny!
Yes, it is John 3:16! And I love both it and the mind wanders quote too!!! I'm afraid I resemble that remark!!!

To put the quotes (whatever you want to write) in you profile (signature at bottom of page):
Got to the blue toolbar. On the left, click on User Control Panel , then click on Edit Signature.

Write your quote in the box, then click Save Signature at the bottom of the page. (You can click Preview Signature first if you like to see how it looks.) That should do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LCF edit sig.JPG (19.4 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 02-25-2011 at 02:04 PM..
Old 11-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #336
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sissiesue
Stats: 173/129/129
Start Date: September 27, 2010
subscribing
Old 11-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #337
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
How does the Poly-D improve the texture? More moisture? Bulk? Chewiness?
Old 11-13-2011, 09:45 PM   #338
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: F8thful1
Stats: 225/185/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBipp View Post
How does the Poly-D improve the texture? More moisture? Bulk? Chewiness?
Yes to all three!
Old 01-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #339
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TBipp
Stats: 142/112/120, 5 ft 2 in
WOE: Combined low carb
Start Date: 05/23/2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieba View Post
Pam,
When I first made Jaideye's brownie recipe, my husband didn't like it but I tweaked it reducing the chocolate and he loves them now. You might want to try a little tweaking for your hubby. They still come out like a fudgey brownie but not as gooey.

My tweaked version:
1 cup POLYD
1/3 CUP ERYTHRITOL
1 PACK SWEETONE
1/2 cup CARBQUIK

2 SQUARES UNSWEETENED CHOCOLATE
1 STICK BUTTER
9 DROPS SWEETZFREE LIQUID SPLENDA (1/3 cup sugar equiv)
1 TSP VANILLA EGGS

˝ CUP CHOPPED PECANS

PREHEAT OVEN TO 325 DEGREES

MIX DRY INGREDIENTS.
MELT BUTTER AND CHOCOLATE
ADD SPLENDA & VANILLA TO BUTTER/CHOC MIX
LET COOL A BIT THEN ADD EGGS TO BUTTER/CHOC
SLOWLY ADD WET INGRED TO DRY WHISKING/STIRRING VIGOROUSLY
ADD NUTS

BAKE IN FOIL LINES/SPRAYED 8” SQUARE PAN

BAKE 30-35 MINUTES.
Oh my goodness, I just tried the Polyd for the first time ever and in this recipe which was posted quite a while back. I am thrilled with the texture--a truly sticky, chewy brownie! I admit that my sweetener combination is a little off tasting; however, I am struggling to find a perfect sweetener combination for baking with chocolate. I did not have SweetOne or Erythritol (it's on order) and subbed stevia extract and Sweet Perfection. I think it could be the stevia or Sweetzfree as I truly do not like Splenda with chocolate. I need to narrow this down for future chocolate recipes!

For those that have been looking for that elusive texture of high carb goodies, polyd may be your answer.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:07 AM   #340
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: dldickins
Stats: 309/269/125
WOE: HFLC, NK July 2014
Start Date: May 28, 2011. Restarted July 22, 2014
Poly d syrup question

Can the recipe for making Poly D syrup be used as a substitute for corn syrup in a recipe?

Deb D
Old 08-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #341
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AddysMommy
Stats: 188.5/185/145 (5'9")
Start Date: april 2012, restart feb 2014
newbie to the POLY d , ihad never even heard of it untill i looked up carbquick pizza crust. so is it a sweetener? i know it improves texture , can it be used in savory recipes? sorry for the confusion!!
Old 08-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #342
Junior LCF Member

PolyD is only 10 percent as sweet as sugar. It's mainly used to add the "bulk" that sugar provides in a recipe and then other high intensity sweetners can be used for the sweetness. I have been using it a lot in baking, cookies, cakes and cornbread. I have been using a Scott123's PolyD sugar substitute formula with great success. If your savory recipe doesn't call for sugar you really wouldn't need to add PolyD. Hope this helps.

Deb

Last edited by dldickins; 08-05-2012 at 06:25 PM..
Old 08-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #343
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dldickins View Post
PolyD is only 10 percent as sweet as sugar. It's mainly used to add the "bulk" that sugar provides in a recipe and then other high intensity sweetners can be used for the sweetness. I have been using it a lot in baking, cookies, cakes and cornbread. I have been using a Scott123's PolyD sugar substitute formula with great success. If your savory recipe doesn't call for sugar you really wouldn't need to add PolyD. Hope this helps.

Deb
THank YOu, i was just thinking along the lines of biskets made from carbqick, because as i understand it adds to the texture ,making it less crumbly and closer in texture to the high carb versions of food. i love carbqiuck, but hate the texture it gives some foods!!
Old 08-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #344
Senior LCF Member

omg I've been reading and I'm sooooooo confused, we add the poly d separate from the sweeteners, how do we know how much to add if we are converting a recipie?
Old 08-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #345
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244

There is some wonderful info in post #5. Not all recipes NEED polyd to work.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #346
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post

There is some wonderful info in post #5. Not all recipes NEED polyd to work.
Thank you for sending me to taht post! alot of info to take in, and i'm not quite sure i understood it all. lol i'm sure if i follow the recepies on this thread i'll do fine. don't know if i understand it well enough to experiment on my own.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #347
Senior LCF Member

HELP

How do i know if the sugar I'm substituting is for sweetness or bulk? I'm so freaking confused!!!!!!! I have splenda packets,liquid splenda, erytritol powdered, and poly d. can someone just give me a formula so that when i'm converting a recipe for a baked good, i can just measure and put it in without all the math and science??? PLEASE!!!!!! i have 5 kids and my brain is fried. lol i just can't wrap my head around all of the different posts on here about equivalents. and i hate stevia don't want to have to add it to the mix.
THANK YOU in advance!!!
Old 08-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #348
Junior LCF Member

I have been using Scott123's formula in this thread (post #184) with a lot of success. Which is for each 1 cup of sugar equivalent you use 2/3 cup PolyD, 1/3 cup granulated erythritol, 1 pkt Sweet One and 1/3 cup splenda (8 drops sweetzfree). I have been having to add between 12 to 16 drops of Sweetzfree to get the sweetness level I desire. For brownies and cornbread, things that don't need to be creamed, I just put the polyd, erythritol and sweet one in with the dry ingredients and add the sweetzfree to the liquid ingredients. Basically, I don't count polyd as part of the sweetner--just as the bulk. So in Scott123's formula the sweetness comes from 1/3 erythritol and 1/3 cup slenda and 1pkt sweet one (2 tsp). That's why I have been doubling the sweetzfree because I'm only getting 2/3 cup sweetness instead of 1 cup. I know the synergistic effect is supposed to allow for using less sweetners but I have found with my baking that baked products lose some of their sweetness after baking. Either that or I just have a really sweet tooth!

I have made a cake with this and since you can't cream polyd with the butter, I add the polyd to the dry ingredients and cream the erythritol and sweet one with the butter.

I have been thinking about making up a mix of the polyd, erythritol, and sweet one and putting into baggies for 1 cup and 1/2 measures. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. You could probably make up a large batch of the dry mixture and then just scoop out the equivalent of what you would need. If you went this route, maybe it would be better to substitute powdered stevia for the splenda so you wouldn't have to add anymore artifical sweetners to the recipe. But then you could only use this mixture for non-creamed recipes like muffins & quickbreads.

Below, I have copied and pasted a post I found from another thread called "Sugar Equivalents" that has good info from Scott123. I hope that's okay. I don't know how to link to other threads.

HTH,

Deb D

Originally Posted by lgpars Scott123, is there some way to know how much polyD to put in a recipe and to take the place of what? I've got this stuff but don't know how to use it. Is it to take the place of part of the sweetener or added to it? Thanks for any info you can give me on using it.

The way I see it, there's two approaches you can take.

Adding Polyd to an existing lc recipe

Unless it's a recipe containing non erythritol SAs (maltitol, maltitol syrup, xylitol) the vast majority of lc dessert recipes one comes across are bulk deficient. In other words, chewy/gooey is not a common trait of homemade lc sweets. Because of this, polyd can usually be added without subbing it for anything else. How much? Well, that's when it gets a little tricky. I usually look at a recipe and calculate the amount of sweetening in it and then I look at the sugary texture providing components. If, say, a recipe contains:

2 cups of splenda
1 cup of erythritol

Taking synergy into account, that comes out to about

3 cups sweetening equivalent
1 cup bulk (from the erythritol)*

Can you see the missing bulk here? The missing chewiness/gooeyness? Ideally, the amount of sugary bulk you're adding should equal the amount of sweetness. That being said, would I add 2 cups of polyd to this recipe? Probably not. Adding that much polyd might create assimilation/clumping issues. It also might impact the cooking time too much (polyd rich desserts need to be cooked longer at lower temperatures). I would add the polyd in stages. Maybe 1/2 C. the first time and see if I like it. If I like the results, maybe I'd go up to a cup of polyd the next time, at the same time lowering the oven temp by 25 to 50 degrees and making sure that I add it in a non clumping way.

If you're feeling extra cautious, you could try 1/4 cup increments, but I know, from my own experience, that I've added 1/4 C. of polyd to recipes and the end result was almost identical to the non polyd version. Unless the recipe is very small, you really need at least a 1/2 cup to see the impact from the polyd.

Converting a high carb recipe to low carb

This, I find, is where polyd is ideal. The recipe tells you the amount of sugar to match- you just use enough erythritol and polyd to add up to the bulk and use splenda, ace k or stevia to make up for the missing sweetness.

This method involves the least experimentation. It also, imo, produces the best results. Most lc recipes are interpretations of high carb originals, and not always good ones. Polyd based sweetening mixes allow us to go back to the original masterpiece without sacrificing any loss in quality in the conversion to low carb. At least from a sugar replacing perspective. From a flour replacing one, there's still some work to do. Still, though, I'd rather have, say, an old family recipe that's been fine tuned for generations made with carbalose and a polyd mix than that same recipe converted to low carb and then polyd added. Polyd/sweetener combining brings us closer to the source.

*For the sake of explanation I'm oversimplifying things a bit- polyd has a small amount of sweetness and splenda a small amount of bulk. I've also used two sweeteners here, but in reality, I'd never use only two sweeteners (splenda, erythritol), always three (by adding ace k or stevia).[/I][/I][/I]
Old 08-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #349
Senior LCF Member

dldickins THANK YOU , THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #350
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddysMommy View Post
dldickins THANK YOU , THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!
You're welcome! I hope this works out for you.

Deb D