Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2006, 11:48 AM   #271
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/6/04
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirezmary
Scott, you mention you backed off on the polyd - does that mean none, 1/2?
Also, any tips for the mixing problem. Do you think its ok to use all liquid splenda for this? I'll try it once more if you wouldnt mind posting how you did yours.
I'm having trouble tracking down my brownie recipe (it's been a while since I've made brownies) but from what I recall, it's extremely close to both Jackie's (above) and Makeupmonsterdog's (in the carbalose flour thread). The only thing I do differently is bake them longer at a lower temp. 325 for 30 minutes is a little too raw tasting for me. I'm pretty sure I go with 275 for something like an hour.

The mixing problem should be resolved by combining/mixing the dry in one bowl, the wet in another and then mixing the two together. If you want to take one extra step to prevent clumping, stir the wet while you slowly pour in the dry ingredients.

Utilizing multiple sweeteners is critical for the brownie recipe. Splenda by itself is not that great in chocolate desserts. The polyd helps to mitigate this problem, but you'll definitely want to use at least one other sweetener. If you let me know what sweeteners you have on hand, I'll give you formula to work with in either Jackie's or Makeupmonsterdog's recipe.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2006, 08:31 AM   #272
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hirezmary
Stats: 195/160/145
WOE: Semi-Atkins
Start Date: January 2005
Hi Scott, I have polyd, but its not the sweetened kind.
I have liquid sweetners - sweetfreeze and fiberfit. I have powdered stevia and powdered fiberfit as well.

thanks for your help!
Old 04-06-2006, 11:01 AM   #273
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
Start Date: 2/6/04
Mary, it's time to beef up your sweetener arsenal

How's your tolerance to sugar alcohols? If you are okay with SAs then I'd recommend picking up some xylitol, as that seems to be very cost effective. Otherwise, I'd spend the big bucks and obtain some erythritol.

Besides xylitol or erythritol, I'd spend the couple of bucks to get Sweet One. Stevia will do in a pinch, but Sweet One tastes so much better and is a fraction of the cost.

Netrition has all three items. Xylitol should be available locally. Sweet One might be locally available as well. If you google "Sweet One" a store locator will come up.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:45 AM   #274
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hirezmary
Stats: 195/160/145
WOE: Semi-Atkins
Start Date: January 2005
Thanks Scott. I'm gonna have to order the E and SweetOne on my next order.
thanks again!
Old 04-25-2006, 05:58 AM   #275
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Susan
Stats: 264/224/140 5'6.5"
Start Date: July 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyR
Premium Vanilla Ice Cream

Step #1:
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup PolyD
1/2 cup Erythritol
1 cup Splenda or liquid equivalent
a pinch of salt
1 tablespoon SteviaPlus
2 cups heavy cream

Put all ingredients into a saucepan and whisk constantly until mixture comes to a full rolling boil. Remove from heat.

Step #2:
2-1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract-(this in not a misprint) or the scrapings of 1 whole vanilla bean
2 whole jumbo eggs
3 jumbo egg yolks

Place eggs, yolks and vanilla in a blender. Turn blender on and blend for about 20 seconds or until mixture becomes light in color.

In a very thin ribbon, slowly pour boiling cream mixture into the eggs with the blender running until all the cream has been added. Blend for another 30 seconds or so and turn blender off.

Step #3:
2 cups Carb Countdown milk

Pour cream/egg mixture into a covered container and add Carb Countdown milk; stir well.

Place mixture in the refrigerator and let it chill and ripen overnight. The next day place mixture into ice cream freezer and make ice cream.

Spoon mixture into a freezer container and place in freezer to finish freezing.
I just had to pipe up about this one. For over 2 years now, I have been trying to find a recipe to replace my old high-carb homemade vanilla ice cream, to no avail. I made this one over the weekend, and it was indistinguishable. I served it to some non-LCing guests and they raved about it. I followed the recipe exactly -- the only change I made was the eggs -- I had large instead of jumbo, so used 3 wholes + 2 yolks. Absolutely unbelievable! Thanks so much, BettyR!!
Old 04-25-2006, 08:30 AM   #276
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
Start Date: October 2005
The ice cream recipe sounds wonderful. Is the SteviaPlus 1 Tbsp sugar equiv? I don't have Stevia so I'll need to substitute. How much ice cream does this make (gotta figure if I can handle the carb count and I wouldn't stop at a 1/2 cup serving!).
Old 04-25-2006, 11:29 AM   #277
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieba
The ice cream recipe sounds wonderful. Is the SteviaPlus 1 Tbsp sugar equiv? I don't have Stevia so I'll need to substitute. How much ice cream does this make (gotta figure if I can handle the carb count and I wouldn't stop at a 1/2 cup serving!).
Yes, I would think whatever you used to replace 1 T sugar would work fine. Mine made about 6 cups after freezing, and according to my calculations it's 4 net carbs per 1/2 cup serving.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:07 PM   #278
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
Actually, 1 Tbs. of SteviaPlus would equate more to 1/2 - 3/4 cup sweetness...

Old 04-25-2006, 06:29 PM   #279
Senior LCF Member

Yeah, I'm not sure what the original poster used. I guess my assumption was that it was a granular product, and I have the SteviaPlus packets, so I just used 2 packets in place of that and it was plenty sweet combined with the other sweeteners, so I think it may be too sweet if you put in another 1/2-3/4 c. (?)
Old 07-20-2006, 01:21 AM   #280

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
I just went through 10 pages of post and didn't see anything like this so I thought I'd post it here.

It is a nutty lace cookie that I came up with back when I 1st started using PolyD.

My original recipe used PolyD plus but since most are past using that I will list it with plain polyD.

I mixed together:

1/4 cup almond flour or hazelnut flour or pecan flour
2 Tablespoons polydextrose
2 Tablespoons equivilent liquid splenda
2 Tablespoons butter
1 Tablespoon wheat protein isolate 5000

preheat oven to 350

drop teaspoon size cookies on parchment lined cookie sheet 4 inches apart

bake aprox. 5 mins. till the edge is starting to crisp and brown.
they spread to 1/8 inch thin and about 3 inches round and are bubbling and airy looking in the middle.

let cool and enjoy

yeild 4 cookies 1 net carbs each

I make these in a small batch of 4 for portion control because they are quite addicting.

It was a wonderful nutty crunchy and chewy cookie and so simple to make.
Note: Of the 3 flours I list the Pecan is most definitely my fav!!!

I added a few SF chocolate chip on top.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:45 AM   #281
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lscoop
Stats: 115, maintaining
WOE: Mostly raw, organic, low-glycemic
Start Date: 8/05
Hi Kevin-
What did you omit that seems to be melting on top.....chocolate chips?? yum.....
Old 07-20-2006, 07:03 AM   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinpa
I added a few SF chocolate chip on top.
yes...sorry i didn't list them in the ingredients.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:56 PM   #283
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
I love your recipe Kevinpa. They are delicious. Thought I was eating oatmeal cookies today when I made them with a little mesquite flour and almond flour. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:50 AM   #284
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
Start Date: October 2005
Sugarbabi, what is mesquite flour?
Old 07-21-2006, 11:37 AM   #285
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieba
Sugarbabi, what is mesquite flour?
Hi there,
It's a type of flour substitute made from the beans from mesquite trees. It's a new discovery for me, but it's actually been used for centuries, even before the pyramids were built. It's kind of a sweetish, molasses-ish tasting flour and you can substitute with about 1/3 of it for flour in recipes for baking. If you go to the recipes and suggestions forum, there is a thread there about the mesquite flour and someone posted a lot of information there. It's an interesting read and the health benefits of this product are outstanding. Great for people with diabetes and it's supposed to be sort of a natural appetite suppressant. Also if you type in "mesquite bean flour" in google, you will get all kinds of sites and all of them have good information about the mesquite beans and the uses for them. You can even make a type of syrup with them too. I haven't gotten the syrup test done, but I will post when I do it. You can order the beans or the flour online, but mesquite trees grow wild here in Texas. Unfortunately, most of the beans on my trees are long gone due to this terrible heat this year, but next year, I may get a good crop of them. I've lived in Texas off and on most of my life and the mesquite trees have always been a wonderful source of shade and wood for BBQ's, but I never knew the beans had any value whatsoever, other than keeping the rake busy. LOL
Old 07-25-2006, 08:06 PM   #286
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: crazywoman-n-wy
Stats: 132/116/100
WOE: My way - low carb
Start Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123
................ Sweet One might be locally available as well. If you google "Sweet One" a store locator will come up.
[COLOR=Sienna] The weirdest thing..... I have a bookmark for sweetone that I've had for some time. I just decided to take a look at it again and check or a store locator, as well as the price.
When I brought it up, it was a Sweet N Low page. The URL is www.sweetone.com !!!!!
Sooooo...... I did a search for Sweet One. Clicked on the first one which said again www.sweetone.com , and same page came up!!!!

Used to be able to order Sweet One directly from the company from that site. Now I couldn't even find any info on it at all there!
OK, I've still been messin around in that website. I clicked on the order online link. It brought up an order page which was still a Sweet N Low page, but on the side it had Sweet One. Clicking on it brings up a Sweet One page. Not really any info on it there, but can order it there.
OH, and you can click on store locator, and then find Sweet One in the dropdown box there.
They don't have it in a store within 55 miles of me.
[/COLOR]

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 07-25-2006 at 08:23 PM..
Old 07-25-2006, 08:16 PM   #287
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

When I clicked on your link, the sweet 'n low site came up.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:30 PM   #288
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR=Red]SugarBabi,
I think I was editing my post when you replied.
Check out the edited post. You can find Sweet One there, but it isn't easy. I emailed them about it.
I'm trying to find out if it is cheaper to order direct from them or thru Netrition. Don't know if you can get it anywhere else online or not.[/COLOR]

Last edited by crazywoman-n-wy; 07-25-2006 at 08:57 PM..
Old 07-26-2006, 10:52 AM   #289
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Dreamchaser
Could someone explain to me what polydextrose is? I thought it was a form of sugar.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:23 PM   #290
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy
[COLOR=Red]SugarBabi,
I think I was editing my post when you replied.
Check out the edited post. You can find Sweet One there, but it isn't easy. I emailed them about it.
I'm trying to find out if it is cheaper to order direct from them or thru Netrition. Don't know if you can get it anywhere else online or not.[/COLOR]
I could be mistaken, but I think I bought sweet one at the Super Walmart a while back.

If you were wanting to make an order from Netrition, it would be a better deal. I didn't check the s&h on the sweet 'n low site, but Netrition has a flat rate fee of $4.95, so it's a great bargain on shipping if you have other things to order and I beleive their price is a little bit cheaper than the snl site's. I can always find lots to order from Netrition and I personally would rather get everything from just one place, but that's just me.

Dreamchaser--check out this link for polyd info: http://www.netrition.com/lifesource_polyd_page.html
Old 07-26-2006, 09:59 PM   #291
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR=Red]Yes SugarBabi,
Netrition is cheaper. Especially if I'm going to buy other things from them, and I will have some other stuff to get when I get ready to order the Sweet One. Actually am not ready to order anything right now.
But in a month or so, I'll probably be placing an order.

I actually don't even like to order things, but some things that is just the only way I can get them. I was actually hoping I could find a store near me that carried it. They don't. Yes, I'm sure some that some of the Wal*Mart's carry it. But they don't all carry the same things. There are a lot of things that people on here say they get at their Wal*Mart, that mine doesn't carry. And I have some things that some of the others don't carry. Well, enough babble.[/COLOR]
Old 07-27-2006, 03:09 AM   #292
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Yes, I have noticed that all Walmart's are not created equal. I can drive 30 miles east of here to a smaller Walmart and find lots of things our big super Walmart has never carried, plus the employees are actually friendly and helpful.
I like ordering things online, but only if they can justify the s&h expense. Some places really rake you over the coals on s&h. We live outside a very small town, population less than 400, so I have to drive about 15 miles to the Walmart or grocery store. And then, we only have the Super Walmart and one HEB grocery store, so I don't got a lot of choices, and I end up ordering online because of that. Then with the price of gas lately, it's not a bad deal to pay for the shipping in some cases.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:24 AM   #293

Speaking of all Walmarts not being equal. I have 2 near me both super walmarts. one is 5 mins away and the other about 30 mins away. The one walmart has prices about 5% higher than the other just because of the area that it is in for the same merchandise. There should be a law against that
Old 07-27-2006, 03:41 AM   #294
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

LOL...I hear ya Kevinpa. The little Walmart I go to has s/f sodas for 50 cents less per 6pk than the super Walmart that is closer to me. Not that it's a big deal, but I have to wonder why.

I have noticed the price differences in some things, just can't think of what all right now.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:21 AM   #295
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBabi
LOL...I hear ya Kevinpa. The little Walmart I go to has s/f sodas for 50 cents less per 6pk than the super Walmart that is closer to me. Not that it's a big deal, but I have to wonder why.

I have noticed the price differences in some things, just can't think of what all right now.
[COLOR=Red]
I'm sure most of it has to do with overhead costs. Makes sense.[/COLOR]
Old 07-28-2006, 12:49 PM   #296
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywoman-n-wy
[COLOR=Red]
I'm sure most of it has to do with overhead costs. Makes sense.[/COLOR]
Maybe it depends on the nearest competition also.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:21 AM   #297
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Conevery
Stats: 258/186/135
WOE: VSG/LC
Start Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123 View Post
... It'll depend on the recipe and on your proportions of each sweetener, but you might run into crystallization problems. In other words, your baked goods may taste fine straight from the oven but as they cool they might go sandy and have a stronger cooling effect/minty taste ... If you start noticing a cooling effect/sandiness, then you might want to get into polyd.
WOW ~ Finally I see someone else talking about a phenomenon that I've experienced and didn't know what it was. I'm experimenting with different sweeteners and just tried a product called "sweet perfection". I made banana nut muffins and straight from the oven they were amazing. I was thrilled b/c the carb count was really low, but the next day they had a weird cool/minty taste that I couldn't explain. I guess I was hoping to find the holy grail of one-stop sweetening power as this product states that it can be substituted equally for sugar; however, looks like I'm gonna have to try to mix up the sweetners like everyone else is doing.

Thanks for this super-cool, informative thread!
Old 12-04-2006, 08:53 PM   #298
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yummy's_Girl
Stats: 168/134/130-135
WOE: A way of my own
Start Date: June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBabi View Post

I used to work at walmart years ago and the prices vary by store because they base them on the economy of the nieghborhood. Or at least they did, back then. All of the walmarts around here are still done that way.

The neighborhoods closer to an interstate and in a more expensive area are higher priced than those in the moderate neighborhoods.

Also, here, the walmarts in the more expensive neighborhoods carry more of the low carb and healthy products, than the others.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:43 AM   #299
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sososo
Stats: 315/188/170
Start Date: Feb 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
I just had to pipe up about this one. For over 2 years now, I have been trying to find a recipe to replace my old high-carb homemade vanilla ice cream, to no avail. I made this one over the weekend, and it was indistinguishable. I served it to some non-LCing guests and they raved about it. I followed the recipe exactly -- the only change I made was the eggs -- I had large instead of jumbo, so used 3 wholes + 2 yolks. Absolutely unbelievable! Thanks so much, BettyR!!
I love this ice cream. I just made the recipe, sub Z-Trim for the butter. I thought it was as good if not better than the butter version. I don't object to saving a few calories, especially if fiber is added.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:27 PM   #300
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
I love BettyR's ice cream! I love Z-trim, so I will definitely try this. I also lower the amount of pdx and use some Not Sugar, about 2 teaspoons. Tummy issues. But this is my definitive cooked custard ice cream. Just can't indulge often. . .I'm a piggy, ya know.