Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2005, 06:24 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annie O
Quote:
Originally posted by LcThinCyclist
cheese and bacon.
Makes EVERYTHING taste better!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2005, 11:24 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: its4me
WOE: Weight Watchers Points Plus
Start Date: 4/24/11
bumping so more people add more great ideas!
Old 01-03-2005, 12:42 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
ooo! I have another one!!

Chicken Cordon Bleu!!!

Pound out the chicken breast so it's flat. Put some Ham Swiss in the middle and fold over. Saute in Butter until cooked through!!
Old 01-03-2005, 02:23 PM   #34
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: 5cats4me
Stats: 185/134/130
WOE: Atkins without counting
Start Date: Jan 04
STICKY!! STICKY!! STICKY!!!

Great thread!
I like to grill the chicken breasts with fajita seasoning and serve with low carb tortillas and fried onions and peppers, cheese, and sour cream. I make a lot to have leftovers and make a fajita salad for lunch the next day.

My other favorite is shish ka bobs. I marinate the cut up chicken and veggies (onions,peppers,squash or zuchini) in carb well italian dressing, skewer and grill. I like to grill keilbasa too and serve with the shish ka bobs. Add a salad and it's a meal. YUMMY!
Old 01-04-2005, 02:07 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BluCrystal
Stats: 5'0"
Start Date: December 28, 2005
Some really yummy ideas! I don't know why but I always get stumped when trying to think what to do with plain chicken breast. I'll definitely have to refer back to this thread!
Old 01-04-2005, 04:21 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlatislaw
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18, 2012
I like to pound them very thin, fry a few minures in a little grease with salt and pepper and use for sandwich with mayo and lettuce. Not much in the seasoning dept, but a way we like to eat them!

JL
Old 01-04-2005, 09:50 PM   #37
Domestic Goddess

Gallery: GardenMom
Stats: 225-223-160
WOE: LC
A few nights ago, I "fried" the chicken pieces in egg, then parmesan...and then dipped in ranch...I thought I had died and gone to heaven It was like nuggets.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:08 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: texasangel
Stats: 190/130
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 8/1/13
my fave is "stephs yummy chicken stuff" in the recipe room!
Old 01-05-2005, 10:31 AM   #39
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: binki
Stats: 190/160/140
WOE: just low carb
Start Date: November 2003
My favorite thing to do with chicken breasts is to walk past them and pick up a package of thighs instead! They don't need to be doctored, just simply seasoned and roasted.

If I could find breasts with the skin on I'd consider buying them but they always seem to be skinless, boneless, moistureless, flavorless... Yick!

Maybe you could alternate breasts and thighs in a pan and they'd take advantage of the juices from the thighs?
Old 01-05-2005, 11:02 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally posted by binki
My favorite thing to do with chicken breasts is to walk past them and pick up a package of thighs instead! They don't need to be doctored, just simply seasoned and roasted.

If I could find breasts with the skin on I'd consider buying them but they always seem to be skinless, boneless, moistureless, flavorless... Yick!

Maybe you could alternate breasts and thighs in a pan and they'd take advantage of the juices from the thighs?
If they're cooked right, they are very moist and I like the mild flavor enchanced with other seasoning. Thighs have their own flavor and I like them for other uses too, but breasts are good as well. Great source of protein too!!!
Old 01-05-2005, 07:30 PM   #41
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Heh-- I guess one woman's mild is another woman's bland.

Different strokes and all that; if we all liked the same parts there'd be a lot of half-eaten birds out there!

Back on topic: how about chicken Kiev?
Old 01-05-2005, 09:28 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Sounds yummy! I've heard of it...but never had it. How do you make it???
Old 01-07-2005, 01:51 PM   #43
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I haven't made it low-carb, yet, but that should be figureoutable. I guess I'd use pork rinds or Keto Crumbs or parmesan or a combination of some or all of those things.

Here's Alton Brown's high-carb version, using panko:

Chicken Kiev
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra for seasoning chicken
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus extra for seasoning chicken
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 large whole eggs, beaten with 1 teaspoon water
2 cups Japanese bread crumbs (panko), plus 1/4 cup for filling
Vegetable oil, for frying

Combine butter, parsley, tarragon, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in the bowl of a stand mixer. Place mixture on plastic wrap or waxed paper and roll into small log; place in freezer.

Place chicken breasts, 1 at a time, between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Squirt chicken lightly with water and squirt the top of the plastic wrap as well. Pound to no less than 1/8-inch thickness. Season each piece of chicken with salt and pepper.

Lay 1 chicken breast on a new piece of plastic wrap and place 1/4 of the compound butter and 1 tablespoon bread crumbs in the center of each breast. Using the plastic wrap to assist, fold in ends of breast and roll breast into a log, completely enclosing the butter; roll very tightly. Repeat with each breast. Place chicken in refrigerator for 2 hours, or up to overnight.

Place egg and water mixture in 1 pie pan and 2 cups bread crumbs in a different pie pan.

Heat 1/2-inch of vegetable oil in a 12-inch saute pan over medium-high heat until oil reaches 375 degrees F.

Dip each breast in the egg mixture and then roll in the bread crumbs. Gently place each breast in oil, sealed-side down, and cook until golden brown, approximately 4 to 5 minutes on each side, until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Remove to a cooling rack set in sheet pan and allow to drain for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
1/06 1440; 2/06 1530; 3/06 1740; 4/06 1800; 5/06 1650; 6/06: 660; 7/06: 540 8/06: 840
Steps logged in 2005: 4,378,192

Completed 420 minutes of 1,000 minutes goal for September Fitness Challenge!
Old 01-07-2005, 01:58 PM   #44
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SuZi
WOE: Atkins
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts: I like to dip them into egg & melted butter (mixed together) then roll into unsweetened coconut.....bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes...yummy.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:55 PM   #45
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TXLoser
WOE: WW/LC
Start Date: January 2004
GREAT IDEAS HERE...

What about the Cola BBQ Chicken recipe.

Here is the link..

Cola Chicken... omg is this ever good!!!

Chicken Breasts
LC Ketchup
Diet Rite..

This is a hit at our house and on the menu for the weekend
Old 01-07-2005, 05:11 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NulloModo
One of my favorite chicken dishes is Chicken Diablo, which I actually haven't made in a while, hmmm....

Here is the recipe:

This is an adaptation of a shrimp dish I very much enjoy, I don't have an exact carb count, but from the ingredients I can't imagine it being over around 4-5 grams per serving. Feel free to adapt levels of spice to your personal tastes.

1.5 lbs Chicken Breast, Boneless (about 3 breasts, 1 package)
2 tbsp. Olive Oil
1 tbsp. Butter
4 Cloves Garlic, Minced
3 Green Onions, Chopped finely
3 Tbsp. Tequila
1/2 tbsp. Chilli Powder
2 tbsp. Cayenne Pepper
1/2 tsp. ground Cumin
1/4 tsp. Onion Powder
3/4 Cup Heavy Cream
1/4 Cup (yes, that's right) original Tabasco Pepper Sauce (or 1/3 Cup generic red cayenne pepper sauce, such as Louisiana brand or Red Devil).
Shredded Jack or Goat Cheese to taste
Salt and Pepper to taste

Heat oil in non-stick skillet until it is rather hot (medium high heat) and brown chicken breasts for 4-5 minutes per side, depending on thickness (till they are almost completely cooked through).

Add garlic and green onions and saute with chicken on medium heat for a minute or two.

Add tequila and cook for a couple minutes, allowing the alcohol to have time to burn off.

Add cream and turn heat down to medium-low, letting this all simmer. Add chilli powder, cayenne pepper, hot sauce, butter, onion powder, and cumin (everything left but the cheese). Stir and simmer with chicken for several minutes, until chicken is fully cooked, then remove chicken and set aside in a warm oven.

Cook down the sauce over low to medium low heat until it thickens to a consitency you like, adding salt and pepper to taste. Sauce will continue to seperate as it cooks down, keep stirring it back together (it will do this even on the plate).

Take chicken out of oven and grate desired about of cheese over top, then pour warm thickened sauce over breasts, each breast will serve one (or maybe two if they are large breasts).

Serve with a dollop of sour cream or guacamole, or even a small side salad with guacamole and goat cheese.

When finished the sauce should have a bright red to dark pink color, and be a little thinner than a brown gravy. The oils and butters will seperate slightly from the hot sauce and cream as it is poured, but it should remain fairly mixed all together. The flavor is powerful but full and quite tasty, this dish also goes quite well with shrimp, simply cut down cooking times as not to overdo them.

Let me know what you think if you try this .
Old 01-07-2005, 07:35 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweets
Start Date: 1-1-05 restarted
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Wow what a great thread!
Old 01-08-2005, 02:48 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

I could have chicken breasts every night for a month and not get bored!!! I love it!!!
Old 01-08-2005, 04:30 AM   #49
Zib
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Zib
Start Date: August 2012 - Cholesterol down 70 points!
binki - I like both chicken thighs and the boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I buy the thighs boned and skinned, too, tho to make this. The recipe came in my MasterCook in a "15 minute meals" cookbook. (I've never tried it with chicken breasts, but I'm sure it would be great.)

* Exported from MasterCook *

Tuscan Chicken

Recipe By :© Cole Publishing
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:15
Categories : Italian Main Course
Sautéed Simmered
Tuscan

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 tablespoons butter
8 chicken thighs
1/4 cup brandy
1 tomato -- ripe
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup chicken broth
Sea salt
Fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup fresh parsley sprigs-chopped -- no stems

Heat butter to foaming in a sauté pan or skillet over medium heat. Add thighs and cook about 6 minutes, turn as they brown. Add brandy. Slice tomato into pan (to catch all juice) and stir. Slice mushrooms into pan and cook over medium heat 5 minutes. Pour wine into pan, raise heat, and cook 2 minutes to thicken sauce. Season to taste; sprinkle chopped parsley over chicken and serve.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 510 Calories; 35g Fat (66.6% calories from fat); 35g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 173mg Cholesterol; 306mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 4 Fat.

NOTES : You can substitute white wine for the broth.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:10 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Threeboysmom
Stats: 138/118/120
WOE: Atkins Maintenance for health reasons
Start Date: January 20, 2004
Great thread - THANKS!!

My favorite ways to cook chicken:

1) Brown in oil with freshly minced garlic and s&p in olive oil. Simple, but tasty.

2) Pour a can of diet cola and 1 cup of ketchup over chicken breasts (or thighs) in frying pan. Cover & let simmer about 40 minutes. Uncover and cook until sauce is thickened. Delicious!!

My question to those of you who fry with parm. cheese. Everytime I have tried this, the cheese burns & sticks to the bottom of the pan no matter how much olive oil I use. What am I doing wrong? I go to flip them and I lose all the cheese"breading" on the bottom. Help ????
Old 01-09-2005, 01:46 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PhoebeHerself
Stats: 203.4/183.6/160
WOE: -17.8 lbs HCG/JUDDD is next
Start Date: February 2012
Green Chile & Jack Chicken
I apologize, but I don't know who originally posted this recipe. It has become one of my favorites!

Green Chile & Jack Chicken

"Definitely NOT low in fat, but the creamy sauce flavored with green chiles is just so perfect with the
chicken and jack cheese, you can't stop eating it. This recipe is from an old issue of Gourmet
Magazine."
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon oil
2 garlic clove -- mashed
4 chicken breast halves
1 cup chicken broth
4 ounces canned green chiles -- chopped
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
1 cup heavy cream
4 ounces jack cheese -- shredded
Preheat broiler. In an oven proof skillet, melt butter with oil. Add garlic and chicken and saute 10
minutes over low heat, turning once. Remove chicken. Pour off fat.
Add chicken broth and scrape up any browned bits on bottom of skillet. Return chicken to skillet.
Add undrained chilies and mustard. Simmer, uncovered, until chicken is done, about 10 minutes.
Liquid should cook down and be syrupy.
Add cream and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Run skillet under hot
broiler until cheese melts, about 30 seconds.
Yield: 4 servings
2.8 carbs with 0.5 fiber
Old 01-09-2005, 01:49 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PhoebeHerself
Stats: 203.4/183.6/160
WOE: -17.8 lbs HCG/JUDDD is next
Start Date: February 2012
Ophelia's PORK "DIPLOMAT"

Boneless pork roast
Onion
Mayonnaise
Grated cheese

1. Pre-heat oven to 400 F.

2. Take a nice, pink pork roast (with not too much fat around the outside, according to DSIL) and cut it into 1/2" slices, then arrange them along the bottom of a deep baking dish.

3. Slice an onion into half-rings and place them on top of the pork.

4. Take enough mayonnaise to completely cover the pork (thinning it slightly with a little water, if desired) and pour over the top of the pork and onion.

5. Add 4 oz or more of shredded cheese (she uses cheddar, but any gratable cheese will do).

6. Place pan in oven for 15 minutes at 400 F, then reduce heat to 375 F and cook for one hour. If the gratinee starts to become too brown, you can cover the dish with a lid or tin foil.

Notes:
* You can also make Chicken Diplomat, Veal Diplomat, Steak Diplomat, etc. by substituting the pork with other kinds of meat.
* Vegetables may be added. Traditionally, the Ukrainians serve this dish with potatoes, but I found recipes on the Internet that included mushrooms, fresh beets, tomatoes or even prunes!
* The use of mayonnaise and grated cheese over baked meats and vegetables seems to be a very popular combination in Ukraine: I found one restaurant in Kiev on the Internet that had at least four variations of this theme on its menu.
* Other names for this dish include Pork "Le Maxim," Kharkov Steak, Royal Chops or Meat a la France
Old 01-10-2005, 02:21 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Windchimes
Stats: 64 pounds lost forever!
WOE: Was SB, now Atkins
Start Date: August 2004
I tried the egg wash and parmesan, and fried it in olive oil. It was so good! Than I dipped them in garlic ranch dressing, like GardenMom suggested. It was one of the best things I've had in a long time!
Old 01-10-2005, 09:30 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sweets
Start Date: 1-1-05 restarted
Quote:
Originally posted by Windchimes
I tried the egg wash and parmesan, and fried it in olive oil. It was so good! Than I dipped them in garlic ranch dressing, like GardenMom suggested. It was one of the best things I've had in a long time!

How are you frying them? Just a tiny bit of oil in the pan or more of a submerged approach? Won't the parmesan come off?

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2005, 10:31 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dcarlee
Stats: 350/280/200
when I don't feel like cooking I like to top a chicken breast with cheese, bacon and sour cream. Or cheese, jalepenos, salsa and sour cream.

I also like to make a bed of broccoli, top with chopped tomatoes and shredded cheese and top that with a seasoned chicken breast and then alfredo sauce - reminds me of a dish Ruby Tuesday's used to have.

this is also good and easy:

Sante Fe Chicken

1 tsp ground cumin 0.9 carbs
1 tsp chili powder 1.4 carbs
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper 0.7 carbs
olive oil
3 plum tomatoes, diced 8.6 carbs
1 Tbs lime juice 1.0 carbs
1 clove garlic, minced 1.0 carbs
2 tsps minced jalapeno pepper 0.2 carbs
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast

In a bowl, mix the spices and rub over both sides of the chicken. Heat a couple of Tbs of olive oil in skillet. Cook chicken 4-5 minutes per side or until done. Place on a platter. Heat the remaining ingredients until hot. Pour over chicken.

4 servings
3.5 carbs per serving

http://adventuresinlowcarb.blogspot.com/
Old 01-10-2005, 05:16 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Windchimes
Stats: 64 pounds lost forever!
WOE: Was SB, now Atkins
Start Date: August 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by sweets
How are you frying them? Just a tiny bit of oil in the pan or more of a submerged approach? Won't the parmesan come off?

Thanks!
I put enough oil in the pan so that the chicken strips were half immersed. On the side I put down first the parmesan didn't come off. It became like a crispy brown crust. The cheese melted a little on the top side, and when I turned them over I lost some of it from that side. But a lot of it stayed on.

It was sooo good!
Old 01-10-2005, 05:49 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kashtana
Stats: 159/129/130
WOE: low carb,mix
Start Date: 04/01/04
* The use of mayonnaise and grated cheese over baked meats and vegetables seems to be a very popular combination in Ukraine: I found one restaurant in Kiev on the Internet that had at least four variations of this theme on its menu.
* Other names for this dish include Pork "Le Maxim," Kharkov Steak, Royal Chops or Meat a la France [/B][/QUOTE]
This is so true,I am from KIev,Ukraine,and i have at least 5-6 recepies useing this method.Also sometimes we saute onions before layering and a lot of time my mother in law will put a layer of sliced hardbroil eggs before mayo.Sounds weird but it is delicious.Wich web site did you get it from?
Oksana
Old 01-11-2005, 03:39 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: puttchikins
so take a cup of ranch dressing in blender with 1 clove garlic, 1 jalopenes a tbsp chili powder, a tsp cumin and sprinkle in cilantro blend and pour over chicken breasts I usually marinate awhile then bake in a hot 400 oven just add cheese to melt on top at the last minute or they are just as good if not better grilled just keep brushing on the dressing get a nice crust while it grills

but I just read on the kraft site going to try it the next time I make chicken to mix a package good seasoning salad dressing with parmaesan cheese wet the chicken to dampen and roll in the mixture and bake....this sounds good too
Old 01-11-2005, 10:19 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wine2
Stats: 5'7 53 y.o.189/175/165 (size:14,12,10)
Start Date: 12/26/11
This one is great. I use the oven in the winter, though, not the grill.

8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breast tenders
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup SF maple syrup
2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
1 tablespoon sour cream
16 strips bacon
Preheat grill or oven. Rinse thighs, pat dry and season with salt and pepper to taste. Place SF maple syrup in shallow dish. Add mustard and sour cream and stir to combine. Dip thighs in syrup mixture, lightly roll up and wrap each with two strips of bacon to enclose. Secure with wooden toothpicks, if necessary. If bacon strips are long, one strip per thigh may be sufficient. Lightly coat grill with oil or cooking spray. Or bake in oven. Place thighs on preheated grill 4 to 6-inches above direct heat and brown on both sides, about 5 minutes. Move thighs to indirect heat side of grill and continue to cook with lid closed, about 10 to 12 minutes. Watch closely to prevent burning. Test thighs for doneness. Return to direct heat to crisp bacon, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove and place on serving platter. Remove toothpicks and serve. 4 to 6 servings

Beth
Old 01-14-2005, 07:26 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
Start Date: January 31, 2003
Bumping for more. This is great.