Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2003, 04:40 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaulaP
I want to make the cheesecake ice cream posted in this sticky but don't have any French Vanilla Sugar-Free Syrup. How much Splenda should I use in place of this? I assume I would need to add more vanilla extract also, right?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2003, 12:15 AM   #32
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
Hi Paula - Use the same amount of Splenda. If the recipe calls for 1/2 cup of the syrup, then use 1/2 cup of Splenda. Definitely add more vanilla extract - I would recommend at least 1 tablespoon. I would probabaly use 2, myself.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:11 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mamax6
Stats: 192/
WOE: LC no gluten
Start Date: Jan. 02, re-restart: April, '13
When do you add the Glycerin and Lecithin? I've tried 2 recipes and added after cooking (before putting it into the Ice Cream maker). Each time it has not frozen and I've given up. When I make it without those ingred. it comes out perfectly in about 15 mins. But, it freezes very hard.

Help!
Old 09-23-2003, 02:48 AM   #34

Hopefully everyone's questions have been answered at this point!
This is how The Galatea does it:

"I also took my granular lecithin ( the liquid was sickeningly sweet and I couldn't get a fine powder locally) I blended the 2 Tbl of lecithin in my blender for about three minutes, pushing the powder down all the time. Then I added all the other ingredients and the lecithin was completely blended. Yummy."

mamax6 - As you are probably aware, I don't cook my ice cream custard any longer - since I only use heavy whipping cream when I am making my ice cream, and it does not require cooking. I am not concerned about raw eggs. I put everything in the blender. Because everything is cold from the fridge, I am able to make my ice cream right away.

However, having said that, to answer your question:

If I were to be making a cooked custard, I would combine the xanthan gum with the Splenda, mixing it thoroughly. This helps to lighten the xanthan gum and prevents it from clumping together. Set this aside. I would add the glycerine and the liquid lecithin to the egg yolk mixture whisking it together to completely incorporate. Then, add a bit of the heated cream to the egg yolk mixture, then add the egg yolk mixture to remaining heated cream. This is so that you don't end up with scrambled eggs!

It is important to make sure your custard is cold before making the ice cream. You didn't mention if you were doing this. ? It's a good idea to refrigerate over nite. The freezing time is dependent on how cold your custard is. It can take up to 30 minutes.

At the end of the ice cream maker's cycle, your ice cream will probably be much like a soft-serve ice cream in the centre, with more frozen ice cream around the inside of the bowl. I usually blend these together, and freeze. The result is more like hard ice cream. If you prefer the soft serve style, then you would have to let it sit out on the counter for about 20 minutes or so when you remove from the freezer.

Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions!

Auntie

Proud member of the SHRINKING VIOLETS
[/color]

[color=red]At the Canada Challenge thread every day![/color]
Old 09-23-2003, 03:25 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Annie. I'll try to explain in a little more detail what is happening to me.

I let my ice cream mixture cool completely (4-10hrs depending on my availability) before putting it in the maker. When I make a custard with the Xantham gum/lecithin/glicerine it turns out like pudding BEFORE I even put it in the ice cream maker. Actually, its a pudding consistency and thickness after I'm done cooking it. I let it cool completely in the fridge. It never turns into ice cream, just cold pudding.

When I don't put those things in, it turns out perfectly. But, as I said before, it hardens up in the freezer. I've left it on the counter for up to 30 mins, and it never goes back to the soft-serve consistency. In fact, after about 20-30 mins. it breaks off in large, dry chunks. The edges are melted around the chunks. It still tastes fine, but I would like it to be spoonable.

Thanks for all your help. I'm still experimenting. I made a custard last night. I think I'm going to try adding glicerine and lecithin at the end when its almost ice cream.

Old 09-24-2003, 12:18 AM   #36

Hi Debbi - Well, the only things I can think of:

You may be cooking your custard too long.

You could be adding too much of the good stuff. Maybe try cutting the Xanthan gum in half first, then the Glycerine, then the Lecithin.

So, I have a couple of questions:

Are you using liquid lecithin, or the granules?

Which recipe are you using?

What type of Ice Cream maker are you using?
Old 09-24-2003, 04:17 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Thats a good thought about cooking it too long. Although, I don't know why it would work when I don't add the other ingreds. I'll try cutting them down and see how that works.

In answer to your questions:

I am using liquid lecithin, I have a Cuisinart and the recipe I've used is your basic vanilla and the chocolate, chocolate chip recipe (without the chocolate chips).
Old 10-05-2003, 12:48 PM   #38
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tshores
If you use maltitol crystals or syrup for the sweetener, it does not get rock hard. You can just substitute the maltitol for the sugar in any ice cream recipe--and use H&H and heavy cream for the milk called for.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:40 PM   #39

The latest from LowCarbMan

QUOTE]Originally posted by locarbman
For Linda... ;-)

May as well add this recipe... ;-)

PUMPKIN PIE ICE CREAM:
2c heavy cream (13.2 carbs)
1/2c Sugar Free Vanilla Syrup (0 carbs)
3T lecithin (1.5 carbs) [or 3 egg yokes for a custard mix]
1/8t salt (0 carbs)
2c Sweetener (Liquid Stevia = 0 carbs)
1/4t Xanthan Gum (0 carbs)
3T vegetable glycerine (0 carbs)
1T Pumpkin Pie Spice (3 carbs)
1c Pumpkin (Libby's, 8 carbs)

Total 25.7 carbs / 4 cups ice cream.

Blend ingredients together in a 4 cup measuring cup with a hand blender, freeze…about 3 carbs per half cup serving…
[/QUOTE]
Old 11-24-2003, 03:55 AM   #40

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream 1

Recipe By :Auntie
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
8 c Low Carb Vanilla Ice Cream -- softened
19 ozs pumpkin puree
1 tsp cinnamon -- ground
1 tsp nutmeg -- grated
1/2 tsp ginger -- ground
1/2 tsp allspice -- ground
1/4 tsp cardamom -- ground
1/4 tsp cloves -- ground

Pour mixture into prepared springform pan. Freeze for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with pecans, and freeze until firm. Let stand at room temperature for 10 - 15 minutes before slicing with a hot knife.

Description:
"Yummy dessert for Thanksgiving!"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 13 Calories; trace Fat (9.9% calories from fat); trace Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 2mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fat.

Note: Does not include Carb count for Vanilla Ice Cream!

Makes 16 very generous servings.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:20 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GlassLady
Stats: 228/208/ ????
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Oct 2003
I'm having a problem with a new ice cream maker . This is the first time I have even touched one ! It's a Rival Model -- "no ice or rock salt needed -- just freeze the bottom container" ... my first try -- the ice cream around the edges hardened like a brick and the middle was just mushy. Now from reading the replies -- was my original mixture not cold enough ? (There was so much info given --- my brain is spinning!) LOL
My recipe was simple - Cream,half & half ,davinci syrup and vanilla extract . I was so disappointed ........
Old 12-23-2003, 12:22 PM   #42

It could be that it was not cold enougoh. It could also be that there is not enough "body" to the "custard". Your ingredients are all pretty liquid, so it may be forming ice crystals too quickly! Try adding some glycerine, if you can get some, or Xanthan gum (not too much!). Also, because there are no eggs, I don't think it will have the creamy texture you're looking for.

With my Cuisinart, the ice cream always firms around the edges first. Perhaps you could stop the maker, scrape the sides and mix into the middle, and go again? Sorry I don't know what else to suggest!

Old 12-23-2003, 01:54 PM   #43
skybluecanoe

Gallery: skybluecanoe
Wow Auntie3! Thanks for the great recipes!

I was wondering what made ice cream so good. I have really missed it, and am a little weary of omelets and cheese! Now I see I need Xanthan Gum, Lecithin and Glycerine. OK...now if I can figure out what it is that makes the world go 'round, I think I'll make it.

Old 12-31-2003, 10:21 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SassyC
Stats: 265/257/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 27, 2010
Has anyone ever tried to make ice cream with the carb countdown milk?
Old 12-31-2003, 01:26 PM   #45
skybluecanoe

Gallery: skybluecanoe
Chocolate Countdown Yumm

No, but Chocolate Countdown partly frozen, blended and partly refrozen again reminds me of a Wendy's Frosty. I drink Chocolate Countdown hot or cold at bedtime with a Russel Stover Pecan Delight or a Carborite Chocolate Coconut Bar. Generally, I can stand anything all day long, but feel like I need to binge before I go to sleep.

Last edited by skybluecanoe; 12-31-2003 at 01:28 PM..

Old 04-28-2004, 08:30 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SassySean
Hold this sticky....

My icecream maker is coming--it is gonna make 1 gallon at a time
Old 05-28-2004, 01:48 PM   #47
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: binki
Stats: 190/160/140
WOE: just low carb
Start Date: November 2003
Just got mine today; the bowl's in the freezer and I'm getting all set for tomorrow's fun and festivities.

A few questions:

1. does using Erythritol help with the consistency issues from not using sugar? I was thinking maybe 1/4 cup of E and 1/2 cup of Splenda or perhaps DaVinci.

2. Has anyone tried adding a little vodka to keep it from freezing as hard?

3. Does freezing yogurt have the same consistency issues as the ice creams do?

4. Is there any difference, hardness-wise, between the custard style and the eggless style?
Old 05-31-2004, 04:16 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally posted by binki
Just got mine today; the bowl's in the freezer and I'm getting all set for tomorrow's fun and festivities.

A few questions:

1. does using Erythritol help with the consistency issues from not using sugar? I was thinking maybe 1/4 cup of E and 1/2 cup of Splenda or perhaps DaVinci. [color=purple] Sorry I can't help you out here. I haven't tried Erythritol, however, I believe it would be excellent in ice cream. I think the consistency issues are more to do with the ice crystallizing more than anything, and this is where the Xanthan Gum and Lecithin really help with the creaminess. [/color]

2. Has anyone tried adding a little vodka to keep it from freezing as hard? [color=purple]I tried using Vodka when I first got my machine. I didn't notice that it helped - and I didn't like how it tasted. It seemed to separate the cream rather than helping make it smoother.[/color]

3. Does freezing yogurt have the same consistency issues as the ice creams do? [color=purple]Yogurt freezes different from ice cream, although the recipes have cream in them. I think the ice crystals are larger, so it tends to separate a bit. It isn't as creamy as the ice cream, but it is definitely as good, in its own way. I really like the Peanut Butter version, since the p/b adds some additional creaminess and richness.[/color]

4. Is there any difference, hardness-wise, between the custard style and the eggless style? [color=purple]I didn't care for the eggless version, but of course individual tastes vary. Since the egg yolks act as an emulsifier, the eggless version seemed less dense and less creamy to me. Others may have differing opinions! [/color]
Old 06-01-2004, 06:58 AM   #49
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Well, I can report that with 1/2 cup of erythritol and 1/4 cup of Splenda as the sweeteners it turned out fairly dry and hard. There's also a gritty crunchiness to it, probably from the E, but honestly, I kind of like it. It reminds me of the sugary crunch when I used to sprinkle Quik or hot chocolate mix over my ice cream.

I used a few sprinkles of xanthan gum, too, but probably not enough.

Don't get me wrong, it's delicious...just not scoopable right out of the freezer.

I was thinking of adding some pudding mix next time. Has anybody invented that wheel already?
Old 06-01-2004, 02:10 PM   #50

My first batch of ice cream included chocolate pudding mix - and it tasted really good! However, I have tended to stay away from using it because of the cornstarch in the mix. I found that it made the mixture kind of gooey and stringy. I don't know how else to describe it.

Continue to experiment, though - that's how the best recipes get developed!

Sorry your Erythritol effort wasn't as wonderful as you had hoped. I know that when I've used Maltitol, I found the texture to be really creamy - had to cut back on the glycerine.

I still find that like any premium ice cream, it is best to leave the ice cream sit out for about 20 minutes before scooping.

HTH

Old 06-01-2004, 09:32 PM   #51
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Ah. The word Maltitol usually causes me to hiss and make finger crosses as I back away from it, but I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet.

I was thinking Diabetisweet might have the right mix, if I use that AND erythritol AND Splenda, maybe 1/4 cup of each, maybe that'll do the trick without using enough Maltitol to remember why its name starts with MAL....

Letting it sit for 20 minutes would be ideal. I've got to get in the habit of pulling the ice cream out when we start eating dinner. I gave a pint container 30 seconds in the microwave and that definitely did help, but the places where the microwaves didn't hit were still fluffy, dry, and hard. (mind you, I have the Worst Microwave in the World; it's so old it doesn't have a turntable, and it takes over 3 minutes to make a mock Danish, where my brother's new one took like 30 seconds!)

I will experiment further, though probably not with pudding mix...gooey and stringy don't sound too appetizing.

One more data point: I used 2 teaspoons of homemade vanilla extract, which is pretty much straight rum. This didn't help with the texture, and left a disturbing rummy aftertaste in the mouth. Just so ya know.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:29 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mibashful
Stats: as of know it is 195
WOE: im following the lowcarb and/low cal way of eating
Start Date: 4 days ago
icecream

i think i am going to have some blue bunnhocolatei ce cream with 3 net carbs bye
Old 10-16-2004, 05:11 PM   #53
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
This thread has been copied to the amazing post bulletin board.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:01 AM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Good info here.