Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2006, 05:42 PM   #211
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Ray
Who is Chef Greg? I see his name referenced in many of the recipes
Also known as Gregory Pryor, author of [COLOR=Navy]A Complete Low Carb Lifestyle, An Executive Chef's Low Carb Lifestyle Culinary Guide[/COLOR] (which is linked from the Carbquik website, I believe).

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2006, 09:46 AM   #212
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hirezmary
Stats: 195/160/145
WOE: Semi-Atkins
Start Date: January 2005
Anyone have his cookbook? If so, how do you like it?
Old 04-29-2006, 02:54 PM   #213
Typos, Typos, As Far As The Eye Can See...

Carbquick Pumpkin Pie

Carbquik Pumpkin Pie

1 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
1/2 cup Carbquick
1/2 cup Splenda
1 cup Carb Countdown Milk
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, softened
1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
Whipped topping, if desired
Directions:

Heat oven to 350 F. Grease 9-inch pie plate. Stir all ingredients except whipped topping until blended. Pour into pie plate. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool 30 minutes. Refrigerate about 3 hours or until chilled. Store covered in refrigerator.

**Serve with whipped topping. Sprinkle Whipped Topping w/additional Pumpkin Pie Spice when serving.

This recipe for Impossibly Easy Pumpkin Pie serves/makes 6.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:54 AM   #214
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: patnaude12
Stats: 151/145/128
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2003
Hi Y'all,

Thank you so very much for all of your wonderful recipes, I have copied most of them to my computer library.

Carol
Old 06-05-2006, 07:49 PM   #215
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Location: MANHATTAN NYC - click on ''MAMZELLE" directly below for more photos.
Gallery: MAMZELLE
Stats: LIFETIME MANTENANCE
WOE: ATKINS "ORIGINAL" DIET - why tamper with success!!
Start Date: as Patient when the Maestro's FIRST book came out
Hi everyone. Haven't read the thread yet, want to get this posted first, but are there any diabetics who are using the Carbquick. I have a big order for Netrition that I'm putting through probably tomorrow, including the 5 lb. bag of Carbquik this time, and can't decide what to get for flour/thickener of soups and foods, and if it's better or just AS good as Thickenthin... haven't tried thickenthin at all yet, only Carbquik, but T&T is far less economical......

I bought my first box and it's almost empty, lasting a LONG time because I'm not a 'baker' but do mix some into my eggs so they taste a little like pancakes with the DaVinci pancake syrup but it's mostly eggs, and I also do a lot of chicken Piccata with a thin coating which is out of this world......

I didn't pay too much attention to my blood readings after the carbquick [and use it so seldom] because the day in it's entirety hadn't noticeably spiked me, so I have to assume it's ok and I hadn't really used that much of it, but I'm wondering if anyone's used guar gum [more for baking] and the Xan thing [more for foods.... forgot the spelling lol] and if it's a better thickener than carbquik...... also if thickenthin is better than carbquik for light breading and thickening of soups and sauces or are carbquik and thickenthin the same? I'm also hypertensive, with possible thyroid problems [high TPO antibody count]. Anyone have similar ailments and have experience with any or all of these thickeners / frying coatings and have HOME tested their sugar with them? Thanks. [I posted this on another Carbquik board too, in case you think you're seeing double lol].

Last edited by MAMZELLE; 06-05-2006 at 08:06 PM..
Old 06-05-2006, 08:31 PM   #216
Major LCF Poster!

Instead of double posting, I'm going to suggest you just see my reply in the Carbquik Baking Flour thread...

Ta!
Old 06-05-2006, 09:46 PM   #217
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Yes, I did see it first before getting the email alert to also come here, and my response is there, to it. lol Thanks!
Old 06-05-2006, 09:59 PM   #218
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

How about a stuffing recipe other than Cauliflower or Pork Rinds [I've tried the rinds and was disappointed .....I have 4 giant cases of 48 in each carton from a place I have it shipped from], and the cauliflower I eat often but doesn't quite make it as stuffing even with all the stuffing ingredients that I OFTEN eat as a replacement for stuffing AND potatoes]. Been to the recipe pages here but I just can't get a replacement that has the essence / FLAVOR of BREAD stuffing.... I mean the FLAVOR, not texture. Texture is easy, but the flavor of real stuffing BREAD is impossible! I don't want to use Carbquik for that because it would require too much of it and defeat the purpose and I wouldn't be able to keep my hands off it, it would be almost REAL stuffing with all that flour. My breaking down and eating stuffing last thanksgiving for the first time since Diabetic was my ruination because it was the first time I had after doing without it for a couple of years, and believe it or not, my sugar has never been the same SINCE..... it's really a phenomanon how it threw me all of and my numbers haven't been the same. I'm not a bread person, and can do without it very easily, but stuffing with chicken, turkey, etc. is a whole other story. :-(
Old 06-06-2006, 07:56 AM   #219
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nana Lee/MA
WOE: Gastric by-pass surgery
Start Date: Nov 20 2009
I don't have that problem with stuffing b/c I make a meat stuffing with very little bread. I use only 1 box of flavored croutons per batch.
I'm not diabetic but I am hypoglycemic, so carbs like too much bread really floor me.
Have you ever tried a meat stuffing?
Lee
Old 06-06-2006, 09:42 AM   #220
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

If I used a BOX OF CROUTONS I'd be dead, as a diabetic. lol.... you're very lucky you can get away with that and if I COULD use anything like that I wouldn't have a problem about making stuffing, or even be here talking about it. lol Meat stuffing is defeating the whole purpose and is a full meal by itself. I make many stews, ratatouilles, etc. but that's not stuffing with fowl..... those are just 'dishes' within themselves, not a side dish of stuffing, but a meal and having nothing to do with stuffing and don't need the meat if eating chicken or turkey with it, the 'meat' part is already there in the stuffing. Also, diabetics can't have TOO much protein either, it has to be balanced or the glucose goes up also so meat stuffing AND chicken or turkey all together is not healthy for us, it's protein overload. And if not using too much meat, then there is no bulk, when not being able to use bread products I've found substitutions for everything else [having been low carb and Atkins based all my life] but nothing ever satisfying as stuffing. There doesn't seem to be any replacement for that bread flavor which makes it so delicious. :-( Anything else [rinds, cauliflower, etc] just doesn't really taste like stuffing, as cauliflower DOES taste like potatoes when mashed with butter and seasonings and is delicious on it's own but not stuffing [I always have a pre-made batch in my fridge, as I do now from steaming 2 cauliflowers at least once a week and mashing it all into something fantastic]. But i don't mash it TOO much because I like foods chunky, not smooth. I like to 'chew' LOL Always used to love stuffing bulky, crispy, and with a crust also. It's just a real problem and worse on Thanksgiving, and nobody has ever really had a solution for something that TASTES like BREAD. :-( [PS..... i only cook for MYSELF so I'd be eating all the croutons LOL..... but i'm SURE it's delicious, just not possible for me without meds, which I'm trying to maintain. thanks!]
Old 06-15-2006, 11:09 AM   #221
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vonnygirl
Stats: 237.5/181.5/165
WOE: OWL
Start Date: 6/06 with a couple of pauses......
I am not a diabetic(yet), but whenever I eat CQ, I seem to lose the next day!
maybe the fiber? Also, my sticks, if you go by that, show no change in ketosis 2hrs after and the next morning.

Guys!!! I just made an easy drop danish recipe I tweaked, oh my goodness, it was good! Even my teen boys and thier friends loved it and wolfed it down! Course, they eat so fast they probably don't taste anything anyway! I took a picture of it too, they were so pretty, when my DH gets home I'll have him teach me how to post it for you guys if your interested....?

Total of 53 lbs lost!!
"I'm your huckleberry"-Doc Holliday.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:17 AM   #222
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Please post your pics and your recipe, Yvonne! We are ALWAYS looking for new goodies!

Char
Old 06-15-2006, 08:22 PM   #223
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shawneesioux
Stats: 170/128 Maintaining since Aug. 2001. Young 62 Y.O
WOE: just Low Carb my own style
Start Date: 01/30/01
Oh yeah, we ARE interested, Yvonne !

Also love "show & tell" pics too

Shawnee
Old 06-18-2006, 10:22 PM   #224
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vonnygirl
Stats: 237.5/181.5/165
WOE: OWL
Start Date: 6/06 with a couple of pauses......
drop danish with picture!!!

My honey helped me....hope this worked:

My version easy drop danish

1/3 c butter flavor crisco
1/2 t baking powder
2 c carbquick
3/4 c yogurt (could use cream)
2 T vanilla SF Davinci
Mix butter, and CQ until crumbly. Stir in yogurt and Davinci's, beat about 15 strokes. Drop be rounded tablespoons 2" apart on greased cookie sheet.
Make a shallow well in center of each with thumb or back of spoon. Fill well with 1t SF jam or persrves(mine was fifty fifty strawberry).
Bake until golden brown 10-15 min. makes 12. I also added the "cream cheese filling after I took it out of the oven, it really makes it taste like one of those cream cheese danish things.
"cream cheese filling":
1/3 cup drained yougurt
2-3 T Davincis syrup
1t white chocolate sf pudding mix
blend well, and drop a rounded teaspoon on each danish.
Hope you enjoy!
Old 06-19-2006, 05:28 AM   #225
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kcduffer
Stats: 168/152/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sept. 2002
Wow, those look good. Thanks for sharing. I don't bake much in the summer, but I think I'll make an exception for these. Also, I have a lot of sugar free jams and jellys that I don't use much of, so this will be great to use some of the different flavors that I've picked up.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:22 PM   #226
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: abercrombie3f
Stats: 192, currently 150ish
WOE: moderate/healthy carbs
Start Date: September 2005
Less than 3 minutes - Carbquik Cinnamon Biscuit

New experiment that turned out so goooood!

1/4 c. Carbquik
1/8 tsp. Baking Powder
2 T. Z-Trim
Couple Shakes of Cinnamon
1 pkt. Splenda

Mix all together and shape into a biscuit. Microwave for 1:30 - in a bowl or dish. (I used a pyrex custard dish) You could ice these with anything I suppose but I just sliced it open and ate it with a little butter spray!

YUMMY!

Your counts will vary depending on how you count CQ. My counts:
1 biscuit: 80 cals. / 6 g fat / 18 carb / 15 fiber / 5 protein ecc = 3

These sound GREAT!

[COLOR="DarkOrange"][COLOR="Blue"]Goals to work on:[/COLOR]
  • Eat clean (TRY to have 1 free meal a week)
  • Maintain workout schedule
  • Take things one day at a time[/COLOR]

Old 01-14-2007, 12:31 AM   #227
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kshuller58
"Carb Countdown milk (Hood's). I'm not sure they aren't going out of business though Cause it's disappearded from my store."
NOPE, it has changed names to Calorie Countdown. Same stuff inside though. Low carb is politically incorrect. Walmart carries it but not whole milk just the lower fat versions and chocolate. Hope this helps.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:37 AM   #228
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kshuller58
Splenda does not want their liquid version available for purchase by individual consumers.Walmart now sells a generic version of Splenda. Seems their patent did not last long.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:21 PM   #229
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

IF Spenda sees that people are buying OTHER liquids [because that maltodextrin and dextrose in their powder packets is SO unhealthy and raises sugar levels] watch how fast they'll MAKE their liquid and tablet versions ''available'' to consumers. They have to accommodate customer demand..... we don't have to cater to THEM .....or ANY manufacturer! They're here to serve US if they want our money.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:31 PM   #230
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Apparently, they DON'T - I've been bugging them for liquid Splenda for years now, as have others. They do sell the tablets (like the old saccharin tablets) in Europe, my stepdaughter who lives there sends them to me when I need them.

I'm not sure WHY they don't want to market liquid and/or tablets in the States, maybe it's an FDA thing? When I first started WW back 6 years ago, I bought the tablets from Netrition, then McNeil stopped marketing them here. Tom - any inside scoop on this?
Old 01-14-2007, 02:34 PM   #231
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I just don't use splenda at all. I use saccharin tablets and sweet & low liquid [also saccharin] and even desolve a batch of the saccharin in water in an empty Tobasco bottle to make my own liquid. I still have a sealed 2000 packet box of splenda unopened for a couple of years sitting here after I heard about that malto. and dextrose being such harmful fillers [Dr. Bernstein's book]. I'd sell them on Ebay but haven't got a 'seller's' account lol... i only buy. So they'll sit and sit
Old 01-18-2007, 05:35 PM   #232
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ThisDAR
Carbalose Pasta?

I know this was mentioned a long time ago, but has anyone had any luck making pasta with Carbalose flour or Carbquik? I haven't been able to find any recipes for it.

After many years of wishing, my husband surprised me with a shiny red KitchenAid mixer for Christmas and I bought the pasta maker plates for it.

Since I'm a diabetic, I can't use regular flour to make pasta and am hoping to make my own low carb pasta so I'm not stuck with the yucky soy stuff. (And please don't get me started on Dreamfields pasta; it tastes real because it IS real! And it has a real impact on my blood sugar.)

Any pointers for Carbalose or Carbquik pasta? Has anyone tried it?

-DAR
Old 01-19-2007, 08:27 AM   #233
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Sarmay
Stats: 299/261.8/150
WOE: WW Flex WI-Sunday
Start Date: March 2008
I haven't tried it, but LindaSue has a noodle recipe on her website: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/homemade_egg_noodles.html

She didn't give it a very good review, though. She said they were too chewy ... I don't know if it's possible, but maybe making them thinner would help. Good luck! If I had a pasta machine, I'd try it. Though, I'm not really a pasta person.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:36 PM   #234
Major LCF Poster!

I KNOW CarolynF's recipes for pasta or noodles or some such were bumped here somewhere recently, but I can't for the life of me find the thread.

So I dipped into my "archive" and dug 'em up.

But to avoid threadjacking, I'm going to start a new Pasta/Noodle thread "out there" on the main active LowCarb Recipe Help & Suggestions forum, not here in the kind of buried sticky Recipe Forum Sticky Threads, or find a thread about pasta that's current...right now. Makes a much easier search, don't you think? Maybe eventually, it will end up with a separate Recipe thread instead of being buried in here in the awfully long Carbquik thread.

See you there.

Last edited by theislandgirl; 01-19-2007 at 07:41 PM..
Old 01-28-2007, 11:20 PM   #235
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ThisDAR
Thank you both for your help!

-DAR
Old 09-18-2007, 03:29 PM   #236
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Davian
Stats: 245 / 142 now - rather 135
WOE: Maintenance plus.....
Start Date: 02/24/04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deannie View Post
Just adding in my 2 cents.

Carbquick Cinnamon Bubble Bread, YUMM!
I was looking through all the bisquick recipes yesterday for new ideas and found one that I thought dh might like so I tweaked it and made it for him today.

He said it's wonderful and the smell was driving him crazy. After he had a slice he said to "put it away, quick, or he'd eat the whole thing". I guess that means it's a keeper here.

This is my tweaked recipe:

Carbquick Cinnamon Bubble Loaf

2 Tbsp. Granulated Splenda
1 ½ tsp. Ground cinnamon

2 c. Carbquick
1 c. soy protein isolate
½ c. almond flour
½ tsp. Baking powder

3 Tbsp. Butter, softened

1/4 c. plus 1 Tbsp. Heavy cream
2 Tbsp. Water
3Tbsp. sf brown sugar syrup
liquid splenda to equal 1/4 c. granulated sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 large egg
1/2 c. vegetable glycerine

2 Tbsp. Butter, melted

Heat oven to 350*F. Grease bottom and sides of loaf pan with shortening. Mix 2 Tbsp. Granulated Splenda with the cinnamon in a small bowl; set aside.
Stir dry ingredients together in bowl. Stir liquid ingredients together in a small bowl. Combine the liquid ingredients and softened butter with the dry ingredients in the bowl until soft dough forms. Shape dough into 1 inch balls; roll balls in cinnamon sugar. Place dough randomly in loaf pan. Sprinkle with any remaining cinnamon sugar; drizzle 2 Tbsp. Melted butter over dough balls.
Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan to wire rack.

The recipe called for a standard bread pan but I used a tea bread pan. 12x4 inch size. It makes it easier for me to cut equal portions. By the way we got 12 slices from this loaf.

Ok, I gave in and ate a slice too! Yumm, not overly sweet but very cinnamon-y and just an inital taste of salt that wasn't very strong. I'm really sensitive to salty foods.

Haven't been to this thread in a long time. Does anyone know what the "A" in front is supposed to be? Can you use vegetable oil in place of vegetable glycerin? Baking time for a 9 x 4 loaf pan instead? And amount of Brown Diabetisweet in place of the sugar free syrup? Good heavens I need it really done over I guess. I'm intrigued by the balls of dough part. Perhaps someone has their own recipe that uses this technique.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:02 PM   #237
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I believe it is just code that doesn't translate to text when not using the program that made it. There is a symbol to make 1/4 or 1/2 to make it look like fractions instead of just spread out text. Just ignore it.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:42 PM   #238
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian View Post
...Can you use vegetable oil in place of vegetable glycerin? Baking time for a 9 x 4 loaf pan instead? And amount of Brown Diabetisweet in place of the sugar free syrup? Good heavens I need it really done over I guess. I'm intrigued by the balls of dough part. Perhaps someone has their own recipe that uses this technique.
Glycerine is very sweet, you'll need to increase the sweeteners to compensate (and add equivalent moisture or oil)...you'll have to go by feel on this one but consider trying replacing the volume of glycerine with half veg oil and half liquid of choice. Ditto on the SF Syrup, you'll need to make sure there's enough moisture if you change out the Syrup for a granular sweetener (and SF Syrup is a bit sweeter than sugar, so taste).

It's already in a loaf pan.

Have fun, somebody's got to do it!

Last edited by theislandgirl; 09-18-2007 at 07:43 PM..
Old 09-19-2007, 05:37 AM   #239
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Davian
Stats: 245 / 142 now - rather 135
WOE: Maintenance plus.....
Start Date: 02/24/04
Thanks so much for the help. This is a tough one.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:26 AM   #240
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sassay
Stats: 255/172/197
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 3/05
Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting - HELP!

This recipe calls for Kahlua syrup and I don't have any. Can I use vanilla syrup instead. Has anyone tried this? Sue