Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2005, 10:46 AM   #151
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: bybs54
Stats: 58 pounds GONE!
WOE: Low Carb/Calorie Aware
Start Date: 1-27-03 GOAL 12-03! Still Maintaining!! :)
Just wanted to update this file....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aediekins
From the Tova Rep...
(Its buried somewhere in the Carbquik Thread.)

Carbquik Carb counts

amount grams ounces net carbs

1 tsp......2...........0.07.....0.1

1 TBS......6..........0.21.....0.3

1/4 cup...27.5.....0.97.....1.5

1/3 cup...36........1.27......2

1/2 cup...56........1.98......3

2/3 cup...71.5......2.52.....4

3/4 cup...82.5......2.91.....4.5

1 cup......110........3.88....6.1
This information was corrected in March 2005. Carbquick has 13 carbs per cup.

Below is first an email I received directly from the Tova Company....the woman asked the President of the company while I was on the phone with them and he stated it was 13 carbs and then told her to send me the same email that they had just recently sent to another person asking the for the same information (Michelle)....

and then secondly an email from Chef Greg verifying the count of 13 carbs per cup in response to my email to him.

Just wanted everyone to have the correct information.
=======================
Dear Patti,
Thank you for taking the time to call us regarding your questions about Carbquik.
As we discussed, here is the e-mail response to the same question. I hope we have answered your questions regarding Net Carbs.

Take care

Sincerely,
Shannon Griffiths,
Tova Industries, LLC
Customer Service Mgr.
888-532-8682 x116

----- Original Message -----
Cc: 'Shannon Griffiths' ; 'yael melzer' ; 'Greg'
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 9:06 AM
Subject: RE: Carbquik is FANTASTIC! I have questions

Dear Michelle,

Thanks for your confidence and kind words.

It is true that we are tweaking with the formula of Carbquik®. We have already removed all hydrogenated oils and trans-fats from the product, and we are coming out soon with an all-natural version of the product as well.

Regarding the carb count, since we have continuously improved the product, different versions of the product may have slightly different nutritional values as displayed on the packaging.

Our current product as shipped in all pack sizes has the following net carbs:

Per 1 oz. (28.35g.) 3.3g.

Per 1 cup (110g.) 13g.

I hope this helps

Zack Melzer

Tova Industries, LLC------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 5:29 PM
To:
Subject: Carbquik is FANTASTIC! I have questions

Hi!

First, THANK YOU a thousand times for developing Carbquik, it is a WONDERFUL product and a Godsend to us low carbers!

We're puzzled over the nutrition labels of the boxes for biscuits. One label calls for 17 gm and the other 20 gm of mix.

Could you please send me a definitive nutrition breakdown (including net carbs) for 1 oz and 1 cup measures of just the mix? PLEASE! :-)

Also, we read somewhere that you were tweaking the mix's recipe to further reduce net carbs and/or calories? Are you? Did you? What were/will be the results?

Thank you for giving me your time.

Michelle VanCise-Reeder
=======================================
Chefgreg
The Low Carb Chef
Gallery: Chefgreg

Re: carb question in carbquick

Per 1 oz. (28.35g.) 3.3g.

Per 1 cup (110g.) 13g.

Quote:
bybs54 wrote on 03-14-2005 05:54 PM:
Can you give me a correct carb count on say 1 cup of carbquick?

I have looked all over this board and can't seem to find it listed anywhere....on the box it talks about biscuits....

Just need to know how many carbs are in 1 cup of this great product...

Thanks!

GOOD FRIENDS ARE LIKE STARS....YOU DON'T ALWAYS SEE THEM, BUT YOU ALWAYS KNOW THEY ARE THERE!!!!!!

I miss ya Pop...Oct. 26, 1918 - Oct. 19, 2006 & Mom...Aug. 20, 1928 - March 30, 2009. Please watch over us all.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2005, 11:33 AM   #152
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KellyMarie38
Stats: 144.8-136.8-135.8-130 & tone-5'7" tall
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 07/2001
Do you really like the Z-trim and do you use it alot? I am thinking of getting some Z-trim, Erythritol (need to know if this makes people stall) and some PolyD (although I still need to know if this makes people stall too). tia for any info

Kelly
Quote:
Originally Posted by TessieBird
New experiment that turned out so goooood!

1/4 c. Carbquik
1/8 tsp. Baking Powder
2 T. Z-Trim
Couple Shakes of Cinnamon
1 pkt. Splenda

Mix all together and shape into a biscuit. Microwave for 1:30 - in a bowl or dish. (I used a pyrex custard dish) You could ice these with anything I suppose but I just sliced it open and ate it with a little butter spray!

YUMMY!

No pics -- I ate it up too quickly!

Your counts will vary depending on how you count CQ. My counts:
1 biscuit: 80 cals. / 6 g fat / 18 carb / 15 fiber / 5 protein ecc = 3
Old 03-29-2005, 04:42 PM   #153
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: bybs54
Stats: 58 pounds GONE!
WOE: Low Carb/Calorie Aware
Start Date: 1-27-03 GOAL 12-03! Still Maintaining!! :)
If you actually do all the calculations for the calories, ounces, etc etc....it comes out to around 12.7....thus the 13.

Here's the thread that this was basically debated on... Carbquick corrected carb count.....

I guess to me when the company president and the chef who does all their recipes tells me its 13....that's the figure I am going with.

Remember the La Tiara taco shell fiasco....box said it was 1 carb Netrition had it sent out to the lab and thus they are now labeled 4 carbs.

Old 03-30-2005, 03:33 PM   #154
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Cream Cheese Pound Cake (DELICIOUS)

I just got through making this cake and it was absolutely the BEST! For those of you who use the Chef's Blend Lite Flour and Whey Low, you will love this one!! I would not use any other substitutions if you want it to turn out like mine did.

Cream Cheese Pound Cake

3 cups Carbquik
1-1/2 cups Whey Low Granulated
1/8 tsp. Sweetzfree
¾ c. butter, softened
½ cup Chef’s Blend Lite Flour
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. lemon extract
dash salt
6 eggs
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
Powdered Whey Low, if desired

1. Heat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour 12-cup bundt cake pan or 2 loaf pans, 9x5.3 inches, or tube pan.

2. Beat all ingredients except powdered sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl frequently. Beat on medium speed 4 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan. (I just dumped everything in my mixer bowl and did just what they said. It turned out great!)

3. Bake 55 minutes (I baked mine 50 min. but I think it could have stood just a few more minutes. No more than 5 though.) or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool 5 min. Turn pan upside down onto wire rack or heatproof serving plate; remove pan. Cool cake completely, about 1 hour. Sprinkle with powdered Whey Low.

This cake was absolutely DELICIOUS. Very moist and tastes just like regular pound cake. I used the recipe from the Betty Crocker’s Bisquick Cookbook but added the lemon extract, Sweetzfree, Whey Low, and Chef’s Blend Lite Flour as substitutes. It turned out EXCELLENT. I would not use any other substitutions if you want it like a real cake.

For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. (2 Chr 16:9 KJV)
Old 03-31-2005, 09:19 AM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Motts Landing
Start Date: restarted Jan 08'
I posted this recipe with it's own thread but decided it would be good to post it here as well.

Recipe: Zucchini Slice

This is sort of quiche like and makes good size serving portions and very LC. Tastes great for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. It is so fast & easy to make & very very tasty! Just wanted to share.
Julie

ZUCCHINI SLICE

14 oz. zucchini (unpeeled & coarsely grated)
1 lg. onion (finely chopped)
6-8 slices bacon (RAW & finely diced)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup CARBQUICK (original recipe used self rising flour)
1/2 cup oil (1/4 cup is fine though & what I used)
5 eggs (lightly beaten)
Salt & Pepper to taste (I went easy on the salt because CQ is a bit salty)

In lg. bowl combine zucchini, onion, bacon, cheese, CQ, oil & eggs. Pour into a sprayed baking dish (9x13). Bake at 350 about 30 - 45 minutes or until golden brown on top & center is set.
Serves 6-8 with nice size portions.

If counting CQ as 13 net carbs.... I think it would have somewhere around 3-3.5 carbs per serving based on 8 servings. Maybe someone can figure it up

I had some that was NON LC & it was nice with some whole kernel corn & bit of grated carrot added to it.

I may try adding some chopped ham or chicken, mushrooms & more savory spices next time just to make it more of a main meal type dish for a change.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:24 PM   #156
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cgarza
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2002; Jan 2005
Rosemary and Ham Scones by Rachael Ray

I saw Rachael ray make these scones on 30 MINUTE MEALS yesterday. I then make them using CARQUIK instead of biscuit mix. I didn't measure the carbquick, but the final consistency is a thick but light dough that you can easily form into big mounds. These scones were GREAT!!!!

Rosemary and Ham Scones
1 box biscuit mix (recommended: Jiffy) USE CARBQUIK, probably about 2 cups
3 tablespoons finely chopped rosemary, 4 small stems (I used less)
1/2 cup cream
A couple pinches salt
3 pieces deli-sliced glazed smoked ham, chopped, about 1/8 pound (I used cooked chopped bacon instead)
1 tablespoon orange zest (I used tangerine zest instead)
2 teaspoons sugar (I did NOT use any sugar OR artificial sweetener)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Mix together biscuit mix, rosemary, cream, salt, ham and orange zest. Pile mixture into 4 large mounds or 8 small mounds onto a nonstick cookie sheet. Sprinkle with a little sugar and bake. Bake scones for 10 to 12 minutes for large scones, 7 to 8 minutes for small scones.

EnJOY!!!

Last edited by cgarza; 04-01-2005 at 01:33 PM..
Old 04-05-2005, 12:41 PM   #157
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: nurseypoo5
Stats: 262/233/165
WOE: Low carb, Atkins, more H2O
Start Date: Restart 7/3/14
Ok i made the pecan cake ...said to cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes. After 45 minutes it looked way done , so i took it out. It was too dry!

Any suggestions? I put a pan of water on the rack below the cake...follow all directions. My baking powder expired 2 yrs ago!!! just noticed it after imade the cake...could this have been a problem?

It was kind of expensive to make, and tasted fine, but to dry...which made it not so good. Would have been 100% better with some moisture!

HELP!!!
Old 04-05-2005, 01:56 PM   #158
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Sugar Patrol
Stats: 163.2/134.6/135
WOE: Isocaloric
Start Date: 1/1/03
Did you use Polyd? Everything I've tried with Polyd has been nice and moist. I guess you could try adding more liquid or fat too if you don't have any polyd.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:07 PM   #159
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Cover it and put it in the fridge. Mine seemed more moist the next day.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:19 PM   #160
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Sugar Patrol, glad you enjoyed the pound cake. I think it is the "bomb." My cleaning lady had a piece of it today and she could not believe it was sugar free. She said it was wonderful. I think next time I try it I am going to try doing half Carbquik and half Chef's Lite and add a little more leavening to see how it does. Except I don't know how much more leavening to put in it. ??? Anyone got any suggestions. I have a regular pound cake recipe...maybe half of what it uses? I know the Carbquik has some in it.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:35 PM   #161
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Fun and Fast Tricks with CarbQuik - today, Lemon Butter!

We've been having a LOT of fun on another forum with "Bowl Muffins", an assemblage started by NancyLC, for which the "rules" are, basically: use one bowl, some carbquik and a microwave! Other ingredients can of course be added for flavouring and texture, etc. (if you want the link, I'll happily plug it in here, any Forum Rules I'm breaking if I do?).

There's a whole lot of variety, ranging from Sage and Chopped Chicken through Egg & Bacon "McBowlMuffin" but today I was playing with Lemon and wanted to share this one with y'all ... I really like it, hope you do, too!

Code:

* Exported from MasterCook *

CQ Bowl Muffin - Lemon Butter

Recipe By     : Judi IslandGirl, 'Carbers' Kitchen Counter™
Serving Size  : 4 
Preparation Time :0:10
Categories    : 00-05G,  DaVinci Gourmet SF Syrup, Muffins

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  2 1/2    tablespoons  fresh lemon juice -- 1 small lemon
  1         tablespoon  lemon zest -- same lemon
  2        tablespoons  syrup, sf DaVinci Lemon
  1              whole  large eggs, veggie-fed free-range
  75             grams   CarbQuick Bake Mix -- 3/4 Cup
     1/4      teaspoon   baking powder
  15             grams  butter -- 1 Tbsp
  1         tablespoon  syrup, sf DaVinci Lemon

Using a small to medium size microwave proof bowl ('tupperware' style works well and is very "nonstick", just pops out when warm), beat together the lemon, syrup and egg til well-blended.

Spoon in the CQ and the baking powder, then stir together til smooth and evenly blended.

Microwave for 2 minutes (1000 watts, turntable) or til firm to the touch on top.

Poke or score the top (still in the bowl and still warm) and lightly spread the butter so it melts in; tip out onto a small plate and then score the 'new' top into quarters or eighths (finger food size) and drizzle the final tablespoon of DaVinci Lemon flavour syrup.

Scarf while still warm!

Serving Ideas : breakfast, snack, dessert....would be great with BERRIES on top!

Source: "INSPIRED absolutely INSPIRED by NancyLC at Forums"
Start to Finish Time: "0:15"
                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 103 Calories; 8g Fat (53.5% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 50mg Cholesterol; 78mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2005-07-06
Whole Recipe (net 13g carb): 413 Calories; 33g Fat (53.5% calories from fat); 19g Protein; 45g Carbohydrate; 32g Dietary Fiber; 199mg holesterol; 311mg Sodium.  

Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 5 1/2 Fat; 0 Other 
Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Old 07-21-2005, 07:20 PM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NotoSugar
Carbquik Recipe: Bagels

Has anyone tried the Carbquick Bagels?

Carbquik Recipe: Bagels

Servings: 12
Net Carbs Per Serving: 4g

Ingredients:

3 cups carbquik
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 package active dry yeast(package)
2/3 cup warm potato water
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 drops yellow food coloring, optional
2 whole eggs
4 quarts boiling water

Instructions:

-Sift carbquik and salt into a mixing bowl. Dissolve yeast in 1/3 cup warm potato water, add food coloring (if using).
-Add yeast to carbquik mixture. Add oil to the remaining potato water. Stir into carbquik mixture. Add eggs and stir until dough forms a ball. Mix with dough hook at least five minutes. Place dough in oiled bowl. Cover and let rise until doubled. Punch down and turn out onto floured board. Knead again until smooth and elastic. Divide into 12 equal parts. Form each part into a strip about 6 inches long and 3/4 inch thick. Pinch ends together to form rings and let \"rest\" five minutes.
-Drop rings into water, one at a time, cooking 4 or 5 at once depending on size of pot.
-Simmer for 5 to 6 minutes from the time they rise to the surface of the water. Lift out of water with long handled slotted spoon or fork. Place on very lightly greased cookie sheet. Cool about five minutes.
-Bake in 375 degree oven for 25 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.

This recipe contributed by: Chef Gregory Pryor
Old 07-21-2005, 08:10 PM   #163
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: arrow
How do you get potato water if you don't have or eat them anymore? There is no way i'm buying spuds cooking them then throwing them away. Thats asking for trouble if you ask me.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:15 AM   #164
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
This is an old recipe that I found made with Bisquick. I changed it to make a lower carb dessert. It's very tasty and really crisp. I don't know the carb count, though.

CHERRY CRUNCH

1 ½ to 2 c. Carbquik
1/3 c. Polydextrose
2/3 c. sugar substitute (I used 1 t. Trishz’s Liquid Splenda & 1/3 c. Erythritol)
¾ t. cinnamon
1 egg
1/3 c. Crisco (green can….0 transfats)

1 can (21 oz.) Comstock (no-sugar added) cherry pie filling

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Mix all ingredients except pie filling. Grease a square pan, 9 x 9 x 2 in. Spread the pie filling over the bottom. Crumble dough over the pie filling. Bake about 30 min.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:24 PM   #165
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Just made this last night, wanted a dessert to use up some very ripe fruit I had sitting around, needing to be taken care of...and I was in the mood for baking.

It's mildly sweet (good for breakfast) and net 10g per serving (mostly the fruit I think).

Code:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Summer Cake

Recipe By     : Judi IslandGirl, 'Carbers' Kitchen Counter™
Serving Size  : 8     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : 06-10G                          Brunch & Breakfast
                Cakes, Icings & Pies            Veggie Ovo-Lacto

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  1                cup  sliced peaches
  1                cup  sliced plums
  1                cup  blueberries
  1           teaspoon   pumpkin pie spice -- or cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice to taste
  1                cup   CarbQuik
     1/4           cup   Polydextrose
  2        tablespoons   Inulin -- or more Polydextrose
  2        tablespoons   Erythritol crystals
  2        tablespoons  sweetener,  Sugar Twin White granular
  3              whole  large eggs, veggie-fed free-range
     3/4           cup  milk, low carb
  2        tablespoons  water
  2        tablespoons  butter -- room temperature

Preheat oven to 325F; panspray or butter lightly a 9" round cakepan or casserole.

Stir together fruit and  spices, turn into pan.

Stir together remaining ingredients until blended (blender works best, no lumps), pour over fruit in pan.

Bake 60 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Let cool at least 5 minutes in pan; will sink some.

Cover and refrigerate any remaining cake.

Copyright: © LowCarb FoodExperts Canada ®  www.lowcarbcanada.com
                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Per Serving: 142 Calories; 8g Fat (38.7% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 13g Dietary Fiber; 71mg Cholesterol; 95mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Serving Ideas : Warm or Cold; excellent with ice cream or whipped cream.

NOTES : 2005-08-12
- lightly sweet.
- can use any fruit (adjust nutrition info accordingly).
- can be a bit wet, either cook longer or accommodate the moisture content in the softer fruits by reducing or removing the water.

Whole Recipe: 1137 Calories; 66g Fat (38.7% calories from fat); 48g Protein; 187g Carbohydrate; 107g Dietary Fiber; 571mg Cholesterol; 758mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 4 Fruit; 10 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Last edited by theislandgirl; 08-13-2005 at 12:27 PM..
Old 10-12-2005, 12:31 PM   #166
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1BellaDonna
Stats: Highest =202 (post-pregnancy 1 of 2)/142.6, 5'8"
WOE: LC, hcg, JUDDD
OMG!!! i made the pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting that dbrown8614 posted on page 6 and they are WONDERFUL!!! i must admit i was a bit skeptical about the kahlua syrup in them but i stuck with the recipe and was very happy. they're even more delicious cold and i'm anxious to see what a night in the fridge would do to them...more flavourful?? anyway,this is a keeper for sure! thank you, jannis!!! (yes, i know i swore i wouldn't make these for a while yet! lol)

-letty

btw, i added a little bit of sweetener to the frosting bc none was listed and i assumed that it would need something. also, i baked mine for about 30 minutes...until a knife came out clean.

**anybody have any ideas on a carbcount for this recipe?
Old 10-15-2005, 07:11 PM   #167
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LaJavaBleue
I made the carbquick brownie recipe today....i must have done something wrong because they came out kind of bitter and dry.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:50 AM   #168
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hirezmary
Stats: 195/160/145
WOE: Semi-Atkins
Start Date: January 2005
You probably did the CQ brownie recipe fine. Unfortunately not all the suggested recipes turn out well. Pie crusts and biscuits come out wonderful, but not their brownies. There are however several excellent recipes using other ingredients out here on the forum.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:58 PM   #169
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ataran
WOE: Low Carb
No doubt you could find the precise directions at www.foodnetwork.com

Peggy
Old 10-27-2005, 03:29 PM   #170
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NotoSugar
Here is the original recipe from Paula Deen:

1 (1-pound) package ground sausage
3 cups baking mix (recommended: Bisquick)
4 cups grated sharp Cheddar
1/8 tablespoon pepper

Dip:
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon mustard

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with vegetable oil cooking spray.

Combine all ingredients in a large glass bowl. Mix well with your fingers. The mixture will be very crumbly. Form into 1 inch balls, squeezing the mixture so it holds together, then rolling it between the palms of your hands to form balls.

Place the balls on the baking sheet. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. To prevent sticking, move the balls with a spatula halfway through cooking.

To make the dip, combine the mayonnaise and mustard. Serve with sausage balls.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:33 PM   #171
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
I make these sausage balls, a double recipe, then keep in the freezer. I pop a few in the microwave when we are hungry and nothings ready.

Well, the idea was to have them ready for the holidays, but I will run through those, and have to make them again.

I plan on making 2 kinds, one regular, the other with Italian sausage and Italian cheeses in the bags.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:22 PM   #172
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kcduffer
Stats: 168/152/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sept. 2002
Another version of this recipe is in the 'recipe room'. It's at http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/recipe...8/cat/2/page/3 I've made this up several times and sure like it. I credit TigerSmoke with this recipe.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:40 PM   #173
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shawneesioux
Stats: 170/128 Maintaining since Aug. 2001. Young 62 Y.O
WOE: just Low Carb my own style
Start Date: 01/30/01
Phaedra

I think if I tackled Popovers using Carbquik, I'd add some Gluten to it, to help trap the steam, and puff up the popovers. Just a thought.

Shawnee
Old 11-03-2005, 06:20 PM   #174
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phaedra
Stats: 248/171/160
WOE: WW
Ok,Ok,Ok. I'll try to make the Popovers this weekend.I've become addicted to Carbquik drop biscuits. Put sausage,and eggs between two them for b'fast ans take an extra one for lunch. Made Danishs out of it and they were to die for. Used SK vanilla syrup to sweeten them and put SF Blackberry jam in the middle. They simply flew out of the kitchen. I've been using Carbquik a lot and have had no weight gain.So its on to figuring out my Holiday menus with it. Hope all of you are well and on track.Blessings,Phaedra

Dogs have owners.Cats have staff.

Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:00 AM   #175
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phaedra
Stats: 248/171/160
WOE: WW
Howdy All.
Heres the Danish recipe:

Easy Drop Danish

2 cups Carbquik
1/4 cup butter(softened)
3 Tablespoons Splenda(or SF vanilla syrup)
2/3 cup(heavy) cream
1/4 cup SF perserves,any flavor
Vanilla drizzle(see below)( I did not use this)

1. Heat oven to 450.Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray or grease with shortening
2.Stir Carbquik,butter and Splenda till crumblly.Stir in cream till dough forms,beat 15 strokes.Drop dough by rounded Tablespoons about 2" apart onto cookie sheet.Make a shallow well in center of each with the back of a spoon dipped in water:fill each with 1 teaspoon perserves.
3. Bake 10-15 min or until golden brown.Spread with Vanilla drizzle while warm.

Drizzle...
1 Tablespoon warm water
3/4 cup(powdered in food processor)Splenda
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Enjoy !
Phaedra
Old 11-05-2005, 01:10 PM   #176
Senior LCF Member

I agree with you Phaedra. I have been using Carbquick for making pies. Now I'm going crazy making pumpkin pies, apple turnovers, and lemon chiffon. Next I want to try a sour cherry if the carbs work out ok, but I am really amazed at how good the pie crusts are. Family didnt know it was LC. I just use Carbquick, butter flavored crisco and some cold water. I do have to press the crust into the pan though because I found the crust to delicate to roll out and get into the pan in one peice. But I dont care, I'm just so happy I'm eating pie and not gaining weight.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:23 PM   #177
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fultymom
Stats: 290/211/145. 5'6"
WOE: Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy
Start Date: 10/24/2013
Mary- what are you filling the pie crust with?? I remember reading the crusts only work well with fill after you bake type pies, so I'm wondering what I could fill it with. I may make indiv. tarts since I'm the only one eating them.

Cindy T
Old 11-05-2005, 01:25 PM   #178
Major LCF Poster!

How are you doing the lemon chiffon? I was thinking of trying a lemon meringue type pie, but not sure how I would thicken it.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:38 PM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Fultymom, I have made both baked and chiffon pumpkin pies. Both are excellent. It only depends on whether you like a lighter chiffon pie or a more traditional baked pie. In case of the chiffon pie, I bake the crust first, cool and fill.
In the case of the baked version, I bake the crust just a short time so it is partially cooked. Then I put the pumpkin mix in and finish baking. Often I will put foil on towards the end of cooking because carbquick tends to brown quickly.
As for the lemon merigne, same thing as chiffon pie. I just pre-bake the crust. For thickener I use thick 'n thin, though there are probably several things you could use if you dont have that, some carbquick, LC bake mix, etc. I prefer thick n thin because it doesnt seem to add any taste.
Tips on the pumpkin pies too - in place of evaporated milk, I just use heavy cream.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:00 PM   #180
Major LCF Poster!

Thank You.

I've made pumpkin many times, but never with a crust. Another idea for the Evap milk is to use Carb Countdown milk (Hood's). I'm not sure they aren't going out of business though Cause it's disappearded from my store.

Cindy T