Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2005, 03:53 PM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BettyR
WOE: maderate carbs
Start Date: 1/15/04
This makes an exceptionally good pie crust.

CARBQUIK PIE CRUST

1-1/2c. Carbquik (measured by scooping)
3T. vital wheat gluten
2 packets Splenda
Measure ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix well with a spoon.

With fork, beat in a measuring cup:
1/2c.extra light olive oil + 3T.Carb Countdown milk.
Pour all at once into dry ingredients and blend thoroughly.

Dump into plate and push into place with fingers.

To prebake: Prick crust all over with a fork and bake 400° for 15 min.

This made a very flaky crisp pie crust that we couldn't tell from the real thing.

Last edited by BettyR; 01-19-2005 at 03:56 PM..

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2005, 07:42 AM   #122
Senior LCF Member

For making a pumpkin pie, don't prebake the pie crust and lower the oven temp to 350°.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:53 AM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kcduffer
Stats: 168/152/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sept. 2002
How long do you have to bake a pumpkin pie at 350. I tried it once by mistake, and it must have been in for at least an hour and a half before I gave up and took it out and hoped it was ok. The crust was really dark after that long.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:24 AM   #124
Senior LCF Member

This is my pumpkin pie recipe, I've made this successfully with an almond flour crust for years, so I know it will work with a Carbquik crust.

Pumpkin Pie

1 unbaked 10 inch low carb pie shell of choice
1 cup sugar equivalent (I use 1 teaspoon Trish's liquid Splenda and 1/3 cup E.)
1 T. black strap molasses
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 can solid pack pumpkin
3/4 cup cream
3/4 cup water
2 eggs - separate and save the whites for later
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350°

Mix the sweetener together with the salt and spices. Add the pumpkin and the egg yolks and vanilla.

Slowly mix in the cream and water until well blended.

Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the pumpkin mixture.

Pour into the unbaked pie crust and bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted half way between the center and the edge of the pie comes out clean.

There should be a small giggle left in the middle, it will set up as it cools.

Last edited by BettyR; 01-20-2005 at 08:28 AM..
Old 01-20-2005, 12:08 PM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Hey Betty, I didn't know pumpkin pies "giggled." Hehe I think you meant jiggle. LOL I got a good chuckle out of that.

I thought with the Carbquik you had to prebake the crust no matter if you had to bake the pie or not. I had heard some people say something about the crust soaking up the filling and getting wet. Have you tried it with the pumpkin not baking it first?
Old 01-20-2005, 04:07 PM   #126
Senior LCF Member

lgpars-
I don't think pumpkin pies giggle but I sure do; that's funny.
No, I haven't tried it with an unbaked crust yet. I just assumed that since I was able to make it with an almond flour pie crust I'd be able to make it with the Carbquik pie crust. I guess that will me my next experiment.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:53 AM   #127
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: griffin
WOE: atkins/moderate
Start Date: november 04
i made the brownies from the cq box again or should i say my dh, i swear hes betty crockers offspring, anyways i had him cook less time. tried it and and he said well it looks kinda raw, wasnt loose, just a little wet looking, i decided to try it, was like a sponge with a little water in it. everyone who has made this know what i mean. they have a tendency to be a little dry, cakey sometimes. so to get to my point (sorry) i refrigerated till today and they are real fudgelike, very good, and not dry. i found refrigerating or freezing them seem to really help. and they are so much better the next day.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:01 AM   #128
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Beer batter bisquits

Have worked this out. Unfortunately to make using the whole bottle of beer it makes 13, not 12 muffin bisquits.

Here it is, and it is delish!

Beer batter bisquits
Makes a baker’s dozen!
1/2 c. butter melted
1 bottle beer (lc beer, I used Aspen Edge)
2 pk of Splenda (optional)
2 1/2 cup carbquik

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Spray muffin tin (12) plus one custard cup with Pam.

Mix gently all ingredients, and only to moisten.

Ladle into muffin tins.

Cook until lightly browned, about 17 minutes.

Old 01-28-2005, 11:06 AM   #129
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Beer batter bisquits carb count

Oh, the whole recipe is 18-20 carbs, so each muffin bisquit is about 1 1/2 carbs.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:09 AM   #130
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luvpitts
Start Date: 1/2005
I'm sorry if this is a repost....

Can Atkins Bake mix be used the same way as Carbquik? I have Atkins on hand and just wondered if I could use it with the same results until I have some money to order some Carbquik...

::crossing fingers::

Old 01-29-2005, 06:47 PM   #131
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: argo2d
Quote:
Originally posted by Luvpitts
I'm sorry if this is a repost....

Can Atkins Bake mix be used the same way as Carbquik? I have Atkins on hand and just wondered if I could use it with the same results until I have some money to order some Carbquik...

::crossing fingers::

umm ........i was always under the impression that if you were to rate all the low carb bake mixes. carbquick would be on the top and atkins would be on the bottom (From reviews). you definitely would not get the same taste quality since i think carbquick was a revolution in this respect whereas atkins was always criticized for tasting awful. all said however, i have yet to try either (also short of $$ right now for carbquick and i have never wanted to waste $$ on atkins) but i have found the carbsense bakemix to be the best i have personally worked with so far. hth!
Old 01-30-2005, 12:06 PM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deannie
WOE: LC/allergies
Start Date: restarted Oct 4, 03
Just adding in my 2 cents.

Carbquick Cinnamon Bubble Bread, YUMM!
I was looking through all the bisquick recipes yesterday for new ideas and found one that I thought dh might like so I tweaked it and made it for him today.

He said it's wonderful and the smell was driving him crazy. After he had a slice he said to "put it away, quick, or he'd eat the whole thing". I guess that means it's a keeper here.

This is my tweaked recipe:

Carbquick Cinnamon Bubble Loaf

2 Tbsp. Granulated Splenda
1 ½ tsp. Ground cinnamon

2 c. Carbquick
1 c. soy protein isolate
½ c. almond flour
½ tsp. Baking powder

3 Tbsp. Butter, softened

1/4 c. plus 1 Tbsp. Heavy cream
2 Tbsp. Water
3Tbsp. sf brown sugar syrup
liquid splenda to equal 1/4 c. granulated sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 large egg
1/2 c. vegetable glycerine

2 Tbsp. Butter, melted

Heat oven to 350*F. Grease bottom and sides of loaf pan with shortening. Mix 2 Tbsp. Granulated Splenda with the cinnamon in a small bowl; set aside.
Stir dry ingredients together in bowl. Stir liquid ingredients together in a small bowl. Combine the liquid ingredients and softened butter with the dry ingredients in the bowl until soft dough forms. Shape dough into 1 inch balls; roll balls in cinnamon sugar. Place dough randomly in loaf pan. Sprinkle with any remaining cinnamon sugar; drizzle 2 Tbsp. Melted butter over dough balls.
Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan to wire rack.

The recipe called for a standard bread pan but I used a tea bread pan. 12x4 inch size. It makes it easier for me to cut equal portions. By the way we got 12 slices from this loaf.

Ok, I gave in and ate a slice too! Yumm, not overly sweet but very cinnamon-y and just an inital taste of salt that wasn't very strong. I'm really sensitive to salty foods.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:45 PM   #133
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Here's a photo and the recipe for the Cheddar Bay Biscuits with a few tweaks:

CARBQUIK CHEDDAR BAY BISCUITS
2 cups Carbquik
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup cold butter, cut in small pieces
2 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup water

Toss Carbquik with garlic powder. Cut in cold butter with a pastry blender until it looks like coarse meal. Add cheese. Very briefly and gently stir in liquid just until dough comes together. Do not overwork dough. Drop by large mounded spoonfuls onto lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 450º 10-12 minutes until golden brown.

Makes 12 biscuits

Per Serving: 158 Calories; 15g Fat; 5g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

After my disappointment with the taste of several Carbquik recipes, I thought these were very good. I think I added enough garlic powder to mask the taste of the Carbquik. The texture reminds me quite a bit of Popeye's biscuits the way they used to make them. I've only eaten Red Lobster's Cheddar Bay Biscuits once and they weren't as good as these. I don't remember them having much flavor at all and they were quite dry. The Carbquik makes these a little salty, so if you have unsalted butter, I recommend using it for these. The salt wasn't overpowering, but they'd be better with less. Also, the recipe said it would make 10 biscuits and I easily got 12 very large ones. This recipe started out as the one found on the Carbquik box but I've tweaked it a bit with recommendations from someone here to add more butter and omit the salt. I also increased the amount of garlic powder.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:42 AM   #134
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I made those biscuits too and really liked them!

I also doubled the butter up and ditched the salt.

This last batch, I kneaded on a board floured with a bit more CQ then rolled out and cut out and baked - very very good indeed, DH really was in heaven with "regular" biscuits again!

Char
Old 02-05-2005, 09:42 AM   #135
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: binki
Stats: 190/160/140
WOE: just low carb
Start Date: November 2003
Here's a yummy little something I made up:

2T carbquik
1T water, or cream
pinch of cinnamon
pinch of Splenda
pinch of PolyD if you have it

Mix, roll into two little Munchkin-sized balls, and toss in the deep fryer at 375 for a minute or so, turning a couple of times. Dust with cinnamon and Splenda.

They come out really delicate and melt-in-your-mouth fluffy. And it's easy to make a second batch, and a third, and a fourth. This may be a good thing or a bad thing, depending.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:07 AM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Over50Mom
Stats: 160/110/120 5'0"
Start Date: October 19, 2003
This is a Bisquick recipe I adapted to use with Carbquik. The original recipe called for an 8oz. can of pineapple tidbits, drained. I substituted pineapple extract instead and it came out very nice. If you can't find pineapple extract then you could substitute any flavor you'd like. Orange or lemon extract would probably work nicely in this recipe too.

Coconut, Pineapple and Macadamia Scones

2 cups Carbquik
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 cup unsalted butter -- firm, cut into small pieces
2 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup angel type coconut (see recipe below)
1/2 cup macadamia nuts -- chopped

Sugar Substitute to equal 1/3 cup of sugar (I used liquid Splenda)
1/3 cup Carb Countdown Dairy Beverage (I used 2%)
1 large egg -- beaten
1 teaspoon pineapple extract
1 tablespoon heavy cream for basting

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a medium sized bowl, whisk the tsp. of baking powder into Carbquik. Cut butter and cream cheese into Carbquik until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in coconut and macadamia nuts.

In separate bowl mix milk, egg, sugar substitute and pineapple extract.

Add wet mixture to dry and stir until a soft dough forms (it will be sticky). Turn dough out onto surface lightly dusted with Carbquik. Gently roll dough to coat. Knead lightly 10 times.

Pat dough into 7" circle on parchment lined baking sheet. If dough is too sticky, cover it with a piece of plastic wrap and then form circle. Brush top with cream. Cut into 8 wedges, but do not separate.

Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven. Wait 5 minutes then carefully cut and separate wedges along score lines. Serve warm.

Serves 8

Nutrition Data is based on using liquid Splenda - Per Serving: 269 Calories; 25g Fat (72.9% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 13g Dietary Fiber; 54mg Cholesterol; 102mg Sodium.
Net Carbs = 5

Angel Type Coconut
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 1/2 Tbsp. boiling water
Sugar substitute to equal 2 tsps. of sugar

Place coconut in a small bowl. Pour boiling water and sweetener over it and stir until the coconut is well moistened. Place a sheet of plastic wrap over bowl and let stand for 15 minutes. (This will yield a bit more than the half cup that's needed for the recipe. The leftover coconut will keep in the refrigerator for a week or maybe two in an airtight container, but it does get sour if kept too long.)

NOTES:
This dough is pretty sticky and a bit hard to work with but I tried adding less liquid and the scones came out too dry. I took a lid from one of my round storage containers that was about 7" and traced a circle on the parchment paper to help shape the dough. These re-heat nicely in the toaster oven at 300 degrees for about 4 minutes.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:19 PM   #137
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vanessa120
Stats: 189/130 size 2-4 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb Real Food
Start Date: Low Carb Since 2001
Impossible Chicken Broccoli Bake

Long time lurker but had to buy some Carbquik and try it out.

Here is a keeper:

Impossible Chicken Broccoli Bake

13.5 oz. Cooked Chicken Breast (diced)*
10 oz. Chopped Frozen Broccoli (rinsed & drained)
4 oz. Mozzarella Cheese (I used Sargento reduced fat)
1 1/2 c. Hood Skim Milk (green carton)
3 eggs (large)
3/4 c. Carbquik (3 oz. weighed)
1 tsp black pepper

In a glass 13 x 9 baking dish sprayed with Pam, layer chicken, broccoli & cheese.

In a seperate bowl beat for 1 min. on medium speed, eggs, milk, CQ and pepper.

Pour liquid over chicken.

Bake at 400 for 45 minutes.

6 servings (using my ingredients):

9.16 g fat
9.6 g carb
7.16 g fiber
31.6 g protein

I do not count green veggies or fiber in my plan; the counts reflect this.

Enjoy

*I buy the Tyson 99% FF chicken breast from Sam's Club. I had it already cooked in the refrigerator and used up what I had.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:15 PM   #138
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
Did anyone happen to get a carb count on the raspberry coffee cake thingy?
Old 02-25-2005, 04:04 PM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Over50Mom
Stats: 160/110/120 5'0"
Start Date: October 19, 2003
I ran the Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake through MasterCook, and this is what I got. The jam for the filling is NOT included in this count since that would depend on what brand a person is using. This is also based on using Splenda Granular.

Counts figured on 8 servings.

Per Serving: 85 Calories; 7g Fat (59.4% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 14mg Cholesterol; 39mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 1 Fat.
Old 02-26-2005, 01:09 PM   #140
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wine2
Stats: 5'7 53 y.o.189/175/165 (size:14,12,10)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 12/26/11
Banana Muffins

8 oz butter, softened
4 oz cream cheese, softened
5 large eggs
1/2 c splenda
1 small package banana SF pudding mix
1 cup Carbquik
1 cup whey protein powder (I used vanilla)
1 t baking powder
2 t vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 12 muffin tins or line with muffin cups. Mix the butter, cream cheese, splenda and dry pudding mix. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Add the vanilla. Mix in the carquik, whey protein powder and baking powder and beat thoroughly on low speed. Pour into muffin pans and bake 20-25 minutes till lightly brown on top. P.S. You can make them chocolate by substituting the banana for chocolate pudding mix. I used protein powder because I have the huge can of it, but I'm sure you can substitute almond flour for it , which would be great!

Beth
Old 02-27-2005, 05:13 PM   #141
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: rowdy1
Stats: 5'5"..currently way tooooooooo much!!
WOE: carb monitoring w/yocheese
Start Date: 9/03...terminal uphill battle
Hey all...just curious to know if the debate over carb counts on Carbquick was ever settled? I just got my box the other day and was wondering if I should follow the box where it says 2 carbs per 1/3c. or what? Just not sure how to tally these up...Thanks everyone!

BTW, I made a batch of HaleysNana biscuits w/ the Hood's lc milk and they were very good as well. The buttermilk gives them a slight edge (from comparing w/my first batch) but hardly noticeable if you'd like to save a little more in the carb department.

I think I can...I think I can...I think I can.....I think i can. If the Little Engine That Could can....can I?
Old 02-28-2005, 07:46 PM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
From the Tova Rep...
(Its buried somewhere in the Carbquik Thread.)

Carbquik Carb counts

amount grams ounces net carbs

1 tsp......2...........0.07.....0.1

1 TBS......6..........0.21.....0.3

1/4 cup...27.5.....0.97.....1.5

1/3 cup...36........1.27......2

1/2 cup...56........1.98......3

2/3 cup...71.5......2.52.....4

3/4 cup...82.5......2.91.....4.5

1 cup......110........3.88....6.1

Last edited by Aediekins; 02-28-2005 at 07:53 PM..
Old 03-01-2005, 02:15 PM   #143
patjr

Gallery: patjr
Carbquik Impossible Cheeseburger Pie??

Hi all - bought my first package of Carbquik. I used to love the Low-Fat Bisquik Impossible Cheeseburger Pie recipe.... I have searched the thread for a Carbquik version... can anyone help me.... alos how much bacno should I add if I want to try a Bacon Cheeseburger version.

Thanks,
pat

Old 03-02-2005, 01:00 PM   #144
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Re: Carbquik Impossible Cheeseburger Pie??

Quote:
Originally posted by patjr
Hi all - bought my first package of Carbquik. I used to love the Low-Fat Bisquik Impossible Cheeseburger Pie recipe.... I have searched the thread for a Carbquik version... can anyone help me.... alos how much bacno should I add if I want to try a Bacon Cheeseburger version.

Thanks,
pat
Somebody said they had made this, somewhere in the Carbquik Baking Flour thread 'stickied' to the top of this Forum. You might want to search that one particularly on the keyword 'cheeseburger' only...good luck!

CarbQuick Baking Flour
Carbquik Baking Flour

Meanwhile, why not try to convert the original? My understanding is it's pretty much a straight translation...switch out the BisQuik for the CarbQuick.Here's the huge collection of 'impossible pies':
http://busycooks.about.com/library/r...imposspies.htm

ps: I'd add as much cooked crumbled bacon as I wanted...lots!
Old 03-05-2005, 02:34 PM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Fudge Brownies

1-1/2 cups butter, softened
1-1/2 cups granular Splenda
1/4 cup Erythritol
5 eggs
1-tablespoon vanilla
2 cups Carbquik
1-1/2 cups PolyD
1 tablespoon SteviaPlus
1-cup cocoa
2 cups -8ounce- sliced almonds

Preheat oven to 325°

Break eggs into a bowl and beat well adding vanilla to the eggs.

In a food processor bowl, mix Carbquik, PolyD, SteviaPlus & cocoa. Pulse until all the lumps of the Carbquik and the cocoa are broken up and mixture is smooth.

In a mixer bowl, cream softened butter, Splenda, and Erythritol until light and fluffy – 5 to 8 minutes.

Add dry ingredients and wet ingredients alternately beating well after each addition, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.

When all ingredients are added, scrape sides of bowl to make sure all the ingredients are mixed in, then beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.

Stir in nuts.

Spread in greased 9x13 pan.

Bake at 325° for 55 minutes or until top is dry and center is set. Cool completely.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:53 PM   #146
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: doglady
Stats: 269/195/170
WOE: modifided Atkins
Start Date: October 2003
hey guys , I just got my carbquik on fri and have so far been pleased with what I have made ,
I made breaded chicken fingers with it and it was good . but I would like to make a batter for batter dipped things like cheese sticks and battered mushrooms but the only one I could find was for a beer batter and Im not much on beer . Is there an alternitive ? also for tempora I would really like to make some . thank you for any help you can give .
Nancy

Last edited by doglady; 03-14-2005 at 04:55 PM..
Old 03-18-2005, 08:39 AM   #147
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PhillyTwinsMom
WOE: LowCarb & Patience
Start Date: It's a fresh start everyday...!
I found this link for "Impossible" receipes. Thought it might come in handy.

Enjoy

http://www.massrecipes.com/cats/Impossible

Sorry if this was posted before.

Philly
Old 03-18-2005, 08:42 AM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhillyTwinsMom
I found this link for "Impossible" receipes. Thought it might come in handy.

Enjoy

http://www.massrecipes.com/cats/Impossible

Sorry if this was posted before.

Philly
What a great site!! Thanks for posting.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:30 AM   #149
Major LCF Poster!

Less than 3 minutes - Carbquik Cinnamon Biscuit

New experiment that turned out so goooood!

1/4 c. Carbquik
1/8 tsp. Baking Powder
2 T. Z-Trim
Couple Shakes of Cinnamon
1 pkt. Splenda

Mix all together and shape into a biscuit. Microwave for 1:30 - in a bowl or dish. (I used a pyrex custard dish) You could ice these with anything I suppose but I just sliced it open and ate it with a little butter spray!

YUMMY!

No pics -- I ate it up too quickly!

Your counts will vary depending on how you count CQ. My counts:
1 biscuit: 80 cals. / 6 g fat / 18 carb / 15 fiber / 5 protein ecc = 3
Old 03-20-2005, 07:25 AM   #150
Major LCF Poster!

Z-Trim is a fat replacer -- so yeah butter or half butter half water, or milk or cream.

If you microwave too long they will be hard -- so be careful.

Also I made this without the cinnamon and splenda and sliced open with egg an cheese ----- just like McD's bacon, egg & cheese biscuit breakfast.