Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2004, 02:42 PM   #211
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ClikChik
Stats: 135/132/110
WOE: LC
Start Date: 9/2/2014
Quote:
Originally posted by Cap57
I have a couple of old Bisquick cookbooks. There is a recipe for Pat-In-The Pan Pie Shell in case anyone wants to try it with Carbquick.

1 cup Bisquick (Carbquick)
1/4 cup softened butter
2 Tab. boiling water
Heat oven to 450. Mix Carbquick and butter in small bowl. Add boiling water; stir vigorously until very soft dough forms. Press dough firmly with floured fingers in ungreased pie plate, bringing dough onto rim of plate. Flute if desired. Bake until light brown, 8-10 min. Cool.
There is a variation for a chocolate crust: Mix in 1/4 cup cocoa and 2 Tab. sugar, (Splenda). Increase water to 3 Tab.
If anyone tries it, let me know if it's any good.
Hey! I just tried this....! I used

1 cup CarbQuick
1/4 cup softened Butter
2 TB boiling water
[COLOR=firebrick]my additions
about 2 TB hazelnut flour (forgot to measure and started sprinkling!)
1/4 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
3 packets Splenda [/COLOR]

baked it for about 8 minutes and let it cool. THEN I added the chocolate pie recipe I found on here (forgive me for not knowing whose recipe this is...I've looked at sooooooo many!):

2 eggs
1 cup Chocolate Countdown
1/4 cup softened butter
2 TB cocoa powder
1/2 cup Splenda
1/2 cup CarbQuik
1 tsp vanilla

mixed in a processor and poured into the crust then baked at 350 for about 20 minutes. A toothpick came out clean.

OMG! Hubby is swearing his undying love to me.....! I topped with whipped creme. The crust was about 1/4" thick.
I have not done the carb count. Trying to figure out ******!

~~*Teresa*~~

Ever feel like your guardian angel went out for a smoke?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2004, 03:10 PM   #212
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
[COLOR=darkblue]
UPDATE:
The lasagne pie is delicious!
It has a slightly sweet flavor, not unpleasant at all, but more like there might
be some cooked onions in the sauce, which there aren't!
I will post a picture later, probably tomorrow, because I am working 3rd
shift tonight.
I might have to take a piece of this to work with me to have in the middle
of the night tonight.
If I do, I will be able to let you know how it re-heats!

Oops- edited to say:
I will add some red pepper flakes or cayenne to the sauce mixture next time.
[/COLOR]

Last edited by Pami; 09-26-2004 at 03:14 PM..
Old 09-27-2004, 05:58 AM   #213
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: HaleysNana
WOE: Sugar Free...one day at a time!
Start Date: 4/12/04
What am I doing wrong?

I've tried biscuits twice and they do not rise at all!! The flavor is great, but there is no way I could cut them to add butter. I even tried adding a little baking powder the second time....still flat as a pancake??
Old 09-27-2004, 08:04 AM   #214
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
I tried the turkey/chicken pot pie recipe last night. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. I may add some Splenda to the crust part, and definitely some butter. It's kinda bland. The gravy was good, but would probably be better w/ more chicken in it.

I did make the choc. cream pie - original recipe. It's very good! I love it, a bit too much. I am off to freeze the rest of if for a while. I still have portion control issues, and even though it's good and won't stall me, I am worried too much will keep me from losing.

I just ordered some more boxes. I love that Berry Cobbler (Pami's recipe). It's the best one I've tried so far. I love it warm, although it's good the next day too (if any's left). The only think I do differently is use a cup of DaVinci's instead of the water and splenda for the fruit part. Saves a ton of carbs and tastes great! Love it! I think that will be my reward next week if I can do a week of egg/meat to get the scales moving again!
Old 09-27-2004, 11:58 AM   #215

Old 09-27-2004, 12:03 PM   #216

Re: What am I doing wrong?

Quote:
Originally posted by HaleysNana

I've tried biscuits twice and they do not rise at all!! The flavor is great, but there is no way I could cut them to add butter. I even tried adding a little baking powder the second time....still flat as a pancake??
Quote:
From the Carbquik Page at Netrition

Why don't the biscuits rise?

For nice, fluffy biscuits, start by carefully measuring the ingredients. Spoon the Carbquik (don't sift it!) lightly into a dry-ingredient measuring cup, then level it off with the edge of a knife or spatula. To measure the liquid, place a liquid measuring cup on your counter, pour in the liquid, bend down and check the amount at eye level. Or put a little more muscle and time into your kneading. If you're too gentle or don't knead long enough, biscuits won't rise. And finally, don't linger when making biscuits. Letting the dough stand too long before baking can be the downfall of your biscuits.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:06 PM   #217
Big Yapper!!!!

I did all of that except knead the dough.....I'll try batch #3 doing that...keep your fingers crossed! I really really want biscuits like those in the picture! DH was laughing at the last 2 batches and offered to use them as coasters!
Old 09-27-2004, 03:40 PM   #218
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Criosa
Stats: 240/171/150
WOE: hhCG, Low Carb
Start Date: In and out since 2003
Another Carbquik Pizza recipe

I took an old Bisquick pizza recipe and used some suggestions from Chefgreg's roll recipe to create a delicious hand held pizza. My kids love it!

1 1/2 tablespoons yeast (I buy it by the bag)
3/4 c. warm water
1 tsp. sugar (I hate using this stuff)
2 1/2 c. Carbquik
1/4 tsp baking soda

Soften yeast in water and sugar, let sit for a few minutes. Add the mix and baking soda. Knead 2 minutes (I have a kitchen aid). Roll into 2 12" circles (actually I made one huge 16" pizza), using a little carbquik to keep it from sticking to the pin. You could probably pat it out into the pan, but mine has holes on the bottom, so I couldn't do that. Put on a greased pizza pan, brush with olive oil. Add pizza sauce and toppings. I let it sit out for about an hour, and it didn't rise much, so I don't know if it is necessary. Bake in 425 degree oven about 15 minutes.

note: I really don't know if you have to add sugar and baking soda - they are not in my original recipe. I'm hoping its true that the yeast consumes the sugar. Chefgreg said to use 1.5 times the yeast, so that's why I add 1 1/2 Tbsp. of it. I didn't notice a strong yeast flavor.

The dough is very easy to work with and I think it might make good bread sticks too.

*This is very very good. The kids fought over the last piece. Of course they're always up to a good fight.

Last edited by Criosa; 09-27-2004 at 03:42 PM..
Old 09-27-2004, 04:56 PM   #219
The Low Carb Chef

Gallery: Chefgreg
Re: Another Carbquik Pizza recipe

Criosa,
Honestly the Baking Soda in this recipe actually would offer nothing in this application. If you were looking for a bit more rise, increase the yeast. I am so glad this turned out for you and your right, Carbquik makes wonderful bread sticks. BTW, you actually hurt the effect of the yeast by adding it to the water with the baking soda. These really don't like each other. Next time just use the yeast and a pinch of sugar to feed the yeast.

Chef Greg

Quote:
Originally posted by Criosa
I took an old Bisquick pizza recipe and used some suggestions from Chefgreg's roll recipe to create a delicious hand held pizza. My kids love it!

1 1/2 tablespoons yeast (I buy it by the bag)
3/4 c. warm water
1 tsp. sugar (I hate using this stuff)
2 1/2 c. Carbquik
1/4 tsp baking soda

Soften yeast in water and sugar, let sit for a few minutes. Add the mix and baking soda. Knead 2 minutes (I have a kitchen aid). Roll into 2 12" circles (actually I made one huge 16" pizza), using a little carbquik to keep it from sticking to the pin. You could probably pat it out into the pan, but mine has holes on the bottom, so I couldn't do that. Put on a greased pizza pan, brush with olive oil. Add pizza sauce and toppings. I let it sit out for about an hour, and it didn't rise much, so I don't know if it is necessary. Bake in 425 degree oven about 15 minutes.

note: I really don't know if you have to add sugar and baking soda - they are not in my original recipe. I'm hoping its true that the yeast consumes the sugar. Chefgreg said to use 1.5 times the yeast, so that's why I add 1 1/2 Tbsp. of it. I didn't notice a strong yeast flavor.

The dough is very easy to work with and I think it might make good bread sticks too.

*This is very very good. The kids fought over the last piece. Of course they're always up to a good fight.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:08 PM   #220
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nashinga
Talk about your Slick, Quick and Easy

I made Taco Pizza tonite with a Carbquick crust!
I made the pizza crust on the box and prebaked it like it says to do on the website. I browned some burger and seasoned it with the low carb taco seasoning (Linda? Dotties?). Spread some pizza sauce on the crust - really thinly. Added the burger and a bunch of mexican cheese.
Then I baked it about 10-12 minutes, let it set a few. Added some lettuce and tomatoes.
My DD wouldnt eat the crust - but then nothing new or 'lowcarb' crosses her lips.
DH (a non lowcarber) said, hey the crust is pretty good!
WHAT! AM I HEARING THINGS?
DH just finished, put his plate in the sink and said
Thank you, honey, that was good!
OMG! OMG! OMG!
Be still my heart!

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Started 5/1/03
232/173.5/140 or less
Old 09-27-2004, 05:29 PM   #221
Senior LCF Member

Re: Re: Another Carbquik Pizza recipe

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chefgreg
[B]Criosa,
Honestly the Baking Soda in this recipe actually would offer nothing in this application. If you were looking for a bit more rise, increase the yeast. I am so glad this turned out for you and your right, Carbquik makes wonderful bread sticks. BTW, you actually hurt the effect of the yeast by adding it to the water with the baking soda. These really don't like each other. Next time just use the yeast and a pinch of sugar to feed the yeast.

Chefgreg,
Okay, next time I'll leave out the baking soda, and cut down on the sugar (gladly). Actually, I didn't add the baking soda to the water. I added it to the Carbquik mix. I really don't care if it rises anymore than it did, because I thought it tasted great. Do you think I needed to let it rise, or could I just bake it right away? What I mean is, I wondered if it made any difference in the outcome to let it sit for an hour before I baked it, since it didn't really rise much.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:39 PM   #222
The Low Carb Chef

No matter soda and yeast are not friends. Yes if you let it proof before you roll it out then pop in in a hot oven you will get more oven spring

Chef Greg
Old 09-27-2004, 06:03 PM   #223
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chefgreg
No matter soda and yeast are not friends. Yes if you let it proof before you roll it out then pop in in a hot oven you will get more oven spring

Chef Greg
Chefgreg,
I feel bad for bothering you about this, but you seem so willing to help, and I want to get it right. You said proof the dough before you roll it out, then pop it into a hot oven for more spring. I didn't proof the dough before I rolled it out. I let it sit after I made all the toppings on it. So would it be best to let it sit in a bowl for awhile, roll it out (no second rise), and bake it? Thank you so much for your advice!
Old 09-27-2004, 06:04 PM   #224
The Low Carb Chef

you got it let it double covered in a oiled bowl.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:49 PM   #225
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: geegee4456
Stats: 211/170/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 2004
Chef Greg, Can you use the Carbquick in the Artisan Bread recipe in the next thread instead of the Atkins mix. I hate the taste of soy.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:15 PM   #226
The Low Carb Chef

I don't see the thread you speak of. But trust this, any recipe using Atkins bake mix will be greatlly enhanced using Carbquik. Now I know this for a fact, as we have compared the two side by side, both in our test kitchens as well as Atkins.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:33 PM   #227
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: geegee4456
Stats: 211/170/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 2004
Thank you Chef Greg. Here is the recipe I was talking about. Should I just replace the Atkins Bake mix with the Carbquik. I just love Carbquik.

Artisan Flat Bread (Ciabatta/Foccacia)

Preheat oven to 350

8 oz cream cheese
4 eggs
1/2 C almond flour
1/4 C parmesan cheese
3/4 C Atkins bake mix (I use the knock off homemade fake mix instead of his - recipe to follow)
1 tsp fresh minced garlic
salt and pepper (this can get salty so watch it - 1 tsp maybe too much in the salt area)
1 tsp baking powder

Mix this in the food processor until smooth. Then add and stor by hand

1 C shredded Italian cheeses (I use preshredded from the store)

Pour out onto a jelly roll pan lined with parchment and spread from edge to edge evenly with a spatula - it is sticky and this will take some time (if you use a smaller pan it will be very thick and you can't make sandwiches with it)

Sprinkle with:

2 tsp of assorted herbs (I used basil, oregeno and garlic)

Bake until nicely browned on top (my oven is about 30 minutes, but watch it from 20 on)

Remove from oven and brush with

1 Tbl of olive oil

Pop out of pan and cool on a wire racks.

For 12 servings I get the following per serving:

Cals 192, Fat: 16, Carbs: 3, Fiber: 1, Net Carbs 2, Protein: 9
Old 09-27-2004, 08:58 PM   #228
The Low Carb Chef

Well lets look at this recipe; Ok I have revised the recipe below, in all honesty you don't need the almond flour either. I would also suggest that when you mix this do it like this. Cream the cream cheese in the mixer till fluffy, add the eggs one at a time till each is well blended in the cream cheese. Then add all the dry ingredients all at once and mix just till blended together. I would then let this rest 10-15 minutes before you begin working it into the pan.
Give this a try, but if you want to make a classical style Focaccia, give this a try

Focaccia (Italian Garlic-Cheese Bread)
1 package dry yeast
1 cup warm water
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup olive oil
2 2/3 to 3 cups Carbquik
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
Fresh or dried rosemary leaves

Dissolve yeast in water. Let stand until bubbly. Stir in sugar, salt and olive oil. Add 2 cups Carbquik and beat until elastic. Stir in 2/3 cup more Carbquik. Knead for 10 to 15 minutes. Put into a greased bowl. Turn over to coat well. Cover and let rise for 1 hour. Heat 1/4 cup oil. Add garlic and cook until soft and yellow. Set aside.

Punch dough down and knead briefly. Roll with a rolling pin and stretch to fit a greased 15 x 10-inch cookie sheet (with sides). Pierce dough with the end of a wooden spoon at 1-inch intervals. Drizzle garlic and oil all over. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and rosemary. Let rise, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 to 18 minutes.

Alternate Toppings
Rosemary: Just before baking, dimple the top of the dough and drizzle with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, sprinkle on 1 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt and a sprinkling of fresh or dried rosemary leaves

Good Luck
Chef Greg
Old 09-28-2004, 09:55 AM   #229
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mmorris
Stats: 268/128-Goal Weight Finally!! (-140 pounds gone)
WOE: Atkins All the WAY!!
Start Date: August 2002
Tweeked BEEF ENCHILADA PIE
1 lb. ground beef
2 teaspoons chopped onion dried
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
8 oz. tomato sauce
2/3 c. broken up, Restaurant Style Edge Chips
4 ounce. shredded Cheddar cheese
4 ounce cream cheese
¾ cup cream mix with ¾ cup water
3 eggs
3/4 c. carbquik

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease pie plate 10 x 1 1/2 inch. Cook and stir ground beef, onion and garlic until brown; drain Stir in chili powder, oregano, salt, pepper and sauce.. In processor; Beat milk, water, eggs and baking mix until smooth, 15 seconds in blender on high or 1 minute with hand beater Spread ½ beef mixture In pan.. Layer edge chips, cheese, meat mixure. Pour bake mix over top. Bake until knife inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes.. Serve with chopped tomato, shredded lettuce and sour cream if desired. 4 large servings 400 Cal, 5.1 net Carb

I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength Philippians 4:13
Grandmother of 8
*If you fail to plan, you plan to fail*
If it is to be, it's up to me
*a little note... I lost this all my weight without one ounce of exercise. I do now swim 3x a week*

Last edited by mmorris; 09-28-2004 at 09:57 AM..
Old 09-28-2004, 11:04 AM   #230
Big Yapper!!!!

ChefGreg....I'm going to try biscuits (3rd try tonight) and I really want to get it right so I'm not wasting my Bisquik (although I confess if they rise good this time I'm ordering another case of the stuff). The last 2 batches were as flat as could be. If I kneed the dough, can you tell me how long approximately? And would it help if I added baking soda? I measured the ingredients exactly so I know I'm not doing that part wrong. Please help....my hubbys thinks somebody is pulling my leg about these biscuits!

Carb Cycling

3/3 - 155.0 (LC)
3/4 - 154.6 (LC)
Old 09-28-2004, 11:23 AM   #231
The Low Carb Chef

Quote:
Originally posted by HaleysNana
ChefGreg....I'm going to try biscuits (3rd try tonight) and I really want to get it right so I'm not wasting my Bisquik (although I confess if they rise good this time I'm ordering another case of the stuff). The last 2 batches were as flat as could be. If I kneed the dough, can you tell me how long approximately? And would it help if I added baking soda? I measured the ingredients exactly so I know I'm not doing that part wrong. Please help....my hubbys thinks somebody is pulling my leg about these biscuits!
I really hope this helps. As you can see from many of the other threads, this truely does make "rockin biscuits"
I have included a recipe I used during the many demos I have done around the country. Now some tips.

First let me suggest that you simply use a wooden spoon and gently bring the ingredients together. Once the dough is just together, not sticky or wet, it actually will appear a little shaggy, with your hands bring the dough together and place this on a work surface. Now what I like to do now is simply pat and form the dough into a rectangle about 3/4 of an inch thick. Once you have this together use a biscuit cutter to cut out the biscuits. For that really brown top at this point you can brush the tops with melted butter. Now here is another fun little trick. once you have the dough together, divide it into 4 or 5 equal size pieces, now here it gets a touch tricky. Roll each piece out as thin as possible while still keeping the dough together. Once each piece is rolled out, stack each on top of the other, using just a sprinkle of water between each layer. Proceed to cut out the same size biscuits, what this does is create a biscuit similar to those Grands flaky layered biscuits from the pop open can. I wish you the best of luck.

BTW, you said Bisquick I hope your using Carbquik...

Carbquik Biscuits

2 cups Carbquik
2 ounces Butter, cold
1 tablespoon double acting baking powder
1 pinch salt
½ cup Buttermilk +/- as needed

Preheat oven to 450° F.
Cut the cold butter into the Carbquik with either a pasty cutter or two knives, till the mixture resembles course meal.
Add baking powder a pinch of salt and blend well.
Add the buttermilk to the dry mix.
Mix till dough forms and comes together, but do not over work the dough.
Work the dough either by hand or with a rolling pin to ¾ inch thickness. Cut 2” biscuits with either a round biscuit cutter or a drinking glass dipped in Carbquik
Bake in hot oven 8-10 minutes till biscuits are golden brown.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:27 PM   #232
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mmorris
Stats: 268/128-Goal Weight Finally!! (-140 pounds gone)
WOE: Atkins All the WAY!!
Start Date: August 2002
ChefGreg Is there any other cutting edge product for low carbing that you would recomend?
Old 09-28-2004, 01:00 PM   #233
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
I haven't tried Rosie's though I have seen them on one of the web site I order from. Chef, have you ever tried La Tiara Taco Shells. They are great too, They used to be billed as 1 carb per shell, but I guess the FDA got to them because they are now 4 per shell, but, very very food. I'll give Rosie's a shot next time I order.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:12 PM   #234
Tom
Administrator

Gallery: Tom
That wasn't the FDA that got to them. Netrition.com paid the bill to get the La Tiara taco shells tested - and they failed the high fiber claims (as expected based on the ingredients).
Old 09-28-2004, 01:38 PM   #235
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pita
Stats: Lost 40 lbs
WOE: LC
Chefgreg,
I tried the dumplings today. The broth was simmering (just barely boiling) , they stayed together for the most part while cooking but fell apart when I spooned them out of the pot and the texture when I was actually eating them was like the dumpling was not quite holding together, it was a very loose bind. The flavor was great but the texture was not right. I thought maybe the dough might be too wet but I think if it was, it was just slightly too wet. My pre-low carb dumplings were can biscuits, rolled out and cut into strips. Should I maybe make the dough drier and knead them, roll it out and cut into strips? Can you tell me the texture the dough should be before cooking. Like play-dough maybe? I'm just guessing at answers.........you're the expert and any advice would be appreciated. I'd like to shorten the learning curve on carbquik so I don't feel so much like I'm wasting it. My original opinion still stands.....Carbquik Rocks!!

Last edited by pita; 09-28-2004 at 01:39 PM..
Old 09-28-2004, 02:06 PM   #236
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Thanks, Tom, I seem to remember that there was a lot of talk about that a while back. Anyway, I'm sure glad you did test them because now I know what to use for my carb counts. Do you carry them or the Rosie's. I think Rosie's claim to have 3 carbs.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:12 PM   #237
The Low Carb Chef

Quote:
Originally posted by pita
Chefgreg,
I tried the dumplings today. The broth was simmering (just barely boiling) , they stayed together for the most part while cooking but fell apart when I spooned them out of the pot and the texture when I was actually eating them was like the dumpling was not quite holding together, it was a very loose bind. The flavor was great but the texture was not right. I thought maybe the dough might be too wet but I think if it was, it was just slightly too wet. My pre-low carb dumplings were can biscuits, rolled out and cut into strips. Should I maybe make the dough drier and knead them, roll it out and cut into strips? Can you tell me the texture the dough should be before cooking. Like play-dough maybe? I'm just guessing at answers.........you're the expert and any advice would be appreciated. I'd like to shorten the learning curve on carbquik so I don't feel so much like I'm wasting it. My original opinion still stands.....Carbquik Rocks!!
Dumplings as you pointed out seem to be one of those items that the moisture is so very relvant in the dough. As is common the ole canned biscuits have always been a great standby for this use. Lets look at those canned biscuits a minute. If you use the texture of those to compare to the Carbquik dumpling this should give you an idea of the texture you need to have before cooking. In this case I WOULD recommend kneading the dough a good bit to develope the gluten or the structure a bit more. I have found that a firm biscuit dough works very well as a dumpling dough as long as it is cooked very gently. For added structure, you could use a small portion of the liquid in the form of either cream or half and half. To truely achieve that firm chewy style dumpling you can not go wrong with really putting the elbow grease into kneading the dough, and work it till it is a firm strong dough. I sure hope this helps, I know how frustrating it is to have your mind set on a particular texture and taste. I feel confident you will have great success if you mimick the texture of your Carbquik dough to that of a canned biscuit.

Good luck
Old 09-28-2004, 05:35 PM   #238

Re: Pami....

Quick Blackberry Cobbler

1/2 cup Carb Countdown 2%
2 teaspoons oil
liquid Splenda equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
1 cup Carbquick

2 cups blackberries
liquid Splenda equivalent to 1 cup sugar
3/4 cup water

Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a 2-quart casserole and set aside.
Mix first 4 ingredients and put into prepared casserole dish.
Mix berries, remaining Splenda and water.
Pour over batter.
Bake about 45 minutes.

Per Serving (based on 8 servings): 80 Calories; 4g Fat (36.6% calories from fat);
4g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 2mg Cholesterol; 120mg Sodium.

[COLOR=indigo]
Bon Appetit!![/COLOR]
Old 09-29-2004, 01:13 AM   #239
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Mona
Stats: 380/311/175 46y.o. 5'10"
WOE: VSG 11/14/11 Moderate LC
I tried making the Country Biscuits recipe too, and mine came out like hockey puks (flat). I was also waiting for them to be "golden brown" like the recipe said and they never did. They ended up cooking for probably 5 extra minutes and they were really crumbly and almost burned on the bottom.

Here is the recipe I used, posted by Chefgreg:

Quote:
Country style baking powder biscuits
Servings: 10 biscuits

2 cups CarbQuik
2 ounces Butter, cold
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 pinch salt
1/4 cup heavy cream see option
1/4 cup water
(Or as an option use ½ cup buttermilk) add .5 carbs delete other liquids

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Cut the cold butter into the Carbquik with either a pasty cutter or two knives, till the mixture resembles course meal.
Add baking powder a pinch of salt and blend well.
Mix the heavy cream with water to equal 1/2 cup of liquid, pour into dry mix.
Mix till dough forms and comes together, but do not over work the dough. A loose sticky dough is preferred
Work to dough either by hand or with a rolling pin to ¾ inch thickness. Cut 2” biscuits with either a round biscuit cutter or a drinking glass dipped in Carbquik
Bake in hot oven 8-10 minutes till biscuits are golden brown.
I'm no crack baker by any stretch, but I'm pretty good at following recipes and I thought I did everything right. The tip that someone quoted about kneeding the dough to make biscuits rise doesn't seem applicable here, because the actual recipe says not to overwork the dough.

I spooned the Carbquik lightly into a measuring cup. I used cold butter right from the fridge. I cut it into the Carbquik with a pastry cutter to a meal consistancy. My baking powder passed the "bubble in water test" so it should still be OK. I gradually added the liquid and gently mixed with a spoon.

The only thing I didn't do was pat the dough out and then cut into biscuit shapes. I dropped 10 spoonfuls onto my baking sheet and gently patted them into circle shapes. I hardly manipulated them at all. I knew the object was to not overwork the dough, so my rationale was it should be the same either patting it down in the beginning or patting it down at the end.

Did this one deviation cause my biscuits not to rise? I honestly don't see the difference in patting the dough into a big circle and using a biscuit cutter vs. dropping and patting later.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:25 AM   #240
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eko42
Stats: 184/170/125
WOE: hHCG
Start Date: July 9, 2013
Mona,

I used the same recipe and had the same results. Also, the dough was so sticky and wet I couldn't have kneaded it if I wanted to. I just made drop biscuits and they didn't rise and were dry and crumbly. I don't know what could have gone wrong. I can follow a recipe and I am a decent baker. Everyone else raves about these but I am leery to try again as this stuff is too pricey to waste.

If anyone has any other tips or suggestions for us it would be greatly appreciated. I was so looking forward to being able to eat biscuits with my homemade soup and chili this winter.

TIA,
Erin---