Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #1171

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaCC View Post
Kevin,
Would Splenda work in place of DiabetiSweet. And can you tell me the advantages of DiabetiSweet??
Linda, I used the diabetisweet for two reasons. One reason was to get past the off taste that some people have to carbquick. A small amount of sweetner can overpower the off taste without actually sweetening the bisquits. The 2nd reason was for texture. The isomalt in the diabetisweet has a similar effect on the bisquit's texture as sugar would.

Splenda will work for the taste reason but will do nothing for the texture although some people may not even notice the difference.

As a post note I have subbed several different things for the diabetisweet when I was out including yucon syrup, aguave syrup, monin syrups, sugarfree honey, and my psuedo brown sugar.

HTH

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #1172
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: zizi
Stats: Over 84 lbs. lost in ~16 months. Goal @ 3/2011
WOE: Low Carb Eclectic
Start Date: LAST Restart Mid-March 2010
Kevin,

Would a dash of club soda (no carbs, no sugars) replace any sweeteners, be they Splenda or otherwise? I'm specifically looking at your LC biscuit recipe.

Thanks!

Z
Old 06-11-2009, 11:32 AM   #1173
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Do any of you know about how long Carbquik and Carbalose keep in the refrigerator or freezer... opened? I've had them stored in containers for about 1 1/2 to 2 years.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:53 AM   #1174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
I can't say exactly how long they would last, but I imagine if you've had them in the freezer all this time, that the flour will still be fine. I keep most of my opened flours in the freezer, due to the humidity here.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:25 AM   #1175
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Thanks, Jennifer. I'll start using the Carbquik baking something simple, like biscuits.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:21 AM   #1176
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jennifer Eloff
WOE: Atkins/Moderate Carbs
Start Date: 1999
Probably a good idea and then you can figure out if it's still good or not.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:53 PM   #1177
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BLUTTO66
Stats: 425/319/285
WOE: Modified Low Carbs
Start Date: Latest Restart -MAY 2ND 2008
very interesting....I'm saving for later for a full review. I have had the cheddar bay bisquits aand they rock.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:19 AM   #1178
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bissonnettemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
Do any of you know about how long Carbquik and Carbalose keep in the refrigerator or freezer... opened? I've had them stored in containers for about 1 1/2 to 2 years.
They both def keep longer in frig or freezer than on shelf. I go through mine rather quickly, so once opened, I keep on shelf in big plastic airtight bin. Suppose if I had another freezer/fridge combo, I'd have more room for these in there.

I agree with BLUTO, the cheddar bisquits are great, and very easy to make.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:19 AM   #1179
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 2bthin4me
Stats: 232/225/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 8, 2009
Has anyone made an old recipe that buisquik use to have, impossible pie, coconut???
That was one of my dads favorites!!! He is low carbing and would love to make one for him!!
Old 06-30-2009, 10:58 AM   #1180
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bthin4me View Post

I also wanted to add, I ordered my carbquik yesterday and can not wait to try it as cheddar buiscuts! Has anyone tried it to fry chicken?
I have done oven fried chicken with it...it was pretty good! I need to order more CQ now. I am plum out since making the half batch of the cheddar biscuits last night.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:50 AM   #1181

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bthin4me View Post
Has anyone made an old recipe that buisquik use to have, impossible pie, coconut???
That was one of my dads favorites!!! He is low carbing and would love to make one for him!!
I have never made the impossible coconut pie recipe as written using just carbquik but I have made a form of it using a LC flour mix and it turned out great. I have made some of the savory impossible pies with just carbquik and they tasted pretty much like the original.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #1182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 2bthin4me
Stats: 232/225/170
Start Date: June 8, 2009
Thank you Kevinpa, I my just give it a try, my dad would just love one that is legal for this plan!

I see you are from Pitts. We live about 45 mins to an hour from there! We sometimes go up and see Pirates games!!
Old 08-15-2009, 08:05 PM   #1183
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Carbquik biscuits with the cheddar cheese in them are awesome...and so easy to make. Honestly, I haven't made the biscuit without the cheese yet.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:35 AM   #1184
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RodneyJoe7777
Hello

Recieved my carbquik a few days ago.

Made the cheese biscuits and ate them hot by themselves and cold with peanut butter, mmm mmm good.

Made the pancakes going pretty close to the reciepe on the box (used cream ) dynomite!!!

I make the microwave cake every night. Very good.

one slightly heaped quarter cup of Carebquik.
about one teaspoon of cimimon
small tablespoon of dried peanut butter powder ( I thnk this can be skipped )
almost a quarter cup of splenda or equal
one egg
about a tablespoon of cream

I mix the dry ingredients first, then add the egg and cream and mix well.

Microwave for one minute and thirty seconds. Serve with byerlys low carb ice cream ( the best of all low carb ice creams ) Tastes like spice cake.

scale has not went up since eating a lot of this cake, biscuits and pancakes.

really unbelieveable, finally eating like as if I was off my locarb diet.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #1185
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: freeman525
Stats: (241)201.8/197.5/141
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart 12/30/13
SUBSCRIBING
Old 11-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #1186
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodneyJoe7777 View Post
Recieved my carbquik a few days ago.
really unbelieveable, finally eating like as if I was off my locarb diet.
I just got my first ever box Saturday. Oh man! I made the pancakes off the box and even though I messed up something (came out thin and had to cook forever), they were good. Then I tried another recipe (I think it's earlier on in this thread) and they were even better. Cooked and looked just like buttermilk pancakes. They were very good and would have topped the chart had I not accidentally skipped the Splenda part . I added some DaVinci's but it needed more sweetness. So, those will probably get another try tonite.

I read through this thread and another one on another board and am looking forward to trying so many things!

Old 07-31-2010, 02:46 PM   #1187
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: motsy
I modified impossible hamburger pie with a little splenda and poured over a blueberry blackberry mix to make sort of cobbler. I read on one recipe to mix equal parts butter and carbquick to make a roux- so I did that about 2 T each in a skillet, added blueberries and blackberries & cooked until a little juicy, then poured "impossible" topping over berry mix in a greased dish. I winged the amounts, but blueberries and blackberries are lower carb than most fruits, so I feel pretty good about the combo- used splenda and stevia to taste before adding eggs- very good
Old 11-12-2010, 05:26 PM   #1188
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: trish56463
hello!

I am new to the thread, and was hoping to get some info on the carb quick bake mix. not only are my husband and I diabetics, but now we have found out that two of our children are diabetics. hubbie, and kids love bread. my only question is does it really taste like mom's biscuits and home made pancakes? or does it have a pasty after taste? i understand that it is not made with soy flour so the grittiness is not present. just wanting to get a good heads up from people who use this product regularly. 11.95 is quite a steep amount to pay for "flour" that is going to sit in the cabinet and rot. any help/info you can give will be much appreciated.
Thanks for your time
trish
Old 11-14-2010, 05:59 AM   #1189
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: freeman525
Stats: (241)201.8/197.5/141
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart 12/30/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by trish56463 View Post
I am new to the thread, and was hoping to get some info on the carb quick bake mix. not only are my husband and I diabetics, but now we have found out that two of our children are diabetics. hubbie, and kids love bread. my only question is does it really taste like mom's biscuits and home made pancakes? or does it have a pasty after taste? i understand that it is not made with soy flour so the grittiness is not present. just wanting to get a good heads up from people who use this product regularly. 11.95 is quite a steep amount to pay for "flour" that is going to sit in the cabinet and rot. any help/info you can give will be much appreciated.
Thanks for your time
trish
All I can say to you is to try it. The pancake batter is fine to my taste buds. Use sour cream and stuff like that to help the biscuit taste if you don't like it.
When my husband complains that LC things don't taste just right, I think to myself, "If I didn't try to compare them to the taste of HC foods, or if I'd never had the HC version, this would probably taste pretty darn good." If you don't like the taste of foods made with it, remember you can use it to bread chicken...

Good Luck,
Janice
Old 01-13-2011, 11:06 AM   #1190
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jw51
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: Atkins for over 20 years
Start Date: April 1986
Carbquik

I haven't ready this full thread, and don't ususally post to forums, but wanted to share my experience with this product. I discovered it middle of last year, and have used it for everything imaginable. Recipes from this website, including pancakes and cookies, as well as a full array of holiday desserts. My LC Pumpkin Rolls and copycat Starbuck Cranberry Bliss bars were the favorites from the holidays.....even prefered by the non-LCers in the family.

I replace the flour / bisquick in any recipe with the same amount of Carbquick, plain and simple. If it looks too thick, I add moisture...too thin, I add a little more Carbquik. I use Splenda instead of sugar (both white and brown), and Sensato Erythritol Powdered Sugar for regular powdered sugar. I have every imaginable flavor of Da Vinci syrup, and use it freely. And I always taste the mixture... you can tell then if it's going to work or not..

I've been Atkins for over 20 years and have tried many products for LC, but I have to say this is one I hope will never go away.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:02 AM   #1191
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bowfriends
Carbquick biscuits

These are delicious!! Worth the money!
Old 03-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #1192
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: yanxfan
Stats: 208/156/130
WOE: Atkins DANDR
Start Date: 8/1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman525 View Post
SUBSCRIBING
Me too.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #1193
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: laffin
Stats: 329.8/215.8/135
Start Date: 2/7/2011
Subscribing!
Old 04-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #1194
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Conevery
Stats: 258/186/135
WOE: VSG/LC
Start Date: Feb 2010
Subscribing
Old 05-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #1195
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/174.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
need to read this whole thread
Old 05-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #1196
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mrs.fun
Absolutley!

yes, carbquik seems to be all that it's cracked up to be...lol. I have only tried a couple of the recipes...( red lobster style chedder bisquits.. oh my lord....) my family actually enjoyed them very much....felt a lot like cheating on my diet!! can't wait to try more recipes, maybe pizza tomorrow?
Old 05-12-2011, 07:58 PM   #1197
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I was concerned about the seemingly conflicting carbohydrate and fiber nutritional information on the Carbquick and carbalose flour packages. I wrote the following to Tova Industries, but never received a reply:

I have a question:
I have in my hands a bag of Carbalose flour and a box of Carbquik. According to the nutrition information on the packages, one cup (100g) of the Carbalose flour has a total of 48 grams of carbohydrates and 29 grams of fiber, resulting in 19 grams net carbs per cup.

However, the Carbquick, which is purportedly Carbalose flour with additions of oil, buttermilk powder, baking powder, egg-white powder, lecithin, salt, and flavorings, states that it has a total fiber count of 16g per 1/3 cup, making 48 grams of fiber per cup.
How can the Carbquik have more than 1 1/2 times the amount of fiber per cup as the Carbalose flour when none of the additional ingredients (which replace some of the flour) have any fiber?
Please answer, as I am diabetic and must control intakes of refined carbohydrates and fiber. Since I have bought a large amount of Carbalose flour and Carbquik, I need accurate nutrition information in order to know how to incorporate them into my food plan.
Thank you,
Old 06-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #1198
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KelliC
Stats: 160/138.6/135
WOE: hhcg/P4
Start Date: April 2011
carbquik or carbalose

Just discovered this thread from the netrition site. I'm placing my first order and was thinking of a box of carbquik and a bag of carbalose flour. Is the carbalose flour really like flour or am I better of just getting two boxes of carbquik?
Old 06-01-2011, 06:47 PM   #1199
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Carbquick is a mix made out of carbalose flour. Carbquick is like Bisquick.

Carbalose flour is an ingredient in lots of Kevin's baked goods.

Memorial to Kevinpa: His Best Recipes - Low Carb Friends
Old 06-07-2011, 05:41 AM   #1200
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KelliC
Stats: 160/138.6/135
WOE: hhcg/P4
Start Date: April 2011
I have two diabetic friends who have begun to buy wheat berries and grind their own wheat to make bread. This difference alone has impacted their blood sugar enough that they can have (this kind of) bread more often than they've ever been able to eat bread before. Has anyone else had enough success with this that they could go that route? (looking for an opinion on overall health and weight not only blood sugar)--thanks