Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2004, 04:32 PM   #91
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
I have liquid splenda which it is O carbs, so I don't use much of the powder these days. It is my understanding the carbs in the powder are from the fillers and such.

I agree 24 carbs is a bargain, but for now my ENDO doctor says I can't have more then 30 net carbs in a day, plus no fruit at all for now. I was asking if you knew about the carb count in powdered splenda because allot of people don't and they think it's free lol*

Thanks again for the pie crust recipe, can't wait to try it out for the holidays

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2004, 04:49 PM   #92
The Low Carb Chef

Gallery: Chefgreg
You are 100% correct, the bulking agent in Splenda is the source of the Carbs. However research I have seen and read indicates they are not digestible, hence in essence still makes Splenda a zero carb item. However I do agree, it is best to air on the side of caution when figuring ones daily carb intake. I can go on and on about the mispresentation of carbs in America, sugar alcohols are another example of false reporting. Be well Live well. Let me share this recipe with you if comfort food is on your wish list.

CarbQuik Cheese and Vegetable Crepes
Servings: 12
The classic thin pancake is made extra-easy with CarbQuik. The veggie filling and cheese make these crepes perfect fare for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Use these same Crepes to make an Italian favorite Manicotti
1 cup CarbQuik
1/2 cup half and half or more as needed to make a thin batter.
2 whole eggs
1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated

Vegetable Filling

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium zucchini, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup green onion, sliced
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 medium ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 pinch salt

Lightly grease 6- or 7-inch non-stick skillet; heat over medium-high heat. Stir CarbQuik, half and half and eggs in medium bowl with wire whisk or fork until blended. The batter should be rather thin.
For each crepe, pour 2 tablespoons batter into hot skillet; rotate skillet until batter covers bottom. Cook until golden brown. Gently loosen edge with spatula; turn and cook other side until golden brown. Stack crepes, placing waxed paper between, as you remove them from skillet. Keep crepes covered to prevent them from drying out.
Heat oven to 350°F. Make Vegetable Filling. Spoon filling onto crepes. Sprinkle half of the cheese over filling on crepes; roll up crepes. Place seam sides down in un-greased rectangular baking dish, 11x7x1 1/2 inches. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake uncovered 10 to 12 minutes or cheese melts and hot.

Vegetable Filling

Heat oil in 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Cover and cook zucchini, bell pepper, onions and garlic in oil 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender; remove from heat. Stir in tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt. Cover and let stand 2 to 3 minutes.

Per Serving: 118 Calories; 8g Fat 6g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; Net carbs 3
Old 09-11-2004, 04:55 PM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brennyS
SUCRALOSE

Pure sucralose has zero carbs but it is so concentrated that when it is in powder form it has to have a bulking agent added to it. Thus Splenda (powder) has maltodextrin added for bulk. The carbs are in the maltodextrin. We bake with Davinci because it is made with the pure sucralose, no filler.
Old 09-11-2004, 05:08 PM   #94
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chefgreg
[B]You are 100% correct, the bulking agent in Splenda is the source of the Carbs. However research I have seen and read indicates they are not digestible, hence in essence still makes Splenda a zero carb item.

Chefgreg, you will find most on this board won't believe splenda is non digestable. We have contacted the splenda corp and ask about the carb count in the past and that is how we know it's 24 carbs a cup.

2nd, you are a god send to this support board . I can't wait to try out all your recipes and when your new book comes out using carbquick I will be first in line

Last edited by Tater Head; 09-11-2004 at 05:10 PM..
Old 09-11-2004, 05:52 PM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Debbiebbw47
Stats: 356/344/166
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 6/6/04
Ok, here's my new problem with the Impossible Chocolate Pie - it's too good! I tried again today with the Splenda, no Sweet N Low or Davinci, and it's very tasty. It's a spongy type of texture, and I would like it a little more chocolately, which it might be w/the unsweetened chocolate instead of the chocolate milk and cocoa. But hey - I'm not complaining!!
Old 09-11-2004, 09:55 PM   #96
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: argo2d
hi chef greg! i really realy hope you have the answer to this since no one else has been able to help me!! -- what is the conversion for sucralose in terms of sugar?? everyone else uses the liquid splenda so they cant help me but i'm having problems because just adding a 'pinch' too much makes it way way way too sweet!!
Old 09-12-2004, 03:54 AM   #97
The Low Carb Chef

I am certain I can help you but I am not clear on your question. Are you asking about powdered Splenda?
Old 09-12-2004, 12:02 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MizLiz
Stats: 215/165/140
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: August 2003
argo2d,
check out this thread:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/sh...hreadid=230009
I was having trouble with how sweet splenda is too and how to use the pourable ("granular" column in table) or packets when subing for sugar in recipes. I cut this out and have it taped to the inside of my kitchen cabinet.

Know what you mean about too sweet if just a pinch too much. Most of the time, I cut back on the splenda by as much as a couple of tablespoons. If the same amount of sugar seems like it would make the recipe too sweet, I just adjust accordingly. Many times, when measuring say a cup, I will measure just a scant 1 cup, not quite to the mark. That seems to work well for me.

HTH.

Last edited by MizLiz; 09-12-2004 at 12:07 PM..
Old 09-12-2004, 01:59 PM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
I think a mixture of two different sugar subs work best, For instance splenda and E or Splenda and Diabeticsweet.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:46 PM   #100
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: argo2d
Quote:
Originally posted by Chefgreg
I am certain I can help you but I am not clear on your question. Are you asking about powdered Splenda?
um well not exactly... its like splenda minus all the fillers they put in... i.e. 100% sucralose in powder form not diluted with water?
and its hard to disperse the sweetness as well since so little powder doesnt really mix through evenly!
Old 09-13-2004, 08:04 AM   #101
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I have a question for Chefgreg but I want to first thank him for joining us, I think Carbquik is a good product that will only get better as we learn how to use it but there is a bit of a learning curve right now.

My question concerns the comment you made about the cut biscuits and the recipe on the box. You said to cut the butter in until it resembles corn meal but the recipe does not call for butter. I am sure that would help alleviate the dryness but I was afraid to add butter or lard because I thought there was shortening already in the mix. How much butter would I use?

Thanks
Pam
Old 09-13-2004, 08:48 AM   #102
The Low Carb Chef

I stand corrected, I was in such a state of chaos here these past 7 days, I spoke (or typed) before engaging brain. You are correct in that the box recipe does not include any "fat" being worked into the Carbquik. As a rule this recipe was designed for the Low Carb Low Fat conscious consumer as well as the simple stir and bake convenient user. Now how to improve this recipe..... assuming one wants a more moist biscuit.

I would suggest two methods, if adding fat is not an option, after preparation of the dough, allow this to rest chilled for at least 2 hours. This in essence is much the same as we would with a pastry dough, allowing the dough to condition it's self and actually distribute the moisture throughout before being baked.

However another is to add fat to the CarbQuik prior to the addition of the liquid. In this case I suggest 1-2 ounces (per cup of CarbQuik) cold butter worked into the CarbQuik till it resembles a meal and proceeding to make the dough.

I hope this helps.
Here is a recipe I demonstrated for several large audiences recently and was a huge success.

Sausage Gravy
Servings: 4-6

1 pound breakfast sausage
4 tablespoons Carbquik
1 1/2 cups Hood whole milk
Salt and pepper, to taste

In large skillet, over medium-high heat, cook and crumble sausage to lightly brown. Sprinkle CarbQuik over sausage in skillet, stir to blend, add milk to pan all at once. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat, until thickened and bubbly. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If desired, serve over hot baked biscuits.

Per Serving 230 Calories; 23g Fat); 16g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; Net Carbs 5g or 3g based on 6 servings

Country style baking powder biscuits
Servings: 10 biscuits

2 cups CarbQuik
2 ounces Butter, cold
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 pinch salt
1/4 cup heavy cream see option
1/4 cup water
(Or as an option use ½ cup buttermilk) add .5 carbs delete other liquids

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Cut the cold butter into the Carbquik with either a pasty cutter or two knives, till the mixture resembles course meal.
Add baking powder a pinch of salt and blend well.
Mix the heavy cream with water to equal 1/2 cup of liquid, pour into dry mix.
Mix till dough forms and comes together, but do not over work the dough. A loose sticky dough is preferred
Work to dough either by hand or with a rolling pin to ¾ inch thickness. Cut 2” biscuits with either a round biscuit cutter or a drinking glass dipped in Carbquik
Bake in hot oven 8-10 minutes till biscuits are golden brown.

Per Serving 84 Calories; 9g Fat 2g Protein; 5 Carbohydrate 3g Dietary Fiber; Net Carbs 2g
Old 09-13-2004, 09:06 AM   #103
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CMIODOWS
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: 11/17/03
Thanks so much for all your helpful suggestions. I made the drop biscuits which came out very tasty, but they were just a tad higher than a pancake. What would you suggest I do differently the next time?
Old 09-13-2004, 09:14 AM   #104
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Thanks Chefgreg, I will try your recipe next time.

Pam

BTW, the original cut biscuit recipe is what I use for dough for cobbler except I add a bit of liquid sweetener. It is by far the best thing I have made with Carbquik and everybody who tastes it love it.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:29 AM   #105
The Low Carb Chef

CMIODOWS

Sounds to me you used to small a protion to begin with, I use a fully rounded tablespoon as a guide to size,
Try using that and let me know if they are not more like the red lobster biscuits, everyone I make is identical.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:29 AM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cjack
Chefgreg... Why won't dumplings made with Carbquick stay together? They just dissolve into the broth. I added an egg and 2 TBS of Xanthan gum and a little cream to one cup of Carbquick to form a stiff dough and it stayed together, but was still a little soft for my taste. Do you have any suggestions for making dumplings?
Old 09-13-2004, 09:52 AM   #107
The Low Carb Chef

I am only able to suggest it is the cooking method. I make dumplings weekly and do not have this probelm. Make very certain the liquid or broth is at a very very slow simmer, no boil needed. Please scroll up a few lines I have posted a dumpling recipe.
Greg
Old 09-13-2004, 10:19 AM   #108
The Low Carb Chef

2 cups Carbquik
2 egg yolks beaten
1/3 cup half & half
Pinch of salt
Chicken broth or stock as needed

Stir Carbquik egg yolks salt half and half till mixed, add just enough broth or stock to form a soft dough. Let rest 10 minutes. If dough seems to stiff, work a little more broth or stock into the dough before use.

Drop by spoonfuls into hot simmering broth or liquid, reduce heat. Cook uncovered 10 minutes, Cover and cook gently 10 additional minutes. Pay close attention to cook these gently, rapid cooking and these like most any dumpling will fall apart.

For added flavor, season the dough before cooking with salt and pepper, or sprinkle a little chili powder into the dough.

This should make about 10 dumplings
Old 09-13-2004, 11:25 AM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cjack
Thanks..I'll try your recipe... I added xanthan gum and they stayed together, but your recipe is more like what I had in mind.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:03 PM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ChefGreg, I noticed that you used the carbquik as a thickener in the sausage gravy. Can it be used as a thickener in other things, like all gravies, and soups, etc? Thanks, Julie
Old 09-13-2004, 12:34 PM   #111
The Low Carb Chef

It sure can and works very well.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:02 PM   #112
The Low Carb Chef

Julie, Remember now, I am talking about making a roux, you can not add CarbQuik in the same manner you would ThicknThin.

CarbQuik in every example I have done makes a wonderful cooked roux, when used accordingly creates a perfect thickening agent. I have even made Pate a choux with CarbQuik, now imagine those eclairs and cream puffs.

Remember the basics for making a roux. Equal amounts of fat and flour(CarbQuik) cooked over medium heat. Never add a hot roux to hot liquid. Always allow the roux to cool before adding to a stock or liquid. Thick creamy soups are but little effort using a CarbQuik Roux. Be bold and have a wonderful time in the kitchen
ChefGreg
Old 09-13-2004, 02:23 PM   #113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you ChefGreg. You know, I think you shoud write a cookbook with all of your Carbquik recipes in it. I sure would buy it. I have started a whole new index in my homemade cookbook for Carbquik recipes. Yes, I figured I would use a roux. Do you know the amts per cups of liquid? For instance if you are making 4 cups of soup, how many tablespoons of roux would you use?
Old 09-13-2004, 02:43 PM   #114
The Low Carb Chef

Julie,
To be perfectly honest, I am writing another book which will include all the recipes I have tested with CarbQuik, over 120. I am also creating a CarbQuik book that is eclusive to CarbQuik, I hope to have finished and to the publisher in about 3-4 weeks if my schedule ever allows me a little quiet time.

Now for the roux answer; Here is a guideline for using roux to liquid ratio:

Per quart or 32 ounces as follows;
light sauce or thickness 3-4 ounces finished roux
medium sauce or thickness 4-5 ounces finished roux
heavy or thick sauce 6-8 ounces finished roux

Now remember to add the roux and whisk this into the liquid and allow to simmer till desired thickness is achieved.

Good luck, and for al lto know, my schedule has me out of the Country for the next 5 days, so answering if at all will be very hit and miss.

ChefGreg
Old 09-13-2004, 04:19 PM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Chefgreg,

Re: CarbQuik Sandwich Rolls
Servings: 6

Do you think you could make these in a muffin top pan or would it be too low to bake them properly?
Old 09-13-2004, 04:28 PM   #116
The Low Carb Chef

I do think this would work, especially if you have the large muffin pans, however be certain to let them proof over the top so you have decent size roll. Try it you have little to lose, these no matter will still make a nice roll for you.

Greg
Old 09-13-2004, 04:52 PM   #117
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Chefgreg:

Regarding the following reply to CMIODOWS:

CMIODOWS

Sounds to me you used to small a protion to begin with, I use a fully rounded tablespoon as a guide to size,
Try using that and let me know if they are not more like the red lobster biscuits, everyone I make is identical.

Were you talking about the amount of bisquit dough you put on the baking sheet for one biscuit? In other words, you drop them on the baking sheet a heaping tablespoon at a time? I could not figure out what you were talking about when you said 1 tablespoon.

For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. (2 Chr 16:9 KJV)
Old 09-13-2004, 05:03 PM   #118
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CMIODOWS
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: 11/17/03
I was asking about the drop biscuits that are just plopped on the cookie sheet. I am pretty sure mine were over 1 tablespoon, but maybe my oven wasn't pre heated enough. I will try these again tomorrow with the sausage gravy.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:16 PM   #119
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: JanieP
Hi Chefgreg,

I made the cheddar cheese bisquits again and they were excellent. I did not use baking powder, but I did add an egg. They came out just the way I wanted them to. Now, if I can only stop at one.

JanieP
Old 09-13-2004, 05:23 PM   #120
The Low Carb Chef

Folks, your making a lot more of this than is required.

When I say use a tablespoon, I mean take a tablespoon and scoop a large heaping amount of dough and just plop or drop in on the cookie sheet and bake it. I often just grab of a portion of dough with my fingers and drop in on the pan, the way it gets there is not important, but do not flatten it or it will be thin as one writer indicated. BTW is the dough your making sticky and stiff? There is a typo on that recipe in the amount of liquid, The manufacturers know this and have corrected this on future boxes.
It should read 2/3 cup water. Remember as with any flour type product, you may have to add a little more flour or water to get the dough to the proper texture. PLEASE VISIT THE CARBALOSE WEB SITE AND USE THE REVISED RECIPE FOR DROP BISCUITS..
http://www.tovaindustries.com/Carbal...p-biscuit.html

Or if nothing else use a little kitchen scale, portion a 1 ounce portion of the drop biscuit dough then slightly round it or shape it oblong or any shape and drop it on a cookie pan, YES your oven must be completely pre-heated not patial. These will expand as baked and increase in size.

I will not be able to answer any further questions till the 20th. Have a nice week all

ChefGreg