Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2006, 07:06 PM   #1111
Pam
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Pam
Stats: 181/150/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: March 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by julievan
I am looking for a recipe that i got for making doughtnut holes with carb quick it got ruinned i made these and liked them can someone help thanks
I'm not sure if this is the recipe you're looking for. I found it on page 2 of the "Carbquik Recipes" thread.

This recipe was first posted last year by Raul, and makes excellent fritters or doughnut holes. I just tried it again, subbing Carbquik for the bake mix, and they were excellent! I even tried a chocolate variation, as well as add chopped apple to one to make an apple fritter. The possibilities are endless! There is a separate thread, entitled "If you love fritters or doughnuts..." but here is the basic recipe. I did need to use 4 Tab. of Carbquik, but only 3 Tab. when I used the Carbsense.
My tweaks are in parentheses.

Dry Ingredients:
3 Tab. Carbsense Zero Carb Bake Mix (or 4 Tab. Carbquik)
1 Packet Splenda (I used 8 drops liquid Splenda)
1/8 Teaspoon Stevia (I omitted, because I was using Davinci's)
1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
(I also added a pinch of nutmeg, because my Grandma always used nutmeg in her homemade doughnuts).

Wet Ingredients:
1 Large Egg White, beaten
3 Tablespoons water (I sub Davinci's. So far I've tried French Vanilla and Irish Cream. Both are delicious!)

1. Beat egg white until frothy with 1 Packet Splenda & 3 Tablespoons water. (I first beat the egg white alone till frothy, but not stiff, then added the Davinci's and liquid Splenda and beat some more. You don't want it as thick as meringue, but it should have some body to it to help your dough-nots have a nice puffy shape.)
2. Add dry ingredients and combine well.
3. Fry batter in your oil of choice until crispy & golden brown. (I put about an inch of oil in a small sauce pan.)
4. Sprinkle with 1 more packet of Splenda (I mixed some granular Splenda with a little cinnamon to sprinkle over).
The recipe makes about 8-10 doughnut hole sized treats. They really puff up as they cook. I ate them all, but I think the carb count is no more than 2 or 3 for the whole batch.
Variations: Apple Fritter: Add finely chopped apple pieces.
Chocolate Sugared Doughnut: Add 2 tsp. cocoa, and the 1/8tsp Stevia.
Use different flavored extracts and/or Davinci's; chocolate with coconut would be good!
If anyone comes up with new variations, please post!
And a huge THANK YOU TO RAUL, who originated this recipe!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2006, 12:52 PM   #1112
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bajuhe
Hello everyone: Forgive me if this question has been asked already, but I couldn't possibly read thru 38 pages of messages in this thread.

I bought a 3lb box of Carbquik a few months ago and noticed waxy slivers and flakes that run thru out the mixture. I got down to the bottom of the bag yesterday and they were very numerous so much so that I had to sift them out. Has anyone noticed this? Are they harmful or natural or what? They are like flakes of wax...white in color. But very noticeable. I emailed to the carbquik site, but have yet to receive an answer. Thanks for your help. This is my favorite forum.

bajuhe
Old 08-17-2006, 07:20 PM   #1113
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jlshields
Stats: 225/154/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/1/2003
Rhubarb Cobbler

I just found this recipe on a blogspot, and it is great. except for a bit of the carbquick aftertaste.
Anyone know how to overcome that?

Here is the recipe:
This recipe has several variations to it that you can use depending on your own personal preference for sweeteners and ingredients. Marilyn explains it all in her recipe! ENJOY!!!

LOW-CARB RHUBARB COBBLER

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Filling
8 cups of rhubarb cut into 1/2 "-1" chunks
3/4 cup Splenda
3/4 cup Erythritol
1 Tbsp Stevia Supreme Spoonable
2 Tbsp Expert Foods ThickenThin not/Sugar
1 tsp cinnamon (use more for stronger flavor)
2 Tbsp cold butter cut up into small pieces

Grease a 9X13 pan with butter and put the rhubarb into the greased pan. Thoroughly mix all of the remaining ingredients (except the butter) in a bowl and sprinkle on top of the rhubarb. Toss the rhubarb to spread the sweet mixture around as good as possible. Dot the rhubarb with small pieces of butter.

Cobbler
2 cups CarbQuik
1/3 cup Erythritol
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup cold butter
1 egg
1/4 cup heavy cream

Mix the CarbQuik, Erythritol, and cinnamon in a medium-sized bowl. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles large crumbs. In another bowl, mix together the egg and cream with a fork and then stir it into the CarbQuik mixture until thoroughly blended. Spoon the dough over the rhubarb mixture, but do NOT smooth the dough with your spoon.

Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Allow the cobbler to cool before drizzling some heavy cream and sugar-free preserves on top. Makes eight servings which can be stored in the refrigerator.

NOTE: The sweetener combination of Splenda, Erythritol, and Stevia is what Marilyn chose to use. You can actually use any combination of your favorite sweeteners, but that may change the nutritional content. Also, raspberries can be substituted for the rhubarb for this recipe which will necessitate using less sweeteners.

Calories: 275
Fat: 22.7g
Total Carbs: 23g
Fiber: 14.2g
Net Carbs: 8.8g
Protein: 7.85
"How does one become a butterfly?...You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar."Trina Paulus

"Courage is fear that has said its prayers."
Old 08-18-2006, 05:33 AM   #1114
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajuhe
Hello everyone: Forgive me if this question has been asked already, but I couldn't possibly read thru 38 pages of messages in this thread.

I bought a 3lb box of Carbquik a few months ago and noticed waxy slivers and flakes that run thru out the mixture. I got down to the bottom of the bag yesterday and they were very numerous so much so that I had to sift them out. Has anyone noticed this? Are they harmful or natural or what? They are like flakes of wax...white in color. But very noticeable. I emailed to the carbquik site, but have yet to receive an answer. Thanks for your help. This is my favorite forum.

bajuhe
They're supposed to be in there. That's some kind of shortening just like they put in Bisquick.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:51 AM   #1115
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
It's too late now, but it's probably best to take the package contents out when first opened and shake or stir them up before recontainering them in something airtight...

Things will settle over time...

Old 08-30-2006, 10:00 AM   #1116
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oliveoyl
Stats: 208/166/165
WOE: Low Carb Primal
Start Date: August 2002
jlshields: that cobbler recipe looks great -- I love rhubarb!! I usually add a little splenda to anything I make with Carbquik (even biscuits) and that helps offset that "Carbquik taste" -- I don't put in enough to make it taste noticably sweet, but just enough to mellow the off flavors a little. Thanks for the cobbler recipe!
Old 09-05-2006, 05:09 AM   #1117
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: diwitch
Stats: 140/140/140
WOE: Mine
Start Date: Jan, 2009
Quick question, I wanted to make the sandwich rolls (chefgreg's recipe), but I have neither a bread machine or a stand up mixer with dough hook. Has anyone made them by hand? Any tips? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Di

Upon re-reading recipe, I realized I don't have any oven proof bowls. Perhaps I could line a bowl with aluminum foil and use that as a mold? Or has anyone made them without using bowls?

Last edited by diwitch; 09-05-2006 at 05:15 AM.. Reason: Forgot
Old 09-05-2006, 11:22 AM   #1118
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaFaye
Help

Anyone have the recipe for Red Lostbers Bis. ( Can't Spell )
Thanks--Linda 160.8/148.2/130.0
Old 09-15-2006, 03:38 AM   #1119
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: diwitch
Stats: 140/140/140
WOE: Mine
Start Date: Jan, 2009
Linda,

There is a recipe for cheddar cheese biscuits here:
http://www.tovaindustries.com/carbalose/recipe.php

These sound like the red lobster biscuits to me.

Di
Old 10-21-2006, 04:42 PM   #1120
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Davian
Stats: 245 / 142 now - rather 135
WOE: Maintenance plus.....
Start Date: 02/24/04
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

3/4 cup Carbalose flour
3/4 cup almond flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup Splenda
scant 1/4 cup Erythritol
scant 1/4 cup Brown Diabetisweet
1/2 tsp blackstrap molasses
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
3 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350.

In a saucepan, add raisins and water to cover. Heat over medium heat for about 8 - 10 minutes. Strain and set aside.

In a large bowl, mix carbalose flour, almond flour, baking powder, and cinnamon. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, add the softened butter and the sweeteners. Mix with hand mixer on medium speed for about 1 minute until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, then molasses and vanilla extract.

Add the butter mixture to the flour mixture and mix on low speed til incorporated. Then fold in 3 cups of oats and 1 cup of raisins.

Drop by tablespoons full onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 11 minutes until light brown. Transfer to cooling rack. Refrigerate dough between batches. Makes 36 medium sized cookies.

These are soft and chewy with a good oat flavor (cinnamon isn't overpowering).

Put it through ******: 107 calories, 7 g fat, 8 g carbs, 3 g of protein per cookies. Actually, not as bad I had thought.......
Just for reference.... the 1/2 cup Splenda, 1/4 cup Erythritol, and 1/4 cup brown diabetisweet are equal to 1 cup of Splenda.

You may need a touch more molasses to replace the brown D.

I put these in an airtight container on the counter. They are even better (if that's possible) the next day.

This has to be my all time favorite cookie recipe.

Enjoy!
Old 10-22-2006, 11:03 PM   #1121
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shawneesioux
Stats: 170/128 Maintaining since Aug. 2001. Young 62 Y.O
WOE: just Low Carb my own style
Start Date: 01/30/01
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliveoyl View Post
jlshields: that cobbler recipe looks great -- I love rhubarb!! I usually add a little splenda to anything I make with Carbquik (even biscuits) and that helps offset that "Carbquik taste" -- I don't put in enough to make it taste noticably sweet, but just enough to mellow the off flavors a little. Thanks for the cobbler recipe!
Ditto what oliveoil says, about the YUM cobbler, and the addition of a little sweetener added to CQ..
I go even further, I add a little Vanilla extract to it also..yup, even for Biscuits...cause I love CQ, but dislike that ''off taste"

Shawnee
Old 12-07-2006, 02:07 PM   #1122
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Location: MANHATTAN NYC - click on ''MAMZELLE" directly below for more photos.
Gallery: MAMZELLE
Stats: LIFETIME MANTENANCE
WOE: ATKINS "ORIGINAL" DIET - why tamper with success!!
Start Date: as Patient when the Maestro's FIRST book came out
Unless you don't want to use saccharin for some reason, I use ''sweet n low'' liquid [which IS saccharin] or I melt my saccharin tablets in an empty Tobasco bottle [so it drips out of the spout controlled]. It melts in cold water and works beautifully if shaken for when I run out of the s&w liquid [but I make sure I never run out of 'anything'..... at the moment I have 5 extra backup bottles and do at all times, but in the bedroom I keep a bottle of the saccharan tablets disolved mixture becaue the tiny Tobasco bottle is more convenient size-wise if I need something sweeter and in there, it's at my fingertips]. You don't need Splenda liquid...... I'd say to make it from your splenda packets but ALL packets have maltodextrin in them which raise sugar [all powders do, for shelf life and bulk, so really shouldn't use powder forms for ANYTHING]. Dr. Bernstein, whom I trust is very adament about that..... ALL powders, including sweetners, jellos, puddings]..... just EVERYTHING he says to use ONLY tablets or liquids.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:41 AM   #1123
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Debrat
Can you use carbquick with the induction phase?
Old 05-15-2007, 11:43 AM   #1124
Junior LCF Member

If you haven't tried the deep dish pizza recipe you should it is delish.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:56 PM   #1125
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrat View Post
Can you use carbquick with the induction phase?

nope.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:10 PM   #1126
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question I am a newbie in West Virgina
Old 05-20-2007, 03:08 PM   #1127
Major LCF Poster!

Anything not on the food lists (includes NO grains and Carbquik is made from grains) can't be eaten in (Atkins) Induction.

...and welcome!
Old 05-27-2007, 07:41 AM   #1128
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Conevery
Stats: 258/186/135
WOE: VSG/LC
Start Date: Feb 2010
What a great thread about Carbqick ...

I just tried my first CQ recipe (pancakes) from the box and was very disappointed; however, I posted to the board and got someone's tweaks. The pancakes were amazing!!! Now I'm on to my second CQ recipe. I tried the box recipe for lemon muffins and they were awful.

Anybody have a great CQ muffin recipe? Looking for a generic-type recipe so I could change up the flavors from time-to-time.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:57 AM   #1129
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jazzvonpurr
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 1,07
Hi I am new to the boards here, am a returning low carber... (will have to post my story soon)I have been reading the boards, all the recipes sound fantastic, I live in Nashville, and have called the Krogers (closest to me as well as a few in the surrounding area) and nobody carries CQ... would you happen to know which stores???
Old 06-26-2007, 04:28 AM   #1130

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzvonpurr View Post
Hi I am new to the boards here, am a returning low carber... (will have to post my story soon)I have been reading the boards, all the recipes sound fantastic, I live in Nashville, and have called the Krogers (closest to me as well as a few in the surrounding area) and nobody carries CQ... would you happen to know which stores???
I hate to be the barer of bad news jazz but the only place you can get carbquik is online. If you click on the blue underlined link you can order it right here from netrition.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:31 AM   #1131
Junior LCF Member

Thanks, looks like I will be placing my order...
Old 06-26-2007, 05:41 AM   #1132
Junior LCF Member

ok I updated my profile with a little background,I was a low carber about 10 years ago, then stopped, decided the band was for me, had it from 02, to this year, finally had it removed (had 3 port replacements...YIKES!!!) after non stop barfing for the entire time, and not much weight loss, I am losing again now that I am low carbing, and now that there is a product like carbquik, my journey will be much easier... thanks for listening...
Old 06-27-2007, 12:54 PM   #1133
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
ok I updated my profile with a little background,I was a low carber about 10 years ago, then stopped, decided the band was for me, had it from 02, to this year, finally had it removed (had 3 port replacements...YIKES!!!) after non stop barfing for the entire time, and not much weight loss, I am losing again now that I am low carbing, and now that there is a product like carbquik, my journey will be much easier... thanks for listening...
to the forum. I think you will like low carbing much better this time around. There are so many new low carb and carb free products on the market and lots of great cooks on this site with delicious recipes. I've had lots of sucess with most things I've tried. I low carbed back in the early 90's and all we had was soy flour to try and bake something out of. Nowadays, you can even make homemade bread and all kinds of desserts and sauces, etc. and no soy flour needed, unless you want it.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:51 PM   #1134
Junior LCF Member

I am learning how to use these threads. hope I did this one right, wanted to say thanks for the welcome... ... and I have a question, it seems a lot of folks use liquid splenda? where would I find this? I did a yahoo search and looks like it is about $18.00 an ounce? and not readily available to the public, is that corrrect? thanks in advance for any answers...
Old 06-28-2007, 05:15 PM   #1135
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Welcome Jazz! Good luck on your LC journey!
Old 06-28-2007, 05:22 PM   #1136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Jazz, Yes, you're right, liquid Splenda is quite pricey. In place of the liquid Splenda, you can try Fiberfit from Netrition and/or the Splenda Quick Packs. They are great sweeteners for very little carbs. Read around the site a bit and you'll find lots of info on combining sweeteners for the best effect. There's also liquid Stevia, Erythritol, Xylitol, Diabetisweet, and many others. You may need to find the combos that work best for you, but people here are very willing to help.

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 06-28-2007 at 05:24 PM..
Old 06-28-2007, 05:25 PM   #1137
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
I am learning how to use these threads. hope I did this one right, wanted to say thanks for the welcome... ... and I have a question, it seems a lot of folks use liquid splenda? where would I find this? I did a yahoo search and looks like it is about $18.00 an ounce? and not readily available to the public, is that corrrect? thanks in advance for any answers...
The only liquid splenda that I know of is sweetzfree and yeah, it's pretty expensive, but you only use a few drops at a time so it probably lasts a long time. If I recall correctily, you can only purchase it at certain times during the month. Maybe try doing a google search and the info might be there. Myself, I just use splenda most of the time and diabetisweet to replace brown sugar. Some people make a combination of sweetners, but I don't bake much, so I haven't figured out how to do that yet.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:19 PM   #1138
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/150/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I use a few drops of Sweetzfree almost every day and a two-ounce bottle can last me five or six months, so even though it seems pricey, it's not really.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:26 AM   #1139
Junior LCF Member

thank you for all the answers... so far this site has been extremely helpful... all of you folks here rock!
Old 06-30-2007, 04:55 AM   #1140
Junior LCF Member

two questions here, what is banta? and I have noticed a lot of the reviews on Carbquik say it is salty??? if I were to, use unsalted butter in all of the recipes would they still turn out? I am wondering if maybe the salted butter has different properties... thanks in advance...