Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2006, 09:52 AM   #1081
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
I love the Thickenthin for thickening soups, sauces, etc. You get a synergy from the blend of gums so you don't get that aftertaste you can get from using just one. It's expensive but lasts a long time.

I use Carbalose for breading (as well as breads, muffins etc) and I don't vacuum pack or freeze. It keep just fine tightly sealed in my pantry. Carbalose is the flour used in Carquik. For pancakes, I use Sherrielee's recipe but you should be able to use any regular pancake recipe subbing Carbalose and adding your own baking powder. I also use Carbalose for making "milk gravy" or any roux--just requires simmering longer than regular flour.
Think of it this way--Carbquik is to Carbalose what Bisquick is to flour. Before LC'g, I never used Bisquick, I just added my own fat/leavening to flour.

Last edited by jackieba; 06-07-2006 at 09:54 AM..

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2006, 10:22 AM   #1082
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Location: MANHATTAN NYC - click on ''MAMZELLE" directly below for more photos.
Gallery: MAMZELLE
Stats: LIFETIME MANTENANCE
WOE: ATKINS "ORIGINAL" DIET - why tamper with success!!
Start Date: as Patient when the Maestro's FIRST book came out
Oh, now I see.... Thickenthin is the combination of both the guar and xan gums. That's simple enough, and Carbalose is the generic of carbquik [in my interpretation of what you said]. Right? But I just looked it up and Carbalose is 29 gms non soluble fiber as opposed to Carbquick's 7 grams [with no definition about fiber next to or under it]. To tell you the truth, I'm not so sure I believe or trust those 'NET' gram claims. [BTW..... I've also used sour cream to thicken soups but it doesn't MUCH and it makes the flavor much milder of course].
Old 06-07-2006, 10:36 AM   #1083
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/155/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
Carbquik has shortening and leavening agents added to it. Carbalose is like the flour base for it.

Sour cream is yummy in soups, and cream cheese is a wonderful, creamy thickener too! Broccoli or cauliflower soups with cream cheese are so good. Try Cheri's Southwestern Soup. It's one of my favorites! Here's a link: http://users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/crea...taco_soup.html
Old 06-07-2006, 10:49 AM   #1084
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

The agents that Carbquik has, do I need for pancakes, making breaded cutlets, etc, that the Carbalose doesn't have? I don't want anything that I have to ADD things to, like baking soda or ANYTHING else, I don't have that patience or room for extra things, I want 'all in one' and OUT of the kitchen fast. I only like 1, 2, 3 QUICK cooking so I can get back to other things and can't be bothered with extra steps or add on's, or 'add in's'. I'm a one step cook and OUT. lol So would I have to add things to carbalose....if so, forget it. And remember, I DO NOT BAKE AT ALL so I don't need any of this for baking..... ONLY for thickening soups and sauces, and for quick coating of fillets, maybe sprinkling onto vegs [zucchini, broccoli, etc.] when I get in that mood, mostly not for vegs.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:07 AM   #1085
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I'm lost again.... I asked if carbalose has to have things ADDED to it, i think you said somthing like that above. I don"t want to have to ADDDDDDDDD things for thickening or pancakes or filleting/sauteeing. I ONLY want a flour substitute that I can use ALONE, so which is better Carbquik OR Carbalose and GLUCOSE/CARB wise. [doesn't flour mixed into liquids [soups] thicken by itself? Why do I need the gums if I have flour. I've never used flour [before the carbquik recently so I don't know about these things.... flour is too fattening and now with diabetes I'm just TRYING to find something I can use to thicken, etc., and is low carb. I don't have a great need for all these products, just OCASSIONALLY thickening soups and sauces and very rarely..... pancakes, and coating fillets.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:06 PM   #1086
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Carbalose has 430 mgs salt per 100 g and Carbquik 80 gms per 17 g so what's the salt difference in the two [I'm bad at math lol]... I keep my salt down because of high pressure, never USE added salt either.

Last edited by MAMZELLE; 06-07-2006 at 12:16 PM..
Old 06-07-2006, 12:09 PM   #1087
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/155/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
It sounds like ThickenThin is what you'd want to thicken soups, etc.

I think Carbquik is all you need for pancakes and breading. I have Carbalose, but don't use it for much. Here's the recipe I use for pancakes that's quite good:

Yummy Carbquik Pancakes

1/3 cup Carbquik
2/3 tsp. baking powder
3 tsp. pourable Splenda or other sweetener to taste

Mix dry ingredients together. Mix wet ingredients together and then add to dry:

1 large egg
1 T. water + 1 T. cream (or 2 T. Carb Countdown Milk)
1 T. melted butter

I hope this helps!
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
Old 06-07-2006, 12:20 PM   #1088
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Why don't you use the carbalose? Just might help in my assessment of the two. [I wouldn't bother with baking soda, I just use the rest that you wrote, and it's delicious. I use liquid sweet & low because splenda has maltodextrin in the packets which spikes sugar [or dextrose or both].

I would use carbalose if it's better for blood sugar. I don't care if it doesn't TASTE as good as carbquik. Any flour is such a treat for me that it ALL tastes fantastic so I have to pick the lowest sugar spiking one, That's my main concern. Which would be of the two.... AND the lowest salt.

I just made a quickie pancake with the carbquik cause I was starving and hadn't had breakfast [it's 330 pm] and threw only some water, carbquik, cinnamon and an egg and even forgot the butter in the pan or heavy cream in the mix [I run in and out while doing other things] but with nonstick it doesn't matter and slid right out, but even with only those 4 ingredients it was delicious, added butter and a capful DaVinci pancake syrup as I always do while eating it, or sometimes into the mixture. So i'm not that particular with pancakes, just tasting like a bread substance is good enough for me, as such a TREAT. So i have to pick the best one blood sugar wise, and LOWEST salt and that's really all I care about in which of the 2 flours, as long as they function the same. So which would be the best for me. [and if I just throw one of the flours in a liquid [soup or sauce], it would thicken it, wouldn't it? So what do I even NEED the gums for]. I'm looking for simplicity and low sugar spikes and low salt, that's all. I haven't even tried the Carbquik into a soup or sauce yet, because I'm trying to use it very rarely but will next opportunity I get, but won't that or carbalose be enough to thicken ANYTHING? I just still need help in deciding which, since lowest sugar spiking properties and lowest salt is my main concern.

Last edited by MAMZELLE; 06-07-2006 at 12:49 PM..
Old 06-09-2006, 06:29 PM   #1089
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ThisDAR
I'm a Type 2 diabetic and just received my order of Carbquick, so I can't tell you how it affected my BGLs yet. But you should test yourself 2 hours after meals to see how things you eat affect YOU. Everyone is different and what is promoted as low carb or good for diabetics doesn't always work out that way.

As for your chocolate cravings, try Eat Well Be Well chocolate bars. They taste great, have fiber but no sugar alcohols, and only 2 net grams of carbs per bar. I just received some chocolate chips, but haven't tried them yet. The problem with the chips is that there are carbs in the things I want to put them in! And I don't trust myself to eat them straight out of the bag. I'll stick to the chocolate bars for that.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:18 AM   #1090
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

You kidding? I've been testing sometimes 5 times a day or more for three years already, since finding out im diabetic with my MOTHER's old meter when starting to take care of her [she's been diabetic ever since I've been born it seemed] but yes, I ALWAYS check my sugar, and have prescriptions for 7 times a day [200 strips per month], though i don't check THAT much [though I did my mother's even more than that around the clock because she was on insulin] And when first trying Dreamfields I checked my sugar 30 times or more with 5 different brand meters at the same time and have it all in my log books [i'm up to owning 34 meters at the moment lol, which includes also different 'models' of all the popular brands, except Accu-Check, who doesn't give them away free :-( but I favor Elite XL, Ultra Smart, and Freestyle FLASH over all the others, after taking them to the Dr's office and finding those accurate]........

EACH time I ate Dreamfields and EACH hour up untill morning I fanatically tested, because Pasta is my biggest problem and was the thing I missed so much [like others miss sweets, with me it's pasta], and that's because it affects everyone differently I found out on these boards when doing heavy studies on Dreamfields before even telling my fiancee to send it to me, 2 or more years ago [in fact, He's the one who stumbled across LCF when helping me investigate Dreamfields way back then] ..... and it DID raise my sugar so I started mixing it with protein [meat] and the readings stayed down to 130's 140's after that and even in the 120's once..... but now it does rise more for some reason. So not only is every ONE different, but at different times it even effects us differently individually at times, than it used to, which is the problem with this darn disease!.....

I've been having the carbquik and testing and it doesn't seem to be spiking me, but that doesn't say it won't tomorrow... that's the elusiveness of this disorder, I've learned. What will be fine and tolerable by our bodies one day, may not be the next, or the next month, year, etc., that's why constant testing is so imperative......

I'm going to look up the eat well be well chocolate on Netrition. Thanks for telling me, and see the counts and most likely put it in my pending cart there, because not only do I love chocolate [the only 'sweet' that I DO crave, though the darker and semi-sweet is my passion, so I wouldn't even call it a 'sweet'...... and it's HEALTHY too!]. I don't bake so I really don't have anything to put the chips into lol, so I HAVE to eat them right out of the bag, BUT I've been using Nestle's semi-sweet one's and Giardelli's which are even DARKER with more cocoa content [the most healthy] and because they're always in the house, I've trained myself to only pop one or two here and there for a flavor burst, and that they're NOT 'irristable'. It's all psychological. If anything is always around, it doesn't become unique anymore nor begging at us, and I can't even think of the last time I've had one.... same goes for my Celantano frozen parmisan which I HAD to break down and buy after 2 years and I weaned myself off of the the addiction for it lol, it's always in the freezer and doesn't bother me anymore [it's lightly breaded and floured with sugar in the sauce of course]..... we become tired of ANYTHING if it's so available! That really works for me after the beginning is a little difficult, we can get past that and it becomes something we really CAN eat only once in a while because it's always there..... I find 'will power' with the chocolate and parmesan isn't a problem anymore. Haven't done that with ice cream [my other ruination] because luckily my freezer is always too full lol even though it's a giant side by side but stuffed at all times lol. And they haven't come up with a REALLY carb and sugar free ice scream yet and these available are horrible, and not WORTH the carbs even in sugar free. I'm thinking of getting an ice cream maker to make my own.....

Try the carbquik and test and let's hear how it is for you. Ever use carbalose or any others? I still have Krusteaz's ''CarbSimple'' here for years already but since I'm not a baker, I didn't have much need for it before [now I'm craving more variety] and two are still sealed and half is left of the third box, but after a friend suggested carbquik and i trusted her judgement I got that and used IT only so I should try the carbsimple again too ...... it's 9 net gms [23 total] and <1 sugar per 1/2 cup. I never tested it and don't even remember back then because as I say, I don't bake, and probably only used very little in mostly eggs for just a fraction of a grain taste. But I'll try it again one day soon, because I've already used my last of carbquik and this mamouth Netrition order is taking me so long, deciding which form of things to try along with my regulars. I never needed to thicken things before but I'm getting bored and want to experiment. I thickened a rattatouille type pot the other day and didn't feel great...... it really dragged me down but that was THAT day, it didn't others, i don't think so it's hard to tell. We have to KEEP testing to get any real permanent leverage of how things are effecting us..... Golden farms chocolates are great, but with alcohols, but didn't raise my sugar with a half of a 2.50 oz per bar [1.25 oz] but then it did seem to spike me but it's hard to tell what's actually doing it...... so I'm on the prowl for a better and sugar alcohol free chocolate too. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2006, 11:28 AM   #1091
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

correction for above for ''Carbsimple''.... 9 net gms for 1/3rd cup, not 1/2.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:39 AM   #1092
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

oh, that IS the same brand as the chips I already have in my cart! I'll try the bars too, but I see it's 16 carb gms, that's the same count as my Golden Farms which is 2.50 oz. per bar and it only states 34 gms for the eat well bars.... what's that in oz? Is that more or less than 2.50 oz.?
Old 07-13-2006, 12:58 PM   #1093
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Julievan
what is the count on the bisquits some say 5 some say 6 the receipes say 2 does anyon no
Old 07-13-2006, 04:15 PM   #1094
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Kevinpa
Stats: 230/160/165
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Start Date: May 2005
Kevin's Carbquik Muffins

I made a small batch as a test but it could easily be doubled.

1 cup carbquik
1/4 cup resistant wheat starch
1/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon DiabetiSweet (or granular erythritol/splenda mix)
2 tablespoons softened butter
3/4 cup heavy cream

In a mixing bowl, combine ingredients until the dough forms a ball. Turn onto a flour dusted surface.(I used WPI) Fold the dough in half and knead a half a dozen times adding enough flour to keep dough from sticking to your hands.
Carefully roll the dough out to 1/2 inch thick. Then with a 3 inch flour coated cutter, cut dough into bisquits.
Place on a cooking spray coated baking sheet leaving an inch in between each bisquit.
Bake in a 500 degree oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown.

Made 5 bisquits at 2.5 carbs each.

They were wonderful with butter and sf blackberry jam on them.

[COLOR=Sienna]Presenting the Bacon Egg and Cheese Kevin McCarbquik!
(3.5 carbs)
[/COLOR]
Old 07-13-2006, 04:40 PM   #1095
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

They look great but..... Can't believe that's only 2x carbs. And so many ingredients. Even carbquik alone raised my sugar.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:47 PM   #1096
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMZELLE
They look great but..... Can't believe that's only 2x carbs. And so many ingredients. Even carbquik alone raised my sugar.
Your right. :blush:
I'm sorry that is an older recipe back before I was counting carbquik correctly by weight.

[COLOR=Red]The correct carb count is 3.8 each[/COLOR]

sorry for the confusion.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:50 PM   #1097
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Sorry for the OT ThreadJack, but Kevin, what the heck does
[COLOR=Indigo] quandro omni flunkus moritati[/COLOR]
mean? (and can you say it in "polite society")? :blush:

Last edited by theislandgirl; 07-13-2006 at 09:58 PM..
Old 07-13-2006, 10:29 PM   #1098
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theislandgirl
Sorry for the OT ThreadJack, but Kevin, what the heck does
[COLOR=Indigo] quandro omni flunkus moritati[/COLOR]
mean? (and can you say it in "polite society")? :blush:
[COLOR=DarkRed]It means: when all else fails, play dead[/COLOR]

Last edited by Kevinpa; 07-13-2006 at 11:11 PM..
Old 07-14-2006, 01:50 AM   #1099
Blabbermouth!!!

Biscuit Barbeque Cups

Biscuit Barbeque Cups

6 large muffin tin servings …… 5 carbs including biscuits

1 lb ground beef
1 stalk finely chopped celery
4 green onions ,about 4 inch chopped
1/2 cup LC barbecue sauce , see below
1/4 teaspoon salt
Carbquik biscuits dough, see below
shredded cheddar cheese

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Brown beef, celery, and onion.
3. Drain.
4. Stir in BBQ sauce and salt.
5. Simmer uncovered for 3 minutes.
6. Place biscuit dough into each well of an ungreased large muffin tin.
7. Press dough firmly onto bottoms and up sides of cups.
8. Spoon about 1/4 cup of beef mixture into each biscuit cup.
9. Bake 10 to 13 minutes or until edges of biscuits are golden brown.
10.Place shredded cheese on top and return to oven just until cheese melts.
11.Let stand one minute.

Biscuit Dough
1 cup carbquik
1/4 cup resistant wheat starch
1/4 cup wheat protein isolate 5000
1 1/2 teaspoon DiabetiSweet (or granular erythritol/splenda mix)
2 tablespoons softened butter
3/4 cup heavy cream

In a mixing bowl, combine ingredients until the dough forms a ball. Turn onto a flour dusted surface.(I used WPI) Fold the dough in half and knead a half a dozen times adding enough flour to keep dough from sticking to your hands.

Barbeque Sauce (can add heat...I prefer these sweet barbeque)
1/2 cup heinz 1 carb catsup
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup water
3 green onion chopped
1 1/2 teaspoon Diabeti Sweet brown sugar substitute
1 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
1 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Old 07-14-2006, 09:20 AM   #1100
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BB in MN
That's an old Pillsbury bake-off recipe!! My kids LOVED them when they were young.

Thanks for sharing
Old 07-18-2006, 07:08 AM   #1101
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: CreekWatcher
Kevin,
I just saw the post for your carbquick muffins: have you tried recipes for biscuits using just CQ for flour, and do you find this recipe a substantial improvement? I'm interested because they look good, and (although it's wonderful stuff, generally) I haven't found the CQ biscuits good enough to be worth making.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:32 AM   #1102
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: scott123
Stats: 245/220/205
Start Date: 2/6/04
CreekWatcher, what carbquik biscuit recipe have you been using?
Old 07-18-2006, 09:03 AM   #1103
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekWatcher
Kevin,
I just saw the post for your carbquick muffins: have you tried recipes for biscuits using just CQ for flour, and do you find this recipe a substantial improvement? I'm interested because they look good, and (although it's wonderful stuff, generally) I haven't found the CQ biscuits good enough to be worth making.
I have probably tried at least a half dozen different Biscuit recipes using carbquik and was disappointed in them all. Thats what originally led me to come up with this recipe.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:50 AM   #1104
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SCMargeG
HELP! I need some advice. I just purchased carbquik and have been looking over recipes. Many of them call for heavy cream. I am in a pickle because my doctor not only has me on a low carb diet but low fat as well. Doesn't anybody using these products worrry about all the fat? I need your input.
Thanks
Marge Glauser
Old 07-24-2006, 09:42 AM   #1105
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123
CreekWatcher, what carbquik biscuit recipe have you been using?

(Didn't see your post until today.) I tried the drop recipe on the CarbQ box-also the cut biscuit recipe that was either on the box or on the Carbalose website.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:38 AM   #1106
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Creekwatcher, the biscuit recipes on the box/website are pretty horrible. I'm sure carbquik has lost more than a few customers because of those darn things. Carbquik biscuits have to have added fat, preferably butter. Try my recipe, it's Haley's Nana's with a few tweaks.

4 oz. carbquik
3 oz. buttermilk
3 T. butter

Preheat oven to 500. Sprinkle liberal amount of flour on board or large piece of foil on counter.

In a large glass bowl, melt the butter in the microwave until it is almost melted (residual heat will melt it completely). Set aside for a minute while you measure the carbquik. Add buttermilk to butter. Stir briefly. Add carbquik. Mix well. Dump out onto a well floured board. Sprinkle flour on top and press dough down to an even thickness- about 1/2". Cut into squares by pressing down with a plastic ruler. Place each square on a foil lined baking pan, about 1/2" apart.

Place pan in top shelf in oven and turn oven off. Check after 8 minutes. If the bottom looks brown but the top pale, put the broiler on for 20 seconds, turn off and then wait a minute. Repeating as necessary.

Notes

This biscuit isn't flaky, but it's still a good biscuit. I've tried many attempts at flaky biscuits- fussing with cutting in the butter a whole bunch of different ways- all without success. Nuking the butter makes this recipe so much easier. Kevin's biscuit looks flaky. When I get a chance I'll give that a try.

My baking technique was born out of my biscuits constantly burning on the bottom from the radiant heat from the electrical element. The temperature of the oven is a lot more consistent with the oven off. It starts at 500 and, by the time the biscuits are done, it's around 400.

Buttermilk can vary tremendously in viscosity. Sometimes this recipe will produce a wet gloppy dough and other times stiff. You want it on the stiff side. If the buttermilk is extra runny, add more carbquik. Once mixed, the dough shouldn't stick to the spoon or the bowl.

A single batch takes about 10 to 14 minutes. When I double it, it takes a while longer- 12 to 16 minutes.

I know I'm making this sound pretty complicated, but that's just me. After making these once or twice, this recipe is a breeze.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:09 PM   #1107
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: marlena
Quote:
Originally Posted by eko42
I used the same recipe and had the same results. Also, the dough was so sticky and wet I couldn't have kneaded it if I wanted to. I just made drop biscuits and they didn't rise and were dry and crumbly. I don't know what could have gone wrong. I can follow a recipe and I am a decent baker. Everyone else raves about these but I am leery to try again as this stuff is too pricey to waste.

If anyone has any other tips or suggestions for us it would be greatly appreciated. I was so looking forward to being able to eat biscuits with my homemade soup and chili this winter.

TIA,
Erin---
The problem may be the carb quick is old and the rising stuff in it has died.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:59 AM   #1108
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Scott, I will try your recipe. By the way, have you tried using lard for flakiness?
Old 07-25-2006, 06:13 AM   #1109
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Haven't tried lard, but thanks, that's a good idea. At some point I'll probably give green crisco a shot also.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:54 PM   #1110
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Julievan
Easy Doughtnut Holes

I am looking for a recipe that i got for making doughtnut holes with carb quick it got ruinned i made these and liked them can someone help thanks