Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2005, 07:06 AM   #1051
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Cranberry Shortcake Biscuits

Woo-hoo -they turned out great! Definitely going on the Thanksgiving table in place of dinner rolls!
(I'm thinking these would be great sandwich makers with leftover turkey, too).

* Exported from MasterCook *
Cranberry Shortcake Biscuits

Recipe By : Dottie
Serving Size : 12
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups Carbquick Baking Mix
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup Splenda Granular Sweetener -- divided
1 cup fresh cranberries
1 pinch nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup water
2 Tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons splenda Granular Sweetener

In a saucepan mix cranberries, 1/4 cup splenda and water. Bring to a simmer until the berries just start to pop. Mash lightly and set aside to cool.
Preheat oven to 350f. Spray a 12 muffin tin or a cookie sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
Mix Carbquick. nutmeg, cinnamon, remaining 1/2 cup splenda, baking soda and buttermilk. Fold in the cranberries and drop on cookie sheet or lightly roll into balls and place in muffin tin.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Brush tops with melted butter and sprinkle with remaining splenda. Bake another 3-4 minutes until browned a little more.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving: 98 Calories; 6g Fat (40.0% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 6mg Cholesterol; 94mg Sodium.

NOTES : *Add a few more tablespoons of buttermilk if needed.
**If you don't care for the taste of buttermilk, leave out baking soda and sub 1/4 cup heavy cream and 1/4 cup water mixed together for the buttermilk.

Edit to add: I probably did this the hard way. Folding the cranberry mixture into the dough was tough. Next time, I'll let the cranberry mixture cool completely and add the buttermilk to that, then add that to the dry ingredients.

Also: Might replace 1/2 the buttermilk with 1/2 cup pumpkin puree.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2005, 09:59 AM   #1052
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2005
I tried my traditional biscuit recipe using carbquick and it did not rise (even adding a Tblsp of baking powder). It's a basic recipe, nothing tricky--flour, shortening, baking powder and I used hood carb countdown milk for the LC version instead of buttermilk. Do carbquick biscuits rise like regular biscuits for everyone else? I even tried a lower oven temp but it didn't help. I also noticed a kinda cornmeal taste to it.

I tried another with a combo of carbquick, carbalose and wheat gluten and it didn't have that cornmeal taste and rose a little (still not like regular biscuits though) but there's alot more carbs there.

Last edited by jackieba; 12-26-2005 at 10:08 AM..
Old 02-01-2006, 07:14 AM   #1053
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Debbi58
lowcarb mix

arggg having an awful time trying to get this stuff.. I dont want to have to order online if I dont have to.
I did find it thru an Amish Store near Penn Yan NY ..it was suppose to be there yesterday.. I just called to see if it was in .. and they said its on back order!!
I have been doing the Induction pancakes . but.. dont have anymore to do them.. Seems like I read someplace that you can make your own? Anyone know on that.. or maybe I read it on another forum but I thought it was here..
Thanks for anyone who can help .

Debbi~
Old 02-01-2006, 11:58 AM   #1054
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbi53
arggg having an awful time trying to get this stuff.. I dont want to have to order online if I dont have to.
I did find it thru an Amish Store near Penn Yan NY ..it was suppose to be there yesterday.. I just called to see if it was in .. and they said its on back order!!
I have been doing the Induction pancakes . but.. dont have anymore to do them.. Seems like I read someplace that you can make your own? Anyone know on that.. or maybe I read it on another forum but I thought it was here..

Debbi~
This might be it:
Homemade Bisquick Mix, lc, to replace Carbquick

50 g Wheat Protein Isolate
100 g Almond flour
50 g Whey
3 t Baking Powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 c coconut oil
1 t xanthan gum

Mix the dry ing, then cut the coconut oil in till quite fine. Makes roughly 3 cups
Old 02-01-2006, 01:27 PM   #1055
Junior LCF Member

Thanks

Will have to find the stuff to make it out.. when you say.. g . is that for grams?
Thank you for your help
Old 02-01-2006, 08:42 PM   #1056
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbi53

Debbi~

Debbi, are you talking about Carbquik or Atkins Bake Mix? It sounded more like you might be talking about the Atkins Bake Mix.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:52 PM   #1057
Junior LCF Member

Thanks

I was meaning the low carb baking mix.. I have been using that.. its made by Bob's Red Mill?

LOW-CARB BAKING MIX
Bob's Red Mill Low-Carb Baking Mix can be used cup-for-cup in recipes calling for other brands of low-carb baking mixes. It is a delightful blend of all-natural ingredients, including high fiber oat bran, wheat bran, soy flour and whole grain flaxseed meal, so you can be sure that the few carbs you do eat are nutritious. It's incredible easy to use for making delicious pancakes, muffins, quick breads and more!

I did order a case but.. just waiting to get it.. it was on back order.. so now I have to wait until next tuesday to go get it.
For those in New York State.. I found mine for $3.99 for a lb pkg. a case was 15.96 .. but the shipping is what gets you.. I ordered it from an Amish store in that area..After ordering this.. I hope they keep it in stock.. I do have to pay $2.00 for shipping to the store but its still cheaper then getting it online .Well for me it is.. Its about a 40 minute drive to get there..

But back to the mix.. I thought perhaps I could make some .. just to hold me over until next week..
Thank you for offereing help on this..
Debbi~
Old 04-14-2006, 10:24 AM   #1058
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lscoop
Stats: 115, maintaining
WOE: Mostly raw, organic, low-glycemic
Start Date: 8/05
CarbQuik Flour

I didn't find that CarbQuik slowed me down particularly, but each person is different. Some of the low-carb pastas, like Dreamfields, did slow me down somewhat. If you're just starting I would recommend that you go for a while without it, however, so that you can get a feel for how you are doing and get some real success. After that happens, you can add it in small increments to your diet and see what happens, and decide based on that how much or little you can use it. It's a great item to have on maintenance, but in your first phase I'd try to avoid it.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:09 AM   #1059
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: murraychar
I have used it a couple of times. Started out with half carbquik and half regular bisquik. Pancakes were good. Next time, it was 2/3 carbquik and 1/3 bisquik. We liked the pancakes. Next attempt will be the biscuits and pancakes without bisquik. Also found a great pancake syrup sweetened with Splenda. Tastes great!
Old 05-16-2006, 02:51 PM   #1060
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SugarBabi
WOE: My Own Type Of Low Carb
Start Date: 2/12/2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraychar
I have used it a couple of times. Started out with half carbquik and half regular bisquik. Pancakes were good. Next time, it was 2/3 carbquik and 1/3 bisquik. We liked the pancakes. Next attempt will be the biscuits and pancakes without bisquik. Also found a great pancake syrup sweetened with Splenda. Tastes great!
What brand of syrup did you find please?
Old 05-23-2006, 12:44 PM   #1061
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ThisDAR
I am a diabetic and am wondering if any diabetics have tested their BGLs after eating Carbquick. I would like to try it, but want to make sure I wouldn't be wasting my money on something that shoots my blood sugar up, no matter what the label says. (I just had that happen with Dreamfields pasta.)
Old 05-23-2006, 05:49 PM   #1062
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DASanders
Stats: 195/150/125
Start Date: February 2004
[COLOR=DarkRed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisDAR
I am a diabetic and am wondering if any diabetics have tested their BGLs after eating Carbquick. I would like to try it, but want to make sure I wouldn't be wasting my money on something that shoots my blood sugar up, no matter what the label says. (I just had that happen with Dreamfields pasta.)
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]I am diabetic too and I've had no problems with Carbquick, but then, I've had no problems with Dreamfield's either. What did you eat with the pasta?

Unfortunately, different things effect us in different ways. What effects you may not effect me (and visa versa).

Denice[/COLOR]
Old 05-23-2006, 10:56 PM   #1063
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASanders
[COLOR=DarkRed][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]I am diabetic too and I've had no problems with Carbquick, but then, I've had no problems with Dreamfield's either. What did you eat with the pasta?

Unfortunately, different things effect us in different ways. What effects you may not effect me (and visa versa).

Denice[/COLOR]
I only added butter to the pasta and ate nothing else with it. It raised my BGL around 50 points. It could have been more; I tested 2 hours before and 2 hours after eating what was advertised as 10g of "digestible carbs." 10g of carbs usually affects me very little, if at all, especially with the amount of fiber the pasta supposedly contains; the added fat should have slowed the glucose response, too.

I'd really like to try the Carbquick, but am leery of things that seem too good to be true. I try very hard to control my BGLs and hate it when products are falsely advertised. (I don't trust "net carb" counts; half of sugar alcohols count as carbs.) However, I have found some low carb things that live up to their low carb status and still taste good.

Maybe I'll start with a small package of Carbquick and test to see how it affects me. You're right that we all react differently to different things. I can't handle oatbran in more than microscopic amounts, yet I keep reading about how wonderful it is for diabetics.

Thanks for your input.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:53 PM   #1064
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rrosser
I am insulin dependent and CQ has never bothered me at all.

Dreamfield's however is another story. It raises me big time no matter how small of a portion I eat. I'm not one to try it once and if it raises me I don't eat it anymore rither. No matter how many times I've eaten it the first day I cooked it I shoot right on up. Now leftovers are a different matter. I have froze it and when I ate it a few days later I didn't have a big surge and a few times I even hypoed. Go figure...........................

Last edited by rrosser; 05-24-2006 at 04:58 PM..
Old 05-25-2006, 02:24 AM   #1065
Junior LCF Member

Diabetic Reactions to LC Foods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrosser
I am insulin dependent and CQ has never bothered me at all.

Dreamfield's however is another story. It raises me big time no matter how small of a portion I eat. I'm not one to try it once and if it raises me I don't eat it anymore rither. No matter how many times I've eaten it the first day I cooked it I shoot right on up. Now leftovers are a different matter. I have froze it and when I ate it a few days later I didn't have a big surge and a few times I even hypoed. Go figure...........................

I am Type I too and I have problems with soy and some of the other "flours" and nuts. I think it is very wise to keep away from the sugar alcohols. The entire concept is foreign to me. When I read the lablel and it says 9501 carbs - 9498 sugar alcohol and -2 net fiber = 1 net carb.... well, something is too good to be true there, at least for me.

I guess we all have to live and learn in what works for us individually. I haven't used the carbquick in some time now. I have been using the flour that is in carbquick. Sorry, I am at a loss for the name. I lost my mother 2 days ago and my mental functions are not their best.

I hope that you find something that works for you so that you can have a treat every now and then.

Denice
Old 05-25-2006, 08:51 AM   #1066
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mariemus
Stats: 160/151/135
Start Date: Restart Dec, 2009
I bought the Atkins flour the other day, is this similar to carbquick? Does anyone knows? Or do I have to buy carbquick to make all of these recipes?
Marie
Old 05-25-2006, 09:06 AM   #1067
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Denice, so sorry for your loss!! Hugs to you and your family.

Marie, the last time I bought Atkins mix it was predominately soy based and I hated the taste of it. Don't know if that's still true but *I* wouldn't try to substitute the Atkins in recipes calling for Carbquik - JMHO!

Char
Old 05-25-2006, 08:02 PM   #1068
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASanders
I am Type I too and I have problems with soy and some of the other "flours" and nuts. I think it is very wise to keep away from the sugar alcohols. The entire concept is foreign to me. When I read the lablel and it says 9501 carbs - 9498 sugar alcohol and -2 net fiber = 1 net carb.... well, something is too good to be true there, at least for me.

I guess we all have to live and learn in what works for us individually. I haven't used the carbquick in some time now. I have been using the flour that is in carbquick. Sorry, I am at a loss for the name. I lost my mother 2 days ago and my mental functions are not their best.

I hope that you find something that works for you so that you can have a treat every now and then.

Denice
I'm so sorry about your mother. I hope the stress of the situation isn't messing with your glucose control.

I'm a Type 2 who doesn't use insulin (yet anyway), so I can't cover the carbs I eat with insulin. I take a small dose of Metformin, but rely mostly on what I eat to control my BGLs.

It's too bad there isn't a formula that works for everyone (and every time!), but sharing our experiences with each other gives us a starting point anyway. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:40 AM   #1069
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ahaire
Stats: 242/ 184.2 as of 08/31/05
WOE: Low Glycemic
Start Date: June 2003
Just wanted to bump this up. I have been reading this the last few days and am getting some great ideas. I am eagerly awaiting my first order of the carb quick that is supposed to be here June 1st. Can't wait to try it. I am going to make some strawberry shortcake first as I have some fresh strawberrys in the fridge that I need to get used and then I think I will try some chocolate brownies for DH who is not doing LC but did give up sugar this last September. I am sure he will be thrilled. Now I wish I had gotten some of the chocolate chips as well.Oh will I will just have to make due...

MY body. MY life. MY health. MY happiness
Old 05-26-2006, 11:30 AM   #1070
Junior LCF Member

Thank you for your sweet notes. My mother was a very special woman and I will miss her so very much. Your expressions of regret and hope for me is very much appreciated.

My blood sugars are all over that place right now, but I am trying to stay on top of things.

If you don't have to take insulin and can mostly control with diet and exercise you are doing a very good job. I hope that you stay healthy and enjoy life. That attitude is a big part of our lives as diabetics.

Much love to you,
Denice
Old 05-31-2006, 08:03 PM   #1071
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dantesmama
Stats: 252/236/130
Start Date: April 2006
I love love love Carbquik I just ordered a 5 lb bag of it from Netrition and I use it for all kinds of things, pancakes, cobbler, and also as a breading to fry my chicken and veggies.

I think it's great (can you tell )

Ok I'm off to bake some biscuits to have with my sf jelly 2 grams of carb jelly cakes.. ohh yeah
Old 06-03-2006, 07:29 AM   #1072
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: jackieba
Start Date: October 2005
The flour that's in Carbquik is Carbalose. I actually use that more than Carbquik now--it has more carbs because it doesn't have all the other stuff added but for the same reason it doesn't have nearly the weird aftertaste, atleast to my tastebuds.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:41 PM   #1073
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Location: MANHATTAN NYC - click on ''MAMZELLE" directly below for more photos.
Gallery: MAMZELLE
Stats: LIFETIME MANTENANCE
WOE: ATKINS "ORIGINAL" DIET - why tamper with success!!
Start Date: as Patient when the Maestro's FIRST book came out
Hi everyone. Haven't read the thread yet, want to get this posted first, but are there any diabetics who are using the Carbquick. I have a big order for Netrition that I'm putting through probably tomorrow, including the 5 lb. bag of Carbquik this time, and can't decide what to get for flour/thickener of soups and foods, and if it's better or just AS good as Thickenthin... haven't tried thickenthin at all yet, only Carbquik, but T&T is far less economical......

I bought my first box and it's almost empty, lasting a LONG time because I'm not a 'baker' but do mix some into my eggs so they taste a little like pancakes with the DaVinci pancake syrup but it's mostly eggs, and I also do a lot of chicken Piccata with a thin coating which is out of this world......

I didn't pay too much attention to my blood readings after the carbquick [and use it so seldom] because the day in it's entirety hadn't noticeably spiked me, so I have to assume it's ok and I hadn't really used that much of it, but I'm wondering if anyone's used guar gum [more for baking] and the Xan thing [more for foods.... forgot the spelling lol] and if it's a better thickener than carbquik...... also if thickenthin is better than carbquik for light breading and thickening of soups and sauces or are carbquik and thickenthin the same? I'm also hypertensive, with possible thyroid problems [high TPO antibody count]. Anyone have similar ailments and have experience with any or all of these thickeners / frying coatings and have HOME tested their sugar with them? Thanks. [I posted this on another Carbquik board too, in case you think you're seeing double lol].

Last edited by MAMZELLE; 06-05-2006 at 08:08 PM..
Old 06-05-2006, 08:29 PM   #1074
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMZELLE
Hi everyone. Haven't read the thread yet, want to get this posted first, but are there any diabetics who are using the Carbquick. I have a big order for Netrition that I'm putting through probably tomorrow, including the 5 lb. bag of Carbquik this time, and can't decide what to get for flour/thickener of soups and foods, and if it's better or just AS good as Thickenthin... haven't tried thickenthin at all yet, only Carbquik, but T&T is far less economical......

I bought my first box and it's almost empty, lasting a LONG time because I'm not a 'baker' but do mix some into my eggs so they taste a little like pancakes with the DaVinci pancake syrup but it's mostly eggs, and I also do a lot of chicken Piccata with a thin coating which is out of this world......

I didn't pay too much attention to my blood readings after the carbquick [and use it so seldom] because the day in it's entirety hadn't noticeably spiked me, so I have to assume it's ok and I hadn't really used that much of it, but I'm wondering if anyone's used guar gum [more for baking] and the Xan thing [more for foods.... forgot the spelling lol] and if it's a better thickener than carbquik...... also if thickenthin is better than carbquik for light breading and thickening of soups and sauces or are carbquik and thickenthin the same? I'm also hypertensive, with possible thyroid problems [high TPO antibody count]. Anyone have similar ailments and have experience with any or all of these thickeners / frying coatings and have HOME tested their sugar with them? Thanks. [I posted this on another Carbquik board too, in case you think you're seeing double lol].

I'm not diabetic, but I CAN tell you this:
  • the guar gum, the xanthan gum and the ThickenThin not/Sugar and not/Starch products are all pure soluble fiber, no net carbs at all. Great thickeners in very very small amounts, especially for things like stir fries and "au jus", so it's actually quite economical. 85 uses per large pouch of the ThickenThin not/Starch, for example. Not so good as coating agents.
  • the Carbquik and the Carbalose (same thing without the rising agent and the fats, like Bisquik and Flour) acts more like flour and is made from enzyme modified wheat, so will thicken more like flour -- like in pot pies or heavy gravy -- (and takes as much or more as flour and definitely more than the soluble vegetable gums above) and definitely has net carbs which will affect the more "sensitive" diabetics, as well as any with a wheat or gluten intolerance.

Hope this helps you out a little. I keep all of the above in the house, each has its own purpose.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:38 PM   #1075
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Thanks, yes this is very helpful, fantastic, in fact. I wanted to get all of them too [except only try ONE of the gums at first, not both] but my cart is already at $154 AFTER already editing things out from restocking from Netrition! So I just wanted to include the Carbquik 5 lb bag because I HAVE liked it and always want it in the house and also was figuring on the guar, and also considering the Thickenthin, hearing everyone talk about it for over 2 years here, but didn't get it before because I really never did use flour till I got the Carbquik now wondering the difference, since never having been a ''flour child'' before *smile*.....and loosely following Atkins all my life, I never fried things but, when becoming diabetic, one tends to need more variety and experimentation, so I'm having fun with it, in very small amounts.......

Yes, the woman at Netrition did tell me that 227 g's are 8 oz. [they don't state that on the site] and requires only 1 teaspoon per cup, and has 85 tspns in the bag, But between Carbquik and Thickenthin, I really don't want to spend over $30 dollars on FLOUR, which is why I was wondering which of THOSE two I should get, and if Thickenthin was better for coating purposes than Carbquick and also about the sugar spiking factor [Guar is already in my cart, but which would be better, the guar or xanthan..... glucose and thyroid-wise, or is there no difference between the two of those gums for Diabetes] I chose the Guar by price at first, and if it was acceptable, figured who needs the one [X] that's double the price. Still not absolutely clear on that. I now understand that it's only a thickener but flour ALSO thickens things so it has more of a dual purpose than the gums which ONLY thicken and don't 'coat' for light frying. I've had that straight lol......

I've only lately ''BECOME'' a sensitive Diabetic, and never was, and have always controlled successfully with foods and no meds, and my strictness with myself has been wearing thin [which I'm sure happens with everyone in time] so making the foods I've been eating harmlessly more interesting, will keep me away from other things, though even a nibble here and there is also very rare, since I don't keep much in the house except dark chocolate which I sometimes eat a half of the 2x oz bars of sugar free [1.25 oz] and, which I KNOW are no good but figure it's better than sugar so that's my only real treat once in while that's forbidden. Now netrition has the NO ALCOHOL SF chocolate chips and that was one of my biggest incentives to get the order through this week! I can't wait to try the choco chips, and wonder if anyone has and what they taste like? I'm not a sweets person [I'm a pasta / Dreamfields fanatic and eggplant parmesan lol] but my dark semi-sweet chocolate is running a close second, and I HOPE these are decent tasting...... anyone know?.....

So let me get this straight..... the Thickenthin is a 'healthier' thickener and coating [all fiber and no carbs at ALL] but the Carbquik is more like flour and fries/coats better than Thickenthin. And the gums are only thickeners and don't coat at all [which I did know], So I still don't know if I need both thickenthin, and the carbquik lol..... if not wanting to spend 30 bucks right now on both and still don't know which of THOSE to get. The Thickenthin is better for glucose situations. But if the Carbquik doesn't really raise my sugar, I guess I can get away with that. These are such large amounts [hmmm although the T&T is only 8 oz] and of course I can get a smaller carbquik but I like buying in volume to always having things in the house [don't even ASK how much dreamfields in all shapes and DaVinci's and other things I buy in ridiculous volume, I'm really bad] but those I've always used and are my staples so it's different than spending so much on flour which will be here for 100 years because of how little I use it. Whew, did that all make sense. But your breakdown was very succinct! I would love to get all of them, as you say, because of all the virtues of each, but not yet, so which would you choose..... guar or Xan...... Carbquik or Thickenthin. At least just NOW I only want to get one of each. I know I'll be ordering more so that can go in the next order. Which would you choose of each if diabetic and thyroid worried as well. Your breakdowns were beautiful and so clear, thanks so much.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:11 AM   #1076
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
MAMZELLE, I haven't used guar gum or ThickenThin myself, but I do use xanthan gum all the time. I've heard that guar gum doesn't work well with cold liquids. Xanthan gum will thicken both cold and hot liquids. ThickenThin is a combination of guar and xanthan and a couple other gums and I've heard lots of good reviews of it. 8 ounces of any of them should last you a very long time (years???).

As far as flour for coating and breading, I would get Carbalose flour instead of Carbquik unless you intend to make pancakes and biscuits. Carbalose doesn't have those bits of fat in it so you'd get a smoother, more even coating of flour.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:09 AM   #1077
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theislandgirl
Stats: forever and ever
WOE: Atkins/PP/semi-paleo
Start Date: July 1998
I agree with LindaSue, and would add that
  • I would get the ThickenThin not/Starch because it's easier to use, doesn't clump as much and has the best (none) flavor, whereas Guar alone has a bit of an aftertaste I don't care for, Xanthan not so much but still not as all round useful as the blend in ThickenThin, which will last a long long time (so no caselot required).
  • I would get the Carbalose for the reasons LindaSue mentioned, and if you want a long term supply, get at least 1 5 pound bag and be sure to either freeze it or vacuum bag it.

All of the above presumes you like to cook, because they are definitely cook's ingredients. Enjoy.

Old 06-06-2006, 02:53 PM   #1078
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Now i'm even mroe confused [and i don't have a facility to vaccum pack nor the need for one, and no extra room even in my big side by side freezer ever]. So i still don't know what to do. Yes, I do need it for pancakes also, [though not for baking] and for sauteeing/light frying..... i don't care about lumps or smoothness. but although I don't restrict fats, the thought of lumps of fat isn't very apetizing but I DO make pancakes with the carbquick and you say I can't with carbulose? I'm totally confused with all these variables of 5 products.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:23 PM   #1079
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

these are my functions, tell me what is best.....

thickening soups [because I can't eat the thick one's from cans and they've discontinued the GOOD low carb ones and thick soup is my favorite thing.
thickening sauces. [I'm into Chinese cooking lately, but for ALL sauces that i want to try making]
pancakes
thickening ANYTHING that needs thickening, like my own soups too.
I don't care how it LOOKS, not about smoothness, it's only for ME and i've never cared about that. Not that particular
So what's the best for Diabetics and high BP too. There are so many all with different properties and good and bad features so I still don't know what's right for ME.
It just has to be NO sugar spiking, and ok for low thyroid and to THICKEN, period lol Didn't think this would be so complicated.....
Oh, and cheap as possible for a good volume with NO freezer storage or fridge.... those are always too full and no room as it is. I just keep the carbquik OUT.
I also don't like the idea of the Guar having an after [or DURING lol] taste so now i'm already turned off to that. The stuff sounds disgusting enough as it is...... by the name GUM :-(......in fact, even the word GUAR too. Who the hell named THAT for something that's supposed to be EDIBLE. UGH.

Last edited by MAMZELLE; 06-06-2006 at 03:31 PM..
Old 06-06-2006, 08:37 PM   #1080
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/155/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
Well, I can see why it's confusing with all these products available. I can just tell you about my experiences with some of this stuff.

I love to use Carbquik to bread chicken, fish, or cube steak. I've pan-fried and deep-fried with it and it makes a very satisfactory crust. The lumps seem to be irrelevant. I've used Carbalose too, but I generally like the Carbquik better. I buy 5-lb. bags and haven't had any problem keeping them in an airtight container in the cupboard for months.

Carbquik makes excellent pancakes. I don't know about Carbalose. I used the Carbalose to thicken a sauce when making Linda Sue's Creamed Chicken. I detected an aftertaste that I don't care for so I haven't made it again.

I use Xanthan gum occasionally, but such a little goes a long way. You have to be careful not to overdo or you get a pasty taste. I use a pinch in my homemade protein shakes to help thicken them.

I haven't had much luck making actual "gravies" with it. I never like the taste. BTW, for a white "gravy", I melt 8-oz cream cheese and thin it with 3/4 cup of cream. It's fabulous over chicken, cube steaks, or pork chops.

I hope you are happy with whatever you end up ordering. I know it's hard sometimes to find just what you're looking for.
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one