Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2005, 06:40 PM   #961
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DASanders
Stats: 195/150/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 2004
Sorry you didn't like the brownies

Did you use the 1/2 cup of chocolate cocoa the recipe calls for? I am sorry you didn't like them. Mine came out very chocolatey.

Once again, I am sorry you didn't care for them.

Denice

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2005, 07:38 PM   #962
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KellyMarie38
Stats: 144.8-136.8-135.8-130 & tone-5'7" tall
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 07/2001
Re: Sorry you didn't like the brownies

Uh oh, dh just told me that he used 12 drops of the liquid splenda vs. 4 Tbsp Liquid Splenda. Ugh, will have to try it again tomorrow.

Kelly
(or equivalent to 1 cup SF sweetener)
Quote:
Originally posted by DASanders
Did you use the 1/2 cup of chocolate cocoa the recipe calls for? I am sorry you didn't like them. Mine came out very chocolatey.

Once again, I am sorry you didn't care for them.

Denice
Old 02-17-2005, 09:15 PM   #963
Junior LCF Member

Which type of liquid Splenda?

Kelly,
I used the Fiber Fit form of Liquid Splenda. Just in case your DH used the other type. I don't want you to get something so sweet you run toward the restroom cursing my name with a voodoo doll of me in one hand.

Denice
Old 02-18-2005, 05:22 AM   #964
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: suzg
Stats: 178/139/120
Start Date: Sept'03
Carbquik website

Does TovaRep still come in here? I'm hoping so, as I am concerned about the Carbquik website being down for DAYS.

I DON'T want to lose another low carb product that I use reguarly and LOVE.

Anyone have a clue what's up? I emailed the company a few days ago, and haven't heard anything back.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:26 AM   #965
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mahyde
Stats: 119/110/110
WOE: moderate carbs/Zone
Start Date: April 2001
I just checked the website and it is fine, up and running.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:40 AM   #966
Tom
Administrator

Gallery: Tom
Carbquik is not being discontinued. Don't worry.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:16 PM   #967
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: griffin
WOE: atkins/moderate
Start Date: november 04
i can get in , i would forward it to you but i dont know how to pm
Old 02-18-2005, 05:22 PM   #968
Junior LCF Member

TY for reply

Thank you for your response Tom. I wasn't too worried about Carbquick being discontinued. I just received my latest order for 5 of the 3 lb. boxes and some other goodies. I am building up my collection of Da Vinci syrups!

I like to go to the Carbquick website and look for new recipes on occasion and it is a bit unnerving to go to a fav site and find that it is missing.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.

Denice
Old 02-19-2005, 07:35 AM   #969
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: rowdy1
Stats: 5'5"..currently way tooooooooo much!!
WOE: carb monitoring w/yocheese
Start Date: 9/03...terminal uphill battle
Thanks for the info everyone. I'm anxiously waiting my first box of Carbquick and I'd really like to be able to find the recipes to make it with!! All help is appreciated because I am not a 'puter guru by any means. I've been cutting and pasting recipes from this thread...so I've got some things to work with.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:57 AM   #970
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
The box itself has quite a few recipes, the 3 pounder at least has them INSIDE as well! LOL!

And all the recipes on this forum are worthy of trying - I just made the cornbread last night with Carbquik, poly-d and corn bran and it is AWESOME!

Char
Old 02-20-2005, 12:31 AM   #971
Live. Love. Lounge.

Gallery: TheBluegrassBabe
Stats: 280+/236/Healthy! 5'8"
WOE: Primalish Atkins :)
Start Date: back at it 8/6/2012
Wanna try! :)

I'll have to wait till after induction though!
Old 02-26-2005, 07:42 PM   #972
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: rowdy1
Stats: 5'5"..currently way tooooooooo much!!
WOE: carb monitoring w/yocheese
Start Date: 9/03...terminal uphill battle
Not sure which Carbquick thread to post this on. Just made the biscuits according to HaleysNana..... turned out beautfully! Tasted very, very good! Worth the 5 carbs per biscuit for sure. I think the next time I will try this recipe w/some Hood's lc milk to knock off some of the buttermilk carbs. Thanks, HaleysNana!

Oh and so ,so simple!
Old 02-27-2005, 01:07 PM   #973
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ataran
WOE: Low Carb
Did you notice that they are selling (or going to sell) "CarbStuffers (Frozen Stuffed Pockets) products will be available soon at your local grocer."

I wish their web site were more professional looking. I'll bet that whoever is doing it is sure learning a lot while they are at it tho.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:18 PM   #974
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TovaRep
I apologize for the brief downtime and bad links on part of the Carbalose web page. If there are any other problems with the site, just post them and they'll be taken care of.

All those links should now be fixed. Thanks for the input.

Last edited by TovaRep; 02-27-2005 at 03:25 PM..
Old 02-27-2005, 04:14 PM   #975
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vanessa120
Stats: 189/130 size 2-4 5'4"
WOE: Low Carb Real Food
Start Date: Low Carb Since 2001
The Monte Cristo Sandwich link does not work........
Old 02-27-2005, 04:17 PM   #976
Major LCF Poster!

or the Bagel link......
Old 02-27-2005, 04:26 PM   #977
Major LCF Poster!

the rest of the links work for me ----- THANKS!
Old 03-02-2005, 07:49 AM   #978
txjohn

Gallery: txjohn
lumps in Carbquik

Has anyone else had this problem with their Carbquik? I don't mean the lumps that sort of dissolve later on in the cooking, but lumps that stay hard white lumps even after the cooking process... I love the taste of the finished recipes, but these remaining lumps are terrible, just hard lumps of flour about pea size. Am I supposed to be sifting? I tried that with one recipe and wound up with a terrible mess in my sifter. Have been wondering if the cold damp weather when the product was shipped to me might have had an effect like this. I left it sitting on my countertop for 3 days before opening and am storing the contents of the box in my pantry in a tupperware container.

Lumps aside, I have made the Carbquik Brownies, the Cheddar Bay Biscuits, a couple of the Impossible pies, and really like this product.

DH and I are on Maintenance and have had no ill effects from Carbquik. In fact, DH is still losing even tho we would rather he not lose any more weight.

txjohn

Old 03-02-2005, 08:02 AM   #979
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Over50Mom
Stats: 160/110/120 5'0"
Start Date: October 19, 2003
txjohn,

Yes, I've had the same problem with Carbquik and the larger lumps that don't dissolve in the cooking process. I've used up at least 3 big boxes of Carbquik, and they've all been the same so I don't think there's anything wrong with the way you're storing it. Recently I've been trying to break up any of the larger lumps before I add liquid to a recipe. That seems to help a lot. The lumps appear to be whatever Carbquik has in it for "shortening".
Old 03-02-2005, 08:11 AM   #980
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Regarding lumps in Carbquik

When I made Oven-Fried Chicken, I put Carbquik in a plastic bag, added the chicken pieces, sealed and shook the bag to coat the chicken. After I removed the chicken from the bag, I was left with a bag full of those shortening lumps. At least I'm pretty sure that's what they were.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:25 AM   #981
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Criosa
Stats: 240/171/150
WOE: hhCG, Low Carb
Start Date: In and out since 2003
I have a feeling the lumps are more for creating a flaky biscuit. A few second in the food processor helps break them up for recipes not needing the shortening type pockets.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:55 AM   #982
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BettyR
WOE: maderate carbs
Start Date: 1/15/04
Quote:
Originally posted by Criosa
I have a feeling the lumps are more for creating a flaky biscuit. A few second in the food processor helps break them up for recipes not needing the shortening type pockets.
I've been doing the same thing, zapping it in the food processor for breading.

I make almost all my baked goods in the food processor so I haven't had any problem with them not cooking.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:25 AM   #983
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
If you're going to process it to get rid of the lumps, make sure to do that AFTER measuring it or you may end up using more than you should. If you weigh your Carbquik, that won't matter.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:42 AM   #984
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Begete
Stats: 3/24/13 188.4/165/140 Restart 2/16. 171/157.4/130
Start Date: 2/1/2003 at 199
Hi - Can anyone please tell me exactly how many carbs/net carbs are in the Carbquik chocolate chip cookies, as per the recipe posted on their site months ago?

I do substitute 1 cup of walnut or almond flour for one cup of carbquik, and i add at least a cup of walnuts.

I have seen "2 net carbs" per cookie posted in several places, but when I calculate I am coming closer to 13 total, 7 net.

Help!! Thank you.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:43 AM   #985
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lscoop
Stats: 115, maintaining
WOE: Mostly raw, organic, low-glycemic
Start Date: 8/05
Hi Begete-
It might be possible that your calculations are off because you are over-counting the amount of net carbs in CarbQuick if you are using the box as a guide. Due to rounding requirements, your count will be too high if you use the box. If you go back in this thread you will see that there are several postings giving the actual count per 110 grams of CarbQuick (my memory is rusty, but I believe that 110 grams is a cup, and the net carb count is 6.1). If you use that number hopefully you will come up with the proper carb count for the cookie recipe. Hope this helps~
Old 03-06-2005, 10:45 AM   #986
Junior LCF Member

Carbquick Lumps

[COLOR=darkred]This only happened to me once. Many of the recipes need to be worked for several minutes prior to baking. For cakes I generally beat for 3 minutes or more. For the impossible pies I put the ingredients into the blender for 1 to 2 minutes at a high setting. I also mix my wet ingredients first and incorporate my dry ingredients when I am finished blending my wet ingredients together. (Did that make sense?)

My problem comes into play when it comes to making gravies for stews and other dishes that need a gravy. I have never had a problem making rouxes for gravy, but I just don't seem to have the knack for making stew with carbquick. It thins out and has a gritty, floury taste and feel. DISGUSTING! I know that it has to be something I am doing incorrectly since I've read other recipes on this board that have been a great success. I've even gone back (over and over) to following recipes posted that have gravy or roux instructions. But, to no avail. I am gravy impaired.

Have a wonderful Sunday.

Denice

[/COLOR]
Old 03-06-2005, 10:47 AM   #987
Junior LCF Member

OOPS!

My reply was regarding the lump problem found in carbquick recipes. It sure didn't make sense coming after the 2 posts above. Sorry!

Denice
Old 03-06-2005, 02:33 PM   #988
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hirezmary
Stats: 195/160/145
WOE: Semi-Atkins
Start Date: January 2005
Chef Greg's Rolls

Hello, first a quick Intro:
I'm new to these forums. I just starting LC diet in Jan. I'm down about 10 lbs so far. It's not happening as quickly as I'd hope but then I'm 46 and my metabolism is pretty sluggish. I also don't get any time to exercise with holding down 2 jobs, but I'm hoping I can eventually squeeze a little in if I lose more and get some energy back.
I've been reading various threads for a couple days and I think it's great how supportive you are to each other.
Anyway, to the point now. I purchased the CQ product about a week ago and tried the cheese biscuits, which were pretty good. I also tried Chef Greg's Yeast roll recipe that he posted, but I wasn't at all happy with it. They just looked like slightly larger biscuists, nothing like rolls. They didnt rise much and I even gave them a full hr and a half. All I can think of is that maybe it needs more time during the kneading process. Has anyone tried this recipe and is little kneading best or alot of keading. (I used my dough hook on my machine).
Also, I know the yeast was good as if puffed up fine when combined with the 1 T of sugar and water.
I'm not a huge fan of biscuits or anything heavy, so I'm really hoping for some suggestions on either how to make a more bread-like product or at least something much lighter than the biscuits. Thanks in advance!!

Mary
Old 03-06-2005, 04:10 PM   #989
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BettyR
WOE: maderate carbs
Start Date: 1/15/04
Re: Chef Greg's Rolls

Quote:
Originally posted by hirezmary
Hello, first a quick Intro:
I purchased the CQ product about a week ago and tried the cheese biscuits, which were pretty good. I also tried Chef Greg's Yeast roll recipe that he posted, but I wasn't at all happy with it. They just looked like slightly larger biscuists, nothing like rolls. They didnt rise much and I even gave them a full hr and a half. All I can think of is that maybe it needs more time during the kneading process. Has anyone tried this recipe and is little kneading best or alot of keading. (I used my dough hook on my machine).
Also, I know the yeast was good as if puffed up fine when combined with the 1 T of sugar and water.
I'm not a huge fan of biscuits or anything heavy, so I'm really hoping for some suggestions on either how to make a more bread-like product or at least something much lighter than the biscuits. Thanks in advance!!

Mary
Mary-
Welcome to the boards.

I've been making bread by hand and with a bread machine for about 35 years now, so I know what I'm doing when it comes to making bread.

I used the same recipe and got the exact same results. You didn't do anything wrong, it's just that Carbquik makes much better biscuits and desserts than it does bread and that's just how it is.

I LOVE!!!! Carbquik but not to make bread with.

I found some really good low carb tortillas (Carb Chopper) that I love at Sam's Club and that's what I use for bread. They're made by the Santa Fe Tortilla Company.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:25 PM   #990
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hirezmary
Stats: 195/160/145
WOE: Semi-Atkins
Start Date: January 2005
Hi Betty. I also like some of the low carb flour tortillas. After trying several, I really like Mission brand and I can get it at our local supermarket which is nice!
The only thing is that I do get bored fast without alot of variety.
I'm spoiled because my mother (who is Danish) was an excellent cook when I was young and cooked all day long making a variety of meals and excellent deserts (breads, pastries, cakes, you name it).
I'm realistic that I'm not going to find an excellent recipe for low carb bread, but something lighter would be nice.
I have found one brand of low carb breads that our Safeway store now carries and it's their own product. They make hamburger buns, etc. They are 9 grams each though, so I have to use sparingly. I'm also a bit cautious that they might not be that low in carbs yet because they do taste very much like regular bread.
I will have see what the scale tells me next weekend to get a better idea if they are ok to eat or not!!
Thanks for the welcome!!

Mary