Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2005, 02:46 PM   #931
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sunset
I was thinking about that too. How about all you creative cooks coming up with some recipes.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2005, 07:29 AM   #932

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Has anyone had good results with the CQ and lower the fat contents.

My plan doesnt allow all this fat.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:09 AM   #933
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kglowack
Stats: 165/158/135 @ 5'8
Start Date: October 2003. Restart July 2008
Quote:
Originally posted by inatic
Has anyone had good results with the CQ and lower the fat contents.

My plan doesnt allow all this fat.
I made Chef Greg's cornbread using light butter, egg beaters, and 1% CC milk (that was before I had z-trim) and it turned out just fine. There was also another recipe that I subbed fat free cream cheese for regular kind without any problems. I used Philadelphia fat free cream cheese in a container (not in a block) -- I think the one in the little container tastes better for some reason and according to the label it's also less carby
Old 02-09-2005, 09:11 AM   #934
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: showgirl
Stats: 127/116/115 5'3"
WOE: diet free!
Start Date: 3/1/05
inatic-how nice to see you here i've been experimenting w/ z-trim to replace 1/3 of the fat in recipes. i made paula deens ooey gooey pumpkin cake replacing 1/3 of the butter and 1/3 cream cheese w/z-trim with good results (although i never tasted the original version) however because it's almost all fiber i've only been able to eat 1/2 of a serving becuase i don't want any u-no-what problems :blush: the ultimate in portion control. i've also used z-trim in one of lindasues recipes and it's good.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:10 AM   #935
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KellyMarie38
Stats: 144.8-136.8-135.8-130 & tone-5'7" tall
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 07/2001
Quote:
Originally posted by showgirl
inatic-how nice to see you here i've been experimenting w/ z-trim to replace 1/3 of the fat in recipes. i made paula deens ooey gooey pumpkin cake replacing 1/3 of the butter and 1/3 cream cheese w/z-trim with good results (although i never tasted the original version) however because it's almost all fiber i've only been able to eat 1/2 of a serving becuase i don't want any u-no-what problems :blush: the ultimate in portion control. i've also used z-trim in one of lindasues recipes and it's good.
What exactly is Z-trim? tia

Kelly
Old 02-09-2005, 11:23 AM   #936
Tom
Administrator

Gallery: Tom
Here is some information about Z-Trim. It is now available at Netrition.com: http://www.netrition.com/ztrim_page.html
Old 02-09-2005, 11:33 AM   #937
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: underHiswing
Stats: Size 14/6-8/8
WOE: moderate carb, whole foods
Start Date: 7/03
showgirl-

I noticed that you made Paula D.'s Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake using the Carbquik. Her recipe looked so good, and I've been wondering about trying to make it LC...would you mind sharing your converted recipe? Thanks!

Laurie
Old 02-09-2005, 02:25 PM   #938
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally posted by underHiswing
showgirl-

I noticed that you made Paula D.'s Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake using the Carbquik. Her recipe looked so good, and I've been wondering about trying to make it LC...would you mind sharing your converted recipe? Thanks!

Laurie
sure. i'll post the original recipe w/my tweaks in parenthesis

Cake:
1 package yellow cake mix (18 1/4-ounce) (2 cups (8oz) carb quick + 1 1/4 cups granular splenda or equivalent + 2 teaspoons baking powder)
1 egg
8 tablespoons butter, melted (unsalted!) (5 T butter + 3 T *z-trim)
Filling:
1 package cream cheese (8-ounce) softened (5 T cream cheese + 3 T *z-trim)
15 ounces pumpkin, canned (15-ounce)
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 tablespoons butter, melted (unsalted) (5 T butter + 3 T *z-trim)
2 cups powdered sugar (16-ounce) (whey low granular + corn starch ground in a coffee grinder**)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg

*i mixed the z-trim into the butter & cream cheese according to their instructions prior to assembling this recipe, which is beat w/mixer for 3 minutes to incorporate.

**the ratio of corn starch to sugar is 1 cup of sugar to 1 T of corn starch which of course adds a few carbs but not that much per serving. after grinding in coffee grinder, i then measured 16oz

this sounds like a lot of work, but if you like to bake it is so yummy!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
To make the cake: Combine all of the ingredients and mix well with an electric mixer. Pat the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 13 by 9-inch baking pan.

Prepare filling.
To make the filling: In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese/z trim mixture and pumpkin until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla, and butter/z trim mixture, and beat together. Next, add the powdered sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and mix well. Spread pumpkin mixture over cake batter and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Make sure not to overbake as the center should be a little gooey.
Serve with fresh whipped cream.
Variations: For a Pineapple Gooey Cake: Instead of the pumpkin, add a drained 20-ounce can of crushed pineapple to the cream cheese filling. Proceed as directed above.
For a Banana Gooey Cake: Prepare cream cheese filling as directed, beating in 2 ripe bananas instead of the pumpkin. Proceed as directed above.
For a Peanut Butter Gooey Cake: Use a chocolate cake mix. Add 1 cup creamy peanut butter to the cream cheese filling instead of the pumpkin. Proceed as directed above.

Last edited by showgirl; 02-09-2005 at 02:26 PM..
Old 02-09-2005, 07:20 PM   #939
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: argo2d
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom
Here is some information about Z-Trim. It is now available at Netrition.com: http://www.netrition.com/ztrim_page.html
its about timE!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2005, 05:17 AM   #940
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NulloModo
Hiya,

Seeing as it is Mardi Gras time (and a website I read often is having a cookoff) I decided to make a big pot of gumbo using CarbQuick as a roux. I wasn't sure it would work, but I figured, what they heck, why not.

I made a medium-dark roux using 4 tbl CQ and 4 tbl oil. Also into the gumbo went 3 lbs of sausage, 1.5 lbs okra, 2 large bell peppers, 1 large spanish onion, 5 stalks of celery, a can of tomatoes (large) and my cajun spice blend consisting of cayenne pepper, black pepper, white pepper, tarragon, thyme, oregano, celery salt, chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder.

The roux actually made up really quickly, only took about 2 minutes worth of total cooking time, if that, so, that is scary fast for a roux. The flavor was very good though, and even that small amount of roux combined with the thickening power of the Okra left the gumbo nicely done.

Here are some photos:

Big bowl of chopped veggies, I left them big to give it some good mouth texture.

The Roux

Sausages browning first in the pot.

The veggies after having been cooked down.

The spice blend.

Finished bowl of gumbo
Old 02-10-2005, 06:22 AM   #941
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: 24Fan
Stats: from 2004 to 2006 lost 118 lbs. Maintaining
WOE: Atkins, low carb maintaining
Start Date: 2004
That looks very good, Nullo. I have yet to buy CQ but have it on my lc shopping list.

You moved recently, Nullo? LOL @ the fwd'ing sticker on mail.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:05 AM   #942
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lscoop
Stats: 115, maintaining
WOE: Mostly raw, organic, low-glycemic
Start Date: 8/05
Thanks, Nullo---I asked for the recipe on a different board but, since I subscribe to this thread also, I got it here instead :-)....
Thanks for the pix....it looks WONDERFUL!

I've discovered that CarbQuik is great for making an instant roux. I can't tell you how many dishes it's saved for me...gravies, soups, desserts; it's the best thickener of all. I can even cut down the butter with it and use maybe 1/4 to 1/3 part butter (or oil) and an equal amount of z-trim to 1 part CarbQuik, depending on what I'm using it for. It instantly becomes this thick, bubbly thing that seems to triple in size from the ingredients that you put in and if you quickly mix it so that the lumps are gone you can use it in the beginning, middle or end of a dish to thicken it without worrying (you wouldn't normally think about heating milk and adding your flour/butter mix at the end to make a bechemel sauce, but you can probably do it with CarbQuik!).

Last edited by lscoop; 02-10-2005 at 08:06 AM..
Old 02-10-2005, 01:35 PM   #943
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: underHiswing
Stats: Size 14/6-8/8
WOE: moderate carb, whole foods
Start Date: 7/03
showgirl-

Thanks so much for taking the time to put in the recipe/variations for the tweaked Gooey Butter Cake...I surely appreciate your time and effort! Sounds great. I may try and incorporate some liquid Splenda in there to try and lower the carbs some. I just could not seem to figure out what to use for the cake mix. Thanks again!

Laurie
Old 02-10-2005, 01:41 PM   #944
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hipslikemonroe
Stats: 220/177.5/140
I just ordered my second box of carbquick. I went through the first one so fast!

so far i've made the brownies, white russian brownies, blueberry muffins, cheddar bay biscuits, pancakes, and pizza crust.

My brownies were unsuccessful, only because i took the two cups of powdered splenda and made them four cups by mistake..they were good but had way to much splenda which made me feel like i'd cheated and ate a bunch of sugar. The pancakes and biscuits turned out great, however the pizza crust was awful, it was very biscuit like. I prefer the pork rind or deep dish crust much better.

I love making the muffins in the mini muffin sheets....i just made them with the minicard chips and some cocunut ones too. They're a very nice treat! My next attempt is that delicious coffee cake that was posted
Old 02-10-2005, 03:42 PM   #945
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally posted by underHiswing
showgirl-

Thanks so much for taking the time to put in the recipe/variations for the tweaked Gooey Butter Cake...I surely appreciate your time and effort! Sounds great. I may try and incorporate some liquid Splenda in there to try and lower the carbs some. I just could not seem to figure out what to use for the cake mix. Thanks again!

Laurie
you're welcome! i have a book called "the cake doctor" which has all recipes using boxed cake mixes. so i'll be trying more recipes out of that book since this worked. funny too, the gooey cakes are in this book!

Last edited by showgirl; 02-10-2005 at 03:45 PM..
Old 02-13-2005, 03:12 AM   #946
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Alice J Polhemus
Stats: 292/270/180- then 160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Aug. 2000 - lost 65 lbs - regained - restart 12/04
Cargquik - coconut shrimp

Hi everyone,
I keep wanting to try carbquik, but from what I've been reading I don't see how many "carbs per serving" it has. Also I still have 95lbs to go to goal. Is it something that I should wait until I get closer to goal?
I have a desire to make "coconut shrimp" which seems to be made by dipping in a flour batter. The rest of ingredients all seem to be "legal". Any suggestions please. What would be the carbcount for 1 cup of Carbquik?
Thanks in advance,
Alice
Old 02-13-2005, 06:03 AM   #947

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Based on the numbers on the box, this is how I count Carbquik:

Per 1 Cup Carbquik: 324 Calories; 23g Fat; 19g Protein; 58g Carbohydrate; 45g Dietary Fiber; 12g Net Carbs
Old 02-13-2005, 06:11 AM   #948
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Cap57
Stats: 155/150/135 (5'8")
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Sept. 2003
Re: Cargquik - coconut shrimp

Quote:
Originally posted by Alice J Polhemus
I have a desire to make "coconut shrimp" which seems to be made by dipping in a flour batter. The rest of ingredients all seem to be "legal". Any suggestions please. Alice
Alice, here is my recipe for coconut shrimp. It is delicious!
Yummy coconut shrimp
I've been craving coconut shrimp. I combined elements from old threads here with an adapted high carb recipe. It came out great. This also works for chicken tenders, as we had one non-seafood eater at dinner.

Coconut shrimp-4 servings
32 med-large shrimp (I bought frozen easy-peel shrimp, 31-40 per lb), thawed, peeled, and drained on paper towels.
1 egg, beaten
1 Tab. coconut Davinci's syrup, (or a little coconut extract)
6 drops of liquid Splenda, or 1 packet dry
1/2 cup Carbquik
1/2-2/3 cup beer (I used Aspen Edge).
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 cups unsweetened coconut- I got mine at the health food store
1/4 cup coconut Davinci's syrup
oil for frying

Put coconut in food processor to make the shreds finer. Pour 1/4 cup coconut Davinci's over and mix well. Set aside. In med. bowl beat egg, add 1 Tab. Davinci's or extract, Splenda, flour sub. baking powder, and 1/2 cup beer. If batter is too thick, add a little more beer, up to a total of 2/3 cup.
Dry off each shrimp, dip it in the batter, then in coconut, pressing gently to adhere. Lay shrimp on baking sheet lined with waxed paper or foil. Repeat with remaining shrimp. Chill at least 30 min. Heat oil, (not sure of temp. as my deep fryer automatically goes to the proper temp. but probably 375. Fry in batches for 3 minutes. These were so pretty and so good! Just like a restaurant! We didn't serve them with any sauce, but if someone has any ideas, that would be yummy too!
It's hard to figure the carb count as I also did 4 large chicken tenders, and still had batter and coconut left over, but I think it's pretty low. We had it with Caesar salad and fresh strawberries.
Hope you enjoy!
Cathy
Old 02-13-2005, 06:41 AM   #949
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BettyR
WOE: maderate carbs
Start Date: 1/15/04
Alice-
Most people who post say that Carbquik doesn't stall their weight loss, it doesn't stall me either. I've been using it for more than a month now and I've been losing just fine.

I use ****** and keep track of my carbs and calories. I stay around 40 carbs a day and around 2000 calories. At that range I loose quite well.

But I have read some posts by people who say that Carbquik makes them gain. So again I think this is going to be an individual thing.

What I did was, I ordered 2 - 3 pound boxes and used it quiet a lot, staying within my carb and calorie range for a month to see what would happen. At the end of that month I'd lost another 8 pounds.

The scales tend to go up and down for me depending on the time of the month. So I felt that the only way of knowing for sure how it would affect my weight loss was to use it for a full month.

I hope this helps.
Betty

Last edited by BettyR; 02-13-2005 at 06:42 AM..
Old 02-13-2005, 10:17 AM   #950
Senior LCF Member

coconut shrimp

Dear LindaSue and BettyR,
LindaSue, your recipie made my mouth water as I read it. Thank you so much for every thing. I have your recipie site "bookmarked" and as I use and like them I am making a personal cookbook. That way I'll always have everything I like at my finger tips! I'll work on a recipie for "dipping sauce"
Old 02-13-2005, 10:26 AM   #951
Senior LCF Member

BettyR

sorry - I hit some key wrong and away it went to post! I wanted to thank you too for your words of advice. Where can I buy "******"? Is it a form of Carbquik? How do the carbs count, same as LindaSues above? I need to be more exact on my daily count and I like the sound of what you are doing. I think I'll try it.
I am on insulin and it is not friendly to weight loss. It goes more slowly but if you "stick to it", It does go! Since I started Atkins the last week of December I've lost 15 lbs and cut the amount of insulin in half. It's a wonderful way (low carb) to control your sugars! Thanks again.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:23 PM   #952
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BettyR
WOE: maderate carbs
Start Date: 1/15/04
Alice-

******.com is a free web service.

"****** members can track their foods, exercises, weight loss, and goals online. ****** provides you with the feedback and analysis you need to stay on track towards your diet and fitness goals."

You can customize foods, you can put in foods that aren't in the data base and keep track of them as well.

As far as the Carbquik goes, I count the carbs the same as LindaSue.

Last edited by BettyR; 02-13-2005 at 01:24 PM..
Old 02-13-2005, 03:02 PM   #953
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lscoop
Stats: 115, maintaining
WOE: Mostly raw, organic, low-glycemic
Start Date: 8/05
You'll definitely lose weight if you count them like Linda Sue!!

If you go back in this thread, TovaRep posted the actual nutrition facts for this product, which are quite a bit less if you have either the 3-lb box or the reformulated 1-lb box (I don't know if the old formulation is still available or not, unless you've had it in your closet for a long time).

1 cup = 110 grams = 6.1 net carbs is the actual count.
Here are the correct nutrition facts:

Per 110 Grams (1 loosely packed cup):

Calories: 518
Protein: 19.4 grams
Fat: 22.7 grams
Total Carb:63.0 grams
Fiber: 56.9 grams
Net Carb: 6.1 grams

I am on maintenance and, although sugar alcohols seem to pass through me, flour based foods do not if there are hidden carbs in them. I have a problem whenever I eat Dreamfield's pasta, for instance. CarbQuik has given me no problems whatsoever and I count them exactly as above. And I eat a LOT of it!
Old 02-13-2005, 06:51 PM   #954
Senior LCF Member

Alice saus thank you

Thank you once again, everybody! What a wonderful place this is! I'll let you know when I get some. I'm going to order it tonite!
Alice
Old 02-16-2005, 09:42 AM   #955
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DASanders
Stats: 195/150/125
Start Date: February 2004
Brownie Recipe

Ingredients:

1 ½ cups Carbquick
½ tsp baking powder
2/3 cup oil
½ cup baking cocoa (I used Hershey’s Dutch Chocolate since I couldn’t find anything else at the local grocery and this was lower in carbs than the regular cocoa I had on hand.)
3 eggs
½ cup Splenda
1/4 cup Da Vinci SF Syrup Chocolate (or flavor of your choice)
¾ cups pecans (or nuts of your choice ((or none at all)).)
1 Tbsp Da Vinci’s Syrup of your choice (I used chocolate)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blend Carbquick with baking powder. Beat eggs and SF sweetener until light. Add the cocoa and 1/4 cup syrup. Add Carbquick mixture and blend well. Add the chopped nuts. Pour into a greased 9 x 9 pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until the center springs back when lightly touched. Do not over bake. Cool in pan. When cold, brush the top with the remaining 1 tablespoon of syrup. Let stand until room temperature.
You can substitute any Da Vinci Gourmet syrup flavor you wish.

Yield:
20 brownies (I cut mine larger) Also, I don’t have a brush, so I used a small spoon and gently spooned small amounts of Da Vinci’s syrup over the top of brownies with the back of my spoon. The brownies turned out very nice.

Submitted by: From a recipe submitted by Mary Quinn, ID at Da Vinci’s website. I made changes for LC and a few small changes for my tastes. Although I don’t think the LC version came out exactly like brownies, I do think they came out very nice and more like a devil’s food cake.

I believe you could cut the SF sweetener down to 1 1/2 cups total. They seem a bit too sweet to me after eating them, but not while eating them. Does that make sense?

I've been giving myself huge pats on the back all day long since I am not one to make up recipes or even alter them. I hope you enjoy these. The original name was "Best Brownies Ever", but I am so modest that I couldn't call them that. LOL!

Happy eating and I don't have a carb count.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:13 AM   #956

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
These sound yummy! I ran the recipe through MasterCook and came up with these nutri. totals based on 20 servings

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 147 Calories; 13g Fat (73.4% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 28mg Cholesterol; 31mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:09 AM   #957
Major LCF Poster!

Re: Brownie Recipe

Sounds good. Going to see if I can try these today!

Kelly
Quote:
Originally posted by DASanders
Ingredients:

1 ½ cups Carbquick
½ tsp baking powder
2/3 cup oil
½ cup baking cocoa (I used Hershey’s Dutch Chocolate since I couldn’t find anything else at the local grocery and this was lower in carbs than the regular cocoa I had on hand.)
3 eggs
½ cup Splenda

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blend Carbquick with baking powder. Beat eggs and SF sweetener until light. Add the cocoa and 1/4 cup syrup. Add Carbquick mixture and blend well. Add the chopped nuts. Pour into a greased 9 x 9 pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until the center springs back when lightly touched. Do not over bake. Cool in pan. When cold, brush the top with the remaining 1 tablespoon of syrup. Let stand until room temperature.

Yield:
20 brownies (I cut mine larger) Also, I don’t have a brush, so I used a small spoon and gently spooned small amounts of Da Vinci’s syrup over the top of brownies with the back of my spoon. The brownies turned out very nice.

Submitted by: From a recipe submitted by Mary Quinn, ID at Da Vinci’s website. I made changes for LC and a few small changes for my tastes. Although I don’t think the LC version came out exactly like brownies, I do think they came out very nice and more like a devil’s food cake.

I believe you could cut the SF sweetener down to 1 1/2 cups total. They seem a bit too sweet to me after eating them, but not while eating them. Does that make sense?

I've been giving myself huge pats on the back all day long since I am not one to make up recipes or even alter them. I hope you enjoy these. The original name was "Best Brownies Ever", but I am so modest that I couldn't call them that. LOL!

Happy eating and I don't have a carb count.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:17 AM   #958
Junior LCF Member

ERROR! ERROR!

I am just horrified! I hope you read this before making my brownies. I made a typo to the sweetener. I used 1/2 cup granular splenda and equivalent to 1 cup sweentener with Liquid Splenda. That's why I made the comment about cutting by 1/2 cup the sweetener. WOW oh WOW, I hope that none of you made a batch and they were awful. I will repost the recipe with corrections. Dog is begging for a walk and as soon as I get back I will repost. Once again, I am very sorry for my big mistake.

Denice
Old 02-17-2005, 08:23 AM   #959
Junior LCF Member

Correction to Brownie Recipe by: Denice Sanders

Ingredients:

1 ½ cups Carbquick
½ tsp baking powder
2/3 cup oil
3 eggs
½ cup granular Splenda
4 Tbsp Fiberfit Liquid Splenda (or equivalent to 1 cup SF sweetener)

Directions:

Yield:

Submitted by: From a recipe submitted by Mary Quinn, ID at Da Vinci’s website/LC changes and a few alterations by Denice Sanders. I made changes for LC and a few small changes for my tastes. Although I don’t think the LC version came out exactly like brownies, I do think they came out very nice and more like a devil’s food cake.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:18 PM   #960
Major LCF Poster!

My brownies had no flavor. I followed the recipe and used liquid splenda. There's no sweetness to it or chocolate taste and I used Davinci SF chocolate syrup.

Kelly