Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2005, 09:51 AM   #901
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fiveforall
WOE: Atkins
I made the donut holes using carbquick. They were awesome! I substitued blueberry davinci syrup for the water and stevia in the recipe. They really did taste like blueberry donut holes. Even my DH enjoyed them. It was a great snack to eat while watching CSI!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2005, 09:59 AM   #902
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KellyMarie38
Stats: 144.8-136.8-135.8-130 & tone-5'7" tall
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 07/2001
Can I have the recipe? I have blueberry, raspberry and strawberry syrup here that would probably be great for this recipe! tia

Kelly
Quote:
Originally posted by fiveforall
I made the donut holes using carbquick. They were awesome! I substitued blueberry davinci syrup for the water and stevia in the recipe. They really did taste like blueberry donut holes. Even my DH enjoyed them. It was a great snack to eat while watching CSI!
Old 01-14-2005, 10:02 AM   #903
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: griffin
WOE: atkins/moderate
Start Date: november 04
i made the chicken parmesian on the box, boy it was good.what suprized me is how fast the breading browned. had to finish cooking in the oven.when i read directions, i figured it was for melting the cheese, but it would of burnt had i tried to finish on stovetop.nice change of pace
Old 01-14-2005, 11:18 AM   #904
Major LCF Poster!

I did a search and I can't find the recipe for the donut holes.

Kelly
Quote:
Originally posted by KellyMarie38
Can I have the recipe? I have blueberry, raspberry and strawberry syrup here that would probably be great for this recipe! tia

Kelly
Old 01-14-2005, 12:09 PM   #905
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fiveforall
The following is from another poster. I just copied and pasted. I used 4 tablespoons carbquick instead of the carbsense. These were really good!

If you love fritters or doughnuts...
You've got to try Raul's Dough-Nots!
This recipe was first posted last year, but for those of you who missed it, it's so worth repeating! I've made a couple of tweaks, which I will note. I also tried adding about a tsp. of chopped apple to one of them before cooking, and it was just like an apple fritter! The carb count is very low for a really satisfying treat, (or in my case, breakfast today).

Dry Ingredients:
3 Tablespoons Carbsense Zero Carb Bake Mix
1 Packet Splenda (I used 8 drops liquid Splenda)
1/8 Teaspoon Stevia (I omitted, because I was using Davinci's)
1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
(I also added a pinch of nutmeg, because my Grandma always used nutmeg in her homemade doughnuts).

Wet Ingredients:
1 Large Egg White, beaten
3 Tablespoons water (I meant to sub French Vanilla Davinci's, but realized after, that I used Irish Cream. It was delicious!)

1. Beat egg white until frothy with 1 Packet Splenda & 3 Tablespoons water. (I first beat the egg white alone till frothy, but not white, then added the Davinci's and liquid Splenda and beat some more. You don't want it as thick as meringue, but it should have some body to it to help your dough-nots have a nice puffy shape.)
2. Add dry ingredients and combine well.
3. Fry batter in your oil of choice until crispy & golden brown. (I put about an inch of oil in a small sauce pan.)
4. Sprinkle with 1 more packet of Splenda (I mixed some granular Splenda with a little cinnamon to sprinkle over).
Mine came out quite puffy, and not greasy at all! I remember last winter when I made these, I topped them with a chocolate glaze, but I don't remember how I made it. I'll have to dig through my recipes to see if I wrote it down.
The recipe makes about 8 doughnut hole sized treats. I ate them all, but I think the carb count is no more than 2 or 3 for the whole batch.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:59 PM   #906
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chickiemom
Those subs on the dough-nots look good. I love doughnuts and they have been my downfall on occasion. Another good reason to buy a deep fryer. These and wings
Old 01-15-2005, 03:51 PM   #907
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks! Printing this out!

Kelly
Quote:
Originally posted by fiveforall
The following is from another poster. I just copied and pasted. I used 4 tablespoons carbquick instead of the carbsense. These were really good!

If you love fritters or doughnuts...
You've got to try Raul's Dough-Nots!
This recipe was first posted last year, but for those of you who missed it, it's so worth repeating! I've made a couple of tweaks, which I will note. I also tried adding about a tsp. of chopped apple to one of them before cooking, and it was just like an apple fritter! The carb count is very low for a really satisfying treat, (or in my case, breakfast today).

Dry Ingredients:
3 Tablespoons Carbsense Zero Carb Bake Mix
1 Packet Splenda (I used 8 drops liquid Splenda)
1/8 Teaspoon Stevia (I omitted, because I was using Davinci's)
1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
(I also added a pinch of nutmeg, because my Grandma always used nutmeg in her homemade doughnuts).

Wet Ingredients:
1 Large Egg White, beaten
3 Tablespoons water (I meant to sub French Vanilla Davinci's, but realized after, that I used Irish Cream. It was delicious!)

1. Beat egg white until frothy with 1 Packet Splenda & 3 Tablespoons water. (I first beat the egg white alone till frothy, but not white, then added the Davinci's and liquid Splenda and beat some more. You don't want it as thick as meringue, but it should have some body to it to help your dough-nots have a nice puffy shape.)
2. Add dry ingredients and combine well.
3. Fry batter in your oil of choice until crispy & golden brown. (I put about an inch of oil in a small sauce pan.)
4. Sprinkle with 1 more packet of Splenda (I mixed some granular Splenda with a little cinnamon to sprinkle over).
Mine came out quite puffy, and not greasy at all! I remember last winter when I made these, I topped them with a chocolate glaze, but I don't remember how I made it. I'll have to dig through my recipes to see if I wrote it down.
The recipe makes about 8 doughnut hole sized treats. I ate them all, but I think the carb count is no more than 2 or 3 for the whole batch.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:49 PM   #908
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Cap57
Stats: 155/150/135 (5'8")
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Sept. 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by chickiemom
Those subs on the dough-nots look good. I love doughnuts and they have been my downfall on occasion. Another good reason to buy a deep fryer. These and wings
Those directions above are from my earlier post. You don't even need a deep fryer to make these. I just use my smallest saucepan with about an inch of oil in it. I have a deep fryer that I do use for wings, but these cook up so quickly, that I don't bother to get the fryer out. They are really yummy!
One other note as I reread my directions; I now beat the egg white till white, with soft peaks. I think it makes for sturdier dough-nots. The original directions called for just beating till frothy, but the batter will be runnier, and they don't puff up as well.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:18 AM   #909
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chickiemom
Cap thanks for the update on the egg whites. I'm getting over a sore throat right now so don't feel like cooking much but these are on the top of my to make list
Old 01-16-2005, 02:03 PM   #910
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ClikChik
Stats: 135/132/110
WOE: LC
Start Date: 9/2/2014
Reading thru all these posts I had made a bookmark for Blaine's Low-Carb Kitchen on FitTv. He has some great sounding recipes but I have a question about this one:

Gnocchi:

1/3 cup soy flour - sifted
1/4 cup wheat flour - sifted
1 cup parmesan cheese -grated
3 egg yolks
1 tsp. fresh nutmeg - grated
1 cup ricotta cheese - drained

Gnocchi Preparation: (80-90 Gnocchi Dumplings = 6 Servings - approx. 6.5 net carbs per serving):

Mix dry ingredients with wet ingredients. Take teaspoon of dough and shape into small dumpling making sure to keep hands wet with bowl of cold water nearby. Place dumplings onto wax paper and make indentation with back of fork. (Tip: use your opposite hand when making fork indentations to make sure gnocchi does not stick to fork.) When complete, put small batches of gnocchi into gently boiling water. When gnocchi floats to top of water let cook 30 seconds more. Strain with cold water, drain well and let cool. Cover in 2 tbsp. olive oil so they do not stick.

I want to replace the soy & wheat flour with CarbQuik but does anyone with more experience know if I should add anything else like baking powder, baking soda, etc?

I love gnocchi and this with a little butter, parmesan cheese and side salad would be a great dinner!

Thanks!

~~*Teresa*~~

Ever feel like your guardian angel went out for a smoke?
Old 01-16-2005, 05:55 PM   #911
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lscoop
Stats: 115, maintaining
WOE: Mostly raw, organic, low-glycemic
Start Date: 8/05
I think it's worth a try using the CarbQuik. Since this is not a dish where you want the dough to rise there would be no need to add any additional ingredients into the mix. Let us know how it tastes....I'd love to make some frech gnocchi! I usually like to sub drained and finely processed cottage cheese for the ricotta...less carbs and calories. I wonder if that would work?

Last edited by lscoop; 01-16-2005 at 05:57 PM..
Old 01-16-2005, 06:19 PM   #912
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
Which page was the vanilla cake recipe on? I just can't seem to find it!

I'm getting my carbquik soon and the Lorann bakery flavor oils, so I want to try them out!

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2005, 12:06 AM   #913
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Oakie
Stats: 115/100/100
Start Date: May 2003
Aediekins: Are you referring to Linda 's Golden cake? I'll bump the thread started by Jeamevan.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:41 PM   #914
Major LCF Poster!

I think I'll go ahead and use the ricotta first (tomorrow night's dinner as I forgot to get the ricotta cheese today... ) since I'll be subbing with CQ. I'm almost afraid to substitute two ingredients at first. Then next time I'll use the cottage cheese. Either way, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Quote:
Originally posted by lscoop
I think it's worth a try using the CarbQuik. Since this is not a dish where you want the dough to rise there would be no need to add any additional ingredients into the mix. Let us know how it tastes....I'd love to make some frech gnocchi! I usually like to sub drained and finely processed cottage cheese for the ricotta...less carbs and calories. I wonder if that would work?
Old 01-17-2005, 03:04 PM   #915
Senior LCF Member

Thanks! Can't wait to hear....
Old 01-17-2005, 11:05 PM   #916
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
ummm...I don't know who's it is.... but it is on this thread somewhere. I can't find it though
Old 01-17-2005, 11:16 PM   #917
Tom
Administrator

Gallery: Tom
Here's a "search" tip... when using the search feature, you can click "Show results as posts" instead of the default "Show results as threads". This might help you find a specific post.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:45 AM   #918
Major LCF Poster!

this one?

LINDASUE'S EASY GOLDEN CARBQUIK CAKE

1 1/2 cups Carbquik
1/2 cup granular Splenda or 3/4 teaspoon liquid Splenda
1 egg
1/2 cup Carb Countdown whole milk
4 tablespoons butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla

Beat all ingredients on low speed with electric mixer 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 4 minutes. Spread in greased 8x8" square or 9" round cake pan. Bake at 350┬║ 25 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch.

Makes 9 servings

With granular Splenda:
Per Serving: 127 Calories; 10g Fat; 5g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

With liquid Splenda:
Per Serving: 122 Calories; 10g Fat; 5g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

This came from an old Bisquick cookbook and was called Velvet Crumb Cake. I was afraid someone might think that it's a crumb cake with a crumb topping, so I've renamed it. After hearing how some Carbquik recipes turn out dry, I added an extra 2 tablespoons of butter. Actually, the recipe called for shortening, but I used butter instead. Mine took 5-10 minutes less time to bake than the original recipe stated too, but then I used a dark nonstick pan.

The batter is almost as stiff as a soft cookie dough, but it's been so many years since I made the Bisquick version that I don't remember if that batter was also thick. This makes a very dense cake, almost the texture of pound cake. I detect a slight Carbquik aftertaste, but it's not too bad. I plan to serve it topped with strawberries and whipped cream tonight so I don't think that will be a problem at all. It's just not that great plain. The flavor of the almond flour Pound Cake that I make is much nicer.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:21 AM   #919
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GentleGiant
Stats: 408/353/300 6'8" OVER 50 DOWN!
Start Date: January 10, 2005
Another request for Chef Greg

How about a recipe for some snack crackers - say like Ritz.

I love so much that we can have cheese on this WOE, but I
would really like to have something to put it on.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:17 AM   #920
Senior LCF Member

I've seen Carb Countdown in 1% and 2%.....do they make it in a whole milk form also? I've never seen that one!
Old 01-18-2005, 08:24 AM   #921
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: GentleGiant
Stats: 408/353/300 6'8" OVER 50 DOWN!
Start Date: January 10, 2005
Yes, Carb Countdown does come in a Whole Milk (red carton) variety, but I found it a little "thick" so I stick with the 2%.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:30 AM   #922
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I made Linda's golden carbquik cake - I had made earlier BettyR's chocolate mayonnaise cake for my boss's birthday, and frosted it with my LC German Chocolate icing - had leftover icing so thought this cake would be good with it - and I was right!

DH's comment was "it's a little 'biscuit-y' in texture but not in a BAD way!"

I think with strawberries and whipped cream in the summertime, I'll have my perfect strawberry shortcake!

Char
Old 01-18-2005, 12:58 PM   #923
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks! Can't wait to hear....
DIDN'T WORK! The little gnocchi just fell apart in the boiling water...

I used Carbquik instead of the soy & wheat flour. Oh well! Back to the drawing board, eh?
Old 01-18-2005, 07:02 PM   #924
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Gentle Giant....

Sorry, ClikChick.....I wonder if the gnocchi would work if you used Soy Protein Isolate and just substituted the CarbQuik for the Wheat Flour portion.....

Any other experimenters or ideas out there? Chef Greg, are you with us?
Old 01-19-2005, 03:51 AM   #925
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks, Gentle Giant....

Sorry, ClikChick.....I wonder if the gnocchi would work if you used Soy Protein Isolate and just substituted the CarbQuik for the Wheat Flour portion.....

Any other experimenters or ideas out there? Chef Greg, are you with us?
Yea, Chef Greg could do it! Yeah! That's the ticket!
Old 01-21-2005, 10:58 PM   #926
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Autuamnsprite
Stats: 180/180/120
WOE: Lo Carb Baby
Start Date: 6/29/10
I just finished reading all 40 pages of this thread!!! Took me two days

I just wanted to say that (since I just finished it's still fresh in my mind) ChefGreg said to put in 1.5 times the yeast in yeast bread type recipes. Hope that helps someone. You guys are prolific when it comes to this stuff. I think I'll order some and see how it does.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:10 PM   #927
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally posted by LindaSue
Here's what MasterCook comes up with for HaleysNana's biscuits assuming that you get 6 biscuits:

Per Biscuit: 199 Calories; 15g Fat; 9g Protein; 21g Carbohydrate; 16g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs
Oh, those biscuits are sooooooo good! I got 8 good size biscuits out of the batch I fixed tonight. Perfect with the minute steaks/gravy and mashed cauliflower! Now for something sweet...
Old 01-23-2005, 03:24 PM   #928
Senior LCF Member

CarbQuik Vacuum Sealing

I just wanted to let the manufacturers know how much I appreciate the fact that you put the CarbQuik in that silver foil wrap (at least the 3-lb box, which is the only one I get). You can reseal it every time after using it with the vacuum sealer (not taking out the air, just heat-sealing the wrap). It keeps it fresh and none of those little bugs can try to get into it :-)

Those of you who have vaccum sealers, try it!
Old 01-23-2005, 05:28 PM   #929
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: underHiswing
Stats: Size 14/6-8/8
WOE: moderate carb, whole foods
Start Date: 7/03
Great tip...thanks, I'll try that! Just received my first box!
Old 02-06-2005, 12:56 PM   #930
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DASanders
Stats: 195/150/125
Start Date: February 2004
What's Up?

Haven't seen any new postings in a while, so I thought I would pop in to say hello and see what's up. I hope everyone is well and still busy making recipes up for me (can't seem to come up with my own).

Regards,
Denice

PS: Valentine's Day is coming up. Anyone have any plans or new ideas for low carb goodies?