Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2004, 04:52 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lil_joy69
my Impossible bacon pie story

the very first meal I made for my now ex hubby was the Impossible bacon pie. I don't know what I did wrong but what was impossable about it was that it was impossable to eat. Bless his heart trying to make me feel good he ate 2 servings. I couldn't finish the serving I had and even the dog next door wouldn't eat it lol

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2004, 06:01 PM   #62
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Man... I used to make some pretty good coffee cakes with Bisquick! Just bisquick, milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon(usually with some brown sugar sprinkled on top, too).
Possibly use splenda and a little more splenda on top instead of the sugar/brown sugar.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:17 AM   #63
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: JanieP
I wanted to try the Impossible Chocolate Creme Pie and I was out of Carb Countdown 2% and the unsweetened chocolate. I did have the Chocolate Carb Countdown, so I tweeked the recipe a little. It came out quite good. I also halved the sweetner, as the chocolate Carb Countdown is very sweet. I also added pure vanilla flavoring. Here is my tweek:

Impossible Chocolate Creme Pie

2 eggs
1 cup Chocolate Carb Countdown
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 tblsp. cocoa powder
1/2 cup sweetner or equilivant liquid sweetner
1/2 cup Carbquick
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9 inch pie plate, set aside.
Place all ingredients in blender container. Cover and blend on high for 1 minute. Pour into plate.
Bake until no indention remains when touched lightly in center. 20 to 30 minutes (mine took 22 minutes).
lost over 1000 posts; I wish the weight came off as easily.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:20 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susies1955
[COLOR=darkblue]I made the Impossible Chocolate Cream Pie today but doubled it.
I used the Chocolate Carb Countdown milk plus a tablespoon of cocoa and I used 1/2 the amount of sugar as granulated Splenda and half as liquid splenda.
This is my first time trying to post an image.
That is a quilt block under it that I did today too.
Thanks for the recipe. YUMMY,
Susie

[/COLOR]
Old 09-07-2004, 03:39 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: underHiswing
Stats: Size 14/6-8/8
WOE: moderate carb, whole foods
Start Date: 7/03
Susie...this looks great! Did it actually layer? From the picture, it almost looks like it did.

Laurie
Old 09-07-2004, 04:06 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally posted by underHiswing
........ Did it actually layer?...........Laurie
[COLOR=darkblue]Hi Laurie,
Yes, it did layer a little.

Susie[/COLOR]
Old 09-08-2004, 01:10 PM   #67
Administrator

I got mine yesterday and made biscuts for this morning. They tasted just like bisquick ones! (If y'all haven't tried biscuts with sausage gravy yet - DO IT!)
*PS: The biscuts were not light and fluffy -they were kind of thin and flat, but the taste was excellent
Old 09-08-2004, 03:47 PM   #68
Administrator

I was also thinking that the carbquick with pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, splenda and maybe raw cranberries would be excellent as a holiday muffin!
Old 09-08-2004, 06:56 PM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
I made the impossibe chocolate pie and it came out like a brownie,, did I cook it too long?? It is very good anyway,, my husband loved it. I just thought it would be more pie like. thanks for the recipe.. I am going to make the cobbler next..
Old 09-08-2004, 09:02 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Debbiebbw47
Stats: 356/344/166
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 6/6/04
Just received mine from Netrition - can I use this as a substitute in recipes that call for bake mix?
Old 09-09-2004, 01:45 AM   #71
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Quote:
Originally posted by Brendajm
I made the impossibe chocolate pie and it came out like a brownie,, did I cook it too long?? It is very good anyway,, my husband loved it. I just thought it would be more pie like. thanks for the recipe.. I am going to make the cobbler next..
It may have cooked too long. Mine took about 20 minutes; you just leave it in the oven until it doesn't leave an indentation when you put your finger into the filling. Mine had the texture of a cheesecake, without any of the 'tang'.

Mmmmmmmmmm cobbler.......
(I used just a sprinkle of Splenda- about 1/8 teaspoon- over the cobbler after baking- I wanted it to have a sparkly crust, like a sugar-sprinkled cobbler- but Splenda really isn't sparkly, so I don't think I will do that again.)

Quote:
Originally posted by Debbiebbw47
Just received mine from Netrition - can I use this as a substitute in recipes that call for bake mix?
Quote:
From the Carbquik page at Netrition

In our test kitchen we have found Carbquik to perform to the most of the same standards associated with all purpose flour. Most recipes that call for all purpose flour can be created using Carbquik with attention being paid to adjusting the liquid amounts called for in most of these recipes. We recommend you experiment with your favorite recipes and soon you will be creating many of the recipes you have known over the years with ease and confidence. As with any baking mix, allowances for the liquid must be made, but again we have found these to be very minimal.
Supposedly, you can use it in recipes that call for flour. And supposedly, the recipes that call for bake mix are using it as a flour replacement. I think if I was going to try to substitute Carbquik for another bake mix, I would start with a recipe that calls for a minimal amount of bake mix, like 1/2 cup or so. If that worked, I might venture into trying recipes that call for larger amounts. So far, I have only used it in recipes that call for Bisquick, though. I have a huge collection of Bisquick recipes, so I won't need to try to use it in other recipes for quite a while.

Quote:
Originally posted by susies1955

I made the Impossible Chocolate Cream Pie today but doubled it.
About how long did a double recipe take to cook?
Old 09-09-2004, 01:47 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pami
About how long did a double recipe take to cook?
[COLOR=darkblue]When I doubled the recipe I baked it for the 30 minutes that you had in the recipe and it seemed fine. Maybe it could have even baked less but not sure.
Susie[/COLOR]
Old 09-09-2004, 08:09 AM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abbymommy
Stats: size 12 after baby/size 6
WOE: healthy sometimes low-carb
Start Date: 1997
I tried the impossible chocolate pie last night using the chocolate milk and it turned out GREAT!

It filled a pie pan and did have the consistency of a custard, with a nice brown thin crust on the bottom. And only 2 carbs per slice!!!

So far the Carbquik is a real winner, I think
Old 09-10-2004, 10:27 AM   #74
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: bab_indy
Stats: size 24/12/8-10 (?), 5'7", 48yo
WOE: Carb Cycling and Exercise including weight lifting
Start Date: Feb 2003
I got my Carbquik. First thing I made was the drop biscuits for biscuits and gravy. I only made 1/4 of the recipe (about 3 biscuits) and used a drop of lc milk with the water. VERY GOOD. My gravy was a chicken sausage I cut out of the casing and browned. I mixed lc milk, touch of cream with THickin/Thin Starch and some pepper. Stirred until thickened. It was VERY yummy. THis may be my new w/e breakfast treat.

Anyone tried this for pizza dough yet?
Old 09-10-2004, 10:45 AM   #75
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
BAB_iNDY, I used it for pizza crust and it turned out great. A little bisquity tasting, but my DH LOVED it. Better than most cursts I've tried.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:04 PM   #76
The Low Carb Chef

Gallery: Chefgreg

Hello everyone, I want to take a minute to introduce myself and at the same time give each of you a big hand for your devotion to Low Carb, but most of all to the continued efforts you devote to your own health. I am Greg Pryor, former Executive Chef to the Atkins group. I am also the author of "A Complete Low Carb Lifestyle" My goal has been for the past 10 years to assist and devoted entirely to the Low Carb Industry. Over the last 10 years I have had the pleasure to sample, work with and formulate hundreds of products from many sources. I joined this board after seeing all the comments regarding CarbQuik, a product that is very dear to me. After all the years I have been involved with the many manufacturers, it is rare that I get as excited or more so, as personally involved with a product as i have chosen to do with this product. Why??? Bottom line, this is the single most exciting product I have seen, used, experimented with etc in 10 years.

I would like to make myself as available as possible to each of you using this board and product, I recognize some have had a few questions regarding the product as well as many questions perhaps still not answered. It is my hopes to assist each of you as time will allow me to do so.

Please feel free to ask any questions within reason of course regarding CarbQuik and recipes, I currently have well over 120 personally tested recipes using CarbQuik, and plan to expand that list. I will also be providing those for posting again as time allows.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:03 PM   #77
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Boo1
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 21, 2003
Thank you so much for joining us. I am working on my second box of Carbquick and have 6 more waiting in the pantry.

My first question is (I am a novice cook-even at 55, alway a career woman and fast food eater-addicted to Taco Bell,) is how would I use yeast with Carbquick? Craving that yeast taste in baked goods?

See you are in South Florida, hope you get out soon. I am on Treasure Island (West Coast.

Again, thanks for taking the time to join us.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:17 PM   #78
The Low Carb Chef

Ahhhhh a fine question. Let me share with you some guidelines regarding yeast and CarbQuik. Not much is different in the workings of yeast and CarbQuik as what was to be expected using Bisquick™, however here are some tips and some guidelines to consider......
1. As with Bisquick™, CarbQuik will respond to the addition of yeast, however be advised that due to the increased protein and the nature of the types of fiber used in the formula, in most cases if not everyone, the amount of yeast you would use in CarbQuik would be about 1.5% greater than if you used in Bisquick™ or a similar AP Flour recipe.
2. Now the next issue to consider is the proof time. Again because of the high quality fiber being used the proof as a rule requires a little warmer and humid proof atmosphere plus a slight bit more time.
3. I also strongly suggest you always use active dry yeast if fresh is not available to you, I do not like using instant yeast in these applications.
4. Finally, don't be alarmed should you notice a little additional crumb structure when using yeast in CarbQuik; this is actually a very welcomed side effect of the fiber in CarbQuik.

Here is a recipe I have been saving to post to the Carbalose web site, you all get it first,

CarbQuik Sandwich Rolls
Servings: 6
Interesting version of a roll similar to Schlotzskys famous sandwich roll.

1/2 cup warm water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 package active dry yeast (package)
6 ounces warm hood milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda, softened 1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon water
2 1/2 cups CarbQuik

In a large mixing bowl of a stand mixer, combine warm water, sugar and yeast. Let stand till bubbly, about 5 minutes. With dough hook mix the rest of the liquids, salt, softened baking soda and 1 cup of CarbQuik to a smooth batter. Gradually add in the remaining CarbQuik and mix on low speed till a smooth sticky dough forms.
Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces. Spray 6 oven-proof soup bowls, 5" in diameter and dust each with a small amount of CarbQuik shake out any excess. Drop one rounded piece of dough into each. Cover each with a small piece of plastic wrap that has been sprayed with Pam. Let rise 1 hour or until just above the rim of each bowl.
Discard plastic wrap and bake on a center rack of a 375 degree oven 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack. Slice each horizontally to use for Sandwich roll.

Per Serving: 7g Fat 8g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; Net carbs 4
Old 09-10-2004, 07:03 PM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sdbeeme
Stats: 250/up one, down one/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Re-committed 8/04
Thanks for joining us..........
Since many of us are purchasing multiple boxes at a time......what would optimum storage be? Is a pantry shelf okay? Should it be refrigerated? Would freezing be damaging? What would the shelf life be for all those multiple boxes? THANKS!!
Old 09-10-2004, 07:56 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Hi folks - tried the Impossible Chocolate Pie tonight - it came out looking beautiful, just like the pictures! However, it has a very bitter aftertaste, so I'm asking the experts: do you think it's the cocoa? I used Liquid Sweet N Low, plus a little DaVinci French Vanilla to be sweetener plus the vanilla. (I did the Choc Carb Countdown version). It smells chocolately but the chocolate/sweet flavor disappears pretty quickly. So - tell me what I did wrong!!
Old 09-10-2004, 09:05 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MizLiz
Stats: 215/165/140
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: August 2003
Ok, first efforts report here on the Carbquik. Made cut out bisquits tonight. Taste was very good. Texture a little crumbly and dry, but I expected that. Thinking a touch of baking powder and splash more milk (used Carb Countdown instead of cream) might help that. Probably will be quite good with butter and toasted for breakfast. Have some sausage to fry up. Will try that and some cheese for a breakfast bisquit.

Have also been craving cheesecake. Used the old Bisquick Impossible Cheesecake recipe, subing Carbquick and splenda. Did not change any of the quantities. Tried it warm and it was quite good. Think it will be very good when fully chilled.

Greg, thanks for the notes on yeast usage. I was already thinking about trying that. The very first bite of my bisquits had a definite yeast flavor to me. Also will give the sandwich rolls a try. Looking forward to more experiment with the product. Very glad you joined us.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:32 AM   #82
The Low Carb Chef

MizLiz, A little trick to make those biscuits light and flakey, Remember on the box we always print the simplest recipe so that those less talented in the kitchen have a better chance of success, however as with most any baked item there is always ways to tweak a recipe to enhance it to ones own style, Cut out biscuits do well by adding 2 tsp double acting baking powder, and be certain to cut in the butter till the mixture is a course texture similar to course corn meal. Now here is a trick; In most classical applications such as biscuits one would not want to knead the dough beyond the point to bring it together, however with CarbQuik because of the unique fiber used in the formulation over kneading the dough in this case creates a very tender final baked product. Why you ask?, Without getting to scientific about it, in a nut shell, what you are doing is helping the fiber to breakdown, a process similar to what occurs with gluten bands when we use "shortening" in a recipe in classical baking. In the case of biscuits we are not using shortening but the butter coats the fiber and allows for a tenderer product.

As for storage; I would not suggest you freeze Carbquik, although you could do so, however stored in a dry pantry unopened this will keep for 6 months with no cause for concern. If you are to freeze the product, make certain you allow it to come to room temperature prior to use. As with any flour type product make certain to keep dry once opened, I transfer it to a sealed Tupperware type canister after opened.

One last point, I saw somewhere the question of how to measure the product: DO NOT pack the measure, loosely fill a measuring cup and level it off with the edge of a knife or any straight edge tool. Packing the product will increase the volume by often as much as 2.5 times the weight, therefore most recipes will not be accurate.

Now for the chocolate pie question; Honestly I have not made this version of the pie you indicate, and in all honesty the combination of products you used may well be the issue with the bitterness. I personally have found SweetnLow in nearly every example to date I have tried to become bitter once exposed to high heat. It is rare for me to use SweetnLow in any baking applications requiring any oven heat. Hope this helps.

Greg
Old 09-11-2004, 06:25 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MizLiz
Stats: 215/165/140
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: August 2003
Greg, thanks once again for the tips. I was concerned about over kneading as for regular bisquits, so it's good to know this product really needs it (oop, pun not intended, but worked well ).

Curiosity question: the yellowish color of the product...due to the fiber/enzyme used?? Maybe it's been so long since I've used the real Bisquik that the color is "normal" and I just don't remember it.

Any tips for muffins that aren't expressed on the box/online recipes you care to share? That's my next venture I think.
The lemon muffin recipe sounds really good.

Thanks, Gred!
Old 09-11-2004, 07:17 AM   #84
The Low Carb Chef

MizLiz,
Yes the yellowish color is due to the formula, actually the more you knead or mix it the more white it will become, this is the action of the enzymes and the fiber working their magic.

Muffins??/ Well to be honest yes, there are a lot of modifications you can do to the muffins. A lot of them depend on what ingredients you would plan to use. I personally enjoy using buttermilk as the liquid and again adding a touch of additional baking powder which creates a larger top and a fluffy muffin. But in all honesty if you use about any of your favorite muffin recipes I promise you great success, this mix performs in muffin recipes and quick bread recipes so well most any recipe will be a hit. Here is one I really appreciate.
Always be certain your oven temperature is accurate, that oven spring is so essential to success in a muffin.
CarbQuik Blueberry Muffins
Servings: 6

2 cups CarbQuik
2/3 cup half and half or same amount of butter milk (my preference)
1/2 smashed very ripe banana
1/3 cup Splenda
1 tsp double acting baking powder
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 whole egg, beaten
3/4 cup blueberries, frozen, thawed and drained

Heat oven to 400º F. Place paper baking cup in each of 12 regular-size muffin cups, or grease bottoms only of muffin cups.
Stir all ingredients except blueberries just until well moistened. Gently stir in blueberries. Divide batter evenly among cups. For a full large muffin, fill to the very top of muffin cup.
Bake 13 to 18 minutes or until golden brown.

Per Serving 152 Calories; 10g Fat 6g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; Net Carbs 4g

**** Note. Do not allow batter to be to runny or smooth, a few lumps are fine
Old 09-11-2004, 08:40 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Chefgreg about the chocolate pie bitterness, I wondered about the Sweet N Low, it was all I had. Could I use the same amount of Davinci, either all French Vanilla or some other flavor, for the sweetner? Or powdered Splenda, instead of a liquid? I think I had the belief it had to be liquid, but not sure now...
Old 09-11-2004, 08:58 AM   #86
The Low Carb Chef

Debbie,
I for one simply because of the nature of the product refrain from using the Davinci at all. I honestly have not run enough test or done the research to personally determine it's compatibility with heat and flavor among other ingredients. There is no reason at all why any of the sweetness need come from a liquid, I would simply use Splenda. A little trick when using Splenda if you’re concerned about any grittiness one might anticipate, soften it in a portion of any of the liquid in the recipe. If you would forward to my email address the recipe that has you concerned, I will attempt to over the weekend refine it or tweak it as much as possible for you and all others interested. Please also please be advised and I ask advise all others, my travel plans have me out of the Country from the 14th to the 19th so I may not be able to reply to the board in general. I spend a great amount of time on the road doing a ton of research and endorsements. I also have my own TV show for which I have to film 26 episodes in late OCT. Finally I am also trying to write a third book, so I ask please be patient with me.

My goal is to help all that I can, and promise to each that is my sincere pledge, however I am also as stated, extremely busy, and having a third hurricane heading my general area is only making matters a bit more tedious.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:08 AM   #87
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: JanieP
Welcome to the boards, Chefgreg. It is indeed a privilage to have you here and the support that you offer to us.

I have made the cheese bisquits and they were very dry. I tweeked them the next time I made them. I added two tablespoons of mayonaise to the recipe. It did help with the dryness. I would have liked to have them more "airy", so the next batch I thought about adding some baking powder. I'll let you know how they come out. Also, any suggestions you have are appreciated.

Again, welcome to the board!!

JanieP
Old 09-11-2004, 10:27 AM   #88
The Low Carb Chef

Janie,
I have to say I have not had that comment regarding that being a dry product. I would suggest perhaps trying this, Increase the liquid a tablespoon at a time, don't be a little shy about the dough being a sticky dough, also you might be certain in this application as a drop biscuit that you do not over work the dough. After the dough just comes together, drop the biscuits by rounded spoonfuls on a cookie sheet pan. In this recipe using a tiny amount of baking powder may help with the airiness, but be advised, use a very small amount, as the cooking time is not really enough to fully cook the powder and the taste will be noticeable. No more than 1 tsp better a half. But honestly I think the suggestions I offered will correct the issue without adding the baking powder.

Now let me recap another few points regarding this specific item.
Having sticky dough is preferable in this application. Make certain you are using cold butter worked well into the Carbquik prior to adding the liquid. Make certain your oven is hot as the extended cooking time in a cooler oven will dry this out. This will also contribute to achieving that "airy" texture you describe.
Finally make certain you only work this dough till it just comes together and not tightly worked as this is a drop biscuit which needs to be a bit loose and sticky. Finally let these cool just a bit before service, this also will contribute to that airy moist texture. Finally if you notice this continues I would suggest you verify that your oven temperature is correct, most issues with baking actually can be traced to improper oven temps.
Old 09-11-2004, 03:49 PM   #89
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Chef, just to let you know why allot of us use Davinci syrups instead of splenda in some recipes is because splenda has 24 carbs per cup. Unless you can get liquid splenda, davinci is the next best thing. Also your recipe for the muffins looks good but 1/2 smashed very ripe banana is too many carbs for me right now, so when I get to maintance I'll give that a try.. Do you count the carbs in splenda in your recipes?
Old 09-11-2004, 04:19 PM   #90
The Low Carb Chef

Of course all carbs are counted. So omit the banana.

Listen I appreciate the Carb count of Splenda, I was only answering the question as it is ask of me. But even at 24 Carbs per cup when you figure the amount per serving in a recipe that is still a bargin. If one is in the total induction phase and maintaining 20 or so grams a day, sweets shouldn't even be a concern or on your list of foods. I personally say get those 20 Carbs where you get the most bang for your Carb, Wonderfully prepared vegetables. However let's look at that 24 grams that you indicate:

Splenda(sucralose) although by FDA rules the .5 carb per teaspoon must be listed here is a medical consideration you may want to consider when using sucralose;

Sucralose is an Ok 'ose'
Though you might have heard anything ending in "ose" means sugar and should be used in moderation, sucralose, the sweetening ingredient in SPLENDA® Brand Sweetener, is an OK "ose". It is not recognized by the body as sugar or as a carbohydrate and has no calories. Sucralose has also been shown not to cause a rise in hemoglobin A1c (a measure of your average blood glucose level over time).