Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2005, 11:44 AM   #841
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DASanders
Stats: 195/150/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 2004
Buying Carbquick

Carbquick was originally sold at Kroger's here in Tennessee. They quit selling it here in the Nashville area a few months back. I bought the last 20 boxes that I found in Smyrna, TN in late August and I have 1.5 boxes left.

I have heard that Sam's Club is carrying the 3 pound boxes though I haven't found it yet. The price online isn't that bad if you buy the 3 pound boxes. Besides, the carb count is lower on the bigger boxes.

Hope that info is correct.

Happy New Year all.

Denice

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2005, 12:23 PM   #842
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sunset
I was watching Paula Deen on Foodnetwork this morning and she had a recipe for Onion Cheese bread. Could someone please help me figure out the nutritional numbers, using Crabquik instead of flour. This looks so good. I haven't used Carbquik much. Would you pack it or put it loosley into the measuring cup. Or would it be better to measure it in ounces. Thanks for your help.

Onion-Cheese Bread ( from Paula Deen).

8 servings

1 Tab oil
3/4 cup finely diced onion
1/2 cup of milk ( use cream insted?)
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 cups biscuit mix ( use Carbquik)
1 cup shredded cheddar
1/2 tsp onion salt
2 Tab melted butter
1 Tab fresh chopped chives or parsley

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Heat oil in pan, add onions and cook until tender, about 7 minutes.

In a large bowl, add biscuit mix, egg, and milk. Stir until just moistened. Fold in onions and 1/2 cup1/2 cup cheese of the cheese.

Spoon dough into a greased 8 inch cake pan. Mix onion salt into the melted butter and drizzle over the dough. Spread with either the chives or parsley. Bake for 15 minutes. Top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Bake until golden about 5 minutes.

Cut into 8 wedges.

Last edited by saljo; 01-03-2005 at 12:27 PM..
Old 01-03-2005, 12:32 PM   #843
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lee140
Stats: 16+/10/8
Start Date: 1/26/04
Quote:
Is this stuff readily available locally, or pretty much only on line?
My understanding is that it's only available in a few states. We don't have it in Michigan yet. I order mine from Netrition, and order it 3 big boxes at a time, since it's a set shipping cost of $4.95.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:40 PM   #844
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
Quote:
Originally posted by DBrown8614
Oh I definitely am going to keep using this...........made the white russian brownies........and the pumpkin bars with cream cheese icing........ate them both myself.............the entire batch .............over several days of course........didn't gain anything.

Oh yeah.........definintely a keeper
Can you share the recipe for the pumpkin cake with cream cheese icing????
Old 01-03-2005, 12:44 PM   #845
Senior LCF Member

For the Onion Cheese bread, I would up the fat and liquid. Carbquik tends to be "thirsty" and I find the texture is better with the addition of extra fat. I would use Hood's Low Carb milk (or an equal mixture of heavy cream and water), and increase the amount if you need to, one tablespoonfull at a time. I would at least double the oil. If I were making it, I would probably try 2 T oil and 2 T softened butter, cut into the Carbquik. Also, use unsalted butter if you have it. I would switch the onion salt to onion powder if you have it, CQ tends to taste salty in breads. Unless you like salty, I'd omit it completely if you don't have onion powder, you already have fresh onions in it. I would stick with the 1 1/2 cups Carbquik. Someone recommended lightly spooning it into the measuring cup with a tablespoon. Don't pack it or tap it down. I've found that works great. One thing I've noticed is that CQ tends to result in a softer dough than flour dough. Through trial and error, I found it's better to stick with a softer dough than to try and add extra CQ to make it seem like flour dough. The texture is better that way. One last tip for CQ is to use a food processor if you have one. For whatever reason, I've had better results using a food processor than hand mixing or handheld mixer, even when I've made the recipe exactly the same otherwise. If you make this recipe, let us know how it turns out, it sounds great!
Old 01-03-2005, 02:59 PM   #846

Lee140 Thanks for the input. I hope someone can come up with a carb count on this recipe. Where is Linda Sue when you need her.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:06 PM   #847

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I put this recipe into MC and this is what I came up with. HOpe it helps.

Onion bread:

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 163 Calories; 13g Fat (62.2% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 47mg Cholesterol; 335mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:01 PM   #848

Thanks sjl330 that is exactly what I wanted.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:40 AM   #849

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Here's what I've come up with for the Onion-Cheese Bread, which sounds extremely yummy. I made a few tweaks to the ingredients based on what Lee140 posted as well as some of my preferences and to lower the carbs a bit. I cut back on the onion, but kept the onion powder because I think it would give a distinctive flavor. I also decided to use BOTH the chives and the parsley for flavor and neither would have many carbs at all.

ONION-CHEESE BREAD (Paula Deen)
2 tablespoons oil or butter (I'd use butter)
2.5 ounces onion, 1 small or scant 1/2 cup
1/2 cup cream or 1/2 cup Carb Countdown whole milk
1 egg
1 1/2 cups Carbquik
4 ounces cheddar cheese, 1 cup
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chives

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Heat the oil or butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until tender, about 7 minutes. In a large bowl, add the milk and egg to the biscuit mix, stirring just until the mix is moistened. Fold in the onions and 1/2 cup of the cheese.

Spoon the dough into a greased 8-inch round cake pan. Mix the onion powder into the melted butter and drizzle the mixture over the dough. Sprinkle the bread with chives or parsley and bake for 15 minutes. Top the bread with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake until the bread is cooked through and the cheese top golden, about 5 minutes longer, Cut the bread into wedges and serve warm with butter.

Yield: 8 wedges

Made with cream:
Per Serving: 225 Calories; 19g Fat; 9g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

Made with Carb Countdown milk:
Per Serving: 196 Calories; 16g Fat; 10g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs
Old 01-04-2005, 08:38 AM   #850
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DBrown8614
Stats: 200/165/125
WOE: Dr. Atkins
Start Date: November 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Aediekins
Can you share the recipe for the pumpkin cake with cream cheese icing????
I will be glad to ...........as soon as I get back home I will look it up and post it for you!
Old 01-04-2005, 02:59 PM   #851

Thanks Linda Sue for your up dates on the Onion- Cheese bread. I am going shopping later this week to get the ingredients. I think it sounds so good. If anyone else tries it please post how you liked it.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:02 PM   #852
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: griffin
WOE: atkins/moderate
Start Date: november 04
my dh made the carbquik brownies, while i was at the store, used cocao powder instead of unsweetened choc, they were excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!will make these again
Old 01-04-2005, 05:40 PM   #853
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Criosa
Stats: 240/171/150
WOE: hhCG, Low Carb
Start Date: In and out since 2003
I made the Onion Cheese Bread tonight, but did a short cut by using 1 Tbsp dried onion flakes. I stirred it in with the 4 Tbsp butter, and all the cheese, since I forgot to set some aside. It was very good.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:02 PM   #854

I made the Onion-Cheese bread today. I didn't have fresh parsley or chives, so I used 1 1/2 tsp of dried instead. The dough is very thick. I sprayed my hands with Pam and pressed it into the pan. This is so good! This recipe is definitely a keeper. Thanks again to Lee 140 and Linda Sue for the suggestions and changes to the origional recipe; that I got from Food TV Paula Deen.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:31 PM   #855

I used Carbquik for the first time last night and I must say that I was a bit disappointed in the sausage gravy and biscuits. The gravy never thickened so I had to add xanthan gum and all I could taste was the sour flavor of the Carbquik in the biscuits. My biscuits weren't at all dry, by the way, and looked just like real biscuits. My husband ate two of them plain while waiting for me to reheat the gravy for him when he got home. He has little sense of taste so they tasted fine to him.

After all the rave reviews of Carbquik, I'm wondering if I'm the only one who tastes the odd flavor. I'm a little afraid to try anything else now and I bought the big box. Should I stick with recipes that have a lot of flavor added to cover up the CQ taste? Here are some of the things I'd planned to try:

Oven-Fried Chicken
Velvet Crumb Cake
Grilled Cheese Sandwich Pie
Lemon Squares
Impossible Coconut Pie
Jaideye's Hearty Griddle Cakes
Onion-Cheese Bread

I'm concerned that the CQ taste might be too strong for the Velvet Crumb Cake, Grilled Cheese Sandwich Pie, Impossible Coconut Pie and Jaideye's Hearty Griddle Cakes. I think the Onion-Cheese Bread probably has enough flavors going on to mask it.

Chef Greg's Country-Style Baking Powder Biscuits

Sausage Gravy and Biscuits
Old 01-05-2005, 02:40 PM   #856
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

i made the brownies last nite with cocoa instead of sf chocolate sq and they were impressive, though i might decrease the baking time by 5 min, but i havent been able to put them down. everything else i tried i was disapointed in, so i guess its trial and error. though i want to try jaideyes chip cookies
Old 01-05-2005, 03:08 PM   #857
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: dmk825
Stats: 265/211/175
WOE: WW Flex/LC
Linda Sue- I think the biscuits are not as good as homemade with flour, but they do have a very similar taste to ones made with Bisquick. They are better than no bisquits at all though! I add a bit of splenda which offsets the odd taste considerably. As for other items, I have found them to be fine - impossible pies, brownies, the cheese bisquits all tasted quite good to me.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:18 PM   #858

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Linda Sue: I agree with you..I don't particularly like the taste
of CQ if it doesn't have lots of other things with it..I never make
the biscuits..but, it's like WPI...sometimes adding a bit of Splenda
helps..My Yummy Pancakes are really good, though...I tend to add
more flavorings and spices to plainer things..It's an experiment..

For the gravy..did you add more fat..or did you have enough
fat..It's like 3 Tbs. of fat to 3 Tbs. of CQ and one cup of liquid..

Butter and cream cheese help mask the flavor, too..

Keep us posted as to what tweaks you are making..
Old 01-05-2005, 03:42 PM   #859
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bigmomma
my best efforts in baking with carbquick were in recipes where the other ingredients (with stronger flavors) "trumped" the flavor of the CQ: brownies, pumpkin spice muffins, lemon sugar cookies and chocolate chip walnut cookies (made both with cream cheese which really "hides" that low-carb weirdness my kids hate so much!) flax nut muffins, corn bread, fried fish coating etc. Seems like I get the best results when the recipe calls for a cup or less of CB. I'm on my third box of the stuff & find it to be a great product for lc treats that I wouldn't dream of eating otherwise...I'm enjoying this thread & the recipes it's produced! Thanks all you intrepid experimenters!
Old 01-05-2005, 03:43 PM   #860
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
I absolutely love the cheddar bay biscuits, also making cobbler with Carbquik is so yummy, and I am a very picky person. Just for those 2 things alone it is worth it to me. I also made the impossible coconut pie and my DH loved it, I do not like coconut so I would not be a good judge of it. I made a impossibe cherry pie that was really good too. I just finished a piece of mixed berry cobbler, I love that stuff.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:11 PM   #861

I've made the biscuits and gravy several times and DH and I both love them! They might not taste exactly like the real thing but certainly close enough to be loved by us. I really don't think they're that different than bisquik biscuits and the gravy tastes the same as I used to make.
I've also made the berry cobbler and we loved that too. I made a jello cake today but haven't tried it yet, so I'll have to post those results later.
Linda Sue, I was really looking forward to you making up all sorts of new things for us to make with this stuff so I hope you start liking it for all our taste buds sakes, lol.

Sandy
Old 01-05-2005, 04:21 PM   #862
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

could i please have the recipe for jello cake!!! its my favorite
Old 01-05-2005, 04:37 PM   #863

Sure, here it is. I've tasted it and it's very good, IMO anyway.
Hope you enjoy it.

* Exported from MasterCook *
Jello Cake

Serving Size : 15

-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups carbquik -- loosely filled measure, do not tap or pack
1 cup splenda
1 package gelatin powder with aspartame -- flavor of your choice (SF/FF Jello)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup shortening -- I used butter flavored Crisco
1 cup carb countdown 2% milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 large eggs
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 cup splenda -- processed in food processor to make powdered sugar

1. Heat oven to 350*.
2. Mix dry ingredients
3. Add shortening, milk and vanilla.
4. Beat on med for 2 minutes.
5. Add eggs and beat for 30 seconds more.
6. Bake in greased 13x9 pan for 35 minutes, or until pick comes out clean

I used the yellow cake recipe from Chefgreg as the basis of this recipe. I just made a couple of additions and changes and it's really good.

Please remember do not tap or pack the Carbquik. If the batter is stiff, add water 1 tablespoon at a time till it is the consitency of a typical cake batter.
I added quite a bit more water, but I still added it just a little at a time til I thought it was the right consistency. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 126 Calories; 10g Fat (61.0% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 26mg Cholesterol; 170mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:10 PM   #864
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eko42
Stats: 184/170/125
WOE: hHCG
Start Date: July 9, 2013
sjl330,

Your jello cake recipe sounds delish! What flavor jello did you use and what did you frost it with?

Thank you in advance,
Erin---
Old 01-05-2005, 06:14 PM   #865
Senior LCF Member

Linda Sue, I made the biscuits and gravy too. My gravy came out ok, although I used Chef Greg's method for making it, instead of the traditional method, and it thickened up fine. I made the Baking Powder Biscuits to go with it, and I thought they were simply awful. When I try it again, I will do so with the regular biscuit recipe, and up the fat.

I don't really like the "CQ" flavor in a lot of things, but in some recipes you can't taste it at all. I think it does best in sweet recipes. Carolyn's right that the Splenda really seems to counter the CQ taste. I've made brownies, cobbler, chocolate chip cookies, Impossible Chocolate Creme Pie, peanut butter cookies, Carolyn's Cream Cheese Cookies and pancakes that all came out great. Note, I used the pancake recipe from the box, but added some Splenda. I like the Cheddar Bay biscuits, but seem to always taste the CQ in them. May try adding a little Splenda to see if that helps. I also made the Chicken Parmesan from the box, and it does work great as a breading. Couldn't taste it at all, it didn't fall off the chicken, and got nice and crispy. I've found that I don't really care for it as a topping in the "Impossible" pies (the savory ones). I actually much prefer your "pie" recipes. Especially White Castle, Coney Island and Sloppy Joe.

I'm with Carolyn, please keep us posted on what you try and any tweaks you come up with!
Old 01-05-2005, 06:28 PM   #866
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NulloModo
Linda -

Your biscuits look lovely! Can you share the method you used? I wish mine had looked like that...

My sausage gravey turned out perfect though. I used 1 lb of Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage, and I believe 1 cup each of CQ and Carb Countdown whole milk. Just kept stirring it over medium-low heat till a bit of the milk cooked off and it took on a great thick perfect sausage-gravey texture and flavor.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:17 PM   #867
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

i bet i could mix sf jello powder with whipped cream, mmm like lemon
Old 01-05-2005, 07:43 PM   #868

I used lime flavor and lime juice mixed with the powdered splenda for the glaze frosting. I'm sorry I didn't make that clear in the recipe. While the cake is still warm, poke holes in it and pour the glaze over it.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:10 PM   #869
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eko42
Stats: 184/170/125
WOE: hHCG
Start Date: July 9, 2013
sjl330,

Thank you for the clarification. I will be trying this recipe in the near future!

Erin---
Old 01-06-2005, 05:03 AM   #870

I used Chef Greg's sausage gravy recipe. Perhaps I should have used my old favorite recipe, but I wanted to give his a shot first. The CQ wouldn't thicken at all for me. The only thing I changed from Chef Greg's recipe is to use 2% Carb Countdown milk instead of whole, which the store doesn't carry. Maybe CQ needs the whole milk to make it thicken properly.

NulloModo, I have to admit that I picked out the nicest-looking biscuits of the batch for the photo. Many of them deflated with baking and weren't nearly as tall.

Here's the recipe I used followed by the one I used to make all the time:

CHEF GREG'S SAUSAGE GRAVY
1 pound pork sausage
1/4 cup Carbquik, 1 ounce
1 1/2 cups Carb Countdown whole milk
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped, optional
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum, optional

Brown the sausage in a large pot; do not drain fat. Sprinkle Carbquik over sausage; stir to blend until no dry bits of Carbquik remain. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until sauce is thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add parsley, if desired. Serve over hot Country-Style Baking Powder Biscuits.

Makes 4-6 servings or about 2 1/2 cups

Per 1/4 Recipe: 437 Calories; 35g Fat; 28g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs
Per 1/6 Recipe: 291 Calories; 23g Fat; 19g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

LINDASUE'S HIGH CARB SAUSAGE GRAVY
1 pound pork sausage
1/2 cup flour
4 cups milk
Salt, pepper and seasoning salt, to taste
1 tablespoons fresh, chopped parsley

Break up and brown the sausage in a large pot; do NOT drain the fat. Stir in the flour until no dry bits remain. Stir in the milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened. Season to taste and stir in the parsley. Serve over hot biscuits.

Makes about 4-6 servings