Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2004, 08:57 AM   #811
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lscoop
Stats: 115, maintaining
WOE: Mostly raw, organic, low-glycemic
Start Date: 8/05
I'm on maintenance (but was trying to lose 4 lbs that I gained between Thanksgiving and all of the early company x-mas parties). I've been eating CarbQuik every day and have lost the 4 lbs while eating it with no reduction in calories! I can vouch for this wholeheartedly.

I can't say the same for Dreamfield's pasta, where, at a minimum, I put on weight (possibly water weight from these carbs) each time I eat even 2 ounces of it...it comes off in a couple of days but that tells me I need to use it sparingly.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2004, 09:32 AM   #812
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rgoodwin
Stats: 287/178/175
WOE: Atkins, then "no sugar, no white flour"
Any ideas for why my dough never came together originally (pulled away from the sides)? I guess maybe mix was too wet? I guess I could have halved the egg and tbsp mix to have it come out a little more dry...
Old 12-26-2004, 10:54 AM   #813
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rgoodwin
Stats: 287/178/175
WOE: Atkins, then "no sugar, no white flour"
Quote:
Originally posted by lscoop
Does that mean you did or did not knead the batter before baking the cookies? Maybe an extra egg or a bit of baking powder would work better than WPI or VWG if you want puffier cookies?
Actually I did add an extra egg, and got more puff than desired :-) I was trying to mimic the packaged mix that I made for the rest of the fam earlier that evening. The "real" ones were splendid sugar cookies, slightly crunchy outside and minimally chewy inside.

Mine were more like sweet biscuits :-)
Old 12-26-2004, 11:07 AM   #814
Senior LCF Member

Ahh, ok, sounds like less egg is better then. And you might want to flatten out the individual cookies before baking as much as possible and check oven settings if you want a more crunchy outside....a slightly drier dough would probably do that better. In all honesty, I love the soft cookies so I probably would have been happy with those chocolate chip "biscuits"!
Old 12-26-2004, 01:13 PM   #815
Senior LCF Member

CarbQuik Pie Crust

Well, I made my first pie crust using Chef Greg's recipe from earlier on in this thread. I only made 1/2 batch for one pie, and refrigerated it for a couple of hours. When I removed it it was cold and not pliable in terms of rolling, so I hand-pressed it into the pie shell, trying to get it fairly even and thin all over. I baked it at 375 until it started to get golden, then turned off the oven....since it was still a bit too soft for my taste, I let it sit in the turned-off oven for another 15 minutes and then the texture was just right! Oh.....I added some sugar to the batter, because this was for a sweet pie and CarbQuik has a naturally slightly salty taste which wouldn't have worked. I used less than an ounce of powdered maltitol. Tonight I will enjoy my first pie in a flour (as opposed to nut) crust in a couple of years. Can't wait!
Old 12-26-2004, 03:30 PM   #816
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
What kind of pie, and let us know how it turns out. Thanks.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:31 PM   #817
Senior LCF Member

Coconut Cream Pie

It turned out BEAUTIFULLY! I'm thrilled!
Well you saw how I made the crust. After I took the crust out of the oven I started on the filling. I adapted it from a couple of high-carb recipes that I found. Here's what I did:

Ingredients:

3 oz Xylitol (or whatever sweetener you like to use)
2 oz Erythritol (or whatever sweetener you like to use)
1.5 oz Powdered Maltitol (or other powdered equivalent or splenda)
Pinch of Cream of Tartar
3 large eggs, separated
1/4 Cup (27.5 grams) CarbQuik
12 oz Carb Countdown 2% Milk
2 oz Heavy Cream
1 3/4 Cups (4 oz) finely flaked unsweetened coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
I also added an ounce of sugar free coconut syrup, but you can either use a bit of coconut extract or omit entirely.

Whisk the first 2 sugars (5 oz) with the egg yolks and CarbQuik in a medium bowl. Bring the milk, cream and coconut to simmer in medium saucepan over medium heat. Gradually add hot mixture to the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Return to saucepan. Cook until the mixture thickens and simmers, stirring constantly, 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and add extracts. Pour into crust (already prepared with CarbQuik, see message above) and refrigerate. A bit later, when the pie is almost chilled, preheat the oven to 400 degrees and use a beater to beat up the 3 egg whites, pinch of cream of tartar and the 1.5 oz of powdered sweetener until stiff peaks form. Put the meringue on top of the pie and immediately place in the hot oven for 5-10 minutes until meringue starts to brown on top. Cool and serve.
Delish! I served it to a bunch of friends tonite (none of them low carb except me) and none of them knew the difference. It was very rich and the sweetness was impeccable!
Old 12-29-2004, 03:46 PM   #818
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

O,K, Remember when I said I made the Chocolate Chip Cookies from CarolynF's recipe and they were all crumbly. Well, today, I crumbled them all up, not hard to do, and made a p[ie crust with them. then made up some Chocolate pudding and poured it in, then I'm , gonna add a dollup of whipped cream on top. Voila, Chocolate Chip Chocolate Cream Pie. I'll let you know. although I can't see why it wouldn't be great, as the cookies are great, and the pudding is great. HUMMMMM
Old 12-30-2004, 07:54 AM   #819
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wine2
Stats: 5'7 53 y.o.189/175/165 (size:14,12,10)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 12/26/11
You know the CQ creamcheese cookies with jam in the center that are kinda crumbly, but delicious, well...I reduced the butter called for in them and they didn't fall apart this time! Yummmy! I think CarolynF posted that recipe and it's a keeper!
Old 12-30-2004, 08:20 AM   #820
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: showgirl
Stats: 127/116/115 5'3"
WOE: diet free!
Start Date: 3/1/05
wine2

hey you may be on to something. how much butter did you cut out?
Old 12-30-2004, 09:18 AM   #821
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Quote:
Originally posted by Wine2
You know the CQ creamcheese cookies with jam in the center that are kinda crumbly, but delicious, well...I reduced the butter called for in them and they didn't fall apart this time! Yummmy! I think CarolynF posted that recipe and it's a keeper!

Hummmm, that's weird. I had no trouble with Carolyn's recipe when I made this cookie but I just made sure it was a normal cookie texture dough before baking them. But they stayed together very well for me.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:38 PM   #822
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lee140
Stats: 16+/10/8
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/26/04
Mine weren't crumbly, but they were very tender. The taste was delicious! I also have made them and added unsweetened cocoa, extra sweetener (malitol, because it's chocolate) and topped with a pecan halve. Those were wonderful too, but were a little more soft than the regular recipe.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:50 PM   #823
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh my gosh, Per the above post, I mad a crust out of the cookies and chocolate pudding with a little whipped cream. It was out of this world. It certainly did not taste like low carb. j This is a keeper. I cut in about a fourth stick of butter, and baked it for a little bit, like 10-15 minutes, then poured in the Pudding and refrigerated. I'm gonna make this again.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:55 AM   #824
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Last night I made the most delicious Chicken Pot Pie..

I used Chefgreg's Pate au Choux recipe..halved it..and plopped
it on top of my chicken, sauce, veggie mixture..I spread it out
and baked it for 25 to 30 minutes at 400..It was wonderfully rich..

Here is the recipe for the crust:

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup CQ
2 eggs

In a saucepan heat the butter and water until hot and melted..
Then lower the temp on the stove and quickly add the CQ and stir like crazy until it's smooth and pulls away from the pan..Remove from heat, keep stirring then add one egg at a time..
stirring until incorporated..Use a whisk or a large fork..I did return
it to the stove a minute or two and kept stirring until it was like a cream puff mixture..Plop over chicken pie or beef pie and spread it out..and bake..
Old 12-31-2004, 11:03 AM   #825
Senior LCF Member

You're going to be a very loved woman, Carolyn. Everyone's been looking for a way to make good pot pies! I have leftover turkey in the freezer that has "pot pie" written all over it!
Old 12-31-2004, 11:30 AM   #826
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Motts Landing
Start Date: restarted Jan 08'
Quote:
Originally posted by CarolynF
Last night I made the most delicious Chicken Pot Pie..

I used Chefgreg's Pate au Choux recipe..halved it..and plopped
it on top of my chicken, sauce, veggie mixture..I spread it out
and baked it for 25 to 30 minutes at 400..It was wonderfully rich..
okay...this sounds too good BUT..I have never ever made a pot pie. So....do tell....how do you make the chicken pie "filling"? Anyone have carb counts for a completed pot pie using the crust this way? Thanks! Happy New Year!!
Julie
Old 12-31-2004, 01:19 PM   #827
Senior LCF Member

There are lots of ways to make fillings. I just get creative and use what I have. You can use chicken, turkey, or beef leftovers. I would usually make a roux with butter and CarbQuik in equal amounts (a good rule of thumb would be 1 tablespoon of each for each cup of milk to be added--you can always mix heavy cream and water in equal amounts and use that instead of milk), then add low-carb milk and cook slowly until the mixture thickens, adding seasonings or boullion flakes to get the flavor you want. Mix the meat, creamy sauce and any veggies (if they're cooked or at least al dente when added that's best) and it's ready to go in the oven. You can use veggies such as broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, squash, etc. cut up into bite sizes (the meat needs to also be in bite-sized bits).

The way I would make a pot pie may be different from other people....I like crust on all sides of my pot pie, so I would make a simple crust first......just CarbQuik and water (you can cut it with butter if you like, but I try to avoid the extra calories and found that butter is NOT necessary with CarbQuik to make a nice crust!). It's not necessary to roll out this dough first....just press it along the bottom and sides of the pot pie pan that you're going to use....get the dough nice and flat and thin, because it will puff up some. If you have extra set it aside and use it towards the upper crust (see below).

Put the crust in the oven (350-400) until golden....then let it sit until cooled. Then put your pot pie mixture (above) into the crust, and then make another smaller crust to lay on top of the pot pie (using leftovers from your lower crust if you have any). Then bake at 350 until center is hot and top is golden. If your center ingredients are already warm or hot, the timing will work better. If you have let them get cold, I'd warm them up first. You don't want a crust that is golden on top with a center that is still cold. It probably won't take more than 15 minutes or so to get the upper crust cooked.

Have fun.....get creative! Happy New Year! Laurie

Last edited by lscoop; 12-31-2004 at 01:21 PM..
Old 12-31-2004, 02:55 PM   #828

Thanks for explaining the pot pie, Laurie..

What I did was to use 3 Tbs. butter, melted and 3 Tbs. CQ..and
cook it in a saucepan until thick..I added canned chicken broth and
a little half and half to it...cooked until thickish..add cooked veggies and your cooked chicken..You might also use some cream of chicken soup for your liquid..

Obviously my pot pie only had only a top..but the flavor was fabulously rich..not biscuity or doughy at all..

Carolyn
Old 12-31-2004, 05:09 PM   #829
Senior LCF Member

That sounds wonderful, Carolyn. See how easy it is? This is making me lust after another one. I just finished baking a cake and have a rib roast ready to cook this weekend, so I'll probably have to wait a week but am just anticipating the taste of the next one....Yum! Happy New Year! Laurie
Old 01-01-2005, 07:57 AM   #830
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: griffin
WOE: atkins/moderate
Start Date: november 04
is aNYONE STILL HAVING PROBLEMS WITH SALTY TASTE? I JUST WONDEr if its my box.i still have the same one at the time everyone was saying how salty it was. i have another but havent opened it thanks
Old 01-01-2005, 08:09 AM   #831

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I'm on my 3rd box and haven't noticed a salty taste. I've read about it and either don't add any added salt to the recipes or reduce it. Maybe that has helped but to me everything tastes just like it would from Bisquik. Why don't you try your new box and see if that is any different and try not adding any salt.
Good luck.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:37 AM   #832
Senior LCF Member

Yes, I do notice a salty taste.....it's fine with the non-sweet pies, and is easily hidden with the addition of a sugar substitute when you want to make something sweet with it. I made a dessert crust and added some maltitol (and not even very much...probably only 1 oz) and the pie crust was great.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:03 PM   #833
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rrosser
I am on my second box and it still has a salty taste to me, as well as another funny taste that I just can't put my finger on. It can't be due to the salt in the recipes because I never add any salt since I do not like salt and I welt up when I eat any.

I honestly don't know why CQ tastes salty to me since I don't know what all is in it that contains salt or imitates a salty taste.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:24 PM   #834

I agree with you and the "funny taste"..That's why I like CQ mixed
in with other ingredients to mask the taste..If it has Wheat Protein Isolate in it, then that is very salty..naturally...To me, celery is very salty..
Old 01-01-2005, 02:11 PM   #835
Senior LCF Member

CQ tastes salty because it IS salty....110 mg sodium per 17 grams.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:50 PM   #836
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NulloModo
Hmm, I haven't noticed a salty taste at all, in fact, I added extra salt when using it for pizza crust/biscuits. Perhaps some people just have a higher salt sensitivity.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:04 PM   #837
Senior LCF Member

I've noticed the salty taste in some things. I compensate by not adding salt to recipes, and by using unsalted butter. I've noticed that CQ taste in some things as well, but have found that although it doesn't really work for some recipes, Carbquik is so great in others that I will always have it on hand!
Old 01-03-2005, 09:32 AM   #838
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MORE2GO
Stats: 240/184.5/150
Start Date: October 2003
I agree, there is definately a "carbquick taste" to some things.
Sometimes, I will purposely over season what ever I am making to try to cover up the taste, sometimes it works sometimes not.

I'm not willing to give it up though no matter if I get the "taste" or saltiness, it is still waaaay better than anything else out there!

Last edited by MORE2GO; 01-03-2005 at 09:35 AM..
Old 01-03-2005, 10:25 AM   #839
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DBrown8614
Stats: 200/165/125
WOE: Dr. Atkins
Start Date: November 2003
Oh I definitely am going to keep using this...........made the white russian brownies........and the pumpkin bars with cream cheese icing........ate them both myself.............the entire batch .............over several days of course........didn't gain anything.

Oh yeah.........definintely a keeper
Old 01-03-2005, 11:21 AM   #840

Gallery: doxielvr
Is this stuff readily available locally, or pretty much only on line? Thx.