Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2004, 06:30 PM   #781
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
TovaRep, according to the chart you just posted, the net carbs per cup have been reduced by about half what they were before. Is that correct? Based on the counts from the 3 pound box label, I come up with 12.98 net carbs per 110 grams (1 cup) of Carbquik and not 6.

I also noticed that your chart says that 1 cup weighs 3.88 ounces. Chefgreg told us that 1 cup weighed 4 3/8 ounces. Has the weight per cup changed due to the new formula?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2004, 08:15 PM   #782
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lscoop
Stats: 115, maintaining
WOE: Mostly raw, organic, low-glycemic
Start Date: 8/05
TovaRep CarbQuik Chart

Hi Tova Rep

According to my calculations, if 110 grams has 6.1 net carbs, then 17 grams (the serving size listed on my 3-lb box) should only have .94 net carbs. Yet it's rounded all the way up to 2 carbs, not 1. Can you explain this discrepancy? Thanks!
Old 12-15-2004, 09:10 PM   #783
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TovaRep
Re: TovaRep CarbQuik Chart

Quote:
Originally posted by lscoop
Hi Tova Rep

According to my calculations, if 110 grams has 6.1 net carbs, then 17 grams (the serving size listed on my 3-lb box) should only have .94 net carbs. Yet it's rounded all the way up to 2 carbs, not 1. Can you explain this discrepancy? Thanks!
This discrepancy has to do with FDA guidelines. By their guidelines, Net Carbs have to equal Total Carbs - Fiber. Since those are each rounded, this is where the discrepancy comes from.

The panel lists 10g carbs and 8g fiber. There could be (for example) 9.5g carbs and 8.4g fiber. This would have to round (by guidelines) to 2 net carbs even though it's closer to 1. I'll get you the specific numbers by the end of the week.

Last edited by TovaRep; 12-15-2004 at 09:13 PM..
Old 12-15-2004, 11:05 PM   #784
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Tova Rep.....I had a feeling it would be something like that (rounding of fiber AND carbs). I'd love to see the exact numbers! It would also be helpful to maybe put multiple serving sizes on the box panel too, especially if people are counting more carbs than they need to be! I.e, show what's in a 110 G cup, for example. That's always the problem with showing the tiny portion sizes.....

I tried the biscuits tonight for the first time. I love that you only need to add water to make them! What's the best way to make a 1/4 batch (using only 1/2 Cup CarbQuik and 1/6 Cup Water)? It's not enough to use with a beater, but it was kind of hard to get the lumps out with a whisk....the biscuits came out a bit too dry, and I don't know if that's from over or under-mixing. The dough was a good consistency for a dough but definitely NOT something that I could "spoon" onto the sheet. I had to do that with my hands. Does that mean mainly that I need more water to have a consistency that's almost like a thick batter?

Thanks for your help!
Old 12-16-2004, 06:47 PM   #785
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: griffin
WOE: atkins/moderate
Start Date: november 04
HI, I MADE THE BLUE BERRY MUFFINS, THEY WERE TRYING TO RISE OUT OUT OF THE BOWL WHILE I WAS FISHING IN THE FREEZER FOR BLUBBERRIES!LOOKED A LITTLE THICK, SO I ADDED A PINCH MORE WATER AND A SHOT OF DIVINCHIS RASBERRY YUMMY!!! HAD TO TEAR MY SELF AWAY, AND MY DAUGHTER DID THE HAPPY DANCE WHEN SHE TASTED THEM. THIS IS THE FIRST THING IVE MADE,PRETTY TASTY.ALSO I HAVE A BISQUICK COOKBOOK, THE MEASUREMENTS ARE PRETTY MUCH THE SAME , CEPT ALITTLE MORE LIQUID
Old 12-22-2004, 10:21 AM   #786
Senior LCF Member

It's Quiet Around Here!!

This thread has been awfully silent lately.....hope it's just the holidays. I got my CarbQuik a week or two ago and have been busily cooking away with it.....biscuits (need some work on my part, I think....), zucchini pancakes (awesome!!), fried zucchini (the CarbQuik worked well as a tempura batter, mixed with liquid, but don't make it too thick or it will be more like a corn dog with a very thick bread wrap), and I LOVED doing fried chicken with the CarbQuik--both in my deep fryer and oven baked with a bit of oil spray on top of the breading. Hubby loved the chicken and pancakes too, but hated the biscuits (he's not a low-carber and needs to be gaining weight, so it's a challenge to feed him the same foods that I eat). The best thing that I can report is that I had no weight change or water retention from using the CarbQuik (unlike the effect that Dreamfield's pasta has on me), so I believe that I can use it as much as my low-carbing allows without worrying about putting on weight or water weight. That's great news!

Happy Holidays, all!
Old 12-22-2004, 11:33 AM   #787
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I really like the recipe for Kim's Cinnamon Flaxmeal Muffins. Today, I made them with 1 1/4 tsp. banana extract, no cinnamon, a 1/2 & 1/2 mixture of Erythritol and liquid Splenda, and subbed Carbquik for half the flax. Then I sprinkled a few chopped pecans on top of the batter before baking. OMG! I spread them with cream cheese and they were "eyes rolled back in your head" good! They had a less "eggy" texture. MMMmmmmm.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:35 AM   #788
Senior LCF Member

Wow, Laurie, you look like Fergie! (I'm Laurie too, by the way)...
Could you post the recipe for those Flaxmeal muffins?....they sound delish!
Old 12-22-2004, 01:30 PM   #789
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NulloModo
Hiya All,

I am new to the Lowcarbfriends forums, but I have been doing Atkins for the past 15 months, and I mod the cooking/food forums over at [color=red]removed[/color].Looks to be a really nice forum y'all have here.

This carbquick stuff looks very promising, and reading this thread head to tail has prompted me to place an order for a 3lb box of the stuff, which should be delivered today.

I am really interested in perhaps using it for a pizza crust. I have seen the recipe for one crust, which looks like the crust mike come out sort of biscuity/bready. I am more interested in making a very traditional style pizza crust. I have experimented a lot with flax, WPI, oat fiber, soy flour, and other things, and while I have gotten flavor in some blends, and texture in others, I have never completely nailed it, I am hoping this mix proves to be the key.

I am wondering if perhaps adding a couple tablespoons of Wheat Protein Isolate to the CarbQuick might somehow give it the elasticity and texture of a real pizza dough. Has anyone here tried this, or does anyone have any suggestions on where I might want to start on this venture? Your suggestions are most appreciated.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:42 PM   #790
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
Quote:
Wow, Laurie, you look like Fergie! (I'm Laurie too, by the way)...
Yes, I've been told many times that I look like Fergie!

Here's the original recipe:

KIM'S FLAXMEAL CINNAMON MUFFINS

3 eggs
1/4 cup plus 2 T. oil
1/4 cup s.f. syrup, such as DaVinci (I used brown sugar flavored)
2 T. water
1 T. vanilla
1 cup flaxmeal
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 T. cinnamon (the amount is correct)

In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with a fork. With a fork or spoon, beat in oil, syrup, water and vanilla. In small bowl, combine remaining dry ingredients, then stir into egg mixture. Let stand 5 minutes. Spoon into 12 well-greased muffin cups (w/o papers). Bake at 350* 12-15 minutes, or until they are lightly browned and seem set to the touch. Remove from tin at once to cooling rack. Store in refrigerator.

Makes 12 muffins (1 net carb each) Can be frozen.

I don't care for the taste of Splenda (or DaVinci) by itself, so I always sub Erythritol for some of it. I also usually add about a 1/2 tsp. salt because it needs it. Lately I've been making it with butter instead of oil because I think it's just as good.

So, today, this was the ingredient list:

3 eggs
6 T. butter, melted and cooled
1/4 c. erythritol
3 drops liquid Splenda
2 T. water
1 T. vanilla
1 1/4 tsp. banana extract
1/2 cup flaxmeal
1/2 cup Carbquik
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
Chopped pecans for top (or you can mix in)

Next, I'm going to try adding 1/2 cup of pumpkin and some pumpkin pie spice instead of banana extract. Perhaps I'll use a little more Carbquik to make up for the extra moisture of the pumpkin. Enjoy!
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
Old 12-22-2004, 02:17 PM   #791
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Here ya go on Kim's recipe:

KIM'S FLAXMEAL CINNAMON MUFFINS

3 eggs
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons oil
1/4 cup sugar free syrup, such as Da Vinci (I used brown sugar flavored)
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup flaxmeal
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons cinnamon (the amount is correct)

In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with a fork. With a fork or spoon, beat in oil, syrup, water and vanilla. In small bowl, combine remaining dry ingredients, then stir into egg mixture. Let stand 5 minutes. Spoon into 12 well-greased muffin cups (without papers). Bake at 350┬║ 12-15 minutes, or until they are lightly browned and seem set to the touch. Remove from tin at once to cooling rack. Store in refrigerator.

Makes 12 muffins (1 net carb each)

These taste remarkably like bran muffins, but with a lighter texture. Mine had pointy peaks on them, so they look a little funny, but they taste fine. They sliced nicely even when still hot from the oven. I don't know yet if they can be frozen, but will try freezing one and post back the results later.

For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. (2 Chr 16:9 KJV)
Old 12-22-2004, 02:21 PM   #792
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Well, nuts, I didn't see someone else gave Kim's recipe earlier. Sorry!
Old 12-22-2004, 04:36 PM   #793
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bigmomma
Hi Nullo (and welcome!) I haven't tried pizza crust yet but the yeast rolls (somewhere in the CQ recipes thread) had a pretty good texture & flavor, you know that yeasty, warm-bread-is-cookin'-in-the-oven smell? I'm not a home pizza baker, so sorry, I'm not much help. (but I have chocolate chip cookies in the oven as I type!) I look forward to people like you figuring it all out as I have a 13 year old son (a little on the chubby side) who is doing quite well & becoming more fit by limiting his carbs who would LOVE having pizza from time to time.

Kay

(edited to add the recipe is found on the 1st pg, fourth post)

Last edited by bigmomma; 12-22-2004 at 04:38 PM..
Old 12-24-2004, 03:54 AM   #794
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mrsadm
Stats: Way too big/Too big/Much smaller
WOE: Atkins
Hello Nullo, I recognized your name from egullet. Welcome to this forum.

I have not tried CarbQuik yet for pizza crust, but the muffins and foccacia that I made were delicious. I've ordered two more 3-lb. boxes of the stuff!

Good luck with your experimentation and let us know what you make.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:11 AM   #795
Senior LCF Member

Update time:

I made my first batch of CarbQuick based pizza dough, using the following recipe:

1 1/2 Cups CQ
4 T WPI
1 T Polydextrose
1 t yeast
1 packet of sugar (Yeast food)
3/4 Cups water
2 T oil

I mixed it, kneaded it in the food processor on dough setting till it looked doughy, and then let it rise till doubled (about 45 minutes).

I topped it with a little bit of tomato sauce, some pepperoni, and mozerella.

Tossed it all into the oven at 500 degrees for a little under ten minutes.

Results:

The crust cooked very quickly in the untopped areas, and underneath. It was a little doughy still in the middle under the toppings.

Flavor and texture: This was the best I have tried so far in coming close to a real pizza dough. Taste has a subtle WPI flavor, so I may use a little less next time.

Ideally, I would like to avoid a crust that needs to be pre-baked, rather something that works like a real one: top it, and toss it into a blazing oven for a bit. However, I think with this particular crust perhaps pre-baking it might have solved my doughy in the middle problem. I am also thinking that perhaps a pizza stone would have helped, so I will swing by Home Depot later this week and pick something suitable up before trying again.

This obviously needs some more experimentation, but this is the closest I have come so far, I'm starting to smell the Holy Grail.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:26 PM   #796
Senior LCF Member

WPI?

What's WPI? Thanks!
Old 12-24-2004, 03:35 PM   #797
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rgoodwin
Stats: 287/178/175
WOE: Atkins, then "no sugar, no white flour"
Whey protein isolate I'm thinking...One of the shake mixes?
Old 12-24-2004, 04:06 PM   #798
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
No, it's not a shake mix, it is a type of flour that you can get on-line.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:40 PM   #799
Senior LCF Member

Sorry to be obtuse: WPI is Wheat Protein Isolate, basically 100% pure wheat gluten, or, wheat minus all the fiber and starch. It imparts the stretchy and flavor aspects of wheat, but not any of the carbs. It is a great LC baking aid, but needs to be combined with other 'flours' to get a good effect.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:53 PM   #800
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the replies, all! I have it (unflavored Whey Protein Isolate), just couldn't put together the acronym. I think I have everything that it takes to make a good bread or dough now. I tried the CarbQuik yeast rolls last night, but they didn't rise well--possibly I should have been using the quick super-active yeast instead of regular yeast, so I got some today and will try again in a week (after I finish about a dozen VERY small lumpy rolls :-))......they're edible, but still not the "real" thing. I'll keep on trying.....
Old 12-24-2004, 04:57 PM   #801
Senior LCF Member

Lscoop -

Do you have Whey Protein Isolate or Wheat Protein Isolate? They are quite different things. What I am talking about is Wheat Protein Isolate, not the whey (which has its uses, but isn't something I would use to bake a loaf of bread).
Old 12-24-2004, 05:40 PM   #802
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: showgirl
Stats: 127/116/115 5'3"
WOE: diet free!
Start Date: 3/1/05
Quote:
Originally posted by NulloModo
Lscoop -

Do you have Whey Protein Isolate or Wheat Protein Isolate? They are quite different things. What I am talking about is Wheat Protein Isolate, not the whey (which has its uses, but isn't something I would use to bake a loaf of bread).
is wheat protein isolate vital wheat gluten? what is a brand name of wheat protein isolate? there should be a low carb glossarywith all these different products. all this just to stay healthy, sheesh
Old 12-24-2004, 05:55 PM   #803
Senior LCF Member

WPI

Whoops, thanks for clarifying this for me. I indeed have Whey Protein Isolate, NOT Wheat.....where can you purchase Wheat Protein Isolate? I've never seen (or even heard of) it until now!
Old 12-24-2004, 06:05 PM   #804
Senior LCF Member

WPI

Hmmmm, just did some online research and found Wheat Protein Isolate. It's a bit like Vital Wheat Gluten, but has almost ALL carbs removed so it's almost all protein. Here are the nutrition facts per ounce of each:

Wheat Protein Isolate: 110 cal, 1.5g fat, 1g carb, 24g protein
Vital Wheat Gluten: 109 cal, 0 fat, 9.3g carb, 15.5g protein

Guess I'll have to get myself some WPI to use. Thanks for introducing yet another great product! Now I have to check to see whether they have it here at Netrition or if I'll have to go elsewhere.....

Thanks!
Old 12-24-2004, 08:08 PM   #805
Junior LCF Member

Just made a half batch of "sugar cookies" from Alton Brown's "Cookie Clause" episode of Good Eats.

The dough wasn't "pulling away" from the sides of the bowl when I had the ingredients in, so I added more CQ, then added another egg and more CQ (I got a little frazzled :-)).

Long story short, my cookies didn't come out crumbly like before, but DID puff up really big ;-) So Richard may have learned his very first real world lesson about baking, wherein whole eggs add VOLUME to baked goods

Now that I have my 3lb box of CQ, I don't mind experimenting and I think I may get the hang of this baking thing
Old 12-24-2004, 08:12 PM   #806
Junior LCF Member

Re: WPI

Quote:
Originally posted by lscoop
[B]Hmmmm, just did some online research and found Wheat Protein Isolate. It's a bit like Vital Wheat Gluten, but has almost ALL carbs removed so it's almost all protein.
If I have VWG () and don't mind the carbs, does it equal WPI (roughly?). What purpose does it serve in the recipe? I actually bought some thinking it would help my cookie dough become more "stretchy" like gluten but completely forgot to try it tonight.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:48 PM   #807
Senior LCF Member

I'm sure you could use VWG instead, in fact, it might even work better. I just can't use VWG because the carb content/starch in it stalls me out flat. Ugh, I am too sensitive to some stuff.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:55 PM   #808
Junior LCF Member

So if I have a "stock" let's say cookie recipe, just toss in a Tbsp of VWG and it should impart some "strength" to the dough? (don't know if that's the right way to express it)
Old 12-25-2004, 03:37 AM   #809
Senior LCF Member

I might use a little more VWG than a tablespoon, and make sure you cut down on some of the other dry ingredients a bit to make up for the extra bulk. I haven't done a whole lot of cookie baking, so, it would be a good idea to experiment some. The thing about VWG and WPI though is that they need some kneading to 'wake up' the gluten. If you don't knead you cookie dough (and for some reason I don't think cookie dough gets kneaded) it might not do anything worthwhile. The chewiness of cookies usually comes from sugar, so we are back to SAs or polydextrose again.

BTW - Merry Christmas everyone.
Old 12-25-2004, 09:26 AM   #810
Senior LCF Member

Does that mean you did or did not knead the batter before baking the cookies? Maybe an extra egg or a bit of baking powder would work better than WPI or VWG if you want puffier cookies?