Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2004, 11:12 PM   #721
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: showgirl
Stats: 127/116/115 5'3"
WOE: diet free!
Start Date: 3/1/05
Re: showgirl

Quote:
Originally posted by lgpars
Where did you find the lower carb impossible coconut cream pie recipe? Can you post it or tell me which page and what thread it's in? Thanks.
lgprs-i didn't do the coconut cream pie but the apple. substituted 1 pound of frozen peaches for the apples and added nutmeg. so i had a peach cobber! but i did find a coconut pie for you. not sure if this is what you were looking for:

Impossibly Easy Coconut Pie (susies1955)

1/2 cup Carbquik
2 cups Carb Countdown milk
1 cup unsweetened coconut
3/4 cup splenda (I used 6 packages & 3/4 t liquid splenda)
1/4 cup butter or margarine (I softened it in the microwave)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
4 eggs
1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease 9-inch pie plate.
2. Stir all ingredients until blended. Pour into pie plate.
3. Bake 50 to 55 minutes ( I baked 50 but would bake it less next time and test it) or until golden brown and knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cover and refrigerate any remaining pie.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2004, 12:44 AM   #722
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sososo
Stats: 315/188/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Feb 2003
Thankyou ever-so-much Igpars, I was afraid I was crazy. It is comforting to know another person notices bitter after-tast. Perhaps we have super-senitive taste sensors
Old 12-04-2004, 06:20 AM   #723
CLM
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CLM
Originally posted by Lee140
"I suspect that I made a mistake on the other dish I made. I tried the Impossible Lasange. I ended up with a crust that was at least an inch high across the top. Any ideas what I did wrong, or what the finished product's SUPPOSED to be like?"

My lasagna came out with the crust on top also. It was good but I've been wondering what went wrong. The crust is supposed to be on the bottom right?
Old 12-04-2004, 05:17 PM   #724
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
showgirl, that coconut pie is a different recipe than the one I made. Perhaps it might be better. I made the Carbquik Impossible Coconut Pie.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:50 PM   #725
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Quote:
Originally posted by CLM
"I suspect that I made a mistake on the other dish I made. I tried the Impossible Lasange. I ended up with a crust that was at least an inch high across the top. Any ideas what I did wrong, or what the finished product's SUPPOSED to be like?"

My lasagna came out with the crust on top also. It was good but I've been wondering what went wrong. The crust is supposed to be on the bottom right?
The crust is supposed to be on the top-
(not sure what would make it an inch high though-
maybe your pan was too small? Mine was 9 X 9")

Old 12-05-2004, 04:03 AM   #726
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lee140
Stats: 16+/10/8
Start Date: 1/26/04
Pami-
Thanks for the picture. That's not what mine looked like at all! Mine came out with a crust on the top that was at least an inch high! Very bready and porous. I'll try this recipe again, because yours looks delicious! By the way, I tried your brownie recipe, and it was excellent! I'm going to try the cobbler next. We have a family recipe that's very similar that I'm thinking would work with CQ. I like to make this with a combination of frozen blackberries and peaches. I'm thinking it would work "lowcarb" since it's very similar to your recipe. What do you think?

Skillet Cobbler
3/4 cup Carbquik (originally self rising flour)
3/4 cup LC Milk
1 cup Splenda
1 stick butter
29oz can fruit or 2 cups frozen fruit*

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in cast iron skillet in oven. Mix Splenda and flour together in bowl and slowly pour milk in. Pour this batter over the butter. Carefully spoon fruit on top (including juices). Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. Batter rises to top.

* If you're using frozen fruit, mix 2 cups frozen fruit with 1/2-1 cup sweetnener and 1/2 cup-1 cup water in pan on stovetop. Bring to a boil and simmer about 15 minutes until just slightly thickened.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:12 AM   #727
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Lee140 let us know how this turns out. It looks great.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:16 AM   #728
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
Maybe put a sprinkle of xanthan gum in with the frozen fruit/water/splenda mix. Sugar would thicken it slightly, but splenda doens't thicken as well. Xanthan gum would help to give it a thicker cosistency.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:51 AM   #729

Quote:
I'm going to try the cobbler next. We have a family recipe that's very similar that I'm thinking would work with CQ. I like to make this with a combination of frozen blackberries and peaches. I'm thinking it would work "lowcarb" since it's very similar to your recipe. What do you think?

Quote:
Originally posted by Aediekins
Maybe put a sprinkle of xanthan gum in with the frozen fruit/water/splenda mix. Sugar would thicken it slightly, but splenda doens't thicken as well. Xanthan gum would help to give it a thicker cosistency.

Personally, I would NOT use xanthan in this- I don't use any
xanthan or guar or anything in mine, and it comes out perfect!
(I just can't get past the sticky, stretchy, gluey texture of xanthan.)
If you're concerned about it being soupy or watery, you might
just leave out some of the water called for in the original recipe.
(That's what I did when I modified MY cobbler recipe.)
I think your recipe would work, with Carbquik, LC milk and Splenda,
and *maybe* just a touch less water.
I might have to try this myself!
HTH

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it by the book...
It's not a stall when you're cheating!
If you don't want to do something, one excuse is as good as any other. (Yiddish Proverb)
~Proud to be a Famous Banta Babe~
Old 12-05-2004, 11:20 AM   #730
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Or, if you hbave any clear jel, you could use this, as it is one of the reasons this is made.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:41 PM   #731
Major LCF Poster!

geez- just a suggestion.

(If you're getting a gluey texture, you're using way too much anyway.)
Old 12-05-2004, 01:22 PM   #732
Major LCF Poster!

QUICK CINNAMON ROLLS

I just made these and they are very good!!

1 2/3 cup CQ
1 Tbls Splenda
1/2 cup low-carb milk (or 1/4 cup cream and 1/4 cup water)
1/2 cup softened butter
1/4 cup brown sugar substitute
(I used 1/4 cup Splenda and 1/2 Tbls Molasses mashed with the back of a spoon until well mixed)
2 teaspoons cinnamon (or 3 if you like them really flavorful)
1/2 cup nuts (Optional)

In a bowl combine CQ, 1 Tbls Splenda and milk until moist. Let it sit for a minute. Stir again until well combined. Sprinkle some Carbquik on a kneading surface and turn dough onto surface.

Knead for approx. 3-4 minutes. Add more carbquik if necessary to keep dough from sticking.

Roll into a rectangle shape. (It helped me to roll only in one direction instead of back and forth.)

Spread butter over entire rectangle, then sprinkle with cinnamon and brown sugar substitute.

Roll up lengthwise and slice into 6-8 rolls.

Bake at 400 degreees for 20 minutes. Spread icing over top and serve warm!

Icing-

1/4 block of cream cheese
1/3 cup UNSALTED Butter
3/4 cup Splenda
1 teaspoon vanilla

Whip on high speed for 2 minutes

Low-Carb foods are not created equal
Enjoy- cream, butter, coconut oil, olive oil, fresh chicken, fish, beef, pork, bacon, sausage, cheese, LC veggies, berries/melon, dressings, stevia, chocolate (75% cocoa) and red wine
Avoid - Mayo, canola oil, too much protein, processed LC foods (tortillas, candy, shakes, bars) Splenda and other artificial sweeteners, corn products (xanthan gum, dextrose, maltodextrin)
Old 12-05-2004, 01:25 PM   #733

Gallery: fla gal 57
Stats: yr.2000--325 lbs. now in yr. 2004 215 lbs.
Start Date: nov. 2000
Pami, i want that recipe for your lasanga pie..........
do you have it posted anywhere?
Old 12-05-2004, 01:51 PM   #734
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Aedie, Even though I called you a party pooper on the thread about Russel Stover chocolate Santas, I take it all back because of this recipe. I am going to try it now. I have really been missing Cinnamon Rolls, however, I'm not sure why, as I never ate them before this WOE. Thank you. Julie
Old 12-05-2004, 02:58 PM   #735
Major LCF Poster!

The cinnamon rolls are 6 net carbs each if sliced into 8 rolls.

But that's because I use the splenda/Mollases combo. If you use a brown sugar substitute with no carbs, it will be 4.5 per roll.

Also I doubled the cinnamon to 4 teaspoons. It gives a stronger cinnamon flavor, but that's how cinnabons are.

Last edited by Aediekins; 12-05-2004 at 03:00 PM..
Old 12-05-2004, 04:06 PM   #736
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

And, i love it to be cinnonmy. I have diabetsweet brown sugar, so I'll try that, and let you know.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:34 PM   #737

Quote:
Originally posted by fla gal 57
Pami, i want that recipe for your lasanga pie..........
do you have it posted anywhere?

Impossible Lasagne Pie

1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 pound ground beef, browned and drained
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
6 ounces tomato paste

1 cup Carb Countdown 2%
2 eggs
2/3 cup Carbquick
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 400F. Grease an 8-inch square pan; set aside.
Layer cottage cheese and Parmesan cheese in prepared pan.
Mix cooked beef, 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese, the oregano, basil and tomato paste;
spoon evenly over top.
Beat milk, eggs, baking mix, salt and pepper until smooth;
15 seconds in blender on high- or 1 minute with hand beater.
Pour into pan.
Bake until golden brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Per Serving (based on 6 servings): 430 Calories; 31g Fat (62.0% calories from fat);
28g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 152mg Cholesterol; 1010mg Sodium

Edited to add: I don't like melty cheese on top of casseroles, so my cheese
went on after baking for about 20 minutes. It then baked for another 10
minutes or so- that's why it looks like it's browned in the picture.

Last edited by Pami; 12-05-2004 at 04:37 PM..
Old 12-06-2004, 11:22 AM   #738
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kahli6
WOE: My Own Low Carb Lifestyle
Start Date: 1976
Non-soggy pie crust

This is my first posting here, hope I'm doing it correctly! I love this stuff-- and all your ideas and recipes are great.

I made my first pie for Thanksgiving and threw away the first attempt at crust, but for the second one I mixed half Carbquik and half macadamia flour (could use almond or pecan flour for a different taste, I think-- but macadamia is so mild that it really didn't add any taste to it, just a nice texture). The first one was soggy, too, so the second one I mixed the ingredients up like in the recipes I found on here and then baked it for a few minutes empty, then I let it cool and filled it before baking (I made pumpkin, YUMM) and it came out so well that even my husband liked it.

Has anyone tried making crusts with Crisco instead of butter (like my grandmother used to do!) ?

I bought two of the BIG boxes when I ordered, because I never want to be out of it again.

vicki
Old 12-06-2004, 12:21 PM   #739
Senior LCF Member

Pami, I'm thinking that you're right, I could just reduce the water. I'll try it that way, and if it doesn't work, I'll try a little Xantham. I was excited when I saw your recipe though, because they're so similar and yours worked! This is the dish that I have to take to all family get togethers, so I'd love to be able to take a LC version this Christmas! I'll be making it this week when my new order of CQ comes in and report in on how it turns out!
Old 12-08-2004, 11:19 AM   #740
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lscoop
Stats: 115, maintaining
WOE: Mostly raw, organic, low-glycemic
Start Date: 8/05
CarbQuik Croissants

I just got my CarbQuik in and was dying to try Chef Greg's croissants (I think the recipe is posted close to 20 pages back in this thread).....I REALLY miss the taste of them.....I printed out the recipe and didn't understand it at all. I mean, I know how to take a huge recipe and change the proportions and get creative, but some of the directions were like Greek to me. What does "relax" mean? Is that when I put the dough in sort of a warm place to rise, covered? Is Chef Greg back or are there any translators who can explain the directions, especially about the part where something gets folded over to 81 layers, and how exactly that should look like...that definitely wasn't clear. I don't think we could get 81 layers with a small recipe anyway, and do we need that many?? I just couldn't visualize what he means for us to do after we seal in the butter mixture. Normally at that point I would simply cut the dough into triangles and roll them up into croissants, but maybe it needs more layers?? Anybody have a clue??
:-ooooo

Unrelated--has anybody seen or tried those new Mona Loa Sugar Free Chocolate Covered Macadamia Nuts yet?? Lovely! Great ingredients (real cocoa butter, no cholesterol or trans fats, etc.) and they come in both dark and milk chocolate....Netrition, are you reading this? I found them in Walgreen's (well, the dark ones anyway), and they're terrific! They said 1 serving (6 chocolate covered nuts) has 3 net carbs, but I counted/weighed and at least in my bag there were about 7-8 nuts per serving to get that weight, so that's definitely less than 1/2 carb each. Yummy~!
Old 12-08-2004, 11:41 AM   #741
Tom
Administrator

Gallery: Tom
Re: CarbQuik Croissants

Quote:
Originally posted by lscoop

Unrelated--has anybody seen or tried those new Mona Loa Sugar Free Chocolate Covered Macadamia Nuts yet?? Lovely! Great ingredients (real cocoa butter, no cholesterol or trans fats, etc.) and they come in both dark and milk chocolate....Netrition, are you reading this? I found them in Walgreen's (well, the dark ones anyway), and they're terrific! They said 1 serving (6 chocolate covered nuts) has 3 net carbs, but I counted/weighed and at least in my bag there were about 7-8 nuts per serving to get that weight, so that's definitely less than 1/2 carb each. Yummy~!
Looks like 16 grams of maltitol per serving of the Mauna Loa Sugar Free Chocolate Covered Macadamia Nuts (6-8 nuts?). I'd rather see them use polydextrose and/or erythritol to greatly reduce the laxative effect.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:46 AM   #742
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: LowCalSal
Stats: 257/197/140..................60# down, 57# to go!
WOE: Atkins, meat fast
Start Date: 11/21/01 then 12/02/03 then 10/18/04
lscoop- I am by no means an expert but I think the secret to the croissant tasting so good is all the flaky layers and BUTTER. I don't know how it gets to 81 but if you fold in 1/2 you get 2, roll out, 1/2 again you get 4 etc. Relax means you let the dough rest- but a real bread baker will have to fill in the rest of how you do it.
I *tried* making croissants once from scratch- the canned ones were way better! (the dogs did not even really like them!)
Old 12-08-2004, 12:07 PM   #743
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ataran
WOE: Low Carb
Chocolate Chip Cookies

I made the chocolate chip cookies from the recipe on the Carbquik site last night. The only adjustments I made were not adding salt and using sugar free chocolate chips. They were great! They rose well and were good size cookies, tasted yummy, and I ate too many.

The only thing I will change next time is to use unsalted butter as well since there was still a little salty taste. Anyone know if I would need to add a pinch of salt anyway to get the chemical reactions needed?
Old 12-08-2004, 12:28 PM   #744
Senior LCF Member

You don't have to add the salt. I'm betting using unsalted butter next time would take care of the problem. What was the texture like?
Old 12-08-2004, 12:41 PM   #745
Senior LCF Member

LowCalSal - Croissant Reply

Thanks, so much, LowCalSal! That explains 95% of what I didn't understand about making the croissant dough. I didn't realize that you fold, roll, fold, roll, fold and roll to keep getting more layers (I thought you just kept folding and folding and then rolling, rather than folding and rolling each time.....I feel so dense.....:-) DUH!). I gather that he got the 81 layers by folding over into thirds each time, so the first time you get 3 layers, then 3 x 3 = 9 layers, then 9 x 3 = 27 layers, then 27 x 3 = 81 layers. Now that makes sense! Now if I can just understand whether "relax" means let rise in a warm place covered or just let it sit a bit, or whatever, I think I might be able to attempt these.......Did you try this recipe with CarbQuikwhen you were unsuccessful?

And Tom, re. the Moana Loa Macadamias, I guess you're right...maltitol does give some folks the runs....I've been eating so much of this stuff for so long that I no longer have a problem with it. If anything, it just helps keep me regular while eating low carb! Maltitol sure does taste better than erythritol I think, although a combination of the two would have probably worked well.

Last edited by lscoop; 12-08-2004 at 12:49 PM..
Old 12-08-2004, 01:38 PM   #746
Senior LCF Member

Croissants-Recipe Edited to make 12

Here are Chef Greg's Instructions, pared down to 12 croissants from 120 (1/10 recipe)

CROISSANT DOUGH
MILK - cold 4.8 oz.
YEAST 7/10 oz.
CARBQUIK 1/2 Lb
SALT 6.2 grams
SUGAR 17 grams [THAT SOUNDS LIKE A LOT--DOES IT ALL HAVE
TO BE REAL SUGAR?--WILL THE YEAST "EAT UP" AN ALMOST
EQUAL AMOUNT OF SUGAR?]
BUTTER - 8/10 oz.

BUTTER 4.8 oz
CARBQUIK 3/10 oz.

Yields: 12 Croissants weighing 1.75 oz. each.

METHOD:
1. DOUGH: Mix the first 6 ingredients together - "Straight Dough Mixing Method". Mix on low speed for “5 minutes" until a smooth loose dough is formed - do not overwork the dough! Allow to rise for 30 minutes. Then pin-out the dough out into the size of a sheet-pan. Then place the dough onto a parchment lined and lightly Carbquiked sheet-pan, and ****** [CAN ANYBODY TELL ME WHAT ****** MEANS?--HELP] for 30 minutes.
2. BUTTER BLOCK (beurrage): Combine the remaining butter and Carbquik, and knead until pliable and lump free. Spread evenly over 2/3 of a parchment lined sheet-pan. Place in the refrigerate for 10 minutes.
3. When the butter and dough have reached the same consistency, place the dough on your work table, brush-off any excess Carbquik, and cover 1/2 of the dough evenly with the butter.
4. Fold the other half of the dough over to cover the butter, seal the edges well. You have completed the LOCK-IN. Turn 90 degrees.
5. Roll out to 3x the width of a sheet-pan, and as long. Complete the 1 3-FOLD. (THIS MEANS FOLD THE TWO SIDES IN TOWARD THE MIDDLE SO YOU END UP WITH A SHEET 1/3 THE SIZE OF WHAT IT WAS AFTER YOU ROLLED IT OUT). Refrigerate 30 minutes.
6. Complete the 2 3-FOLD (THAT MEANS REPEAT #5 ABOVE), refrigerate 30 minutes, and the final 3 3-FOLD (YEP, DO IT ONE MORE TIME!)(You will now have a total of 81 layers). Wrap tightly and refrigerate. Use the 2nd day.
GUIDELINES:
1. Pan 6 croissants per normal baking pan. Reverse the last row of croissants to prevent the tips from over-browning!
2. French egg wash (baste with equal parts yolks and cream) - before and after proofing.
3. Proof until doubled in size. When the sheet-pan is shaken, the croissants should jiggle.
4. Bake @ 425 F.

I won't have time to actually test this recipe for another couple of weeks. If anybody knows what "Relaxing the Dough" means, please let me know. Also if anybody has a chance to try this before I do, I'd love to hear how it works! Laurie

Last edited by lscoop; 12-08-2004 at 01:59 PM..
Old 12-08-2004, 02:25 PM   #747
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ataran
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
You don't have to add the salt. I'm betting using unsalted butter next time would take care of the problem. What was the texture like?
They were a bit crumbly, but that wasn't a problem at all.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:47 PM   #748
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TovaRep
Re: Croissants-Recipe Edited to make 12

Quote:
Originally posted by lscoop
Here are Chef Greg's Instructions, pared down to 12 croissants from 120 (1/10 recipe)

SUGAR 17 grams [THAT SOUNDS LIKE A LOT--DOES IT ALL HAVE
TO BE REAL SUGAR?--WILL THE YEAST "EAT UP" AN ALMOST
EQUAL AMOUNT OF SUGAR?]
That's not a lot at all. That's less than an ounce of sugar, and 17 grams of sugar over 12 croissants isn't much anyway. Also, the majority of that sugar will be reacted out by the yeast
Old 12-08-2004, 03:55 PM   #749
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Re: Chocolate Chip Cookies

Quote:
Originally posted by ataran
I made the chocolate chip cookies from the recipe on the Carbquik site last night. The only adjustments I made were not adding salt and using sugar free chocolate chips. They were great! They rose well and were good size cookies, tasted yummy, and I ate too many.

The only thing I will change next time is to use unsalted butter as well since there was still a little salty taste. Anyone know if I would need to add a pinch of salt anyway to get the chemical reactions needed?

I made these cookies today and did not add any salt at all. I also used unsalted butter and they tasted plenty salty. So I would not add any. The texture and taste was fine. These cookies were really good for low-carb cookies. I think I used more like 2-1/2 C. Carbquik. I used the initial two cups and then added all of the 1/4 c. left and then added a little more to get a good cookie dough.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:21 PM   #750
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Freckles
Back in the old days when I ground winter wheat for whole wheat bread and spring wheat for quick breads and cookies, I added vital wheat gluten to the ground winter wheat to increase the elasticity and rise of the yeast breads. I haven't tried the CQ yet (waiting for my order), but wonder if that would improve the outcome of yeast raised CQ recipes?

Also, I wonder if adding moderately hot liquids to a moist type recipe (like brownies or lemon bars) and allowing the batter to sit until the action of the leavening has begun to dissipate would result in a more moist, less "cakey" product?

Has anyone experimented with additives to the CQ? I have a lot of WPI to use, but sounds like the CQ is already too salty to mix with WPI...