Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2004, 04:23 PM   #691
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mmorris
Stats: 268/128-Goal Weight Finally!! (-140 pounds gone)
WOE: Atkins All the WAY!!
Start Date: August 2002
lgpar- I am sorry... It will come out looking like a long tube... then you would slice it.. I hope this helps

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2004, 06:43 PM   #692
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Criosa
Stats: 240/171/150
WOE: hhCG, Low Carb
Start Date: In and out since 2003
Re: CarbQuick - Net Carbs

Quote:
Originally posted by lscoop
This is kind of complicated to explain--it's a math puzzle and it's what I specialize in--but don't believe 100% the label that shows the nutrition facts for 17grams of CarbQuik. Basically you can see that 20 grams also has 2 net carbs. 20 grams has 2 net carbs because they're rounding down (it really has 2.5) and that means that 1 ounce of CarbQuik has just over 3.5 net carbs. You need to be a scientist just to get down to the bottom of the labeling/rounding problem. If anybody doesn't believe this and wants my long-winded explanation of why it's really around 3.5 net carbs let me know and I'll post it. It's just a solution to another math puzzle. Basically you need to look at both nutrition labels at Netrition (they have one posted for a 17g serving from the 3 lb bag and one for a 20g serving from the 1 lb bag) and figure out, using rounding, what would make BOTH of those labels correct to the nearest full number. It involves also looking at proteins, fat, fiber and total calories (knowing that they have omitted between 30 and 34 calories from fiber) in order to figure it out! (and yes, I used to be a weight watchers leader and master label analyzer in another lifetime :-)). I'm the one that writes the companies to get the corrected facts when I see labels that can't possibly be correct. (also a financial type in my day job so you get the picture.......)
I remember Chefgreg once saying they figured a way to reduce the carbs in Carbquik. Maybe the new 3# box is the new stuff. Would that make the difference? Personally I hate math and go into a brain fog whenever it gets beyond figuring out how much money I would save with a 30% discount on a sale item. I'm thankful for people like you though!
Old 11-29-2004, 06:57 PM   #693
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lscoop
Stats: 115, maintaining
WOE: Mostly raw, organic, low-glycemic
Start Date: 8/05
CarbQuik

If you have a package and can compare it to what's on the Netrition website (both ingredients and nutrition facts) and they're different, then it's possible that it's been reformulated. Does anybody here know the answer to that?
Old 11-29-2004, 07:03 PM   #694
Senior LCF Member

CarbQuik Nutrition Facts-addendum

However, the 3# label is not out of sync with the 1# label. As I said, with rounding, both can be considered correct, which is exactly how I was able to extrapolate the more exact numbers, which are about 32 calories from fat, 10.5 (rounded down to 10)carbs, 8 g fiber, 4 protein, total of 90 calories....from there they removed the 8g fiber (32 calories) to get net calories of 58, which they rounded up to 60 calories on the label.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:17 PM   #695
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TovaRep
Re: CarbQuik Nutrition Facts-addendum

Quote:
Originally posted by lscoop
However, the 3# label is not out of sync with the 1# label. As I said, with rounding, both can be considered correct, which is exactly how I was able to extrapolate the more exact numbers, which are about 32 calories from fat, 10.5 (rounded down to 10)carbs, 8 g fiber, 4 protein, total of 90 calories....from there they removed the 8g fiber (32 calories) to get net calories of 58, which they rounded up to 60 calories on the label.
I'm going to try to give the short and simple answer to this. The Nutrition Panel represented on the 3lb box and the one on the 1lb box are not exactly the same product. As you can see by looking at the ingredients, these are slightly different. Specifically, they have different densities, which (as I'm sure you're aware) changes the nutrition counts by weight.

Both of these panels are based on independent lab analysis. While there is rounding (as on any nutrition panel) the data on both panels is correct.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:11 PM   #696
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lmt_24fan
Stats: 194/GOOOOOOOAAAALLL/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2004
So, TovaRep...is Aediekins' post correct in stating that Carbquik has 16 net carbs per cup?

I thought that this thread always said it had 12...

Does it matter which size box you are using?

Lynn
Old 11-29-2004, 11:46 PM   #697
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
I was just going by the start of 2 net carbs for 1 oz.

If they rounded up a little to get 2 (if it were really 1.8 or something like that,) I suppose you would be able to get in a full cup at 12 net carbs. I am interested too.

???? So confusing!!!!
Old 11-30-2004, 12:14 AM   #698
Senior LCF Member

Well, a cup by weight and volume are two different things. In the case of flour, one cup is not 8 ounces, it would be less--maybe about 5-6 oz for a cup flour, so a cup of flour would be less grams of carbs than 8 ounces of flour.....
Old 11-30-2004, 09:26 AM   #699
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Aediekins
I was just going by the start of 2 net carbs for 1 oz.

If they rounded up a little to get 2 (if it were really 1.8 or something like that,) I suppose you would be able to get in a full cup at 12 net carbs. I am interested too.

???? So confusing!!!!
OK. Now I see where your calculation was in error.

Look at the nutrition panel again. That 1 oz measurement with 2 carbs is a 1 oz biscuit, not 1 oz of Carbquik. That 1 oz (28g) biscuit is about 17g of Carbquik and 11g water. Also, those 2 net carbs are rounded up. I'm working on a table similar to the one you posted using the data I have. I'll post that soon.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:12 AM   #700
Senior LCF Member

Carbquik Nutrient Facts

Thanks for your help, TovaRep. If you have data to round to the nearest 10th of a gram instead of full gram that would be very helpful to us also (well, at least to me!!). Thanks!
Old 11-30-2004, 02:08 PM   #701
Major LCF Poster!

TOVA REP

Yes, please get us the correct carb-count chart!

Quote:
Look at the nutrition panel again. That 1 oz measurement with 2 carbs is a 1 oz biscuit, not 1 oz of Carbquik. [COLOR=limegreen] That 1 oz (28g) biscuit is about 17g of Carbquik and 11g water[/COLOR] Also, those 2 net carbs are rounded up. I'm working on a table similar to the one you posted using the data I have. I'll post that soon.
Question-

You stated " That 1 oz (28g) biscuit is about 17g of Carbquik and 11g water."

And the Labels says "1 biscuit (1 oz.) 20g dry mix"

The nutrition panel says one biscuit should be 20 grams of dry mix, not 17.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:10 PM   #702

Gallery: fla gal 57
Stats: yr.2000--325 lbs. now in yr. 2004 215 lbs.
Start Date: nov. 2000
Is this carb quik flour good. I have never tried it but was wondering if it taste like real flour or not. On some low carb products I find the taste very bland tasting like they needed more sweetner in them or something.
can you make cakes, muffins etc. with this? What can you do to them so they won't taste so bland....
Have any of you tried the soy flour? what is it like?
Old 11-30-2004, 03:58 PM   #703
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lee140
Stats: 16+/10/8
Start Date: 1/26/04
I made two dishes with Carbquik yesterday, one was a success and the other...

I made Pami's brownies (the regular ones, not the "killer" ones). I used 3/4 cup Malitol and 1/4 cup Erryithtol. They were incredibly good. I would buy Carbquik for the pancakes and brownies alone!

I suspect that I made a mistake on the other dish I made. I tried the Impossible Lasange. I ended up with a crust that was at least an inch high across the top. Any ideas what I did wrong, or what the finished product's SUPPOSED to be like?
Old 11-30-2004, 05:31 PM   #704
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Quote:
Originally posted by fla gal 57
Is this carb quik flour good. I have never tried it but was wondering if it taste like real flour or not. On some low carb products I find the taste very bland tasting like they needed more sweetner in them or something.
can you make cakes, muffins etc. with this? What can you do to them so they won't taste so bland....
Have any of you tried the soy flour? what is it like?

Well, I cannot say Carbquik tastes like real flour, no. There is a slight "low-carb" taste to it with some products, some are extremely good. But it is the closest thing to a real baked goods product that I have found so far as to texture. The bland taste is just the sugar-free taste of the products. It is impossible to get a sugar-free product to taste like a sugar one. If you've only been sugar-free for a short time, relax. You will eventually think a sugar-free product tastes really good. Your taste buds will change.

And I would not recommend soy flour for anything. Yuck! If you mix soy flour with a couple other flours you usually can't taste it. But I would only use a tiny bit of it in a recipe as the taste of it is really bad.

For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. (2 Chr 16:9 KJV)
Old 11-30-2004, 05:56 PM   #705
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lynnp
Stats: size 26/22/size 6
WOE: protein and vlc
Start Date: October 20, 2008
Question on the Foccacia

I made the foccacia for Thanksgiving, but I added a can of chopped black olives to the dough. I also did it a bit wrong by adding the oil, parmesan and garlic into the dough.

My issue is this, before I had even added all that stuff, it never actually became a dough that you could roll out. It was more like cookie dough from drop chocolate chip cookies. I let it rest and it did rise, but instead of rolling it, I pushed it into the pan. I drizzled oil over and sprinkled with rosemary and baked.

IT TASTED AWESOME!! My husband was hooked, but I would love to know if anyone else has made this and how it worked for them? I can't imagine ever being able to actually roll this. I was expecting it to come out more like a pizza or bread dough consistency instead of a quick bread consistency. HOW DO YOU KNEAD THIS?!

Chefgreg---I know you're on vacation, and maybe you can answer this later, but have you considered making and selling a DVD to accompany your book? The DVD could be of you demonstrating your books more elaborate or tricky recipes so watchers coud see how their recipe was supposed to look? I know I'd buy it! Maybe Tova Industries could sponsor the DVD's production since you have made them so much money with yout recipes!!!
Old 12-01-2004, 12:32 AM   #706
Senior LCF Member

Re: TOVA REP

Quote:
Yes, please get us the correct carb-count chart!

Question-

You stated " That 1 oz (28g) biscuit is about 17g of Carbquik and 11g water."

And the Labels says "1 biscuit (1 oz.) 20g dry mix"

The nutrition panel says one biscuit should be 20 grams of dry mix, not 17.
It depends whether you look at the 1lb box or the 3lb box. The product originally in the 1 pound box had a different density.

The 3lb box shows 17 g.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:52 AM   #707
Major LCF Poster!

So the 3 pound box has even less net carbs than the smaller 1lb box?

Are the new 1 lb boxes going to be less carbs as well?
Old 12-01-2004, 10:18 AM   #708
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

http://www.netrition.com/tova_carbquik_page.html

Take a look at the nutrition panels for each. Yes, the 1-lb box will be lower-carb as well. That will be coming in a few months.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:18 AM   #709
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

http://www.netrition.com/tova_carbquik_page.html

Take a look at the nutrition panels for each. Yes, the 1-lb box will be lower-carb as well. That will be coming in a few months.
Old 12-02-2004, 04:26 AM   #710
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mrsadm
Stats: Way too big/Too big/Much smaller
Re: Question on the Foccacia

Quote:
Originally posted by lynnp
I made the foccacia for Thanksgiving, but I added a can of chopped black olives to the dough. I also did it a bit wrong by adding the oil, parmesan and garlic into the dough.

My issue is this, before I had even added all that stuff, it never actually became a dough that you could roll out. It was more like cookie dough from drop chocolate chip cookies. I let it rest and it did rise, but instead of rolling it, I pushed it into the pan. I drizzled oil over and sprinkled with rosemary and baked.

IT TASTED AWESOME!! My husband was hooked, but I would love to know if anyone else has made this and how it worked for them? I can't imagine ever being able to actually roll this. I was expecting it to come out more like a pizza or bread dough consistency instead of a quick bread consistency. HOW DO YOU KNEAD THIS?!

Chefgreg---I know you're on vacation, and maybe you can answer this later, but have you considered making and selling a DVD to accompany your book? The DVD could be of you demonstrating your books more elaborate or tricky recipes so watchers coud see how their recipe was supposed to look? I know I'd buy it! Maybe Tova Industries could sponsor the DVD's production since you have made them so much money with yout recipes!!!
I made the Foccacia recently and had the same problem. I ended up adding at least another 1/2 cup of Carbquik to the batter to even be able to handle it. It was a VERY sticky dough. I posted a question here about it and Chef Greg said I should have used a mixer with a dough hook instead of a regular mixer. (I am still waiting for the out of stock dough hook for my mixer )

So I don't yet know if the dough hook will solve the problem; in fact I suspect not. So I'd recommended adding more Carbquik until you can knead the dough without getting batter stuck all over your hands and cutting board! When I did that the bread came out very nice and very tasty!
Old 12-02-2004, 07:12 AM   #711
Senior LCF Member

I'm curious (I'm still waiting for my CarbQuik but raring to go!)....Lynnp said that the Foccacia tasted awesome and baked up well even though she couldn't knead it. Is that a bad thing?....how was the texture of the baked bread? Very different from a kneaded dough?

And MsAdm or ChefGreg or TovaRep, do you think I could use the kneading cycle on my bread machine instead of a dough hook (I don't have a professional stand mixer) in case I end up working with a consistency that can be kneaded?
Thanks!
Old 12-02-2004, 10:26 PM   #712
Major LCF Poster!

Carbquik Impossible Coconut Cream Pie

I made this pie today. The flavor was pretty good, but for some reason my impossible pies come out pretty wet like with not much substance to them. I did love the apple one but it still had a wet bottom to it. Can anyone guess why they come out wet? Did the regular ones with Bisquick come out that way as I never made one with Bisquick. I sure would like to remedy this.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:18 AM   #713
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sososo
Stats: 315/188/170
Start Date: Feb 2003
I always detect a bitter aftertaste when I make Carbquick biscuits. Can anyone tell me why, or better still, how to avoid this result. Is there any way or ingredient which would neutralize the bitter aftertaste. My DH claims this is only detected by a sourpus!!! I love the reciepes, you are all such great cooks! rs:
Old 12-03-2004, 12:58 PM   #714
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: showgirl
Stats: 127/116/115 5'3"
WOE: diet free!
Start Date: 3/1/05
Re: Carbquik Impossible Coconut Cream Pie

Quote:
Originally posted by lgpars
I made this pie today. The flavor was pretty good, but for some reason my impossible pies come out pretty wet like with not much substance to them. I did love the apple one but it still had a wet bottom to it. Can anyone guess why they come out wet? Did the regular ones with Bisquick come out that way as I never made one with Bisquick. I sure would like to remedy this.
i used the lower carb impossible pie posted by ecko42 and it was not wet at all on the bottom.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:17 PM   #715
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Linda in Texas
Stats: 177.5/Not low enough/125
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/3/06
Re: Carbquik Impossible Coconut Cream Pie

Quote:
Originally posted by lgpars
I made this pie today. The flavor was pretty good, but for some reason my impossible pies come out pretty wet like with not much substance to them.
I would also like some input. Mine came out wet on the bottom too. I put it back in the oven and baked a bit longer at a lower temperature, but it never seemed to dry. The top ended up too done and it just wasn't good. Luckily this has been my only disaster with CQ, but I'm afraid to try any other impossible recipes.

Linda
Old 12-03-2004, 05:55 PM   #716
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lynnp
Stats: size 26/22/size 6
WOE: protein and vlc
Start Date: October 20, 2008
mrsadm,

I used my kitchen aid stand mixer with the dough hook and let it go and go and go, but it never came together like a "dough" so that isn't it. Maybe if I add more carbquik, but that will increase the carbs so I'd rather not.

My Impossibly Easy Cheesecake came out great and my husband keeps asking me to make more. It even got better sitting in the fridge.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:34 PM   #717
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eko42
Stats: 184/170/125
WOE: hHCG
Start Date: July 9, 2013
When I bake my Impossible Apple Pie I will cover the top with foil if it is starting to turn too brown. In my oven it always takes a full hour to bake completely.

Erin---
Old 12-03-2004, 08:38 PM   #718
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally posted by sososo
I always detect a bitter aftertaste when I make Carbquick biscuits. Can anyone tell me why, or better still, how to avoid this result. Is there any way or ingredient which would neutralize the bitter aftertaste. My DH claims this is only detected by a sourpus!!! I love the reciepes, you are all such great cooks! rs:

Yes, I notice that taste too. I think it is just the Carbquik. When making anything low-carb I don't think you can get that weird taste out of it. There have been very few things I could not taste it in. I notice it mostly in making just the breads. If making a cobbler or something, I can't taste it. I think the fruit disguises it.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:39 PM   #719
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, showgirl, I'll try that one next time. It does have a good flavor though.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:45 PM   #720
Major LCF Poster!

showgirl

Where did you find the lower carb impossible coconut cream pie recipe? Can you post it or tell me which page and what thread it's in? Thanks.