Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2004, 12:48 PM   #631

Gallery: ljh150
Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2004, 06:26 PM   #632
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eko42
Stats: 184/170/125
WOE: hHCG
Start Date: July 9, 2013
I made my Lower Carb Impossible Apple Pie...

and substituted peaches and blueberries for the apples with outstanding results. Thank you Showgirl for the suggestion of peaches in this recipe.

Give this a try!

ERIN’S LOWER CARB IMPOSSIBLE BLUEBERRY PEACH PIE

1-16 ounce package frozen blueberries, thawed
1-16 ounce frozen sliced peaches, thawed
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ cup Carbquick
¼ cup Splenda
¼ cup DiabetiSweet
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon butter, softened
2 eggs

Streusel (see recipe below)

Heat oven to 350°. Grease 9-inch deep dish pie plate. Stir together blueberries, peaches, and cinnamon; turn into pie plate. Stir remaining ingredients except Streusel until blended. Pour into pie plate. Sprinkle with Streusel. Bake 1 hour or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes. I served this warm with a scoop of low carb vanilla ice cream. Cover and refrigerate any remaining pie.

Streusel
½ cup Carbquick
¼ cup chopped pecans
¼ cup Splenda
½ teaspoon blackstrap molasses
2 tablespoons firm butter

Stir together all ingredients until crumbly.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:39 PM   #633

Well, I found the choc chip cookie recipe and made them. They are too salty! I put 1 tsp. salt in there, which is what it called for. So, if you are planning to try these, don't add the salt!
Old 11-15-2004, 07:08 PM   #634
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rrosser
So far I haven't put salt in any of the recipes. I don't like salt anyway and if it's in there I can taste it no matter what. Especially if it's something sweet.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:31 AM   #635
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chickiemom
Thanks peeps for the pat pie crust and the peach blueberry pie
Old 11-16-2004, 10:40 AM   #636
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: LowCalSal
Stats: 257/197/140..................60# down, 57# to go!
WOE: Atkins, meat fast
Start Date: 11/21/01 then 12/02/03 then 10/18/04
For the blueberry peach pie... what can I use instead of diabetisweet?

I have Splenda, fiber fit, Davinci plain syrup, maltitol syrup (steels), erythrol, maltitol crystals.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:34 AM   #637
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
ljh150

Quote:
Well, I found the choc chip cookie recipe and made them. They are too salty! I put 1 tsp. salt in there, which is what it called for. So, if you are planning to try these, don't add the salt!
I have had problems with the salt too. Earlier in this thread we discussed it... it's on the page I linked below, and it starts about half way down and continues on and off with responses for about 4 pages. Just thought you might be interested.

Carbquik Baking Flour
Old 11-16-2004, 06:26 PM   #638

Thanks, I'll know next time!
Old 11-16-2004, 11:23 PM   #639
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eko42
Stats: 184/170/125
WOE: hHCG
Start Date: July 9, 2013
Quote:
Originally posted by LowCalSal
For the blueberry peach pie... what can I use instead of diabetisweet?

I have Splenda, fiber fit, Davinci plain syrup, maltitol syrup (steels), erythrol, maltitol crystals.
My original recipe for this pie calls for all Splenda. This time I tried a combination of sweeteners to see if it made a difference. It is good either way. Just use all Splenda or a combination of your choice. I wouldn't use Da Vinci's though as it would add too much liquid to the recipe.

Hope this helps,
Erin---
Old 11-17-2004, 04:53 AM   #640
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mrsadm
Stats: Way too big/Too big/Much smaller
WOE: Atkins
How about a cranberry nut bread recipe for the holidays? Does anyone have a suggestion?
Old 11-17-2004, 05:44 AM   #641
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sharon M.
I tried the cream puff recipe and had a failure with it. In the majority of the Carbquick recipes you measure the Carbquick by loosely putting it into a measuring cup- but I think in this recipe the ratio ofl wet to dry ingrediants was not correct when I loosely measured. They baked as flat as a pancake. The dough didn't look stiff enough when it went into a "ball" in the pan. I have made cream puffs many times. Gregg, what do you think the problem could have been. I'm sure you have these recipes perfected!!! Thanks so much for your help.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:12 AM   #642
The Low Carb Chef

Gallery: Chefgreg
Quote:
Originally posted by Sharon M.
I tried the cream puff recipe and had a failure with it. In the majority of the Carbquick recipes you measure the Carbquick by loosely putting it into a measuring cup- but I think in this recipe the ratio ofl wet to dry ingrediants was not correct when I loosely measured. They baked as flat as a pancake. The dough didn't look stiff enough when it went into a "ball" in the pan. I have made cream puffs many times. Gregg, what do you think the problem could have been. I'm sure you have these recipes perfected!!! Thanks so much for your help.
I would suspect the same as you do about the battter, did you cook and stir the batter once you added all the dry? One of the tricky aspects of using a dry product such as Carbquik is always going to be the ratio. The key ingredients in Carbquik are always going to some degree react differently with liquids. I would suggest using the same amount of Carbquik but cutting back on the liquid, with this type batter or "dough" you can always add a little more liquid as needed. Pate choux is always tricky for those that don't work with it on a regular basis.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:32 AM   #643
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rrosser
Hi Chef Greg,
Did you forget all about my posts?

Cake style donut recipes

ChefGreg can your donuts be baked in the donut style pans? I picked a set up cheap and haven't used them for anything since I couldn't find any baked doughnut recipes. I'm a IDD who had a heart attack in February of last year and I try to avoid fried foods as much as I can. I really miss having a doughnut with my coffee when I get up late on Sunday mornings!

ChefGreg
I want to convert some favorite recipes and I was wondering what would be the correct ratio of CarbQuik versus flour . Would I increase the liquid or leave the same?

Also, can CarbQuik be used as cake flour and if so what do I need to add to it to make it more like the cake flour?

Thanks!

11-06-2004
Old 11-17-2004, 08:21 PM   #644
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amisbest
I have used this in several recipes and have found it to be a great substiture for flour.

We made veal stew and dredged the veal in carbquik before saute-ing. It came our great.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:00 AM   #645
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Linda in Texas
Stats: 177.5/Not low enough/125
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 1/3/06
Yummy Pancakes

I just made the Yummy Pancakes posted on page 30. These are the best LC "bread-type" item I've made. They taste exactly like the high carb variety. My batter was just a bit too thick for me so I added some vanilla. I also forgot the Splenda, but didn't need it since I topped them with DaVinci pancake syrup. Yummy is the right word for these whether this is the official name or not.

Thanks to Carolyn and Chickadee...and Carbquik.

Linda
Old 11-20-2004, 04:42 AM   #646
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: roda
Red Velvet Cake help with Carbquik flour

ChefGreg, or anyone, do you have any suggestions on how to create a recipe for Red Velvet Cake using Carbquik? It is my husband's favorite cake, and even though we are on maintenace, he doesn't want the full sugar/cake flour one for Thanksgiving this year. I made him a "low-carb" one for his birthday using a recipe from another site, but he wasn't particularly fond of it.

Now that I have used Carbquik to make cut buttermilk biscuits, gravy, cheddar biscuits, and pumpkin dump cake, we are totally impressed with the results!

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated!
Old 11-20-2004, 05:31 AM   #647
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: LCRedhead
Stats: Total Lost 9.5
WOE: SS
Start Date: Aug. 22, 2008
Re: Red Velvet Cake help with Carbquik flour

Quote:
Originally posted by roda
Red Velvet Cake using Carbquik?
Any help or suggestions are much appreciated!
I personally would take my favorite recipe and sub carbquik for the flour and splenda for the sugar. Every recipe I have done that with comes out perfect.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:57 AM   #648
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sunset
Stats: 228.0 / 217.6 / 125
Start Date: Restart Jan/1/2013
I have been trying to find out what a single serving of the drop biscuts consists of ( how much Carbquik and water). If anyone can help me I would appreciate it. Maybe CarolynF or Chef Greg?
Old 11-20-2004, 07:19 AM   #649
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: LCRedhead
Stats: Total Lost 9.5
WOE: SS
Start Date: Aug. 22, 2008
You want to make one biscuit at at time?

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/8 cup carbquick
1/16 cup water

Preheat oven to 350ºF.
-Place dry mix in mixer bowl. On low speed, add water to mixer, run until dough forms and all water has been absorbed.
-Spoon dough chunks onto greased cookie sheet, about 1 ounce each.
-Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden. Brush with butter if desired.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 48 Calories; 3g Fat (36.0% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; trace Sodium. Exchanges: .

Last edited by LCRedhead; 11-20-2004 at 07:27 AM..
Old 11-20-2004, 08:42 AM   #650

Gallery: sunset
Stats: 228.0 / 217.6 / 125
Start Date: Restart Jan/1/2013
Thanks, that is exactly what I wanted. I only want to make one biscut/serving at a time. They are so good, but too tempting to try to limit myself to 1 serving.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:36 AM   #651
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TurnNBurn
2 questions:

In regular baking recipes that you substitute CQ for four, should you use baking powder? Anyone?

If you don't use heavy cream, can you substitute milk? (DH tried this and the biscuits didn't rise and were grainy and crumbly)
Old 11-20-2004, 12:21 PM   #652

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi..

I have subbed Carbquik for the flour in recipes with great success. I did this on my Yummy Pancake recipe...but the key is to watch the liquid amount..You want the finished batter to look like cake
mix, muffin mix, or biscuit mix..and I always add baking powder, too..

And for the biscuit..If you don't have cream..add some cold chopped butter to the ingredients..then add your milk..Milk + butter equals cream..And add some baking powder too..
Old 11-20-2004, 04:37 PM   #653
kip

Gallery: kip
Stats: Maintaining@115
I made fried chicken with biscuits and gravy for supper tonight. Almost like old times, DH even ate it with relish. I will be keeping Carbquik on hand, finally a little more variety.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:16 AM   #654
Major LCF Poster!

Okay, I finally had somewhat successful "tollhouse" cookies.

They were not salty at all this time, but I did not add salt like the recipe calls for. And I can't find brown sugar twin anywhere, so I used splenda and added 2 Tablespoons of Mollasses. It has a bit of sugar/carbs in it, but for thirty cookies it only added one carb per cookie.

I would definitley make these again.

How'de you do the fried chicken? Just dip in egg, then CQ and fry?
Old 11-21-2004, 08:41 AM   #655

Brownie Pie

I made my Aunt Lucille's famous brownie pie recipe subbing CQ for flour and splenda bulk for sugar, I also added almost 1 tsp. baking powder. The batter tasted JUST like I remember the real deal tasting, but it didn't rise at all for me. Flat as a pancake.
Here's the recipe:

-2 eggs
-1 c. bulk splenda
-1/2c. butter
-1/2 c. CQ
-3 TB cocoa powder
-1 tsp. vanilla

*beat all ingred. 4 min., bake at 325 F for 30 minutes in greased pie pan.

Now, I added almost 1 tsp. baking powder, and just a little CC milk to thin the consistancy of the batter a bit. I forgot to add the vanilla, but that shouldn't make much of a difference. Can anyone tell me what I can do to make these rise next time?

Last edited by ljh150; 11-21-2004 at 08:44 AM..
Old 11-21-2004, 11:18 AM   #656
kip

Gallery: kip
Stats: Maintaining@115
Quote:
Originally posted by Aediekins
Okay, I finally had somewhat successful "tollhouse" cookies.

They were not salty at all this time, but I did not add salt like the recipe calls for. And I can't find brown sugar twin anywhere, so I used splenda and added 2 Tablespoons of Mollasses. It has a bit of sugar/carbs in it, but for thirty cookies it only added one carb per cookie.

I would definitley make these again.

How'de you do the fried chicken? Just dip in egg, then CQ and fry?
I simply dredged the chicken in the Carbquik, it adhered quite well, even through frying.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:32 PM   #657
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TurnNBurn
CarolynF,
thank you!
Your advice came just in time. Just went to the store to get 2 more boxes of CQ.

And I'll use the heavy cream substitute often, as I can't keep it in the house. It stalls me worse than anything and I can't stay away from it!
Old 11-21-2004, 03:57 PM   #658
Major LCF Poster!

Recipes for pumpkin pancakes please

I just made some pumpkin cake, and I have half a can of leftover pumpkin (about 15 oz.)

I don't like cookies or pumpkin cheesecake, so I thought maybe pumpkin pankcakes would be yummy!

Any idea on how to adjust the other ingredients since canned pumpkin is pretty wet and slimy.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:35 PM   #659
Major LCF Poster!

CINNABON RECIPE

Dough

Ingredients
1/4 Cup Water (2 oz)
1 Cup Low-Carb Milk (8 oz)
1/2 Cup Butter, (0.25 lb, i.e. 1 stick)
1 Egg, Extra Large, well beaten (Or one large egg and 1 Tablespoon of milk)
1 tsp Vanilla Flavor (preferably alcohol free)
1/2 Cup Splenda (0.224 lb)
4 1/2 Cup Carbquik Flour (1 1/4 lb)
1 Tbsp Vital Wheat Gluten (0.021 lb)
1/4 oz Gourmet Yeast (1 envelope, 7 g)

Remove a large egg from the refrigerator and permit it to reach room temperature. Gently melt the butter. Add the Water and Milk. The resulting liquid mixture should be permitted to cool so that it is between 75°F (24°C) and 85°F (30°C) before proceeding further. Then add the remaining ingredients, in the order listed above, to the bread machine and prepare using the dough setting. (Follow your bread machine instructions for dough preparation.)

Filling:
1 Cup Brown Sugar Twin, firmly packed (0.4255 lbs) (Or use a splenda/mollasses combo)
5 Tbsp Cinnamon, (0.0745 lb)
1/2 Cup Butter (0.25 lb, i.e. 1 stick)

Remove the butter from the refrigerator once you've started the dough cycle and allow it to reach room temperature. In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar twin and cinnamon.

(The Stores use "Makara Cinnamon." However, Makara is just the marketing name for the actual cinnamon that is used. We've done a lot of research, and have concluded that Grade AA Korintje Cinnamon most closely matches the real Cinnabon flavor.)

After the dough cycle has completed, roll and stretch the dough out on a lightly floured surface into a 15" by 24" (38 cm by 61 cm) rectangle.

Cinnabon Rolls, ready to slice! Mark off 1" along the 24" edge of the dough, closest to you. You will not spread any Butter or Splenda-Cinnamon mixture on this edge. Spread the softened Butter over the dough with a rubber spatula and then evenly distribute the Splenda and Cinnamon mixture. Be careful to leave your 1" edge clean. As a final step, use your rolling pin to lightly roll the Splenda and Cinnamon mixture.

Starting at the far edge of the dough, roll it up tightly. Begin at the far 24" edge and roll up the dough toward the 1" clean edge. The clean 1" edge is used to seal the finished roll. Trim the left and right ends of the roll. The result will be a 24" roll. Trim off the left and right ends of the roll so that you have a flush end at each end of the roll. Then mark the roll every 1 1/2 inches (3.8 cm). Cut the roll into 1 1/2" long portions. This may be done with a knife, as they do at the Store. However it's easier to use dental floss. (You can use cinnamon flavored dental floss just for dramatic effect!) Cut the roll by placing the thread under the roll at your mark, crisscross over and pull it to cut. You should get 15 rolls.

Line your baking pans with parchment paper. Place 5 rolls into 8" square baking pans 1" apart. (One roll in each corner, and one in the center.) Cover with a lint free cloth and let rise in a warm, draft free place until almost double, approximately 1 hour. After rising, rolls should be touching each other and the sides of the pan. This is important for best results. This gives the resulting rolls the soft, moist outer edge that most people prefer.

After rising, bake in a convection oven at 310°F for 15 minutes. If you are using a conventional oven, bake at 335°F for 20 minutes. The resulting rolls should be only lightly browned. Bake only one 8 inch square pan of Cinnabon rolls at a time to obtain uniform results.

Cream Cheese Frosting

4 oz Cream Cheese (0.25 lb)
1/2 Cup Butter (0.25 lb, i.e. 1 stick)
1 3/4 Cup Powdered Splenda (Use coffee Grinder to powder it) (1/2 lb)
1 tsp Vanilla Flavor (preferably Alcohol Free)
1/8 tsp Lemon Flavor (preferably Alcohol Free)

There are several steps involved in the preparation of the frosting. But it is not difficult, and you'll be surprised at the results you achieve. For the fluffiest frosting, use Vanilla and Lemon flavors that do not contain alcohol. Prepare the frosting while you are waiting for the Cinnabon rolls to rise. A total of 50 minutes is required to prepare the frosting, from start to finish. We normally prepare the frosting while the rolls are rising.

Remove the cream cheese and butter from the refrigerator and place it into the mixing bowl. Leave it for about half an hour so that it will not be too cold.

Use the Flat Beater (or Paddle) to blend the cream cheese and margarine for 6 minutes. Use a speed of 65 RPM, or the "slow mixing" speed on your machine. Use setting #2 on a KitchenAid Mixer.

Switch to the Stainless Steel Whip and whip the cream cheese and butter mixture for 10 minutes. Use a speed of 150 RPM, or the "medium fast whipping" speed on your machine. Use setting #6 on the KitchenAid Mixer.

Add 1 cup of the powdered splenda and mix for 1 minute using the Stainless Steel Whip at 65 RPM. Add the remaining 3/4 cup of powdered splenda and mix for an additional minute.

Lastly, add the Vanilla Flavor and Lemon Flavor and whip for 1 minute using the Stainless Steel Whip at 150 RPM.

Transfer the finished frosting to a convenient covered container and refrigerate it. Once the rolls are finished baking, frost them while they're still very warm and serve them immediately. Yum, yum!

HealthyBodyBeautiful

Low-Carb foods are not created equal
Enjoy- cream, butter, coconut oil, olive oil, fresh chicken, fish, beef, pork, bacon, sausage, cheese, LC veggies, berries/melon, dressings, stevia, chocolate (75% cocoa) and red wine
Avoid - Mayo, canola oil, too much protein, processed LC foods (tortillas, candy, shakes, bars) Splenda and other artificial sweeteners, corn products (xanthan gum, dextrose, maltodextrin)
Old 11-21-2004, 08:56 PM   #660
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dianna
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 23, 2004
Wow Aediekins, those sound wonderful. Do you have a carb count for these?

Dianna