Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2004, 07:37 AM   #601
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: LowCalSal
Stats: 257/197/140..................60# down, 57# to go!
WOE: Atkins, meat fast
Start Date: 11/21/01 then 12/02/03 then 10/18/04
Has anyone else noticed after eating this you just are not as hungry? I have not yet had breakfast... usually I am starving by this point. I had a piece of the pecan cake for dessert last night and it was pretty good. Even DH like it ok but said it would be great with banana.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2004, 07:48 AM   #602
The Low Carb Chef

Gallery: Chefgreg
Quote:
Originally posted by LowCalSal
Has anyone else noticed after eating this you just are not as hungry? I have not yet had breakfast... usually I am starving by this point. I had a piece of the pecan cake for dessert last night and it was pretty good. Even DH like it ok but said it would be great with banana.
Yes Yes Yes, you raise a great point, and it is very logical as to why that is. The clean high fiber and protein is very slow in digestion, and satisfies the appetite for an extended time. This is the perfect example of the value of high quality fiber.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:01 AM   #603
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: LowCalSal
Stats: 257/197/140..................60# down, 57# to go!
WOE: Atkins, meat fast
Start Date: 11/21/01 then 12/02/03 then 10/18/04
Hey Chefgreg... I was wanting to modify the Pecan Cake recipe that is listed and maybe add some banana to it... and then REALLY what I would like is to bake it like you would a pineapple upside down cake (minus the pineapple). What would you recommend that would brown?

I love the carbquik!
Old 11-11-2004, 04:31 PM   #604
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: suzg
Stats: 178/139/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sept'03
I made the pancakes from the recipe on the side of the CQ box.
Calls for a stick of melted butter. Although the flavor was good, they were way too greasy. I added blueberries and a little slenda, that part was good.

Next time I'll use a different recipe.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:37 PM   #605
The Low Carb Chef

Quote:
Originally posted by suzg
I made the pancakes from the recipe on the side of the CQ box.
Calls for a stick of melted butter. Although the flavor was good, they were way too greasy. I added blueberries and a little slenda, that part was good.

Next time I'll use a different recipe.
That "melted butter" was for using after the pancakes are cooked, to brush them with....
Old 11-11-2004, 06:46 PM   #606

Gallery: ljh150
Hi again, chefgreg, I was referring to the brownie recipe on the inside of the 3 lb. CQ box that I received last week. The brownie recipe calls for splenda bulk, but the brownie icing calls for 1 TB liquid splenda. Maybe that's not your recipe, or is it a misprint?

BTW, thanks so much for helping all of us out, we know you must be very busy with the success of this stuff.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:30 PM   #607
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gusgus
Stats: 240/170/170
WOE: Atkins For Life
Start Date: June 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by ljh150
Hi again, chefgreg, I was referring to the brownie recipe on the inside of the 3 lb. CQ box that I received last week. The brownie recipe calls for splenda bulk, but the brownie icing calls for 1 TB liquid splenda.
I was wondering that too. Is it calling for the real McCoy (which of course we in the States can not get), Trish's or Fiberfit?
Old 11-12-2004, 04:53 AM   #608
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chefgreg
That "melted butter" was for using after the pancakes are cooked, to brush them with....
I'd say the recipe needs to be rewritten then.

It currently says "Mix *all* ingredients in a bowl." No where does it say to set the butter aside.

There are other low carb recipes that do have a stick of melted butter in them, so the way this recipe is written looks like you are to do the same.

Last edited by suzg; 11-12-2004 at 05:00 AM..
Old 11-12-2004, 04:59 AM   #609
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
That is pretty funny, I can't wait to tell my kids.
You can imagine what happened to my batter, having melted butter in it, then adding some frozen blueberries!
Old 11-12-2004, 08:53 AM   #610
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chickiemom
Suz
I guess this would be a Banta pancake;o)

BTW the recipe I use came from one of the cooks here not sure who
1/3 cup CQ
2 tsp Splenda
2/3 t baking powder
1 egg
2 T milk
1 T melted butter
Mix dries. Add wets including butter

I've been making these every Sunday. Very yummy

Last edited by chickiemom; 11-12-2004 at 08:57 AM..
Old 11-12-2004, 03:30 PM   #611
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: paula140
Stats: 288/ 250/150
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: JANUARY 2004
HI EVERONE

This is a great forum have been lurking for almost two years but have never posted.

I have a guestion about the carbquick.On the netrition website they also offer a larger size box which lists unbleached wheat flour and the smaller box lists high protein wheat flour.Does anyone know anything about this? Has anyone purchased the larger size?

Thanks
Old 11-12-2004, 03:41 PM   #612
Senior LCF Member

I've used both. I hadn't noticed a difference in ingredients, but then I also didn't look for one.

I can't tell a difference between the small and large box in taste or how it acts in a recipe.
Old 11-12-2004, 03:42 PM   #613
The Low Carb Chef

Quote:
Originally posted by paula140
HI EVERONE

This is a great forum have been lurking for almost two years but have never posted.

I have a guestion about the carbquick.On the netrition website they also offer a larger size box which lists unbleached wheat flour and the smaller box lists high protein wheat flour.Does anyone know anything about this? Has anyone purchased the larger size?

Thanks
I DON'T SEE ANY WHERE THAT UNBLEACHED FLOUR BEING LISTED, WHERE ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???
Old 11-12-2004, 03:49 PM   #614
The Low Carb Chef

Quote:
Originally posted by suzg
I've used both. I hadn't noticed a difference in ingredients, but then I also didn't look for one.

I can't tell a difference between the small and large box in taste or how it acts in a recipe.
I see what this person was talling about, but it is not unbleached conventional flour, let me show you

Ingredients: Carbalose flour (enzyme-modified wheat, vital wheat gluten, wheat fiber, unbleached patent wheat flour, vegetable fiber, canola oil, salt, emulsifiers, enzymes, ascorbic acid, sucralose, calcium propionate), palm oil, buttermilk powder, baking powder, egg white powder, lecithin, salt, natural and artificial flavors.[COLOR=red]unbleached patent wheat flour[/COLOR] is not typical wheat flour, the word patent makes this reference and difference...
Old 11-13-2004, 01:43 PM   #615
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: paula140
Stats: 288/ 250/150
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: JANUARY 2004
I saw this on the netrition website on the packages of carbquick.

Thanks chefGreg for clearing this up .I will be ordering the larger size because it is a better price.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:15 PM   #616
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chickiemom
Suz
I guess this would be a Banta pancake;o)

BTW the recipe I use came from one of the cooks here not sure who
1/3 cup CQ
2 tsp Splenda
2/3 t baking powder
1 egg
2 T milk
1 T melted butter
Mix dries. Add wets including butter

I've been making these every Sunday. Very yummy

Thanks Chickiemom!
Old 11-14-2004, 03:29 AM   #617
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mrsadm
Stats: Way too big/Too big/Much smaller
Need help from Chef Greg!

Yesterday I made the Focaccia (sp?) recipe from the Carbalose web site. It tasted pretty good in the end but here's what happened to me:

The recipe says to put together the yeast, water, sugar, salt and olive oil, and add 2 cubs carbquik and "beat until elastic".

I have a 30+year old hand-held mixer that I put on its highest setting and mixed for 3-4 minutes. Looked "elastic" to me but I am not an experienced baker. I then continued the recipe and added 2/3 cup more Carbquick. Turned it out of the bowl to knead it.

WELL! It was so gooey and stick I could not knead it at all. I must have added at least 2/3 more cups of Carbquik to stop it sticking to my hands and board. I had to keep "flouring" the board to keep it from sticking.

So what did I do wrong? Did I not beat the first mixture long enough? Are the quantities in the recipe inaccurate? Or is this a potentially normal variation in all the carbalose web site recipes?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:43 AM   #618
The Low Carb Chef

Re: Need help from Chef Greg!

Quote:
Originally posted by mrsadm
Yesterday I made the Focaccia (sp?) recipe from the Carbalose web site. It tasted pretty good in the end but here's what happened to me:

The recipe says to put together the yeast, water, sugar, salt and olive oil, and add 2 cubs carbquik and "beat until elastic".

I have a 30+year old hand-held mixer that I put on its highest setting and mixed for 3-4 minutes. Looked "elastic" to me but I am not an experienced baker. I then continued the recipe and added 2/3 cup more Carbquick. Turned it out of the bowl to knead it.

WELL! It was so gooey and stick I could not knead it at all. I must have added at least 2/3 more cups of Carbquik to stop it sticking to my hands and board. I had to keep "flouring" the board to keep it from sticking.

So what did I do wrong? Did I not beat the first mixture long enough? Are the quantities in the recipe inaccurate? Or is this a potentially normal variation in all the carbalose web site recipes?

Thanks for any advice.
That "blender" or Mixer" was the issue, bread type doughs need kneaded not mixed...
Old 11-14-2004, 06:42 AM   #619
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rgoodwin
Stats: 287/178/175
WOE: Atkins, then "no sugar, no white flour"
Pancake w/o heavy cream?

This dreary morning finds me with only my CQ and a bit of milk. Is it possible to make the CQ pancakes (recipe on the box) w/ just milk?

It only calls for 1/8 cup cream (+ some water) so I figure that milk ought to sub in pretty well.

Thanks!!
Old 11-14-2004, 06:43 AM   #620
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sheryl5
Quote:
That "blender" or Mixer" was the issue, bread type doughs need kneaded not mixed...
Would a mixer with a dough hook work, or would that still be a problem? I have one and I need to find a reason to use it!
Old 11-14-2004, 07:09 AM   #621
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Richard..

Look above for a great pancake recipe that Chickiemom uses..
I got it from my Better homes cookbook and subbed CQ for the flour..
Old 11-14-2004, 07:11 AM   #622
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rgoodwin
Stats: 287/178/175
WOE: Atkins, then "no sugar, no white flour"
Great recipe but I have no egg I know i'm worthless :-)
Old 11-14-2004, 07:24 AM   #623
The Low Carb Chef

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheryl5
Would a mixer with a dough hook work, or would that still be a problem? I have one and I need to find a reason to use it!
Yes a dough hook is just what you need. That is how we make dough if we are not kneading it all by hand.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:35 AM   #624
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: 5cats4me
Stats: 185/134/130
WOE: Atkins without counting
Start Date: Jan 04
I second the "yummy pancakes" by CarolynF! They are the best I've had. The recipe is above posted by chickiemom.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:47 PM   #625
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sheryl5
mrsadm.

Now that Chef Greg has given me a reason to use the dough hooks on my mixer, where is the focaccia bread recipe you made? I went to the Carbalose website, but couldn't find it. I looked in the bread recipes. Was it there, or somewhere else? Thanks!
Old 11-14-2004, 04:24 PM   #626
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
I just made this:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Killer Brownies

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 40 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Banta-Friendly Carbquik
Dessert

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
9 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
5 eggs
1 Tablespoon vanilla
liquid Splenda equivalent to 1 cup sugar
liquid Stevia equivalent to 1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable glycerin
2 1/4 cups Carbquick
3 sticks butter -- softened
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 325F.

Combine cocoa, eggs, vanilla, liquid Splenda, liquid Stevia and glycerin.

Add Carbquik, butter and pecans. Beat thoroughly.

Pour into greased 10 1/2 X 15 1/2" pan.

Bake for 30 minutes.

Cool completely before cutting into 5 strips lengthwise, 8 strips crosswise.

Description:
"Old, old recipe I have been making for years.... modified for lowcarb"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 113 Calories; 11g Fat (76.9% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 42mg Cholesterol; 121mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 2 Fat.

NOTES :
KI (using total carbs) = 1.51
KI (using 'net' carbs) = 2.80

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

I tasted one to see how they were- it was still warm.
Then I couldn't believe they were so good, so I had to
taste a 2nd one.
They are cakey, not fudgey, but I'm sure that's because
of the leavening in the Carbquik.
If anyone knows of any way to destroy the baking powder
action in a recipe, I would love to know how.

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it by the book...
It's not a stall when you're cheating!
If you don't want to do something, one excuse is as good as any other. (Yiddish Proverb)
~Proud to be a Famous Banta Babe~
Old 11-15-2004, 03:38 AM   #627
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mrsadm
Stats: Way too big/Too big/Much smaller
Re: Re: Need help from Chef Greg!

Quote:
OK so I've ordered a new Kitchenaid hand held mixer, 9 speed, with a "dough hook". I hope this will do the trick? Considering how little I bake I could not justify buying a standing mixer.

(Edited) OOPS I see my question was already answered above. Can't wait now to get my new mixer and try it out!

Last edited by mrsadm; 11-15-2004 at 03:42 AM..
Old 11-15-2004, 08:33 AM   #628

Gallery: ljh150
Can anyone tell me where I can find a CQ pie crust recipe on this mammoth thread? .....and do I need a dough hook for that?
Old 11-15-2004, 09:02 AM   #629
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
I found this pie crust recipe I saved but I have not tried it to see if it's good:

Carbquik Pat-In-The-Pan Pie Crust

I have a couple of old Bisquick cookbooks. There is a recipe for Pat-In-The Pan Pie Shell in case anyone wants to try it with Carbquick.

1 cup Bisquick (Carbquick)
1/4 cup softened butter
2 Tab. boiling water
Heat oven to 450. Mix Carbquick and butter in small bowl. Add boiling water; stir vigorously until very soft dough forms. Press dough firmly with floured fingers in ungreased pie plate, bringing dough onto rim of plate. Flute if desired. Bake until light brown, 8-10 min. Cool.
There is a variation for a chocolate crust: Mix in 1/4 cup cocoa and 2 Tab. sugar, (Splenda). Increase water to 3 Tab.
If anyone tries it, let me know if it's any good.

For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. (2 Chr 16:9 KJV)
Old 11-15-2004, 09:29 AM   #630
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Criosa
Stats: 240/171/150
WOE: hhCG, Low Carb
Start Date: In and out since 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by lgpars
I found this pie crust recipe I saved but I have not tried it to see if it's good:

Carbquik Pat-In-The-Pan Pie Crust

I have a couple of old Bisquick cookbooks. There is a recipe for Pat-In-The Pan Pie Shell in case anyone wants to try it with Carbquick.

1 cup Bisquick (Carbquick)
1/4 cup softened butter
2 Tab. boiling water
Heat oven to 450. Mix Carbquick and butter in small bowl. Add boiling water; stir vigorously until very soft dough forms. Press dough firmly with floured fingers in ungreased pie plate, bringing dough onto rim of plate. Flute if desired. Bake until light brown, 8-10 min. Cool.
There is a variation for a chocolate crust: Mix in 1/4 cup cocoa and 2 Tab. sugar, (Splenda). Increase water to 3 Tab.
If anyone tries it, let me know if it's any good.
I have tried this recipe, and it is my favorite one so far. I think it is better than the roll out recipe that was given earlier. It does tend to be more crumbly though, like shortbread. You should also bake it before filling, even if you're doing a pumpkin pie, or it will soak up the filling and stick to the pan. When I made it for pumpkin pie, I pricked it, baked it about 10 minutes or so, put on an egg yolk glaze, and baked it another minute or two to set the glaze. I would buy Carbquik just for this pie crust.

Last edited by Criosa; 11-15-2004 at 09:31 AM..