Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2004, 04:46 PM   #571
The Low Carb Chef

Gallery: Chefgreg
Re: ChefGreg

Quote:
Originally posted by rrosser
I want to convert some favorite recipes and I was wondering what would be the correct ratio of CarbQuik versus flour would be. Would I increase the liquid or leave the same?

Also, can CarbQuik be used as cake flour and if so what do I need to add to it to make it more like the cake flour?

Thanks!
You ask some great questions, all of which I will gladly answer, but sad to say I can not tonight. I will do my best to respond to all of these tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2004, 06:36 PM   #572
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sharon M.
Hi All!! I am tempted to try a cream puff recipe using Carbquick? Anyone been there yet?? Thanks
Old 11-07-2004, 05:19 AM   #573
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
No..but I'm betting it will be great..I had a recipe for a puff pancake....on the Popover thread..below here..I'm betting that
would work.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:08 AM   #574

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Chefgreg has posted a cream puff recipe. I'm not sure which thread it's in, so I'll just copy it here:

PATE A CHOUX (Chefgreg)
1/2 cup Butter
1 cup Water
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 1/2 cup Carbquik
4 Eggs

1. Combine the liquid, fat, salt, in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Add the Carbquik all at once. Over medium heat stir quickly for 1-2 minutes until the dough forms a ball and pulls from the sides of the pan.
3. Transfer to a mixing bowl with a paddle attachment. Mix on 1st speed until it has cooled slightly.
4. Switch to medium speed, and slowly add the eggs one by one.
5. Use the paste immediately, for maximum leavening.

GUIDELINES:
1. Adjust consistency by adding eggs.
2. Bake @ 425F for the first 10 minutes, then 375F for approx. 20 minutes, or at 400F degrees overall.

The paste is ready to use, when all the eggs are absorbed and the paste looks smooth. The paste should hold its shape when piped. Using a pastry bag fitted with a 14mm round tip, pipe rounds to the size of a quarter onto a baking sheet lined with a baking mat or parchment paper. Do not use greased pans, they will cause the paste to spread and flatten.
Using a bit of water, flatten the tops with a wet finger.

Preheat oven to 425 F. Put baking sheet into oven and reduce the temperature to 375 F.
Bake until dry, firm and golden brown, about 30 minutes. Leave on hot baking sheet in a warm area to cool. Product may collapse, if removed too soon or cooled too quickly.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:14 AM   #575

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Linda Sue: Are you experimenting with CQuik?? We would love
to have your input...
Old 11-07-2004, 06:19 AM   #576
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sharon M.
I will try Greg's recipe and sub Slpenda for the salt since I would like to fill mine with a cream cheese and whipped cream combo. For the one used with salt I would fill it with tuna salad, egg salad, or chicken salad.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:02 AM   #577
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
What is a "paddle" attachment for a mixer? I don't have a stand mixer, but my mixer does have what looks to be a dough hook to it. Would that work for the cream puffs? Or my food processor has a plastic type blade to it.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:56 AM   #578

No, Carolyn. I haven't tried it yet. I plan to order some probably next week. I'm going out of town for a few days this week and don't want the package to arrive while I'm gone. I'm afraid that all the good recipes will have been tried by the time I get my Carbquik.

Some of the recipes I'd really like to try are the sausage gravy and biscuits, oven-baked chicken (my mom used to make the Bisquick version all the time when I was growing up), maybe some of the impossible pies and maybe see if a decent scone can be made.

I'd like to make the English-type scone that you put clotted cream over, but I'm not sure if Carbquik will give the lift necessary for such a high-rising scone. I'm talking about the round kind not the triangular kind. Too bad that raisins are so carby because I love them in scones. Maybe Chefgreg will chime in with some tips for making good scones. To me scones seem a lot like American biscuits, but a bit sweeter and they usually have an egg in them for richness and call for butter instead of shortening. The egg and butter are good things as far as low carb is concerned at least. I guess I might as well post a scone recipe for Chefgreg to work with. This is straight from one of Delia Smith's cookbooks:

DELIA SMITH'S BUTTERMILK SCONES
2-3 tablespoon buttermilk
8 ounces flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter, softened
Scant 1/4 cup sugar
1 egg

Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl. Rub the butter lightly into the flour until like bread crumbs; add sugar. Beat egg and 2 tablespoons buttermilk; add slowly to flour. Once it comes together, finish with your hands. The dough should be soft, but not sticky. If dry, add buttermilk, a teaspoon at a time.

Form dough into a ball. On lightly floured surface, roll into a circle, about 1/2-inch thick. Cut with 1 3/4" cutter without twisting. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with buttermilk and dust lightly with flour. Bake at 425º 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Cool. Makes about 10-11 scones

My notes: The original recipe called for self-rising flour, but I've converted that to regular flour plus baking powder. I've also adjusted the original dough thickness from 1" to 1/2" because that was ridiculously thick and was only enough dough to make a couple scones at that thickness. I'm sure it must have been a typo in the recipe. I also bake mine on an Airbake sheet because my oven tends to burn the bottoms of biscuits/scones before the tops get browned well.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:58 AM   #579

Here's another scone recipe I got from England, but haven't tried yet. I have eaten them in the shop that produced the cookbook that has the recipe and they are nice.

PLAIN OR FRUIT SCONES
900 grams/2 pounds self raising flour
150 grams/6 ounces butter
4 teaspoons baking powder
4 eggs
Milk, for mixing and for glazing
110 grams/4 ounces raisins

1. Put the flour, butter and baking powder in a bowl and rub together until like bread crumbs (add raisins at this stage if used).
2. Make a well in the middle and break in the eggs; bring the mixture together with a fork and add milk to make a soft, but not sticky dough.
3. Roll out on floured board to approx. 1-inch thick and using a 2 1/2" cutter, cut approximately 18-20 rounds.
4. Place on a floured baking tray and brush with milk.
5. Bake at 400ºF, for 10-15 minutes until a light golden colour.

Makes 18-20 scones
Old 11-07-2004, 10:10 AM   #580
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chickiemom
ChefGreg That is a BIG YES on the fritter recipe and any kind of fried doughnut or bread. I would say this has been my biggest cravings since going LC
Old 11-07-2004, 10:41 AM   #581
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
Oh, and he asks so innocently if we want the fritter recipe. YESSSSS!!!!!! TIA. And ChefGreg, tell us where and when we can buy your book, and can we get it autographed? Cause, if you're not already, you will become famous. Julie
Old 11-07-2004, 10:42 AM   #582
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Hey guys! Thanks for posting your recipes and experimentation. It's been very helpful!

Are any of you stalling or gaining from it? I am very sensitive and had gained every time I've made something. When I made the cheesecake it wasn't as bad, and I watched my poritons well then too. I just wanted to know if anyone else has had the same challenge?

I do love it and think it will be such a nice part of maintenance, when I get there. But while I am still trying to lose I think I will just have to wait, or maybe save it for special occasions, like Thanksgiving.

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2004, 10:57 AM   #583
The Low Carb Chef

Quote:
Originally posted by SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Oh, and he asks so innocently if we want the fritter recipe. YESSSSS!!!!!! TIA. And ChefGreg, tell us where and when we can buy your book, and can we get it autographed? Cause, if you're not already, you will become famous. Julie
Julie, I love your vote of confidence. Once the book is edited and printed, I will hope that Tom will offer it here, as well as I hope to have it thru my web site, and in retail locations. I have 2 books already in print, one that has reached 33rd on the specialty best seller list. I currently am doing a TV show, as well as writing another book, doing cooking demos and apperances. So in all honesty I couldn't ask for a lot more fame. I love what I do, the people I am involved with and those that allow me to touch their lives.

Now enough of all that here you go;

Carbquik Apple Fritters
Servings: 50

6 eggs, separated
2 cups milk
3 1/2 cups Carbquik
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons Splenda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
24 ounces apples, peeled, cored, medium dice
Powdered Splenda, as needed

1. Combine the egg yolks and milk.
2. Stir together the Carbquik, baking powder, salt, Splenda and cinnamon. Add the dry ingredients to the milk-and-egg mixture; mix until smooth.
3. Allow the batter to rest 1/2 hour.
4. Stir the apples into the batter. Mix well.
5. Just before the fritters are to be cooked, whip the egg whites to soft peaks and fold into the batter.
6. Scoop the fritters into 350ºF deep fat, using the swimming method. Cook until done.
7. Dust with powdered Splenda and serve hot.

Yield: 100 (2-inch) Fritters 2 per serving

Per Serving 47 Calories; 2g Fat (31.7% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 3g net carbs
Old 11-07-2004, 11:10 AM   #584
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Cap57
Stats: 155/150/135 (5'8")
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Sept. 2003
This recipe was first posted last year by Raul, and makes excellent fritters or doughnut holes. I just tried it again, subbing Carbquik for the bake mix, and they were excellent! I even tried a chocolate variation, as well as add chopped apple to one to make an apple fritter. The possibilities are endless! There is a separate thread, entitled "If you love fritters or doughnuts..." but here is the basic recipe. I did need to use 4 Tab. of Carbquik, but only 3 Tab. when I used the Carbsense.
My tweaks are in parentheses.

Dry Ingredients:
3 Tab. Carbsense Zero Carb Bake Mix (or 4 Tab. Carbquik)
1 Packet Splenda (I used 8 drops liquid Splenda)
1/8 Teaspoon Stevia (I omitted, because I was using Davinci's)
1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
(I also added a pinch of nutmeg, because my Grandma always used nutmeg in her homemade doughnuts).

Wet Ingredients:
1 Large Egg White, beaten
3 Tablespoons water (I sub Davinci's. So far I've tried French Vanilla and Irish Cream. Both are delicious!)

1. Beat egg white until frothy with 1 Packet Splenda & 3 Tablespoons water. (I first beat the egg white alone till frothy, but not stiff, then added the Davinci's and liquid Splenda and beat some more. You don't want it as thick as meringue, but it should have some body to it to help your dough-nots have a nice puffy shape.)
2. Add dry ingredients and combine well.
3. Fry batter in your oil of choice until crispy & golden brown. (I put about an inch of oil in a small sauce pan.)
4. Sprinkle with 1 more packet of Splenda (I mixed some granular Splenda with a little cinnamon to sprinkle over).
The recipe makes about 8-10 doughnut hole sized treats. They really puff up as they cook. I ate them all, but I think the carb count is no more than 2 or 3 for the whole batch.
Variations: Apple Fritter: Add finely chopped apple pieces.
Chocolate Sugared Doughnut: Add 2 tsp. cocoa, and the 1/8tsp Stevia.
Use different flavored extracts and/or Davinci's; chocolate with coconut would be good!
If anyone comes up with new variations, please post!
And a huge THANK YOU TO RAUL, who originated this recipe!
Old 11-07-2004, 06:30 PM   #585
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: showgirl
Stats: 127/116/115 5'3"
WOE: diet free!
Start Date: 3/1/05
Re: I made this last night for non-lowcarbing company and it was delicious!

Quote:
Originally posted by eko42
Lower carb Impossible Apple Pie....Included in the recipe are the low carb tweaks I made. I would call this dessert lower carb as it is still far from being low carb due to the apples. If anyone could run this through their Master Cook program for the nutritional information that would be great.

Erin---

LOWER CARB IMPOSSIBLE APPLE PIE

3 cups sliced peeled all-purpose apples (3 large)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup Carbquick
1/2 cup Splenda
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon butter, softened
2 eggs

Streusel (see recipe below)

Heat oven to 325°. Grease 9-inch pie plate. Stir together apples, cinnamon and nutmeg; turn into pie plate. Stir remaining ingredients except Streusel until blended. Pour into pie plate. Sprinkle with Streusel. Bake 40 to 45 minutes (mine took 1 hour) or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes. I served this warm with a scoop of low carb vanilla ice cream. Cover and refrigerate any remaining pie.

Streusel
1/2 cup Carbquick
1/4 cup chopped nuts
1/4 cup Splenda
1 tablespoon molasses
2 tablespoons firm butter

Stir together all ingredients until crumbly.
erin-i made ths tonight sub-bing peaches for the apples and using less cinnamon. it came out fantastic! i've been on a 5 year quest to find a recipe for peach cobbler like the one at this rib joint we used to go to and this is it! i bet 'cha that restauant uses the bisquick version of this. thank you so much for posting it!
Old 11-07-2004, 06:42 PM   #586
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eko42
Stats: 184/170/125
WOE: hHCG
Start Date: July 9, 2013
showgirl,

I am so glad you enjoyed this recipe and what a great idea to substitute peaches for the apples! I have a few questions for you regarding doing this...

Did you use fresh or frozen peaches?
And if frozen were they thawed before baking?
How much cinnamon did you use?
Was the baking time the same as with using apples?

As you can see by the number of questions I am very excited about this variation.

I used to make a cobbler prior to low carbing that had peaches, blueberries and cinnamon in it and I am thinking this combination would work also.

Erin---
Old 11-07-2004, 07:12 PM   #587
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: showgirl
Stats: 127/116/115 5'3"
WOE: diet free!
Start Date: 3/1/05
erin

i used frozen peaches 16oz, thawed
1/2 tsp cinnamon

i cooked it for an hour, however i used whey low for the sweetener which requires a 25 degree lower temperature. splenda to me has an aftertaste and i haven't quite got the art of mixing sweeteners for getting rid of that aftertaste.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:30 PM   #588
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
rgoodwin

In response to a previous subject, my cookies came out crumbly/powdery and the batter was also the consistency of icing too. I have been afraid to try another cookie recipe as those ones went in the trash.

So you're not alone! I cook/Bake all the time, and I have difficutly with CQ.

But I do want to follow that with- when you get something to turn out right- it's worth it!
Old 11-07-2004, 07:43 PM   #589
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rgoodwin
Stats: 287/178/175
WOE: Atkins, then "no sugar, no white flour"
Aedekins:

I read some articles on "how to cream butter" and dealing with cookie dough from baking911.com. That's what really helped me to understand what was happening when I mixed them.

Having the butter/cheese slightly cold and hard vs micro'ed really helped everything stay together. Then I went w/ 3/4 cup of CQ (remember half the recipe would have been 1 cup). They came out much better as I mentioned, and after cooling aren't even really that crumbly, more soft than anything.

I just made the Impossible Pumpkin Pie tonight, using this recipe:

============
INGREDIENTS:

* 3/4 cup white sugar
* 1/2 cup biscuit baking mix
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
* 2 eggs
* 1 (15 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin puree
* 2 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9 inch pie pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine sugar and baking mix. Stir in butter, milk and eggs. Then beat in pumpkin, spice and vanilla to mixture until smooth. Pour into pie pan.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Refrigerate any remaining pie. High altitude directions: Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 45 to 50 minutes.

========

I did a 1:1 sub for Splenda/CQ. It came out pretty well, but didn't make a crust. I guess the CQ just baked up inside of it somewhere ;-) Anyone know what might have happened? I think I had it mixed well enough, but still saw little bits of CQ in the mix when I poured it into the metal pie pan.

Richard
Old 11-08-2004, 08:22 AM   #590
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
Thanks for that info. I may have to try the cookies one more time. The pumpkin pie sounds great too!
Old 11-09-2004, 09:43 PM   #591
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
For Chefgreg

You haven't forgotten about my orange cookie recipe have you? Hint Hint
Old 11-10-2004, 07:24 AM   #592
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: LowCalSal
Stats: 257/197/140..................60# down, 57# to go!
WOE: Atkins, meat fast
Start Date: 11/21/01 then 12/02/03 then 10/18/04
Any idea the nutritional counts on the cornbread and pecan cake made in the cast iron skillet?? I am looking for counts on the complete recipe not per serving.

I have to say I am SOLD on this product. I got it on Monday and made the cheese biscuits on the box. Good. Last night I made the cornbread (DELISH!) and the pecan cake (wonderful!)

I will be ordering a couple more boxes for the holiday season for sure!
Old 11-10-2004, 01:03 PM   #593

Gallery: ljh150
I made the brownie recipe today, they were just OK. I was disapointed because the icing called for 1 TB liquid splenda, I used sweetzfre, and it was WAY to sweet. I'm glad I tasted it before I frosted the brownies, because I had to throw it out.

Chefgreg, what brand of liquid splenda is that recipe calling for?

Last edited by ljh150; 11-10-2004 at 01:07 PM..
Old 11-10-2004, 01:40 PM   #594
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mrs_munro
Stats: 167/127/130
Start Date: July 2003
is Carbquick available anywere in Michigan yet? My pal and I are going to be taking a trip over the border, and we'd love to find some of this!
Old 11-10-2004, 02:33 PM   #595

Gallery: sunset
So far I think the only place you can get Carbquik is from Netrition.com. I live in Upper Michigan and it isn't in any stores around here.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:12 PM   #596
Pulling hair out

Gallery: LucyAnn30906
Stats: 239~???
WOE: ?
[COLOR=sandybrown]Can we buy it in stores or do we have to send away for it?TIA[/COLOR]
Old 11-10-2004, 05:40 PM   #597
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rrosser
Carbquik locations

Other than online Carbquik is currently available now at Kroger locations in Southern Indiana, Kentucky, Southern Illinois, and Tennessee.

Also some low carb specialty stores are selling it. It's more or less
in the testing stages now and as demand grows they are supposed to expand their market areas.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-10-2004, 06:00 PM   #598

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Sam's Club in Beavercreek, OH has it in the 3-lb packages.
Just saw it tonight for the first time.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:06 AM   #599
The Low Carb Chef

Quote:
Originally posted by ljh150
I made the brownie recipe today, they were just OK. I was disapointed because the icing called for 1 TB liquid splenda, I used sweetzfre, and it was WAY to sweet. I'm glad I tasted it before I frosted the brownies, because I had to throw it out.

Chefgreg, what brand of liquid splenda is that recipe calling for?
I have never listed a liquid sweetener, all of my recipes I use bulk splenda, I am not a huge fan of the liquid products for home use.
What recipe are you referring to??
Old 11-11-2004, 07:07 AM   #600
The Low Carb Chef

Re: For Chefgreg

Quote:
Originally posted by lgpars
You haven't forgotten about my orange cookie recipe have you? Hint Hint
I have not forgotten, I have just been swamped, I will soon