Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2004, 06:38 PM   #481
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rrosser
I bought some of the Rosies Gold Taco shells and taste wise they are very good. However they do make my BGL go up even though I take insulin. I have eaten them twice now and got a rise both times.

On the other hand the CarbQuik biscuits did not cause a rise at all. That was a big surprise to me since most breads or anything made from any types of flours do. Just because it's labeled low carb doesn't mean it won't cause a problem for some people, so if you are diabetic I strongly suggest you test after eating breadie type foods to be on the safe side.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2004, 07:56 PM   #482
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
I've been eating carbquik 3 days in a row and gained a pound each day!!! What is going on???

Saturday- Brownies
Sunday- Chicken and Dumplings
Monday- 1 small slice spice cake and "impossible cheeseburger pie"

I've been on maintenance and never had problems like this before! I am going to stop eating it for a copule days and see if my weight goes downa gain.

I didn't see this one coming!!!
Old 10-26-2004, 11:01 PM   #483
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sassy_7385
What are the carb counts? Did anyone figure them out? I saw 2g for 1 bisquit. But that doesnt' help when making something elso?
Old 10-27-2004, 04:00 AM   #484
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: LCRedhead
Stats: Total Lost 9.5
WOE: SS
Start Date: Aug. 22, 2008
Quote:
Originally posted by Aediekins
What is going on???
You previously said you could taste salt. Might be fluid retention?
Old 10-27-2004, 06:01 AM   #485
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cthiele
Stats: 235/155/155
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: February 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by sassy_7385
What are the carb counts? Did anyone figure them out? I saw 2g for 1 bisquit. But that doesnt' help when making something elso?
This is from another thread:

* Exported from MasterCook *

1 cup carbquik

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 360 Calories; 21g Fat (36.0% calories from fat); 24g Protein; 60g Carbohydrate; 48g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 0mg Sodium. Exchanges: .
Old 10-27-2004, 06:27 AM   #486
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: suzg
Stats: 178/139/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Sept'03
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom
The new larger 3 lb box of Carbquik is now available at Netrition.com. $10.99
YEA!!

In 2 days I've used 1 1/2 small boxes. Won't last long at this rate. Made the impossibly easy cheeseburger pie from bisquick's
website last night with CQ. It was good.

I also made the pound cake from CQ's website...and I think I may have just overbaked it a tad. It's dry...but I think I'll whip some cream and add some blueberries to have with it. The flavor is very good. My non low carb husband has liked everything I've made with it!

I haven't noticed a salty taste...but I've left the salt out of recipes since other people were mentioning too salty.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:01 AM   #487
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: HaleysNana
WOE: Sugar Free...one day at a time!
Start Date: 4/12/04
The only time I've gained after eating anything with Carbquik was the pumpkin cookies with glycerin...which also caused extreme gastro distress for me (I'm weird....can't help it) so it wasn't the Carbquik that caused the gain.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:14 PM   #488
Senior LCF Member

I made my order too and I can hardly wait for it to come. I went to a Bisquick site and got a bunch of recipes that I'm dying to try with the CarbQuick. These recipes sound sooo good I'm actually looking forward to Monday for a change. (That's when my order arrives!
Old 10-28-2004, 12:51 AM   #489
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shaylabooboo
Stats: 379/270/199
WOE: Taking It One Day At A Time
Start Date: who knows?
I'm sure someone has already asked but I really don't want to have to read thru 20 some pages...

Approximately how much is in a small box? How many cups of mix is actually in the 16oz box?

Thanks so much!
Old 10-28-2004, 12:59 AM   #490
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TovaRep
Quote:
Originally posted by shaylabooboo
I'm sure someone has already asked but I really don't want to have to read thru 20 some pages...

Approximately how much is in a small box? How many cups of mix is actually in the 16oz box?

Thanks so much!
There are about 4 cups of Carbquik in a 1 lb box. This will make quite a few meals for 1 or 2 people depending on what you make.

There are about 12 cups in a 3 lb box. This is great for a family or frequent cook.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:27 AM   #491
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: VAmomof2
Stats: 150/130/128-130
WOE: general lc and exercise
Start Date: Jan 2004
TovaRep - Some of us posted this in another thread but did not get a response. Could you please let us know both the carb and calorie count for 1 cup of CarbQuik. The box lists counts for 1/3 of a cup and for 1 oz. Chef Greg mentioned once in the this thread that there are 4.4 oz in a cup but that makes the numbers not match. Thanks in advance for clearing this up for us.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:55 AM   #492
The Low Carb Chef

Gallery: Chefgreg
Quote:
Originally posted by VAmomof2
TovaRep - Some of us posted this in another thread but did not get a response. Could you please let us know both the carb and calorie count for 1 cup of CarbQuik. The box lists counts for 1/3 of a cup and for 1 oz. Chef Greg mentioned once in the this thread that there are 4.4 oz in a cup but that makes the numbers not match. Thanks in advance for clearing this up for us.
Here we go again. The one ounce does not represent a 1/3 cup.
The one ounce represents the amount of the item used in the serving size. There are 12 net carbs per average cup. or 4.4 ounces.

Per the panel on the box.
1/3 cup
Calories 120 x 3 = 360
Net Carbs 4g x 3 = 12

Now if you look at the panel, it indicates a finished product of 1 ounce which required 20 grams of dry Carbquik to make. The product serving size does not indicate 1 ounce of dry product. When one establishes the serving size that is representative of the complete finished product. The other 8 grams in this product represents the liquid, in this case water. So you have 20 grams of mix and 8 grams of water for a finished net product weight of 1 ounce or 28 grams.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:35 PM   #493
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: showgirl
Stats: 127/116/115 5'3"
WOE: diet free!
Start Date: 3/1/05
hi chef greg

this is a friendly reminder. you were going to post a yellow cake recipe similar to the packaged 18.25 oz kind you find at the store. you gave us a devil's food recipe earlier. thank you!
Old 10-28-2004, 02:26 PM   #494
The Low Carb Chef

Quote:
Originally posted by showgirl
hi chef greg

this is a friendly reminder. you were going to post a yellow cake recipe similar to the packaged 18.25 oz kind you find at the store. you gave us a devil's food recipe earlier. thank you!
Here you go;
Please remember do not tap or pack the Carbquik. If the batter is stiff, add water 1 tablespoon at a time till it is the consitency of a typical cake batter.

2 cups Carbquik loosely filled measure, do not tap or pack
1 1/3 cups Splenda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs
4 drops yellow food color (optional)

1. Heat oven to 350*.
2. Mix dry ingredients in lg bowl.
3. Add shortening, milk and vanilla.
4. Beat on med for 2 minutes.
5. Add eggs and food color is using beat for 30 seconds more.
6. Bake in greased 13x9 pan for 35 minutes, or until pick comes out clean.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:58 PM   #495
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lynnp
Stats: size 26/22/size 6
WOE: protein and vlc
Start Date: October 20, 2008
Chefgreg, You're awesome!

Thanks Chefgreg for all your amazing and generous help on this thread!

I cannot wait for your cookbooks to be available. Do you have a date yet for their release? Will the home version of the croissants be there?

Any ideas on the wonton skins recipe?

Thanks,

lynnp
Old 10-28-2004, 03:02 PM   #496
Tom
Administrator

Gallery: Tom
Chef Greg's book, A Complete Low Carb Lifestyle: An Executive Chef's Low Carb Lifestyle Culinary Guide, is now available at Netrition.com.

(This is not the Carbquik cookbook that he is planning to release.)

By Gregory Pryor C. E. C. ("The Low Carb Chef")

Chef Greg Pryor reveals the simple truths with his book, "A COMPLETE LOW CARB LIFESTYLE" with the same flair and lay in on the line approach that has shaped his career in the professional culinary field. Professionally trained with a degree in Culinary Arts, this Certified Executive Chef reveals to his readers the knowledge and guidance from many years as a professional Chef, having worked directly with the Atkins Group, applying his training, and creating Low Carb recipes and tips to the Atkins Group. Now Chef Greg shares these and many more recipes and tips to live a Low Carb Lifestyle for Life.

This is not just a cookbook. Nor is it simply a collection of recipes low in carbohydrates. What this book is, however, is a collection of knowledge, inspirations, guidance, and moral support that will be your key to a successful Low Carb Lifestyle. Contained within these pages is an exploration of the myths and facts associated with Low Carb Lifestyle, and the do's and don'ts for success. Because of the continued success and interest in the Low Carb Lifestyle, many culinary myths exist both in print and in idea. My purpose for writing this book is to share with you the knowledge and understanding of food, culinary use of and the classic applications of cooking rich, flavorful, satisfying, rewarding meals that are the key to a satisfying Low Carb Lifestyle.

Many arguments exist about what correct diet serves our lifestyle best. One fact for certain (in my humble opinion) is that the word diet is the first strike in the batting order. What we will be exploring in these pages is a Lifestyle, not a diet. My goal is to support and motivate those who have made a commitment to themselves and their loved ones to take back control of their lifestyle. As we can agree, the benefits of proper weight management may be the most important action that we can take control of ourselves. Today, more than ever before, weight control is the greater issue. My personal beliefs and experiences have proven to me that the simplest and easiest of all weight control changes we can make in our life is the control of carbohydrate intake in our daily diet.

"I am not a writer; I am a Chef that in 1994 recognized the many benefits of a Low Carb Lifestyle". "My biggest complaint was then and continues to be, the constant attempt by so many to re-create the wheel".
Old 10-28-2004, 05:28 PM   #497
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Chefgreg's book

Thanks for the info. I already own his other book and it is great. I am just really anxious to get the 2 new ones as well.

lynnp
Old 10-28-2004, 05:49 PM   #498
The Low Carb Chef

Re: Chefgreg, You're awesome!

Quote:
Originally posted by lynnp
Thanks Chefgreg for all your amazing and generous help on this thread!

I cannot wait for your cookbooks to be available. Do you have a date yet for their release? Will the home version of the croissants be there?

Any ideas on the wonton skins recipe?

Thanks,

lynnp
Sorry it took so long to get the wonton skins for you, I had to play with this a while. But I have here what worked for me. This also doubles as a pasta recipe. This is a little vragile to work with at first, but after drying it becomes very easy. Here we break traditon with Carbquik, you need to sift the Carbquik for this recipe. The solids will disrupt the dough.

1 1/2 cups sifted carbquik
3 egg yolks
2 whole eggs
1 teaspoon corn starch.

In a food processor place the sifted Carbquik and corn starch. Add the egg yolks and whole eggs. Pulse food processor to mix the dough. Continue to pulse until the dough forms a ball around the blade.

Divide the dough into 4 balls and begin rolling the dough in all directions until the dough is very thin. Let this sit and dry about 30 minutes. Cut the dough into wonton size skins, or at his point you can also cut this into pasta noodles or sheets. Let the cut dough dry over night. Use as required.

SECOND POINT OF INTEREST; I WAS INFORMED TODAY THAT TOVA HAS MADE SOME SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENTS TO CARBQUIK, FURTHER REDUCING THE NET CARBS. I WILL LET TOVAREP PROVIDE THE DETAILS, BUT IT IS VERY EXCITING.

THIRD; AS FOR MY OTHER BOOKS. I AM ABOUT 2 WEEKS AWAY FROM FINISHING THE CARBQUIK BOOK. I HOPE TO HAVE IT IN PRINT BEFORE THE HOLIDAYS. AS FOR MY NEXT LOWCARB BOOK, I EXPECT IT IN THE FIRST QUARTER OF NEXT YEAR.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:09 PM   #499
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: showgirl
Stats: 127/116/115 5'3"
WOE: diet free!
Start Date: 3/1/05
thank you chefgreg!

Old 10-28-2004, 09:04 PM   #500
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

THANKS CHEFGREG!

You ROCK!!!
Old 10-28-2004, 09:06 PM   #501
Senior LCF Member

Impossible Chocolate Cream Pie

I need some help here. Tonight I made a Impossible Chocolate Cream Pie. When I took it out of the oven it was lovely and about 2" high. After cooling the darn thing fell to less than half an inch! I was so disappointed when I saw it.

Here's the recipe I used. Maybe some of you good bakers can tell me where I went wrong.

Impossible Chocolate Cream Pie

2 eggs
1C. milk (I used Hoods)
1/4 c. margarine or butter, softened
2 sq. (1 oz. ea.) melted unsweetened chocolate (cooled)
1 c. Splenda
1/2 c. CarbQuik

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease pie plate, 9x1 1/4". Place all ingredients in blender. Cover and blend on high 1 minute. Pour into plate. Bake until no indentation remains when touched lightly in center, about 30 minutes. Cool completely. Top with sweetened whipped cream if desired.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:07 PM   #502
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Question for Chefgreg

On the new, lower net carb count for carbquik, is that true for the currently available 3 lb boxes or for future releases of the product? (If you know.)

lynnp
Old 10-29-2004, 03:25 AM   #503
The Low Carb Chef

Re: Question for Chefgreg

Quote:
Originally posted by lynnp
On the new, lower net carb count for carbquik, is that true for the currently available 3 lb boxes or for future releases of the product? (If you know.)

lynnp
YES
Old 10-29-2004, 05:31 AM   #504
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Hi Chefgreg..

We would love to have the recipe for cornbread as well as
the buttery pie crust that Cheri showed us a picture of several
weeks ago..Where can we find it?? Thanks..
Old 10-29-2004, 06:33 AM   #505
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: lulu1125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Started June 15 2003, REstarted Sept 5 2003
Quote:
Re: Question for Chefgreg On the new, lower net carb count for carbquik, is that true for the currently available 3 lb boxes or for future releases of the product? (If you know.)
Was the yes for the currently available product? Sorry but I was not sure. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:37 AM   #506
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SCOTTSDALEJULIE
Stats: 242/202/145
O.K. Tova Rep, Let's hear the new changes. Thanks
Old 10-29-2004, 12:17 PM   #507
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Annie64
Stats: 245/175.6/ ? 5'8"
WOE: South Beach
Start Date: 6/2/08
I have waited and waited for either of the two Krogers here to get Carbquik and even though they said they were getting it, they STILL don't have it a month later! And these Krogers have a LOT of lc stuff!

I finally just ordered it from this site - can't wait to get it and try some of the recipes!
Old 10-29-2004, 01:35 PM   #508
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: parrotchic
Chefgreg, I made your yellow cake recipe today and frosted it with the Atkins Choc. Butter Cream Frosting, all I can say is yummy, yummy . I felt like I was cheating and eating real cake. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:02 PM   #509
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: parrotchic
I forgot to add that I added 1 teaspoon of Princess Cake and Cookie Bakery Flavoring, I may use 2tsps. next time for a stronger flavor.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:07 PM   #510
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dianna
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: May 23, 2004
Parrotchic, how many carbs are in a piece of this cake with the frosting? I'm don't know how many carbs are in the cake alone either, but the frosting sounds really good. I've never heard of it. It sounds wonderful.

Dianna