Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2004, 09:12 AM   #421
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: HaleysNana
WOE: Sugar Free...one day at a time!
Start Date: 4/12/04
Hmmmm....so do I make these last 2 boxes stretch or go ahead and order more....decisions, decisions!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2004, 09:13 AM   #422
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: djcarbno
Stats: 220/154/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2004
I have had my box for about 2 weeks..have made biscuits which were somewhat salty but I did add a small amount of baking powder to them and that may have attributed to the taste. I breaded chicken in it which was good (no salty taste)...but the gravy as VERY salty- not edible! I didn't add any salt to the gravy but I did use my leftover carbquik coating mix in the gravy and that did have salt added to it per instructions on box.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:15 AM   #423
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chickiemom
Yeah Cause I've almost blasted through my 3 boxes and will only order the 3 lb boxes now that I know we like it

No problem with saltiness here and I'm fairly sensitive to salt
Old 10-21-2004, 09:44 AM   #424
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
Thank you "Tova rep" for you responses. I would love to be able to use your product. I think it has great possibilities. Others have noticed it's saltiness, but do you think it could have been a bad batch? Have you ever tasted the flour straight out of the package?

Like I said before, I don't think it's the recipes, I think it's the product itself. The biscuits were slighlty salty and I added no salt. Plus, the flour itself is extremely salty.

I had some other problems with the brownies (They were bland and bitter) and the texture of the cookies was way off. Extremely crumbly, almost powedery. Not to mentiont he salt. So if you have any suggestions for those problems that would be great.

But I won't be making cookies with it until you come out with a low-sodium version. And I'm bummed I wasted 4 cups of splenda on those nasty little brownies. Splenda is expensive!!!

Lot's of people are sensitive to salt, maybe you could make a salt-less version?

Overall, I think it has definite promise though.

Let me know! Thanks!

Low-Carb foods are not created equal
Enjoy- cream, butter, coconut oil, olive oil, fresh chicken, fish, beef, pork, bacon, sausage, cheese, LC veggies, berries/melon, dressings, stevia, chocolate (75% cocoa) and red wine
Avoid - Mayo, canola oil, too much protein, processed LC foods (tortillas, candy, shakes, bars) Splenda and other artificial sweeteners, corn products (xanthan gum, dextrose, maltodextrin)
Old 10-21-2004, 09:58 AM   #425
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KatEyez44
Stats: 145/130/120 - 5'2", 34 yrs
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 1/3/12
RE: Tollhouse Cookies, Saltiness

One of the first recipes I made w/Carbquik was the tollhouse Cookies. When I tried them right out of the oven, I was disappointed with them - both taste and texture. I did not want to throw them away, though (b/c it seemed like a waste), so I waited for them to cool, wrapped them and put them in the fridge. The next day I decided to try one again right out of the fridge, and they were great! Btwn DH (who does not low-carb and won't eat low carb stuff unless he truly likes it) and myself, we managed to finish the whole batch over the next week. I also experienced the same thing with the brownies - they were better after they'd cooled and been left in the fridge overnight.

The saltiness seems to dissipate after cooling in the fridge, and the texture seems to firm up a bit after cooling in the fridge. I would suggest giving this a try if you try either of these recipes again in the future. I didn't experience any bitterness with the brownies, but I also use a combination of sweeteners instead of straight Splenda (I use xylitol, erythritol, and Splenda).

The only other time I noticed overwhelming saltiness was when I made the Cheddar Biscuits, but at the time I didn't have any garlic powder so I used garlic salt. Next time I made them with garlic powder, and didn't add any salt, and they were perfect.

Mommy to Desmond and Phoebe
"Smash into the boundaries/lunacy has found me/gotta have a family" - Raise a Family, Lagwagon
Old 10-21-2004, 10:08 AM   #426
Major LCF Poster!

Well, the recipe calls for Splenda. I don't know anything about these other sweetners, and why do they make a difference? How do you know which ones to use. And I try to stay away from sugar alcohols.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:16 AM   #427
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KatEyez44
Stats: 145/130/120 - 5'2", 34 yrs
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 1/3/12
Well, it's been my experience, as well as that of a lot of other posters here, that chocolate and Splenda alone almost always produce bitter results. I don't think anyone is really quite sure of why this is, but it seems to be true. Also, most people seem to find that you really just get a better sweet flavor if you mix sweeteners no matter what the recipe is. I generally tend to use a mixture in all recipes that call for a substantial amount of sweetener.

I'm not really sure how to get around this without using sugar alcohols, though. I have found that I handle erythritol and xylitol very well, but need to stay away from all malitol, lactitol, and sorbitol. Hopefully someone else will be able to suggest another solution for you, but I would definitely suspect that the Splenda and chocolate combo is why you found your brownies to be bitter.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:55 AM   #428
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbredhead
Stats: 185/147/145 old - restart Jan 2009 -198/182/150
Start Date: 4/1/02 restart 1/09
Has anyone else noticed they get small "whooshes" after eating carbquik? Maybe the fiber?
Old 10-21-2004, 04:06 PM   #429
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lynnp
Stats: size 26/22/size 6
WOE: protein and vlc
Start Date: October 20, 2008
Question for Chefgreg

Hi Chefgreg, you are such a wealth of information that I thought I'd ask you this:

Do you have carbquik recipes for making something like wonton skins or egg roll wrappers? I would also love to make chinese steamed buns if you have any ideas.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

One other thing, do you have a scaled down home version of the croissant dough recipe? I have no idea how to convert it for a home kitchen not feeding the military.

Lynnp
Old 10-21-2004, 04:30 PM   #430
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TovaRep
Re: RE: Tollhouse Cookies, Saltiness

Quote:
Originally posted by KatEyez44
One of the first recipes I made w/Carbquik was the tollhouse Cookies. When I tried them right out of the oven, I was disappointed with them - both taste and texture. I did not want to throw them away, though (b/c it seemed like a waste), so I waited for them to cool, wrapped them and put them in the fridge. The next day I decided to try one again right out of the fridge, and they were great! Btwn DH (who does not low-carb and won't eat low carb stuff unless he truly likes it) and myself, we managed to finish the whole batch over the next week. I also experienced the same thing with the brownies - they were better after they'd cooled and been left in the fridge overnight.
It's interesting you said that. I asked Chef Greg about this today and he told me the same thing. The cookie/brownie need time to cool; they won't taste quite right straight out of the oven.

As for the saltiness problem, one solution may be to add a little extra splenda to a recipe. You'd be surprised how a little sweetness can cancel out saltiness.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:14 PM   #431
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: JanieP
I have not noticed any saltiness to my Carbquick. I have made bisquits, gravy, impossible pie, pancakes and brownies.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:52 PM   #432
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
That is true about the Splenda cancelling out the saltiness..When
we would use WPI..I would always add a little Splenda and it
would make it less salty..Thanks...
Old 10-21-2004, 07:44 PM   #433
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: argo2d
Quote:
Originally posted by HaleysNana
Hmmmm....so do I make these last 2 boxes stretch or go ahead and order more....decisions, decisions!
i wish i was as rich as you people!!

Old 10-21-2004, 07:54 PM   #434
Major LCF Poster!

IT's still salty!!! Maybe I have a bad box.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:28 PM   #435
Junior LCF Member

Ok I am going to give Carbquik another try! I will not be adding ANY salt of any kind (table,garlic) and will add a bit of splenda to recipes that normally dont take sweetner (like GRAVY)! I haven't made any dessert type recipes but may have to give it a go - just to see if the sugar does help the saltiness. I am all for letting things cool to help tone down the saltiness ...but really who wants cold biscuits or gravy?? Hope this experiment works - I was so looking forward to this product!
Old 10-21-2004, 10:03 PM   #436
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
That's weird. I haven't noticed any saltiness to my Carbquik either. I've made the roll out biscuits, the cherry cobbler, and the impossible apple pie and all were great.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:20 AM   #437
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eko42
Stats: 184/170/125
WOE: hHCG
Start Date: July 9, 2013
CarolynF,

I made your Apple Walnut Cake for dessert this evening and it was delicious! I served it to my non-lowcarbing parents and they were pleasantly surprised. Thank you for posting this recipe I will be making this again.

Thanks and Regards,
Erin---
Old 10-22-2004, 02:17 AM   #438
Major LCF Poster!

I am so bummed.... I want to enjoy the carbquik like everyone else! The recipes are all so yummy sounding!!!

I tasted the brownies again after letting them cool overnight. Still no flavor. Believe me--- I wish they tasted great.

I feel like I'm missing something- but I don't want to continue to make these things cause they all turn out salty! My tongue is still "Raw" from the saltiness. This is astounding to me cause I usually love salt!

What is going on???

(from now on- when dealing with chocolate I will try a mix of sweeteners.)
Old 10-22-2004, 07:23 AM   #439
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: VAmomof2
Stats: 150/130/128-130
WOE: general lc and exercise
Start Date: Jan 2004
Anyone want to try a new recipe? I found one in my files that calls for biscuit mix. I have never tried it but it sounds great and easy. I need to find the splenda sweetened pie filling or I could make my own. I’ll post the recipe below if anyone wants to give it a spin and post the results.

Old-Fashioned Fried Pies

2 cups biscuit mix (use CarbQuik)
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk (use Hoods or cream and water)
1 21 oz. can cherry, apple, blueberry pie filling (I think there is SF of this)
Vegetable Oil
Powdered Sugar (spin some granular splenda in a blender)

Place biscuit mix and milk in a large mixing bowl; stir well to combine. Shape dough into a ball. Cover dough, and chill thoroughly.

Roll chilled dough to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut ten 4-inch circles from dough.

Place about 1 ½ tablespoons pie filling in the center of each circle of dough. Moisten edges with water. Fold dough over pie filling to form half-circles. Seal edges of dough securely with a fork.

Chill prepared pies 30 minutes. Fry pies, a few at a time, in deep hot oil (375 degrees) 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain well on paper towels.

Let pies cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Yields 10 4-inch pies.

Note: Chef Greg has mentioned that CarbQuik is thirstier than normal bake mix so you might need to decrease the mix by a tablespoon or add a tiny bit more milk.

I am going to look for the pie filling and break out my deep fryer. This almost sounds like something I could prepare ahead and chill until cook time to make them for breakfast or a special dessert.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:17 AM   #440
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Adie..Sorry you are having a bad experience..But try the Impossible Apple Pie OR my Apple-Walnut Cake..Those are wonderful..

VA: Anxious for you to try this recipe for us..Carbquik doesn't
act like Bisquick..and I'm not sure how this will work..but hope
it's a big success so we can all enjoy it..
Old 10-22-2004, 08:05 PM   #441
Junior LCF Member

I am so excited - I have finally made something worth eating using Carbquik! I made the apple cake and it was great - not salty!! I consider myself a pretty good cook and was getting discouraged about not getting the carbquik recipes to work out..I guess all it took was using the splenda! Thanks for all the great tips!
Old 10-24-2004, 06:49 AM   #442
The Low Carb Chef

Gallery: Chefgreg
Quote:
Originally posted by djcarbno
I am so excited - I have finally made something worth eating using Carbquik! I made the apple cake and it was great - not salty!! I consider myself a pretty good cook and was getting discouraged about not getting the carbquik recipes to work out..I guess all it took was using the splenda! Thanks for all the great tips!
ALL THE RECIPES I HAVE WORKED WITH AND ADJUSTED AND OR CREATED ARE ALL DONE WITH SPLENDA. ALTHOUGH MANY HERE MAY DISAGREE WITH THIS, I HAVE FOUND MOST OF THE OTHER SWEETENERS WILL HAVE ADVERSE EFFECTS IN BAKED FORMULAS. ONE EXAMPLE IS THIS RECENT CLAIM OF SALTINESS. FOLKS TASTE THE CARBQUIK FROM THE BOX, YOU SHOULD NOT NOTICE A SALTY TASTE AS IS BEING DESCRIBED HERE. THERE ARE A NUMBER OF EXPLANATIONS, FAR TO LENGTHY TO GO INTO ON THIS BOARD, BUT THE FACT REMAINS, TO THIS I CAN ONLY SAY, AS A PROFESSIONAL CHEF CLASSICALLY TRAINED AND DEGREED, WITH 30 YEARS EXPERIENCE, I WOULD NEVER POST A RECIPE THAT HAS FAILED IN MY KITCHEN OR A TEST KITCHEN. I HAVE FORMULATED MANY OF THE LOW CARB RECIPES BEING USED OVER AND OVER IN COMMERCIAL FOOD SERVICE AS WELL AS MANY FOR OTHER COMPANIES NATION WIDE. I HAVE TESTED FOR OVER 10 YEARS NOW THE MANY LOW CARB PRODUCTS AND THE COMBINATION OF SWEETENERS BAKE MIXES, AND ALL THE OTHER ENTRIES THAT HAVE COME ALONG DURING THIS TIME.

IF CHANGING A FORMULA IS GIVING YOU UNACCEPTABLE RESULTS, THEN IT IS WORTH CONSIDERING, STAY WITH THE BASICS AND WHAT DOES WORK.
Old 10-24-2004, 06:53 AM   #443
The Low Carb Chef

Quote:
Originally posted by CarolynF
Adie..Sorry you are having a bad experience..But try the Impossible Apple Pie OR my Apple-Walnut Cake..Those are wonderful..

VA: Anxious for you to try this recipe for us..Carbquik doesn't
act like Bisquick..and I'm not sure how this will work..but hope
it's a big success so we can all enjoy it..
I SURE DO NOT AGREE WITH THIS STATEMENT, IT DOES INDEED WORK LIKE BISQUICK. SOME OF YOU I THINK ARE TRYING TO HARD TO RE-CREATE THE WHEEL. HERE IS A BET, GIVE ME ANY BISQUICK RECIPE FROM ANY SOURCE, I WILL RE-CREATE IT USING CARBQUIK, AND WILL PROMISE THE SAME HIGH QUAILTY RESULTS. I DO IT NEARLY EVERYDAY..
Old 10-24-2004, 07:28 AM   #444
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: dmk825
Stats: 265/211/175
WOE: WW Flex/LC
Quote:
Originally posted by Chefgreg
I SURE DO NOT AGREE WITH THIS STATEMENT, IT DOES INDEED WORK LIKE BISQUICK. SOME OF YOU I THINK ARE TRYING TO HARD TO RE-CREATE THE WHEEL. HERE IS A BET, GIVE ME ANY BISQUICK RECIPE FROM ANY SOURCE, I WILL RE-CREATE IT USING CARBQUIK, AND WILL PROMISE THE SAME HIGH QUAILTY RESULTS. I DO IT NEARLY EVERYDAY..
hey man - ya don't have to yell!
Old 10-24-2004, 07:28 AM   #445
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cthiele
Stats: 235/155/155
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: February 2004
ChefGreg-

There's a question on another thread about the pound cake recipe about the net carb total----

(from carbquik website)
Servings: 16
Net Carbs Per Serving: [COLOR=blue]1g[/COLOR]
Total Preparation Time: 60 minutes

3 1/2 cups Carbquik
1 1/2 cups Splenda
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 whole eggs
8 ounces cream cheese, softened

How does this only add up to 1 net gram?
Old 10-24-2004, 10:03 AM   #446
Major LCF Poster!

Chef Greg- I think she was trying to say that you can't use carbquik in Bisquik recipes with the same measurements.

My carbquik tastes salty right out of the box. Do I have a bad batch? I would be more than happy to send you some so you can see for yourself. And I am not the only one who thinks it's salty. Like I have said in previous posts- I am not saying the recipes are bad, I am suggesting I may have gotten a bad box. But no one will validate this for me.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:51 PM   #447
The Low Carb Chef

Quote:
Originally posted by dmk825
hey man - ya don't have to yell!
WHEN I AM OUT ON THE ROAD USING A LAP TOP, IT ASSIST ME TO TYPE IN CAPS....
Old 10-24-2004, 12:53 PM   #448
The Low Carb Chef

Quote:
Originally posted by cthiele
ChefGreg-

There's a question on another thread about the pound cake recipe about the net carb total----

(from carbquik website)
Servings: 16
Net Carbs Per Serving: [COLOR=blue]1g[/COLOR]
Total Preparation Time: 60 minutes

3 1/2 cups Carbquik
1 1/2 cups Splenda
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 whole eggs
8 ounces cream cheese, softened

How does this only add up to 1 net gram?
THIS WAS AN ITEM ADDRESSED PREVIOUSLY, THE NET IS NOT CORRECT AND THE NEW INFO HAS BEEN SUBMITTED.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:55 PM   #449
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lynnp
Stats: size 26/22/size 6
WOE: protein and vlc
Start Date: October 20, 2008
Hi Chefgreg

Chefgreg,

I was just wondering if you saw my previously asked questions? I was wondering if you knew of a carbquik or just low carb recipe for wonton skins or eggroll wrappers? How about for Chinese Steamed Bun dough? And lastly, if you have a scaled down recipe for the croissant dough?

I know you're busy so I'm sorry if this is annoying. I love your recipes and appreciate all your help.

PS. Any word yet on a date for you books to be released and where to buy them?

Lynnp
Old 10-24-2004, 05:01 PM   #450
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: argo2d
Re: Hi Chefgreg

where do you get carbquik in japan?!?
i cant even get it here affordably!!

Quote:
Originally posted by lynnp
Chefgreg,

I was just wondering if you saw my previously asked questions? I was wondering if you knew of a carbquik or just low carb recipe for wonton skins or eggroll wrappers? How about for Chinese Steamed Bun dough? And lastly, if you have a scaled down recipe for the croissant dough?

I know you're busy so I'm sorry if this is annoying. I love your recipes and appreciate all your help.

PS. Any word yet on a date for you books to be released and where to buy them?

Lynnp