Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2004, 02:45 PM   #361
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sdbeeme
Stats: 250/up one, down one/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Re-committed 8/04
Peanut Butter Cookies

should these be flattened down like traditional peanut butter cookies or left in balls? What about a carb count??

Thanks! Sharon

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2004, 12:12 AM   #362
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Quote:
Originally posted by smurstep
lgpars - I mixed it just like you would the loaf. I am not talented enough to come up with new mixing instructions. I mixed the dry ingredients in one bowl, wet ingredients in another and then blended the two in the larger of the two bowls. Sprayed muffin tins with Pam and baked for 20 minutes. That's all folks.

Thanks!!! I'll have to try them.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:55 AM   #363
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Motts Landing
Start Date: restarted Jan 08'
[COLOR=orangered]This is a recipe that my aunt has made for years and we just love it. Help me convert the flour part please [/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally posted by Chefgreg
HERE YOU GO, THE REVISED VERSION I OFFER SHOULD PROVIDE THE SAME RESULTS AS THE CLASSIC RECIPE

Here goes:

TIP: place a shallow pan of water underneath the skillet when cooking AND use CAST IRON!!!

AUNT RUTH'S PECAN CAKE

2 sticks butter (melted IN the iron skillet and swirled around )

In bowl mix:

1 1/2 Cups Carbquik + 1 tablesppon
1 tablespoon double acting baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/4 cups Splenda
3-4 cups pecans (broken up into pieces)
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
4 lg. eggs

Add butter to dry ingredients. Mix & pour into cast iron skillet. (LARGE ONE) This a VERY THICK DOUGH. Bake at 325 degrees approx. 1 hour & 15 minutes (more or less depending on your oven). Don't forget to place a shallow pan of water on the lower rack). Cool and slice into pie shaped wedges. I run a dinner knife around the edges real good to help release it. ALSO: I sometimes spray PAM in my skillet before swirling the butter.

This is the heaviest cake I have ever made and boy is it good. I just make sure I do not OVERCOOK it. Comes out like I said in the earlier post...crunchy, crusty on the outer edges and if you don't overcook it....chewy, gooey on the inside. NO FROSTING NEEDED. Freezes very well also.

edited to add: I turn the cake out onto a plate like a "pone" of cornbread.

[COLOR=blue]OKAY...results are in!!! I made ChefGreg's LC version of our old family favorite and it tastes absolutely wonderful! I am quite pleased. HOWEVER..... does anyone know if CQ if "lighter" than Self-rising flour? I ask that because normally my batter would be so heavy & thick it was hard to stir but using the CQ the batter was looser. ALSO....normally the sides as well as the top & bottom of the cake come out very crunchy crusty in texture with the middle being chewy & moist. Using the CQ, the outer edges got crusty but the top & bottom were just normal heavy cake like which is fine ...I am not complaining but oh how I love that crispy top/bottom & edges. Overall...delicious! I cut the recipe in half and used a smaller skillet and cut it into 8 nice size portions. (approx. 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 inches high). Can someone help figure the carb/calorie count based on the regular sized recipe please? Thanks. If anyone bakes this, let me know how yours turned out. Julie[/COLOR]
Old 10-14-2004, 07:07 AM   #364
The Low Carb Chef

Gallery: Chefgreg
Quote:
Originally posted by Motts Landing
[COLOR=orangered]This is a recipe that my aunt has made for years and we just love it. Help me convert the flour part please [/COLOR]
I CAN CERTAINLY HELP YOU GET THAT CRISPY OR CRUSTY TEXTURE. PREHEAT THE CASY IRON SKILLET IN THE HOT OVEN JUST AS ONE WOULD WITH SKILLET CORN BREAD, THEN POUR IN THE BATTER, AND CONTINUE. AS FOR THE THICKNESS OF THE BATTER, YOU CAN ALWAYS USE ONE LESS EGG OR ADD A BIT MORE CARBQUIK AS I INDICATED BY USING THE TABLESPPON ADDITION. GLAD IT WORKED OUT FOR YOU

Here goes:

TIP: place a shallow pan of water underneath the skillet when cooking AND use CAST IRON!!!

AUNT RUTH'S PECAN CAKE

2 sticks butter (melted IN the iron skillet and swirled around )

In bowl mix:

1 1/2 Cups Carbquik + 1 tablesppon
1 tablespoon double acting baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/4 cups Splenda
3-4 cups pecans (broken up into pieces)
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
4 lg. eggs

Add butter to dry ingredients. Mix & pour into cast iron skillet. (LARGE ONE) This a VERY THICK DOUGH. Bake at 325 degrees approx. 1 hour & 15 minutes (more or less depending on your oven). Don't forget to place a shallow pan of water on the lower rack). Cool and slice into pie shaped wedges. I run a dinner knife around the edges real good to help release it. ALSO: I sometimes spray PAM in my skillet before swirling the butter.

This is the heaviest cake I have ever made and boy is it good. I just make sure I do not OVERCOOK it. Comes out like I said in the earlier post...crunchy, crusty on the outer edges and if you don't overcook it....chewy, gooey on the inside. NO FROSTING NEEDED. Freezes very well also.

edited to add: I turn the cake out onto a plate like a "pone" of cornbread.

[COLOR=blue]OKAY...results are in!!! I made ChefGreg's LC version of our old family favorite and it tastes absolutely wonderful! I am quite pleased. HOWEVER..... does anyone know if CQ if "lighter" than Self-rising flour? I ask that because normally my batter would be so heavy & thick it was hard to stir but using the CQ the batter was looser. ALSO....normally the sides as well as the top & bottom of the cake come out very crunchy crusty in texture with the middle being chewy & moist. Using the CQ, the outer edges got crusty but the top & bottom were just normal heavy cake like which is fine ...I am not complaining but oh how I love that crispy top/bottom & edges. Overall...delicious! I cut the recipe in half and used a smaller skillet and cut it into 8 nice size portions. (approx. 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 inches high). Can someone help figure the carb/calorie count based on the regular sized recipe please? Thanks. If anyone bakes this, let me know how yours turned out. Julie[/COLOR]
Old 10-14-2004, 02:22 PM   #365
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lynnp
Stats: size 26/22/size 6
WOE: protein and vlc
Start Date: October 20, 2008
Questions for ChefGreg and TovaRep

First, ChefGreg thankd for all the great posts so far. I was wondering if you have a recipe for homemade pasta using carbquik? I was thinking of trying a combo of Carbquik and vital wheat gluten to add some stregth or stretch. BTW, how are the Carbquik cookbooks coming along? I have your Low carb book and want the next 2 as well.

Second, Tovarep with the caralose flour be available on its own for purchase by consumers? Would it work as an exact substitute for white or AP flour?

I'm new here and wanted to thank all of you for posting such great recipes and for all the amazing information! You guys rock!

Lynn
Old 10-14-2004, 05:31 PM   #366
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TovaRep
Re: Questions for ChefGreg and TovaRep

Quote:
Originally posted by lynnp
Second, Tovarep with the caralose flour be available on its own for purchase by consumers? Would it work as an exact substitute for white or AP flour?
At this time, we have no plans to introduce Carbalose flour by itself, though it could happen. Put simply, we just haven't seen enough demand for it at this point.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:43 PM   #367
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: showgirl
Stats: 127/116/115 5'3"
WOE: diet free!
Start Date: 3/1/05
i had asked this question a while back and since chefgreg is back maybe he can answer. can we use carbquik as a substitute for boxed yellow cake mix... for a 18.25 oz package? how much carbquik and what can we add such as how much sweetener, baking powder, etc? low carb chef offers a product at $9 bucks a box for 1 layer. i don't want to spend $18 to make one cake! Thank you.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:01 PM   #368
The Low Carb Chef

Re: Questions for ChefGreg and TovaRep

Quote:
Originally posted by lynnp
First, ChefGreg thankd for all the great posts so far. I was wondering if you have a recipe for homemade pasta using carbquik? I was thinking of trying a combo of Carbquik and vital wheat gluten to add some stregth or stretch. BTW, how are the Carbquik cookbooks coming along? I have your Low carb book and want the next 2 as well.

I'm new here and wanted to thank all of you for posting such great recipes and for all the amazing information! You guys rock!

Lynn
LYNN.
I HAVE MADE A FEW VERSIONS OF PASTA WITH CARBQUIK. ADDING THE GLUTEN WILL AND HAS MADE A BIG DIFFERENCE IN THE FINAL PRODUCT. WHAT I HAVE MADE IN THE PAST IS A TYPICAL EGG PASTA. I USED 2 CUPS CARBQUIK, 1/4 CUP OF GLUTEN, BIG PINCH OF SALT, 2 WHOLE EGGS AND 2 YOLKS. I USE MY FOOD PROCESSOR AND PULSE TILL THE DOUGH IS FORMED AND YOU CAN HANDLE. DIVIDE THE DOUGH IN FOUR PIECES. I GENERALLY LET THIS SIT ABOUT 10 MINUTES. NEXT I ROLL THE DOUGH AS THIN AS POSSIBLE. I THEN LET EACH PIECE OF ROLLED DOUGH REST AND DRY FOR 30 MINUTES. THEN I USE A PASTA CUTTER SET TO WIDE PASTA. I FASHION EACH DOUGH INTO EASY TO HANDLE SIZE AND RUN EACH THRU THE CUTTER. LET DRY AND PROCEED AS WITH ANY FRESH PASTA.

NOW LET ME FOREWARN YOU, THIS PASTA WILL NEED TO COOK A BIT MORE GENTLE THAT TYPICAL DRY PASTA.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:13 PM   #369
The Low Carb Chef

Quote:
Originally posted by showgirl
i had asked this question a while back and since chefgreg is back maybe he can answer. can we use carbquik as a substitute for boxed yellow cake mix... for a 18.25 oz package? how much carbquik and what can we add such as how much sweetener, baking powder, etc? low carb chef offers a product at $9 bucks a box for 1 layer. i don't want to spend $18 to make one cake! Thank you.
I DO HAVE A CONVERSION, HOWEVER I DID IT FOR COMMERCIAL APPLICATION.
THAT MIX YOU MENTION BY THE ALLEDGED LOW CARB CHEF IS TO BE BLUNT, GARBAGE, IT IS SO FULL OF SOY AND JUNK I WOULD AS I HAVE FOR YEARS DO WITHOUT BEFORE I WOULD EAT THAT TYPE OF PRODUCT.
I AM ON THE ROAD AT THIS TIME, AND THAT CONVERSION IS IN MY OFFICE, WHEN I RETURN I WILL CONVERT IT TO A NORMAL HOME STYLE AND SIZE FORMULA.

I DO HAVE THIS CAKE MIX WITH ME IF YOU WOULD LIKE

Carbquik® Devil's Food Cake
Servings: 12

1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
2 cups Splenda
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
3/4 cup butter, softened
3 eggs, unbeaten
2 1/2 cups Carbquik®
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

In a bowl, combine cocoa and 1/2 cup Splenda™.
Add 1/2 cup of the buttermilk slowly and mix until smooth.
In another bowl, cream butter with remaining Splenda. Beat until light and fluffy.
Add eggs, 1 at a time, to butter & Splenda™. Beat well after each addition.
In another bowl, mix Carbquik® and salt together. Add to butter mixture alternately with remaining buttermilk, in about 3 parts. Beat after each addition until smooth. Add vanilla then cocoa mixture. If the batter seems a bit stiff, add cold water 1 tablespoon at a time till you have a typical cake batter.
Bake at 350 25 to 35 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.

Per Serving: 215 Calories; 16g Fat; 8g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; Net carbs 9g.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:24 PM   #370
The Low Carb Chef

Quote:
Originally posted by showgirl
DO YOU REALLY WANT TO EAT THIS?? WHAT IS EFF WHITES? JUST HOW SERIOUS CAN THIS BE?? I LOVE THE CAUTION, NOW HOW MUCH MORE CREDIBILITY COULD CARBQUIK HAVE, WE HAVE NO CAUTIONS OR WARNINGS. I PROMISE YOU EAT THIS AND IT IS GOING TO BE INTESTINAL WAR....
15G SUGAR ALCOHOL PER SERVING; WOW....
Chef Yellow Cake Mix Ingredients: Canola oil, Maltitol, sorbitol, almond flour, eff whites, soy fiber,whole egg, water, inulin, wheat gluten, wheat starch, leavening, (sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodiumbicarbonate, corn starch and monocalcium phosphate),salt, artifical flavor, xanthan gum.
*EFFECTIVE CARBOHYDRATE COUNT - Total Carbs:25g, Fiber:7g, Sugar Alcohol:15g, NET IMPACT CARBS: 3g
Caution: Excess Consumption may have a laxative effect.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:27 PM   #371
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: showgirl
Stats: 127/116/115 5'3"
WOE: diet free!
Start Date: 3/1/05
chefgreg- thank you so much for the devils food cake recipe! this is exactly what i was looking for. i am looking foward to the yellow cake recipe. WEEEEE!
Old 10-14-2004, 10:46 PM   #372
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lynnp
Stats: size 26/22/size 6
WOE: protein and vlc
Start Date: October 20, 2008
To Chefgreg and Tovarep

First, THANKS Chef Greg for the pasta recipe! I can't wait to try it. Do you have nutritional counts for the recipe? Also, thanks so much for the Devil's food cake recipe...it looks incredible! So, how about those cookbooks? I think we here would all be standing in line for the first printing of BOTH books on Carbquik!!!

Second, Tovarep, thanks for the response. I think you can tell from this thread that the DEMAND for carbalose flour would be huge! Does it work as a direct cup for cup AP flour substitute with close to the same properties? I would buy it in a heartbeat and I know 20 people I work with who would as well. That doesn't even count the people on this forum! I'm a Nurse Practitioner and I would recommend it to every diabetic I see!

Thanks for all you help and I'm looking forward to the new carbalose/Tova Industries products. Please let us know when they are available.

Carbquik and carbalose lifetime convert,
Lynn
Old 10-15-2004, 04:32 AM   #373
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ClikChik
Stats: 135/132/110
WOE: LC
Start Date: 9/2/2014
from a TN Southerner

Hey, how 'bout that cornbread recipe also?? *hehe* I love Sherrie's cornbread made with soy grits but some in my family like a more "cakey" cornbread. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-15-2004, 05:00 AM   #374
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: VAmomof2
Stats: 150/130/128-130
WOE: general lc and exercise
Start Date: Jan 2004
Tovarep -

I just wanted to add my 2 cents on the topic of demand for carbalose flour. Right now in my cabinets/freezer I have:

- almond flour
- WPI
- Veggie Protein
- Vital Wheat Gluten
- Atkins Bake Mix
- Vanilla Protein Powder
- CarbQuik
(I bet there is more if I looked deeper)

All of this is in an attempt to replicate flour. My entire recipe box is full of recipes that I would like to make for both my family and myself and not a single one calls for Bisquick. If you read through the 32 pages of this thread, we continually ask Chef Greg (poor man) to convert recipes calling for flour to CarbQuik. We have searched the internet and our Mothers recipe books for Bisquick recipes just so we don’t have to mess with converting. The LC cookbooks are packed with recipes for bread, cakes and cookies trying to approximate the taste and texture of flour.

You can tell I feel strongly about this - I think the demand would be huge!
Old 10-15-2004, 06:55 AM   #375
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mmorris
Stats: 268/128-Goal Weight Finally!! (-140 pounds gone)
WOE: Atkins All the WAY!!
Start Date: August 2002
Carb Quik Impossible Lasagna Pie

OMG!!! Two thumbs up Instead of using the groundbeef I used meatballs and instead of the tom paste I use my own Pasta Sauce....It is the best dish so far!!
Old 10-15-2004, 10:14 AM   #376
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chickiemom
And as long as we are requesting a whole wheat version would be great!!!
Old 10-15-2004, 10:37 AM   #377
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: HaleysNana
WOE: Sugar Free...one day at a time!
Start Date: 4/12/04
Vegetable Glycerin

What is it? I saw it in the recipe for the pumpkin nut cookies which I really want to make tonight. Is there a substitute for this or do I need to go by the health food store and get some?
Old 10-15-2004, 10:45 AM   #378
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Pami
WOE: LC JUDDD
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom
You can purchase Glycerine from Netrition.com:

Vegetable Glycerine
is derived entirely from vegetable oil and is 100% pure. It is hypoallergenic and safe for food and cosmetic purposes. Glycerine is often used in low "net carb" baked products and protein bars to retain moisture and sweetness. Although glycerine is a carbohydrate, it has a different metabolic effect on the body. Unlike typical carbohydrates, glycerine reportedly has minimal impact on blood sugar levels. You should still count the calories (4.3 calories per gram) you are consuming from this product, since even a low carbohydrate diet needs some calorie control.
The only things I can think of that might substitute for glycerin would be very high-carb (think corn syrup).
Old 10-15-2004, 10:59 AM   #379
Big Yapper!!!!

Gotcha! Thanks!
Old 10-15-2004, 11:58 AM   #380
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KeepsakeDolly
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Monday
OK. Thinking of giving Carbquick a chance.

What recipe should I try first? Which one "shows" off Carbquick the best??
Old 10-15-2004, 12:01 PM   #381
Big Yapper!!!!

Wow....good question. The brownies and biscuits have become a staple at my house, but I have 3 new recipes lined up to try this weekend.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:18 PM   #382
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: bab_indy
Stats: size 24/12/8-10 (?), 5'7", 48yo
WOE: Carb Cycling and Exercise including weight lifting
Start Date: Feb 2003
I really enjoyed the cream cheese coffee cake. Definitely making this again. I've not tried everything but I've enjoyed most of what I've tried.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:46 PM   #383

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Thanks..I love the cream cheese coffee cake, too...I love the flavor it gives the Carbquik...a real richness..

I just made an apple cake with Carbquik..subbing Carbquik for
the flour..I'll post it on the recipe thread.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:28 PM   #384
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: bab_indy
Stats: size 24/12/8-10 (?), 5'7", 48yo
WOE: Carb Cycling and Exercise including weight lifting
Start Date: Feb 2003
Carolyn - I saw the apple/walnut cake and it looks very yummy. I like your recipes a lot! Just wondering on something lower in carbs than apples. Any ideas?

Thanks again
Old 10-15-2004, 02:06 PM   #385

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Babs..You know..It does make about 9 good sized servings, so
if you used 2 apples..then that would be 1/4 of an apple a serving..which would be pretty low..like 5 carbs for the apple..
and if you use a tarter apple..like a Granny Smith..then there
would be less sugar in it. You might use the cayote squash as a substitute or some zucchini..but I'm on Lean for Life, so I can
eat apples..and if someone is higher up on the carb ladder, then
they can enjoy them too..
Old 10-15-2004, 03:07 PM   #386
Major LCF Poster!

Anyone that has tried the Impossible Apple Pie...when mixing up the mix with the Carbquik in it, did yours stay kinda lumpy or like the Carbquik did not mix into a smooth batter? When I poured mine over the apples, the juice ran down and these little pieces of Carbquik stayed over the top. I tried my best to smash them down and mix them in but not all would do so. I'm wondering if I should have mixed this with the food processor to get a smoother mix.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:08 PM   #387
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eko42
Stats: 184/170/125
WOE: hHCG
Start Date: July 9, 2013
lgpars,

I mixed the batter with my hand mixer and the result was smooth.
The pie is the best low carb recipe I have made so far. I highly recommend it.

Erin---
Old 10-15-2004, 04:22 PM   #388
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: dmk825
Stats: 265/211/175
WOE: WW Flex/LC
Re: Re: Questions for ChefGreg and TovaRep

Quote:
Originally posted by TovaRep
At this time, we have no plans to introduce Carbalose flour by itself, though it could happen. Put simply, we just haven't seen enough demand for it at this point.
I think you can see your demand, right here!
Old 10-15-2004, 04:24 PM   #389
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: LCRedhead
Stats: Total Lost 9.5
WOE: SS
Start Date: Aug. 22, 2008
Re: Re: Re: Questions for ChefGreg and TovaRep

Quote:
Originally posted by dmk825
I think you can see your demand, right here!
ditto
Old 10-15-2004, 07:49 PM   #390
Major LCF Poster!

Re: lgpars,

Quote:
Originally posted by eko42
I mixed the batter with my hand mixer and the result was smooth.
The pie is the best low carb recipe I have made so far. I highly recommend it.

Erin---
I wonder why mine would not get smooth like that. Weird! But I agree the pie was delicious!! I wanted to eat the whole thing at one sitting.