Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2004, 07:03 AM   #271
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Thanks, Chefgreg..

Let me tell you..the combination of cream cheese and Carbquik is
a real winner..I had a piece of the coffee cake I made this morning
and it is wonderful...(see recipe above)

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2004, 07:12 AM   #272
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cthiele
Stats: 235/155/155
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: February 2004
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chefgreg

Save those biscuits. Let them dry and use as bread crumbs. I have a stuffing recipe that I use these in that is to die for.

Could you share it?
Old 09-30-2004, 09:41 AM   #273
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chickiemom
Carolyn that coffee cake sounds delish

I did make the Monte Cristo with some almond flour. I used about 6 oz of CQ and 2 oz of almond flour. I could probably sub even more. It was good. This stuff is fun. Tamale pie is next
Old 09-30-2004, 01:02 PM   #274
The Low Carb Chef

Gallery: Chefgreg
Re: Chefgreg,

Quote:
Originally posted by eko42
Would you be so kind as to post the recipe for stuffing using Carbquick biscuits? I think with the holidays just around the corner many of us would be interested.

Erin---
How does that ole saying ? "ask and you shall recieve" How could refuse such a nice request.

Sausage and Oyster Stuffing
Serves 6-8

1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 cup chicken stock or canned broth
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup sliced mushroom
1/4 cup butter
8 day old Carbquik country style biscuits
1 pound sausage
2 large eggs
3 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup oysters, chopped

Preheat oven to 450 degrees
Sauté chopped celery, chopped onion, and sliced mushrooms in butter in a saucepan. Add the chicken stock, biscuits, sausage, eggs, sage, salt, pepper, and chopped oysters. Stir together well. Spoon into a greased baking dish. Bake, covered, for 1 hour.
Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes longer, or until brown and crisp around the edge.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:14 PM   #275
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: HaleysNana
WOE: Sugar Free...one day at a time!
Start Date: 4/12/04
Croissant???

One of my favorite dishes before LC was a chicken/broccoli dish made on a baking stone using the canned croissants. Is anyone familiar with this....its from a Pampered Chef party.

I'm trying to figure out how I could use the Carbquik to make this type of dough. Any ideas?
Old 09-30-2004, 04:49 PM   #276
The Low Carb Chef

Re: Croissant???

Quote:
Originally posted by HaleysNana
One of my favorite dishes before LC was a chicken/broccoli dish made on a baking stone using the canned croissants. Is anyone familiar with this....its from a Pampered Chef party.

I'm trying to figure out how I could use the Carbquik to make this type of dough. Any ideas?
Ok now I am going to present a challange to everyone that is up for it. I have a professional version of this request. I have come to the conclusion there are some very bright folks that use this service. I am posting the full professional version. Now your task is............... BREAK IT DOWN TO YOUR OWN SIZE AND QUANITY..

Now you ask, why is that crazy Chef doing this to us?, I am sure someone will also answer that question. It is time for the fun to begin, here you go:

CROISSANT DOUGH
MILK - cold 48 oz.
YEAST 7 oz.
CARBQUIK 5#
SALT 2.25 oz.
SUGAR 6 oz.
BUTTER - softened 8 oz.
BUTTER 3#
CARBQUIK 3 oz.
Yields: 120 Croissants weighing 1.75 oz. each.
METHOD:
1. DOUG: Mix the first 6 ingredients together - "Straight Dough Mixing Method". Mix on low speed for “5 minutes" until a smooth loose dough is formed - do not overwork the dough! Allow to rise for 30 minutes. Then pin-out the dough out into the size of a sheet-pan. Then place the dough onto a parchment lined and lightly Carbquiked sheet-pan, and ****** for 30 minutes.
2. BUTTER BLOCK (beurrage): Combine the remaining butter and Carbquik, and knead until pliable and lump free. Spread evenly over 2/3 of a parchment lined sheet-pan. Place in the refrigerate for 10 minutes.
3. When the butter and dough have reached the same consistency, place the dough on your work table, brush-off any excess Carbquik, and cover 1/2 of the dough evenly with the butter.
4. Fold the other half of the dough over to cover the butter, seal the edges well. You have completed the LOCK-IN. Turn 90 degrees.
5. Roll out to 3x the width of a sheet-pan, and as long. Complete the 1 3-FOLD. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
6. Complete the 2 3-FOLD, refrigerate 30 minutes, and the final 3 3-FOLD (total of 81 layers). Wrap tightly and refrigerate. Use the 2nd day.
GUIDELINES:
1. Pan 20 croissants per sheet pan. Reverse the last row of croissants to prevent the tips from over-browning!
2. French egg wash (equal parts yolks and cream) - before and after proofing.
3. Proof until doubled in size. When the sheet-pan is shaken, the croissants should jiggle.
4. Bake @ 425 F.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:35 AM   #277
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: mmorris
Stats: 268/128-Goal Weight Finally!! (-140 pounds gone)
WOE: Atkins All the WAY!!
Start Date: August 2002
I tried the Impossible Cheesecake today.... Since I never made it before I was wondering if I could ask a question... Was there suppose to be a crust? It kinda was just like a thin brown peice of paper... It was Delicious anyway.... and worth making...
Old 10-01-2004, 11:37 AM   #278
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susies1955
Quote:
Originally posted by mmorris
I tried the Impossible Cheesecake today.... .......It kinda was just like a thin brown peice of paper........
[COLOR=darkblue]That is how mine was too but OH SO GOOD.
I plan to make this MANY times.
Susie[/COLOR]
Old 10-01-2004, 02:06 PM   #279
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chickiemom
Yeah the Impossible pie is kind of thin and mine had no crust. I made the recipe for 1 1/2 times which helped. Probably wouldn't make again as there are too many other recipes I like better
I think I'll try the apple pie next that sounds good

Last night I made a variation of the beef enchilada pie. I made the topping that was posted a few pages back. The filling was devised using up some last of the season garden stuff. No real measurements
Filling
onion, garlic, summer squash, spices and assortment of peppers sauted with 1 lb ground beef. Spices were cumin and Mexican oregano. I pureed about 1 1/2 cups of cherry tomatoes with more garlic, hot peppers and cilantro to make a fresh salsa. Cook that with the beef and veggies till most the juice is evaporated. Pour the meat mix into a 9x13 and top with pepper jack cheese. Cover with the enchilada topping and bake till golden about 20 to 30 minutes. DELISH
Old 10-01-2004, 05:08 PM   #280
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: 5cats4me
Stats: 185/134/130
WOE: Atkins without counting
Start Date: Jan 04
Chefgreg- Thank you SOOOOO much for all the time you have put into answering all of our questions. You're quite the celebrity around here!! I am looking forward to your cookbook as well. I am very excited to try many of the recipes that have been posted! My question is... is there a way to make Carbquick taste like yellow cake mix? I am trying to lowcarb this recipe:

Pumpkin Dump Cake

1 large can pumpkin
1 can evaporated milk (Hood's milk or cream/water)
3 eggs
1 tsp. Cinnamon
½ tsp. Ginger
1 ½ cups sugar (Splenda)
2 pkgs. Dunkin Heines Yellow cake mix (?????????)
2 sticks of butter
(3 more eggs plus 1/3 cup of oil for cake mix)

Mix together first 6 ingredients. Pour into greased 9 x 13 pan. Sprinkle 1 box of cake mix over top of pumpkin mixture. Drizzle melted butter over cake mix. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Take out of oven and with a large spoon turn batter over in 5 or 6 different places. Prepare 2nd box of cake mix according to box. Pour ½-¾ of batter on top of cake and bake for an additional 30 min or until golden.

Is this possible? Pami made a cobbler with Carbquik, do you think this would work or do you know of any other additions that would make it more like cake mix?

PS I hope you didn't suffer any damage during the hurricane frenzy. I'm north of Tampa and had only minimal damage. Enough is enough already!!!
Old 10-01-2004, 05:25 PM   #281
The Low Carb Chef

Hi Scats, tell you what; two things actually, first yes the tatse you are associating with yellow cake in this recipe will indeed have that same flavor. Second I need to re-work this recipe for you, there are a couple of ingredients I need to look at a little deeper and re-post this for you with the carb count etc.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:33 AM   #282
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

CarolynF, I just used Carbquick for the very first time on your yummy pancakes and they were the best pancakes I've had in a year! I was so happy that the taste and texture wasn't weird. Thanks for the recipe!
Old 10-02-2004, 10:55 AM   #283
The Low Carb Chef

Quote:
Originally posted by 5cats4me
[B]Chefgreg- Thank you SOOOOO much for all the time you have put into answering all of our questions. You're quite the celebrity around here!! I am looking forward to your cookbook as well. I am very excited to try many of the recipes that have been posted! My question is... is there a way to make Carbquick taste like yellow cake mix? I am trying to lowcarb this recipe:
OK, Here you go, now go ahead and follow those same directions, and this should work for you it did for me. You may need to adjust the batter a bit as I did so it was more identical to a cake batter with a little water.

Pumpkin Dump Cake
Servings: 12

1 can pumpkin
1 can evaporated milk (do not substitue)
3 eggs
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1-1/2 cup Splenda
3 cups Carbquik
2 sticks butter
3 eggs
1/3 cup oil

Per Serving 343 Calories; 29g Fat; 10g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 12g Dietary Fiber; net carbs 7g

Mix together first 6 ingredients. Pour into greased 9 x 13 pan. Sprinkle 1 box of cake mix over top of pumpkin mixture. Drizzle melted butter over cake mix. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Take out of oven and with a large spoon turn batter over in 5 or 6 different places. Prepare 2nd box of cake mix according to box. Pour ½-¾ of batter on top of cake and bake for an additional 30 min or until golden.

Is this possible? Pami made a cobbler with Carbquik, do you think this would work or do you know of any other additions that would make it more like cake mix?
Old 10-02-2004, 12:11 PM   #284
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Thank you Chefgreg! I think I love you! Did you make this whole recipe? How did it taste? Also, I'm not sure of the carb count since I don't know how many carbs are in evaporated milk. Thank you so much for tweaking this for me! I'll try it this weekend and let you know how it comes out. Did you say I may need to add a little water to the batter? How will I know if I need to do this and how much to add? Am I trying to get the consistency of cake batter? I don't want to ruin it. I can't wait! Thanks again!
Old 10-02-2004, 12:22 PM   #285
The Low Carb Chef

I posted the carb count. NET 7g based on 12 servings,

Yes I did make the recipe, and it tasted like it sounds a pumpkin cake, actually it reminded me of a typical pumpkin quick bread.

Yes you are wanting a consistency of a typical box cake mix.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:19 PM   #286
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lgpars
Stats: 222/208/130
WOE: AtkinsO
Start Date: Oct. 2011
Chefgreg, on that Pumpkin Dump Cake, can you write out the directions on how to make it since this is not being made with box cake mixes? It's not clear how to do it to me. Thanks. And thanks for ALL your help doing these Carbquik recipes!!!
Old 10-02-2004, 05:24 PM   #287
The Low Carb Chef

Quote:
Originally posted by lgpars
Chefgreg, on that Pumpkin Dump Cake, can you write out the directions on how to make it since this is not being made with box cake mixes? It's not clear how to do it to me. Thanks. And thanks for ALL your help doing these Carbquik recipes!!!
I used the directions that were posted in the first request for assistance, let me copy it for you.

Old 10-02-2004, 08:56 PM   #288
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Pumpkin Dump Cake

1 can pumpkin
1 can evaporated milk (do not substitue)
3 eggs
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 cup Splenda
3 cups Carbquik
2 sticks butter
3 eggs
1/3 cup oil

This recipe needs some tweaking still. I made it tonight and it was way too sweet. This is what I did...
I mixed the first 6 ingredients, poured it in the 9 X 13 pan, sprinkled 1 cup of Carbquik over the top and drizzled 1 stick of melted butter over the top. I baked it for 45 minutes, but it only needed 30 I think. Next time I make this I will use only 3/4 cup of splenda instead of 1 1/2 cups and I will dilute the evaporated milk to lessen the carbs. When it was done baking, I wasn't sure how to proceed, so I just made a mix of 1 cup carbquik, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup splenda, 1 cup carb countdown, and 1/3 cup oil to try and duplicate cake mix. It didn't work. I'd rather just eat it after the first baking and skip the 2nd part all together. My variation also added alot of carbs to the recipe. I'll let you know if I find the right combo of ingredients to make this yummy AND lowcarb!
Old 10-02-2004, 10:24 PM   #289
Major LCF Poster!

Chefgreg, on the Pumpkin Dump Cake, you can't really go by the first recipe because they used cake mixes. So how did you split up the Carbquik and how exactly did you mix it up the first time and then what did you add after 45 Min.? I'd sure like to try this.

I did try the roll out biscuit tonight. I just made 1/2 of the recipe and it made three biscuits. They weren't bad, but, of course, not like the old White Lilly ones I used to make. They were not "fluffy" at all. Sort of a dense inside but they were pretty good with butter on them. I imagine they would really be good with gravy on them. I can still taste that they are low-carb though even though they are quite good for low-carb. Hehe

One other question, Chefgreg...does your biscuit dough stay together once you mix the ingredients together gently? Mine was more large crumbs until I took my hands and patted it together to knead it. Does this sound right?

For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. (2 Chr 16:9 KJV)
Old 10-03-2004, 09:04 AM   #290
The Low Carb Chef

Oh how I do love a challenge. TOSS away the other Dump Cake recipes. I played with this last night till late. Now this version came out really nice. I have to be honest, I had to read about a dump cake to get a feel for this, not a style cake I have ever seen in my career. But I think this is what it is suppose to be.

Carbquik Pumpkin Dump Cake

1 can pumpkin puree
3 eggs
3/4 cup Splenda
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 can evaporated milk (1 1/2 c.)
2 cups Carbquik
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1/4 cup granola, optional
1/4 cups Brown sugar twin
1 1/2 sticks butter, melted

Combine the pumpkin, evaporated milk, eggs, spice and mix well. Pour the batter into greased 9 x 13 inch pan. Combine Carbquik, oats, brown sugar twin and granola. Cover the pumpkin mixture with Carbquik mix. Melt the butter and pour over dry mix. Be certain to lightly cover all of the mix if even just a light sprinkle. Bake 1 hour at 350ºF or until top is golden brown.. Serve plain or topped with whipped cream.

Per Serving 234 Calories; 17g Fat; 8g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber; net carbs 8g.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:10 AM   #291
The Low Carb Chef

Quote:
Originally posted by lgpars
Chefgreg, on the Pumpkin Dump Cake, you can't really go by the first recipe because they used cake mixes. So how did you split up the Carbquik and how exactly did you mix it up the first time and then what did you add after 45 Min.? I'd sure like to try this.

I did try the roll out biscuit tonight. I just made 1/2 of the recipe and it made three biscuits. They weren't bad, but, of course, not like the old White Lilly ones I used to make. They were not "fluffy" at all. Sort of a dense inside but they were pretty good with butter on them. I imagine they would really be good with gravy on them. I can still taste that they are low-carb though even though they are quite good for low-carb. Hehe

One other question, Chefgreg...does your biscuit dough stay together once you mix the ingredients together gently? Mine was more large crumbs until I took my hands and patted it together to knead it. Does this sound right?

Biscuit huh???? I have found the more you knead Carbquik biscuit dough, the denser and firmer the finsihed product. I generally just yes bring it together, pat it into a 3/4 inch thick square, and cut my biscuits and bake. The less you handle these the lighter the finish product. Now another trick I have done lately many times. Make the dough, divide it into 3 or 4 equal size pieces. Roll each to about a 1/4 and after rolling each out, stack each piece on top using a littel sprinkle of water between layers. Cut biscuits and bake as usual, these really puff up and are layered flakey.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:08 AM   #292
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: LCRedhead
Stats: Total Lost 9.5
WOE: SS
Start Date: Aug. 22, 2008
Chefgreg helped me convert my fav quickbread. Carbquik Cinnamon Swirl Loaf

The Cinnamon Swirl
1/3 cup Splenda
1/8 cup Brown sugar twin
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
The Batter
1 1/2 cups Carbquik
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick) softened
3/4 cup Splenda
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
To make the cinnamon swirl combine the Splenda and cinnamon in a small cup and set aside.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan and set aside.
2. To make the cinnamon swirl combine the Splenda and cinnamon in a small cup and set aside.
3. To make the batter mix together the Carbquik, baking powder, baking soda, and salt onto a sheet of waxed paper and set aside. (You can use a small bowl for this instead)
4. In a large bowl cream the butter until light with an electric mixer on high speed. Gradually add the Splenda and continue beating until the mixture is very light and fluffy. Change the mixer speed to medium. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in the vanilla.
5. Change the mixer speed to low. Alternately beat in the mixed dry ingredients and the sour cream, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients and beating only until combined.
6. Spoon half of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle half of the cinnamon mixture over the top. Repeat with the remaining batter and cinnamon mixture. Drizzle the melted butter over the top. To make the swirl, cut through the batter with a knife several times.
7. Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let the loaf stand in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Loosen from the sides of the pan, then carefully invert onto the rack and turn right-side-up. Cool completely before serving.

Per Serving : 190 Calories; 17g Fat ; 5g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; net carbs 5g.
Old 10-03-2004, 03:43 PM   #293
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Success! Chefgreg and I have been playing around with the Dump Cake recipe for a couple of days and I took his suggestions and modified them a little more to make this Pumpkin Crisp. I'm not sure how you came up with your carb count Greg, with granola, oats and evaporated milk, it seems that it would be higher. I'd like to see your count breakdown for the recipe if it's not too much trouble. Anyway, here's what I came up with:

1 lg. can of pumpkin -28 (****** says more, but I'm going by my can of Libby's pumkin puree)
3 eggs- 2
3/4 cup Splenda- 18
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
1 1/2 cup Carb Countdown milk- 4.5

2 cups Carbquik- 24
1 cup chopped pecans- 4
1/2 cup almond flour - 6 (Bob's Red Mill)
1/4 cup brown sugar twin- 0

1 1/2 sticks melted salted butter -0

Mix the first 7 ingredients and pour into a sprayed 9 X 13 pan. Mix the next 4 ingredients and sprinkle all over the pumpkin mixture. Drizzle the melted butter all over the Carbquik mixture and bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.

Servings: 10
Net Carbs total: 86.5
Net Carbs per Serving: 8.65

This is very tasty! It doesn't taste lowcarb and my family loved it.

Old 10-03-2004, 04:02 PM   #294
The Low Carb Chef

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 5cats4me
[B]Success! Chefgreg and I have been playing around with the Dump Cake recipe for a couple of days and I took his suggestions and modified them a little more to make this Pumpkin Crisp. I'm not sure how you came up with your carb count Greg, with granola, oats and evaporated milk, it seems that it would be higher. I'd like to see your count breakdown for the recipe if it's not too much trouble. Anyway, here's what I came up with:

1 lg. can of pumpkin -28 (****** says more, but I'm going by my can of Libby's pumkin puree)
3 eggs- 2
3/4 cup Splenda- 18
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
1 1/2 cup Carb Countdown milk- 4.5

2 cups Carbquik- 24
1 cup chopped pecans- 4
1/2 cup almond flour - 6 (Bob's Red Mill)
1/4 cup brown sugar twin- 0

1 1/2 sticks melted salted butter -0

Mix the first 7 ingredients and pour into a sprayed 9 X 13 pan. Mix the next 4 ingredients and sprinkle all over the pumpkin mixture. Drizzle the melted butter all over the Carbquik mixture and bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.

Servings: 10
Net Carbs total: 86.5
Net Carbs per Serving: 8.65

Remeber I did this on a calculation of 12 servings

Carbquik Pumpkin Dump Cake
Calories (kcal): 234
% Calories from Fat: 59.3%
% Calories from Carbohydrates: 29.3%
% Calories from Protein: 11.5%
Per Serving Nutritional Information
Total Fat (g): 17g 27%
Saturated Fat (g): 9g 43%
Monounsaturated Fat (g): 4g 20%
Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 1g 5%
Cholesterol (mg): 68mg 23%
Total Carbohydrate (g): 17g 6%
Dietary Fiber (g): 9g 37%
Protein (g): 8g 15%
Sodium (mg): 280mg 12%
Potassium (mg): 145mg 4%g
Calcium (mg): 73mg 7%
Iron (mg): 1mg 4%
Zinc (mg): trace 3%
Vitamin C (mg): 1mg 2%
Vitamin A (i.u.): 5072IU 101%
Vitamin A (r.e.): 587 1/2RE 59%
Vitamin B6 (mg): trace 2%
Vitamin B12 (mcg): .1mcg 2%
Thiamin B1 (mg): .1mg 4%
Riboflavin B2 (mg): .1mg 8%
Folacin (mcg): 11mcg 3%
Niacin (mg): trace 1%
Caffeine (mg): 0mg N/A
Alcohol (kcal): 0 N/A
% Refuse:
Food Exchanges
Grain (Starch): 1/2
Lean Meat: 0
Vegetable: 1/2
Fruit: 0
Non-Fat Milk: 0
Fat: 3
Other Carbohydrates: 0
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:33 PM   #295
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Chefgreg- How could your calculations from the recipe with oats, evaporated milk, and granola be so close to mine when I've sustituted those ingredients with much lower carb ingredients? When I calculated mine for 12 servings, I got 7.2 per serving. But, after seeing that the pan made closer to 10 good size servings, I adjusted it. When I asked for your breakdown, I meant what you enter for each ingredient. I appreciate your list but without knowing how you came up with it, it doesn't help me. I have quick oats and the label says 23 (27 -fiber) carbs per 1/2 cup. Evaporated milk is 36 carbs per can if I remember correctly. And the granola can be high as well. Did you use a small can of pumpkin? When I add up your recipe, I get 11 net carbs per serving (using 12 servings). I'm trying to figure this out. Do you understand why I'm confused? How do you come up with your counts?

Pam
Old 10-03-2004, 06:38 PM   #296
The Low Carb Chef

I USE A SOFTWARE PROGRAM THAT IS UPDATED DAILY FROM THE USDA DATA BASE OF NUTRITION. I DO NOT MANUALLY ENTER THE INFORMATION. EACH TIME I LAUNCH IT IT IS UPDATED THROUGH THE DATA BASE. I DO ON OCCASSION SPOT CHECK THE VALUES. HOWEVER I TRUST THE PROGRAM 99% OF THE TIME AS BEING ACCURATE. I HAVE FOUND A FEW ERRORS OVER THE YEARS WHEN I DID NOT INDICATE THE CORRECT ITEM IN A RECIPE, A GOOD EXAMPLE WAS SPLENDA. I HAD TO SPECIFY THE RETAIL VERSION AS WHEN I DOWN LOADED THE DATA I FAILED TO SAY WHICH I WAS USING. YOU SEE I DO NOT COME UP WITH THE NUMBERS, I LET THE USDA DATA BASE COME UP WITH THE NUMBERS.

YES THE CAN OF PUMPKIN WAS A SMALL CAN 15 OUNCES, AND THE GRANOLA USED WAS LOW CARB SUCCESS GRANOLA.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:42 PM   #297
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pita
Stats: Lost 40 lbs
WOE: LC
Chefgreg,
Do you know why the label on the front of the CQ box says "makes 30 biscuits" and the nutritional label says "serving size (1 biscuit) is 20 gms dry mix. According to my math (using that info) there should be 600 gms of mix in the box, yet the box says it has 454 gms. That's 146 gms short (a little over 5 ozs)Any ideas???
Old 10-03-2004, 10:14 PM   #298
Major LCF Poster!

While shopping at BJ's the other evening, I picked up a Betty Crocker Bisquick II Cookbook and thought I would try some of the recipes with the Carbquik. So I tried this one first and it was very, very good and very easy to make. Did not taste low-carb at all.

Chocolate-Cherry Crisp

Prep: 10 Min.
Bake: 35 Min.

9 or 10 Servings

1 can (21 oz.) SF cherry pie filling (Splenda sweetened Lucky Leaf Brand)
1/2 cup Carbquik mix
1/2 cup Maltitol brown
1/2 cup whole oats
1/4 cup firm butter
1/2 cup SF chocolate chips or SF chocolate bars

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spread pie filling in ungreased square pan, 8 x 8 x 2 inches.

2. Stir together Carbquik mix, Maltitol brown, and oats in medium bowl. Cut in butter, using pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives, until crumbly. Stir in chocolate chips. Spoon evenly over pie filling.

3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until very bubbly around edges and light brown. Serve warm.

I just poured heavy cream over mine but you could use LC ice cream too. This was really yummy!

I would imagine you could also use the Lucky Leaf SF apple pie filling in this too and maybe leave out the chocolate chips and add nuts. I think I would add just a bit more sweetner though if you use the apples as they do not seem to be as sweet as the cherry filling.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:17 PM   #299
Major LCF Poster!

Now I am really confused, Chefgreg. I could have sworn I read somewhere in here that you needed to knead the biscuit dough a lot before cutting out. Well, next time I will not knead it. I will just pat it out and cut it. :-)
Old 10-04-2004, 02:59 AM   #300
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: susies1955
Quote:
Originally posted by LCRedhead
.... I have to get the brown sugar sub. ......
[COLOR=darkblue]I tried brown sugar twin and yuck. Here is a recipe for your OWN using Splenda.
Susie

Brown Sugar Substitute

1 cup Splenda
1 Tablespoon molasses

Mix Splenda with molasses, stirring with a fork until well mixed and then further mixing with fingertips until it is of a brown sugar consistency.
Measure and use as you would brown sugar.
1 cup has 40 carbs.

Scott123 sent a post that said:

a tablespoon of molasses could be in the right ballpark, although I'd lean more towards 2 teaspoons. And that's regular molasses, mind you, which has about 1/2 the flavor of blackstrap. I am almost certain that 1 teaspoon of blackstrap molasses will create brown sugar with 1 cup of splenda. It's very potent stuff. At 11g. carbs per tablespoon, that's less than 4g for the teaspoon addition.

Regular molasses, besides having less flavor, has 14g per tablespoon.

[/COLOR]