Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2004, 09:43 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mamax6
Stats: 192/
WOE: LC no gluten
Start Date: Jan. 02, re-restart: April, '13
Almond Thins

I tried these and they are awsome. It so nice to have something to dip with (I tried the Cheez-its recipe and didn't like it - just like warmed up American cheese)

I tried this recipe and it was AWESOME! IT was SOOO easy so I made a double batch the 2nd time.

Great to use for "dippy things"

This was originally posted by MiRedKitty on the "Awesome Appetizers" sticky.

Almond Thins

1 cup almond flour
1 packet of Splenda
1 egg white
pinch of salt, garlic powder, & onion powder

Preheat oven 325. Mix ingredients well. Place mixture onto a well greased piece of tin foil. Spray a piece of wax paper with cooking spray and lay over top of mixture. Use a rolling pin to roll out to a cracker thickness. Gently remove wax paper. Sprinkle more salt on top if desired and press lightly into dough. Score with knife or pizza cutter into squares. Lay tin foil on rack in oven. Bake until golden brown about 10 minutes. Makes around 50 crackers.

Carb count is about 13 for the whole batch. You can also vary the flavor-use ranch powder, ground bacon bits, season salt...

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2004, 07:45 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pam in FL
Stats: 180/170/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2004
Did you use the deluxe cheese? You need to try it with deluxe cheese if you didn't and cook them until they have browned a bit. Then they don't taste like warm american cheese! I took a baggie of these to the movies yesterday when I took my kids to see Shrek 2 and it was the perfect crunchy snack to replace the popcorn!
Old 05-29-2004, 08:20 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Actually, I tried fooling with the Cheese-its yesterday (since i have this big package, I got to do something with them ). Yes, I have American Cheese - sliced but NOT individually packaged. I liked them a little better cooked in the oven rather than the microwave. They had more crunch and browned up nicely. I still like the Almond Thin better although they take a little more time than the cheese-its.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:01 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Irishnonee
i agree. the almond thins are awesome.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:32 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1BellaDonna
Stats: Highest =202 (post-pregnancy 1 of 2)/142.6, 5'8"
WOE: LC, hcg, JUDDD
OMG!!

why-oh-why have i waited a year and a half into my atkins woe to make these babies!??! my goodness they are good!!! i could almost cry...now i can enjoy my pate! i can't believe i was a skeptic all this time...sigh. one day i'll learn.

thanks to whoever developed this recipe!!!!

-letty
Old 05-31-2004, 05:58 AM   #6
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: bernie
I also love the almond thins. I like to put sesames seeds and ground flax seed in them with the ground almonds for a different taste.

Bernie
Old 05-31-2004, 06:43 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

I am tooling with these again this morning in preparation for this afternoons cookout. Here is some stuff I've learned

I like them salty - to me it makes them taste more like a cross between Wheat Thins and Wheatable crackers.

I made a triple batch and this is what I did:

Instead of the Pinch of salt, I added 1tsp. garlic powder, 1.5 tsp of onion salt. After rolling them out I sprinkled more onion salt on top. I cooked them for 10 min, took off any of the browned edges and put them in the container. Then I put the rest back in for another 5 min. and kept watching every 3-5 min until the middle parts were nicely browned too. That way all the thins came out crunchy and not just the edges.

Oh, I like the ground sesame seed idea. I was also thinking that if you like them spicy that red pepper flakes would heat things up a bit.

Edited to add: BellaDonna - I was just got home from Italy a little more than a week ago. Great place, but hard on this WOE. You're very fortunate to live in such a beautiful country.

Last edited by mamax6; 05-31-2004 at 06:48 AM..
Old 05-31-2004, 07:00 AM   #8
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: bernie
Mamax6: I just wanted to say that I don't ground the sesame seed just leave them whole. Also I like my sprinkle with salt after I roll them out.

I love these with cream cheese spread on them.

Bernie
Old 05-31-2004, 07:22 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jdennysgirl
WOW, I am in heaven! These are great and so easy. I was wondering how you came up with 13 carbs for the whole batch. The almond flour I used says 4 grams total carbs with 3 grams fiber and 1 gram sugar per 1/4 cup. That would make it 4 grams useable carbs for the flour, 1 gram for the packet of Splenda, 1 gram for the egg while and around 1 gram for the bit of seasonings. That makes the whole batch about 7 or 8 grams of useable carbs per batch. Let me know what you think. Also, I am trying to see how they freeze. Just did a few. Do you think they will turn out soggy by freezing them? Thanks, for this great recipe.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:20 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
I might try making some today. Here are the figures from MasterCook:

Per batch: 677 Calories; 57g Fat; 27g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 13g Dietary Fiber; 11g Net Carbs

Per 4 crackers: 56 Calories; 5g Fat; 2g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 1g Net Carbs
Old 05-31-2004, 09:43 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Jdennysgirl - i didn't figure out the carb count. That was all cut and paste from the original poster on the "Awesome Appetizers" thread. I think they would freeze just fine. I also think they will keep in an airtight container for a while too, but mine never last that long

Thanks LindaSue for plugging the info for us although I like Jdenny's carb count better
Old 05-31-2004, 12:33 PM   #12

I just finished making a batch and below are the results. The final carb count was a bit lower than I originally thought. I weighed out the 1 cup almond flour and it was only 3 ounces instead of 4.

ALMOND THINS
3 ounces almond flour (1 cup)
2 teaspoons granular Splenda
1 egg white
1/4 teaspoon salt *
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon onion powder

Mix all ingredients well in a small bowl. Everything should be moist and the dough should hold together somewhat. Put the dough on a well-greased sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil, about 15x18". It's helpful to crumble the dough mixture and spread the crumbs in a roughly rectangular shape on the foil. Cover the dough with a piece of wax paper that's been sprayed with non-stick spray. Roll out the dough to about 1/8" thick or slightly thinner. Try to get the dough to an even thickness. You can also carefully peel up the wax paper and reshape the dough to get it as close to rectangular as possible. Replace the wax paper and continue rolling until nice and even. Peel off the wax paper and use a pizza or ravioli cutter to score the dough into approximately 1-inch squares. I cut 8 strips one direction and 6 strips the other way after running the cutter down all four sides to even out the rectangle.

Lift the foil and set it on the oven rack and bake them at 325┬║ for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Check after 10 minutes and if crackers at outer edge are getting pretty brown, remove those and continue baking the rest until golden. I used a thin metal spatula to very gently pry the crackers from the foil. Break them apart on the score lines and let cool.

Makes about 48 crackers

Per batch: 515 Calories; 43g Fat; 22g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 10g Dietary Fiber; 9g Net Carbs
Per 8 crackers: 86 Calories; 7g Fat; 4g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 1g Net Carbs

* I used 1/2 teaspoon salt originally and thought they were a little too salty, but my husband didn't think so.

These little snacks are very much like real crackers. You'd never know they were made of ground almonds. They are sturdy enough for dipping too. I may try to come up with a sweet cinnamon version sometime.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:39 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mcquea01
Stats: 124.5/116/105 (5'0")
WOE: zone-SB-combo thang
Start Date: December 2003
Just made these (and no, they didn't come out nearly as nice looking as Linda Sue's--surprise surprise!). I think I over-greased the pan. Do you guys think I could do this on parchment paper and leave out any extra greasing step? Might make the crackers a little less oily.

I mixed some oregano and tarragon (dried) and sprinkled with sesame seeds... pretty good flavor!
Old 05-31-2004, 12:45 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mcquea01
Stats: 124.5/116/105 (5'0")
WOE: zone-SB-combo thang
Start Date: December 2003
Just made these (and no, they didn't come out nearly as nice looking as Linda Sue's--surprise surprise!). I think I over-greased the pan. Do you guys think I could do this on parchment paper and leave out any extra greasing step? Might make the crackers a little less oily.

I mixed some oregano and tarragon (dried) and sprinkled with sesame seeds... pretty good flavor!
Old 05-31-2004, 02:16 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Meritt
WOE: Modified
Start Date: June 1, 2002
OK... how many people ran out and made these today? LOL.... *raising my hand*

Can you stand one more rave review?

I didn't not have high hopes... they seemed too easy - but I really miss my cheese and cracker lunch so I tried it, and of course played with the recipe a bit.

In mine I used;

1 c finely ground almonds
1 egg white
1 t garlic salt
1/2 t ranch dressing dry mix

I LOVED these.
I had them with some jalapeno cheese for lunch. OMGosh they were awesome. Can't wait to make more but I have no almonds or almond flour on hand right now. LOL.

PS:
Instead of waxed paper, I always use plastic wrap for everything I 'roll' out with my rolling pin so I used plastic wrap on top and sprayed foil on the bottom. Because I used ground almonds instead of 'flour' my crackers turned out looking EXACTLY like wheat thins. Love this recipe! Can't wait to play with it a bit more.

Last edited by Meritt; 05-31-2004 at 02:20 PM..
Old 05-31-2004, 02:53 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bizzimom
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 01/01/08
okay, i'm waving my hand too... this is , i used parchment paper on the bottom, and rolled with waxed paper on top, then peeled it off... plus, i baked it on a cookie sheet... i probably got mine a bit thin, as i got over 60 crackers (about 1"x1"), but they're great!!! i'll be making them again, a definite keeper...
Old 05-31-2004, 03:26 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sheryl5
They are really good with homemade vanilla ice cream. They kind of reminded me of an ice cream cone.

I have also made them with hazelnut flour. It's been a while, but I think I left out the sweetner. They made a really good, crispy savory cracker.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:32 PM   #18

Sheryl5, I hope you left out the garlic powder and onion powder when you had them with ice cream, LOL.
Old 05-31-2004, 05:30 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: NorthernNisse
Stats: 234/180/180 5'7.5"
WOE: Atkins '72
I would just love to make these this evening, but sadly I do not have an egg in the house. I have made the Sunflower crackers and they had a nice crunch, but I am not a huge fan of sunflower seed flavor. I think I might like these a lot better.

For the people who have made these, did you grind your own almonds, or use almond flour already ground? I usually grind my own, but can't always get it as fine.

Somehow, I feel I need to purchase a ravioli cutter.
Old 05-31-2004, 05:57 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Lindasue, LOL! I haven't made themin a while, and I don't remember my recipe having the savory seasonings now that you mention it. The crackers were a little sweet. My dad always had saltines with his homemade vanilla ice cream. (Of course, he ate ketchup on crackers, too. His motto was "Don't knock it 'til you've tried it." He might be a candidate to try that cicada pie recipe.) I guess that's where I got the idea to try the combo.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:23 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Josie... I didn't have almond "flour" but I had almonds. I ground mine in the food processor right before I made them.

That is why mine came out looking exactly like Wheat Thins. I think if I use almond flour they will look like Linda Sues (but truthfully I like them looking and tasting like Wheat Thins!) My dh tried them tonight and loved them even though he's not being strict on lc right now. Huge thumbs up.

Sheryl... I think I may give some vanilla/hazelnut flavor to some and leave out the spices to give me a fake "graham cracker" sometime as well.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:33 PM   #22

I think the zig-zag from the ravioli cutter gives them a nice look although they'll taste just as good with straight edges. I don't have a pizza cutter, but the ravioli cutter also has a straight cutting wheel on the other side.

I think I'll try some different flavorings tomorrow. I'll do some sweet and some savory. I still can't believe that these are only almond flour, egg white, Splenda and seasonings.

Josie, I used already ground almond flour. When I visited LisaUK, she gave me a huge bag to take back with me. She'd ordered some low carb products and they had some overstock of almond flour that was nearing its expiration and they sent her about 3 bags for free! It was taking up too much room in her freezer so she gave me a bag. Thanks, Lisa. It's sure coming in handy with all these experiments.

Here's a photo of a ravioli cutter like mine:

You can also buy them with just the zig-zag wheel like this:

Old 05-31-2004, 06:44 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks you two. I do prefer to grind my own...I like to keep my ingredients as simple to purchase as possible, but am willing to try both ways to see the difference. I know I can get a small bag of almond flour at the local grocery....much cheaper to grind my own though. I can get it ground pretty fine in the spice grinder...more so than in my food processer. I will keep you posted on this one. Up until now, I have never purchased almond flour.

I would LOVE to see a graham cracker version of this. Ohhh, I miss graham crackers so much! I think this could be doable. I used to love the plain, cinnamon and the chocolate. I forgot how much I used to eat these until now.

Now we have:

Almond Thins
Cheese-it's
and maybe Graham crackers?

No Linda....straight cuts will not be acceptable after seeing your photo....I must puchase the zig-zag wheel. Blue plates....pudding dishes...and now a zig zag wheel!

Last edited by NorthernNisse; 05-31-2004 at 06:49 PM..
Old 06-01-2004, 03:46 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

I'm glad everyone is enjoying these. I made my triple batch yesterday and they came out great. Unfortunatetly, it was very humid here yesterday and, even though they were kept in an airtight bag container, they got very flexible. Not as good as when they are crunchy. But, they worked fine with the spinach dip I had.

LindaSue, your pics are awesome. Mine never look that uniform.

I wonder if you took out the spices, how they would work as a pie crust?
Old 06-01-2004, 05:11 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

mamax6......

When I made mine (high humidity here too) I made them very thin. After baking, I broke them apart and took some for my "cheese and cracker lunch" and then popped the tray back into the (off) oven while I ate lunch.

Well, putting them back in the oven helped on the crispness I think. It was off, but still warm and by breaking them apart and keeping them in the oven for the afternoon they stayed really really crisp.

I put them into a baggy then after the oven, the pan and the crackers were completely cooled and they are still just as crisp as can be.

Try putting your triple batch single layered on a sheet pan and put it back in the oven, which has been heated to about 250 and then turned OFF again. Stir them in about 5 minutes, and then in about 10 minutes. By then your oven should be warm enough to not get the edges too brown, but will be hot enough to bake the moisture out. Leave them in the oven until the oven is cool. Then package them back up in a ziplock.

I think it will work for you! (Kind of like making chex mix....).
Old 06-01-2004, 06:55 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Ooh, Merritt! If you come up with graham crackers, that opens a whole new possibility: Cheesecake Crust! Go, girl! Let us know how it comes out.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:01 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I wonder if storing them in the freezer would help keep the humidity away? Just a thought. Otherwise...crisping them up in the oven is a good solution.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:03 AM   #28

So far no humidity problems here and Houston is very humid. The ones I made yesterday were still crisp this morning. I have them in a plastic container.

I made a cinnamon version this morning, but they need more tweaking:

CINNAMON THINS
3 ounces almond flour (1 cup)
4 teaspoons granular Splenda (try 8 teaspoons)
1 egg white
Pinch salt (try 1/8 teaspoon)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (try 1/2 teaspoon)
1/8 teaspoon vanilla

Topping:
1 teaspoon granular Splenda
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon

Make the same as for the Almond Thins, but sprinkle the topping over the dough before baking. Spread the topping evening over the dough with your hand.

Makes about 48-64 crackers

Per batch: 532 Calories; 43g Fat; 21g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 12g Net Carbs
Per 8 crackers: 67 Calories; 5g Fat; 3g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs

These need a bit more tweaking. Next time I will try them with the quantities in parenthesis. The carb counts are based on the adjusted quantities.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:37 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks gang. I had faith in all of you. These were fabulous! I would have never known I wasn't eating a whole wheat cracker! I found the salt and garlic amounts from Linda's suggestions to be just about perfect for me.

I never did find the almond flour. The store had every other nut flour, but were out of the almond. So, I did grind my own, but I ground them in the spice grinder and then sifted it until I had my almond flour. I can't imagine it getting much finer, so I know I was very close.

I do need to work on my techinique a bit. I could have rolled them just a bit thinner and a bit more even. They didn't bake quite as evenly as I would like either. But they were so good. They sure are a perfect cracker replacement. Very much like a wheat thin.

I still love the Cheese-it's too.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:41 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LindaSue - when I was at the grocery store, I was investigating the ingredients in the graham crackers. Other than graham flour...which we know needs to be almonds, there was cinnamon and vanilla...but there was also molasses. I'm thinking just a tiny drizzle of molasses might make a big difference.

Just a thought, since you are still tweaking.....