Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2005, 04:47 AM   #241
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Over50Mom
Stats: 160/110/120 5'0"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 19, 2003
Re: Almond thins and peanut butter

Quote:
Originally posted by Alice J Polhemus
Now a question please. Where do you get LC peanut butter? Do or can you make it yourself? How many carbs does it have?
Thanks in advance.
Alice
I use Natural Peanut butter. The kind you have to stir before you can use it. I've gotten so I like it better than the regular PB I used to eat before I started eating low carb. Make sure you get one that's only peanuts and salt with nothing else added.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2005, 07:26 AM   #242
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Alice J Polhemus
Stats: 292/270/180- then 160
Start Date: Aug. 2000 - lost 65 lbs - regained - restart 12/04
RE Peanut butter

Thank you Lise. I will look for it!
Alice
Old 02-14-2005, 11:11 AM   #243
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Diabeticmom2004
Stats: 267/185/144
WOE: LowCarb 5'4"
Start Date: July2004
Re: Almond Thins

Quote:
Originally posted by mamax6
I tried these and they are awsome. It so nice to have something to dip with (I tried the Cheez-its recipe and didn't like it - just like warmed up American cheese)

I tried this recipe and it was AWESOME! IT was SOOO easy so I made a double batch the 2nd time.

Great to use for "dippy things"

This was originally posted by MiRedKitty on the "Awesome Appetizers" sticky.

Almond Thins

1 cup almond flour
1 packet of Splenda
1 egg white
pinch of salt, garlic powder, & onion powder

Preheat oven 325. Mix ingredients well. Place mixture onto a well greased piece of tin foil. Spray a piece of wax paper with cooking spray and lay over top of mixture. Use a rolling pin to roll out to a cracker thickness. Gently remove wax paper. Sprinkle more salt on top if desired and press lightly into dough. Score with knife or pizza cutter into squares. Lay tin foil on rack in oven. Bake until golden brown about 10 minutes. Makes around 50 crackers.

Carb count is about 13 for the whole batch. You can also vary the flavor-use ranch powder, ground bacon bits, season salt...
These sound so good in a few weeks I will have to try them.

Old 02-19-2005, 09:59 PM   #244
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aediekins
Stats: St/199 Curr/163 Goal/155
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: 8 more lbs to go!!
I finally made these tonight! I don't know why I waited so long! I made the first batch as the original recipe directs...but they had very little flavor. But they were perfect with Onion and chived cream cheese smeared on them!

I have another batch in the oven. I seasoned them heavily with 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 tsp onion powder, 1/4 tsp dill, 1/4 tsp parsley, 1/4 cup parm.
I had to use an extra large egg (white) too.

Then I sprinkled them all with cheddar cheese. I'll let you know how they turned out.

Low-Carb foods are not created equal
Enjoy- cream, butter, coconut oil, olive oil, fresh chicken, fish, beef, pork, bacon, sausage, cheese, LC veggies, berries/melon, dressings, stevia, chocolate (75% cocoa) and red wine
Avoid - Mayo, canola oil, too much protein, processed LC foods (tortillas, candy, shakes, bars) Splenda and other artificial sweeteners, corn products (xanthan gum, dextrose, maltodextrin)

Last edited by Aediekins; 02-19-2005 at 10:03 PM..
Old 02-19-2005, 10:03 PM   #245
Major LCF Poster!

My next batch I'm going to try subbing some carbquik for the almond four. The crackers still have a nut taste to them and I would like to try it with less almond flour.

Any body have any ideas on how much to sub? Should I just start with 1/2 almond flour and 1/2 carbquik?
Old 02-20-2005, 06:33 AM   #246
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Over50Mom
Stats: 160/110/120 5'0"
Start Date: October 19, 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Aediekins
My next batch I'm going to try subbing some carbquik for the almond four. The crackers still have a nut taste to them and I would like to try it with less almond flour.

Any body have any ideas on how much to sub? Should I just start with 1/2 almond flour and 1/2 carbquik?
Check these crackers out, I substituted some Carbquik, and added butter and they're nice an flakey.
http://users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/ritzy_crackers.html
Old 02-20-2005, 06:55 AM   #247
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
I highly recommend Nancy's Ritzy Crackers. They're the closest thing to real crackers that I've had.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:15 AM   #248
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kerri
Stats: 222/183 /150....
WOE: Atkins, LCHF
Start Date: Over and Over and over AGAIN...
Wow ..Lindasue those look good thanks for the link....I will try them this week...
Kerri
Old 02-20-2005, 11:47 AM   #249
Major LCF Poster!

Okay, thanks for the link Over50mom. They look like ALmond thins in the pic... but becasue of the Carbquik and Butter, I bet their much more flaky!
Old 02-20-2005, 08:49 PM   #250
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: suzg
Stats: 178/139/120
Start Date: Sept'03
Ok, I started reading this thread yesterday, and today I went out and bought a rolling pin and parchment papterso I could make this.

They are in the oven. I used 1 cup of almond flour, one cup of golden flax meal, 2 egg whites, and some Fiesta Ranch seasoning.
I accidently shook more seasoning in than I meant to...so I hope they aren't too strong tasting. I sprinkled some sea salt on top!

I'm anxious for them to be done!!

I'm all ready to try some with liquid splenda/ erythritol and cinnamon!!
Old 02-20-2005, 09:02 PM   #251
Senior LCF Member

They are WAY Good!!

Sweet cinnamon is next! Tonight!
Old 02-20-2005, 09:44 PM   #252
Senior LCF Member

my cinnamon ones aren't as good...

I thought what the heck throw the yolk in too.... I think that was what made it go wrong. They are too wet...so far. I just took one pan out...going to let it cool then put it back in...hoping that as it sits on the oven staying warm it'll dry out some without burning. I hope that makes sense. The taste isn't bad though!

This time I also only used mostly almond meal with just a *little* flax.

I'm glad I made that first batch *after* a good dinner, rather than before when I was hungry.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:10 PM   #253
Senior LCF Member

Ok, now that the cinnamon ones have cooled they are better than I first thought...but not as good as the first savory batch!

I'll eat and enjoy them, but they aren't quite what I was hoping for.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the erythritol sort of melted on top a little like sugar would do. It totally surprised me!!
Old 02-21-2005, 09:09 PM   #254
Senior LCF Member

Start Date: A long time ago
Thanks Over50Mom and LindaSue for posting Nancy's Ritzy Crackers. I made a batch tonight and they are wonderful! Yum Yum! You can't taste the Carbquik either, they came out crispy and flaky.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:04 AM   #255
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wine2
Stats: 5'7 53 y.o.189/175/165 (size:14,12,10)
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 12/26/11
Quote:
Originally posted by LindaSue
I highly recommend Nancy's Ritzy Crackers. They're the closest thing to real crackers that I've had.
These are much better IMHO than the other almond crackers! I used 1 tsp.Ranch powder instead of the suggested spices. I had to put them away quickly before my DH & I ate them all! I had cooked so many different things on Sunday that by the time I made these I got lazy and skipped the rolling them into little balls part and just rolled the whole thing out on parchment paper using the plastic wrap inbetween the roller and dough (good tip). Then, just baked it and after cooled just broke into pieces. So fast that way...more like a Lavash cracker style-wise!

Beth
Old 03-16-2005, 11:01 AM   #256
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 236/192/145
WOE: Atkins, Master Cleanse Fast
Start Date: 01/01/05
I know I am a day late and a dollar short on posting this but I just found this thread!! And I just have to say These are GREAT!!!!
You ppl never stop amazing me!! The recipies you ppl come up with . I have tried several that i didnt laike too though. Anyway thought I would share: I have to add more onion and garlic powder to mine, the org amounts are not enough for me. And half way through the cooking process I flip mine over they come out every evenly brown and crisp. I have the org ones in the oven now and next I am doing the gingersnap ones. I will post back and let you know how they come out.

180 by Easter

Week 1: - 12 lbs WOO HOO
Week 2: - 2 lbs
Week 3: - 5 lbs and -10 inches since week 1
Week4: - 1 lbs
Week 5: - 6 lbs and - 3 inches all over
Week 6: - 2 pounds and 3.5 inches
Week 7: -5 pounds and 8.5 inches (AMAZING)
Week 8: -0 pounds and 2.0 inches
02/27/05 bought a new scale and instantly gained 8 pounds, changes stats to reflect that change
Week9: - 12 pounds and - 2.0 inches(fasting)
Week 10: +3 (gained back after breaking my fast)
Week 11: + 2 fell of the wagon and -1.25 inches
I can't wait to find the person inside of me!!

Avatar Pics: My before pic and then my during pic ( - 26 pounds)
Old 03-16-2005, 12:56 PM   #257
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PhillyTwinsMom
WOE: LowCarb & Patience
Start Date: It's a fresh start everyday...!
Wine2....I also made the "Ritz" version with Ranch powder this weekend. Can you say WOW!!!!

They are awesome with the ranch replacing the other spices. I will definately be making them this way again. My favorite by far but the sesame almond variation is wonderful also. I have been making a batch every weekend for about the last 3-4 weeks.

Thanks LindaSue and Nancy

Philly!
Old 03-16-2005, 01:20 PM   #258

PhillyTwinsMom, how much ranch powder are you putting in and are you using it in place of the garlic powder, onion powder and salt? Nancy and I made a lot of test batches of the Ritzy Crackers and the Sesame Almond Crackers and we both decided that 1/2 teaspoon of salt was too much, but 1/8 teaspoon wasn't salty enough. So, we decided that 3/8 teaspoon was just about right. I'd like to try the ranch version, but I don't want them to come out too salty. There's also the saltiness from the Carbquik to take into consideration.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:47 PM   #259
Major LCF Poster!

Linda...I used the receipe with 1/2CQ and 1/2Alm Flr. (but I did not add any butter)

I added 1 TBSP of ranch powder from the packet. I did not use any of the other spices (salt, garlic or onion). The ranch took care of all of that. I don't think they came out salty at all. But I may not be as sensitive to salt as you may be.

The 'dough' was a little dryer than normal (probably the CQ) so I added maybe 1 to 1-1/2 tbsp of water, just to get it moist. (half a tbsp at a time). I was afraid that I messed them up but they were the best batch so far. Maybe the water helped with the saltiness.

I also included the sesame seeds. I think this adds aloooot to the texture and taste.

Philly!!!

**after previewing this to check for spelling errors....maybe I should have used the butter and then it would not have been so dry. Then again using water instead of salted butter probably helped
Old 03-16-2005, 04:52 PM   #260
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ElizaB
Stats: 255/229/130
I'm very interesed in making the Ritz Cracker version of this recipie, but I've learned I have a bad reaction to sucralose so Carbquik is out for me. Does anyone have any suggestions on alternative mixtures? I make the Almond Thins with Butter already, but would love to add a bit more flakiness.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:41 AM   #261

Thanks, PhillyTwinsMom.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:42 PM   #262
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cheeky1178
Stats: 324.8/288/180-ish?
WOE: 50gms or less
Start Date: 1/17/14
Wow Note to self, buy rolling pin, ravioli cutter and almond flour....then read the rest of this thread for all the recipe variations!! I found regular and cinammon so far haha So exciting I'm going shopping this weekend and am cooking all day Sunday so I am ready for Induction next week
Old 03-31-2005, 07:38 PM   #263
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeky1178
Wow Note to self, buy rolling pin, ravioli cutter and almond flour....then read the rest of this thread for all the recipe variations!!

Cheeky...read the full thread before you go shopping. There is a way to roll the dough in small balls and press it out with the bottom of a glass or the bottom of a baking powder can. This way is soooo much easier. I also went out and bought a rolling pin and it has been sitting in the drawer .
If you check out LindaSue's website she has some great tips for working with the dough and pressing.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:20 PM   #264
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cheeky1178
Stats: 324.8/288/180-ish?
WOE: 50gms or less
Start Date: 1/17/14
Philly thanks for the tip! I'm still going to buy the ravioli cutter so I can make cool edges haha
Old 04-02-2005, 02:09 AM   #265
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: skitsokitty
these almond thins are fantastic!
as have no ravioli cutter + no garlic/onion/anything savoury on hand, ended up using about 3/4 C of splenda. since i scored dough with knife they look a bit like melba toast. the splenda gave it a mild sweet taste. these are great as an alternative to the almond pound cake from the recipe room! handy for mid morn/arvo snack. very happy. definitely do no miss regular biscuits.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:03 PM   #266
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bigmomma
BOY AM I HOOKED ON THESE! I tweaked the original recipe by adding 1/3 cup CQ to the 1 c. almond meal, plus 2T butter AND about a T. of liquid smoke, a T. of dried chives, 2T parm. cheese & a dash of cayenne to jazz things up!! (I tried a batch with a t. of "better than Boullion" Chicken paste added but they were a little too salty (remember "Chicken' in-a Bisquit" snack crackers??) The tweaked crackers came out rich, crispy, flakey and flavorful! My new favorite snack?: 6 almond crackers with a bowl of tuna salad! (and the best part is 6 crackers are only 3 carbs (I get 36 or so crackers from a batch with the total recipe only 16 or so carbs!!! ) Oh, yeah, forgot to add that I use the whole egg in my crackers with great results IMO

Last edited by bigmomma; 04-04-2005 at 05:05 PM..
Old 05-03-2005, 01:11 AM   #267
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lucky4
Stats: Size 20-22/-31.6 lbs /Size 8-10 Right under 5'8"
WOE: Back to Protein Power (LCer for a long time)
Start Date: Restart Feb 1, 2011
I can't believe I stumbled on this thread--it may be my downfall because I will certainly over-eat these and have too many calories But they look wonderful! I do have a question before I try this--someone mentioned grinding and sifting. When I grind my own in my Vita-Mix or a coffee grinder, they are oily and kind of stick together. Is this normal or is the almond flour more 'floury'? If these work, I will be SO happy because there are just some things that need dippers--and these look so versatile with all the different spices, etc. My LC has been really dull--plain meat, plain salad--maybe I need to be visiting here more often Really great job guys!
Oh, I can't see why something like this wouldn't work for pie crust or other similar things.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:29 PM   #268
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: redvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocahontas
Joe's Crab Shack Crab Dip

2 ounces Cream cheese
1 tablespoon Mayonnaise
1/4 cup Sour cream
1 tablespoon Butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon Seasoned salt
1/8 teaspoon Paprika
4 teaspoons Onions, diced
4 teaspoons Green pepper, minced
1/4 cup Cheese, Mozzarella, shredded
6 ounces Crab meat

Mix cream cheese, mayo, sour cream and butter until smooth. Blend in salt and paprika. Stir in onion, green pepper, cheese and crab meat. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes, until bubbly.

I buy canned crab meat at Trader Joes. Also, last time I made it with chives and red pepper........it was deeee-licious!
OMG, I made this today and it was fantastic. Ate it with the ranch dressing almond thins. YUMMY!!!
Old 05-19-2005, 11:26 AM   #269
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oreo2
WOE: lc
I took the original recipie and subbed 1 tsp of "Better than Broth" for the seasonings. It was ok, but I think I will up the seasoning for the "chicken in a basket" taste. Maybe increase by 1/2 a tsp. They were good as is. HTH
Old 05-31-2005, 07:19 AM   #270
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alison Jean 71
Stats: 159/121/119 5'6" 40yrs
Start Date: January 3, 2004
I made these yesterday and they were very yummy. I could eat the entire batch. I ate quite a few. Mine were definitely not as good looking as LindaSue's. I did not really plan on serving them to anyone anyhow. Just for me. I also forgot to spray the foil but they still came off. I just ate all the broken ones. I am going to try the cinnamon version next.