Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2004, 02:38 AM   #121
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
I made a spicey version that reminds me of the Dutch cookies I enjoyed as a child. I'll be trying some savory ones next. I think I had a bit too much spice for the amount of egg white, so I would either increase the amount of egg white next time, or decrease the amount of almond flour. However, the flavor is wonderful and the texture is awesome.

The other thing I did - and I would certainly not recommend anyone else doing this - I tried putting my almond flour through my sifter. Big mistake. The small bits that get through the first screen are too large for the second and third screens, and there is NO way to get them out. My sifter is now in the garbage. I don't think that the size of the meal really matters in this case.

Josie, I think your idea of using small amounts and flattening them with a glass is a wonderful suggestion. I'll be trying that with my next batch.

Auntie

Proud member of the SHRINKING VIOLETS
[/color]

[color=red]At the Canada Challenge thread every day![/color]

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2004, 10:47 AM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jenita
Almond flour

Auntie, what a shame! I have one of the old-fashioned type of sifters --only one screen and a handle that you turn. I always sift my almond meal after blending it, then put the chunks back in to blend some more. When I get down to the end and have some small chunks in it, that's what I use for the almond thins. It's kind of like the nutty wheat thins.
Jenita
Old 06-17-2004, 02:05 PM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tigs33
Stats: 154+/136/133
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 13/06/03
word of caution, do not try and bake these straight onto a baking sheet, they do not come off!!! (Well not very easily and you need a lot of brute force )
Old 06-17-2004, 02:46 PM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Antmaymay
WOE: Atkins
can any other nut be used for flour? Pistachios, cachews, pecans, etc?
Old 06-17-2004, 03:42 PM   #125
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
Quote:
Originally posted by Antmaymay
can any other nut be used for flour? Pistachios, cachews, pecans, etc?
Anything you can grind up.

Some may taste better than others, but the only way to find out is to experiment!
Old 06-17-2004, 05:09 PM   #126
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: NorthernNisse
Stats: 234/180/180 5'7.5"
WOE: Atkins '72
I'm sure any nut will work. I think almonds have the most neutral flavor.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:57 PM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sdbeeme
Stats: 250/up one, down one/150
Start Date: Re-committed 8/04
word of caution, do not try and bake these straight onto a baking sheet, they do not

I rolled mine out directly on a silpat baking sheet with the sprayed wax paper on top and then just the laid the silpat on a baking sheet and it worked great!!!
Old 06-18-2004, 11:29 AM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BridgetAllyn
Stats: 233/151/140-ish - second time 165/165/135
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 06/21/03
I LOVE this recipe

What a lifesaver!! I also just made a cheese cake and used the same basic recipe, but added splenda instead of the spices and some cinnamon. It makes a GREAT cheesecake crust.

Thanks for the versatile recipe!
Old 06-18-2004, 01:14 PM   #129
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cjack
I love these crackers. I think I've already made 5 batches.

I experimented last night with a cheese cracker and they taste just like cheez-its. Here's the recipe.

LC Cheezits

3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheeze at room temperature
2/3 cup almond flour (I used flour, not meal in this, but meal would work, too)
1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
1/8 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 egg white
1 tsp Worchestershire sauce

Mix cheese with dry ingredients. Work the dough with your hands until the cheese and flour are mixed so you can't see the grates of cheese independently from the flour. Mix the worchestershire sauce with the egg white. Pour the egg white mixture into the cheese mixture and mix well. Proceed as with the almond thins, i.e. drop the dough onto a parchment paper and cover with another. Roll out until very thin. Score the crackers with a pizza cutter. Bake at 325. Mine didn't need to bake the full 20 minutes. Start checking them in about 15 minutes and take them out when they get the color of Cheezits.

These are really great if you like cheese crackers. I like the microwave cheeze-its, but I think these are much closer to the real thing.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:34 PM   #130
Senior LCF Member

Crust?

Bridget, tell us more.....did you bake the crust, then use a no-bake cheesecake?

I just made a batch using Creole seasoning in place of the salt and sprinkled the tops with sesame seeds. I do find that I have to turn the oven down to 300 (mine bakes a little on the hot side) or they burn very quickly. The best way I've found is to make the balls and press them like Josie suggested. I spray foil, then use a piece of parchment on top, wiping it off with a paper towel after each pressing. What a great recipe!
Jenita
Old 06-19-2004, 03:58 AM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Jenita-

I took the batter (with some Splenda and cinnamon to taste...you don't need much), and instead of rolling it on foil, I pressed it into my springform pan (Pam'd it first) using buttered fingers so it wouldn't stick. Then, I just baked it according to the directions, let it cool, then added Beachgirl's cheesecake recipe and cooked it per the directions. It's just like a prebaked crust you get at the store, but low carb! I thought at first the crust would be too hard, but when the cheesecake came out, the moisture from the cheese cake made it like a regular cheesecake crust.

I'm certain that you could use a no-bake cheesecake recipe, too!
Old 06-20-2004, 04:42 AM   #132
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: LisaUK
Stats: Start: 266 Current: 212
WOE: Atkins/Dr Clark
Start Date: April 2003 - health reasons
Just made the almond thins

Well, they're in the oven now. Can I just say that I have NO idea how you girls get so many crackers out of one mix! I guess US and UK measurements must be different.
Old 06-20-2004, 04:48 AM   #133

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Lisa, I weighed my almond flour so you should have the same amount that I did, assuming that you also weighed yours. The trick is to roll the dough out very thin and cut them quite small.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:33 AM   #134

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
They are very small crackers, Lisa. Mine are about an inch square. I'm thinking to try making bigger crackers, and a double recipe. I think I'm in trouble.

Old 06-20-2004, 05:38 AM   #135
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HisWaysAllMyDays
Stats: 138/120/110 5'4"
Start Date: May 11 2004
Is there anything I can use instead of almond flour?? I am having a really hard time finding it....my super walmart didnt have it and none of the local groc stores either....where does everyone get theirs....can any thing else be used instead?? I want to make these bad....
Old 06-20-2004, 07:02 AM   #136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You can just make your almond flour yourself. Just grind almonds in a coffee grinder as fine as you can. I have never purchased almond flour.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:03 AM   #137
Senior LCF Member

HisWays-

I haven't found it, either. I just buy whole raw almonds (usually found in the baking section of the grocery store) and grind my own in a food processor. It's more mealy than packaged almond flour, but it works just as well in the recipes I've tried on this board.

I've also found that I can buy a bulk bag for about $7 at Costco. (I'm not sure how much it is....it's a lot and lasts me awhile!) I don't know what I'd do without my almonds!

HTH!
Old 06-20-2004, 09:16 AM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Thanks!

Thanks, Bridget. That sounds very good.
LisaUK, I make my crackers larger and get about 3 dozen.

I also grind my own almonds and have never bought the flour. I have noticed that some of our stores now carry Bob's Red Mill almond flour now, though. It's still cheaper to buy a large bag of almonds at Sams.

I'm already out of these crackers. That pimento spread that I made was great on them.
Jenita
Old 06-20-2004, 03:04 PM   #139
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I guess I didn't roll them thin enough. I only got about a dozen! They were quite nice, needed much more salt in them for my taste but that's okay - I shall have to make some more! Auntie, yes, I also thought to double the recipe....
Old 06-20-2004, 08:54 PM   #140
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Cap57
Stats: 155/150/135 (5'8")
WOE: low carb
Start Date: Sept. 2003
I finally made these for a Father's Day Family Party to go with a hot artichoke dip. I also made the Cheezits from American cheese. Both were delicious with the dip. I did as someone suggested and added a bit (1/2 tsp?) of dry Ranch dressing mix to the other spices, and flattened balls with a glass. I got about 40 crackers out of the batch, but will double the recipe next time.
Oh, and I didn't have quite a cup of almond flour, so added a couple of Tab. of ground flax. So good! I had tried a similar recipe using sunflower seeds, but this is so much better, IMO!

LisaUK, I only use about 1/2 -1 tsp. of dough for each cracker. When you flatten them out with the (Saran Wrap covered) glass REALLY thin, they are about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. HTH
Cap
Old 06-20-2004, 10:35 PM   #141
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Cap, that's how much dough I use for each one and I did the glass thing as well. Much easier that way isnt it? I'll just have to try them again won't I?
Old 06-21-2004, 07:40 AM   #142

Gallery: pocahontas
I also get about 40 crackers when I use a glass to press them. Before when I was rolling and scoring, I was getting way less crackers.

Lisa - I use little balls about the size of a marble. I hope that helps.......LOL!
Old 06-21-2004, 08:28 AM   #143
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meli-Mel
Stats: 190/182/150
Start Date: September 24, 2012
Just made these today with the original recipe and they are fantastic and so simple! I just saw the newest trick of making each cracker individually and press with a glass- I'll have to try that next because there will definitely be a next time for these great crackers!

Old 06-21-2004, 10:36 AM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Ok I'm off to buy a food processer or something to grind my own almonds since I cant find the flour anywhere around.... I really am dying to taste these....maybe its for the best that I cant make any...I am afraid I may eat way to many....
Old 06-21-2004, 11:10 AM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sheryl5
HisWaysAllMyDays,

Unless you need a food processor (or was looking for an excuse to buy one... ), just get an inexpensive coffee grinder. I think I have seen them at Linens N Things, etc. for around $10. They work great for grinding almonds. I also got a brush there that I use to brush it out before and after. My husband actually grinds coffee in ours!

Sheryl
Old 06-21-2004, 03:02 PM   #146
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I'd go with the coffee grinder too. That's what I use. I toast the whole almonds lightly in the oven so they smell sweet and then grind them when they're cool. I pulse the grinder, if I let it run I get almond butter!
Old 06-21-2004, 03:41 PM   #147
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Although a food processor will work, you can get the finest grind with a coffee grinder....and a much better price.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:09 PM   #148
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: underHiswing
Stats: Size 14/6-8/8
WOE: moderate carb, whole foods
Start Date: 7/03
I am new here but have been reading the posts for some time now. I think this recipe is just great! I have also tried Josie's method, I think it was...made it a lot easier for me. I also have another way to "cook" the crackers. With the heat, I hate to put my oven on so I use the microwave to do them. I had a recipe from a long time ago for some other low carb crackers using the micro so I thought, why not! With microwaves being different, they really have to be watched but I do them in batches of 12 on a "Silpat" type sheet for approximately 30-35 seconds on high. I find that they come out very well.

I do appreciate the recipes here so much. There is just so much variety and creativity! Thanks so much!

Laurie
Old 06-21-2004, 09:22 PM   #149
Senior LCF Member

thanks for the info about the coffee grinder....thats what I will get.... I dont really need a food processer....or at least I have never needed one yet..... and the cheaper the better.....

Off to find me a grinder..... and home to make some crackers... I want to use them with my cheese ball I made today... I just hope that I can control the portions.... I know I will not be able to stop at a reasonable amount I love that cheese ball recipe... the one with just cream cheese and chopped ham and pecans....I may leave the pecans out and not roll it in anything ....its just as good plain.... yum....

For we walk by faith, Not by sight.
2 Corinthians 5: 7

Labor Day Goal: Fit into a size 3 jeans
Weekly Goal: Exercise 6 days a week!
Daily Goal: Drink at least 80oz of Water a day!
Weight Goal: 110lbs Now: 122

Mini Goal: 115 by Aug 28th
Old 06-27-2004, 09:20 PM   #150
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: GoneLoCarb
Stats: 156/147/140 for now, 5'3"
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 7/6/03
Just tried these today for the first time...OMGosh... they didn't last an hour and I was the only one eating them!!!!