Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2004, 03:46 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: NorthernNisse
Stats: 234/180/180 5'7.5"
WOE: Atkins '72
Another note, since I didn't read the directions very well (until after the fact) regarding rolling out.

I rolled mine out on a cookie sheet with parchement paper on the bottom and plastic wrap on the top. Nothing greased or sprayed and nothing stuck at all and the parchement is pretty much clean for another use.

Thank goodness this worked great, because I didn't have any waxed paper on hand.

The simpler we can make this process, the happier I will be.

Last edited by NorthernNisse; 06-01-2004 at 03:50 PM..

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2004, 04:09 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
I've baked them on a Silpat... works like a charm!
Old 06-01-2004, 04:32 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Silpat has been on my list for the longest time!!! I have got to get myself at least one mat of Silpat soon!
Old 06-01-2004, 10:51 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Atkins
Start Date: A long time ago
This recipe could easily be the BEST low carb recipe I have ever tried, and I have tried maaaannnnyy. I did roll them a bit too thin, but they where still good, just delicate. I made them without any spices, just salt. I wanted to try them with peanut butter!

I now have "Wheat Thins". I will be making many more batches of these.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:46 AM   #35
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: auntie3
Stats: 217 / bouncing around / 140
WOE: Low Carb/ Lower GI
Start Date: Jan 24/01
Josie, you really should get a Silpat! They are wonderful! The only caution here would be cutting the crackers - I think the pastry wheel or ravioli cutter could damage the Silpat.

I guess it'll be my turn to make these now - I've been struggling with the notion for some time after all the warnings about their addictive quality!But they sound sooooo good! And LindaSue's pictures make them look so wonderful. Sigh.

Old 06-02-2004, 08:09 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I used an old pizza cutter (doesn't have a sharpened edge), and just scored the crackers on the Silpat... I was a little leary, but had to try. I would be careful with sharp objects, though. I think you could easily use a plastic spatula or something similar to score it (and don't press too hard) with no trouble.

Got my Silpat with a $5 off coupon from Bed, Bath & Beyond. Don't know how I waited so long to get one!
Old 06-03-2004, 04:54 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: replay
Stats: 309/299/200
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 4/7/2011
I made these today and they were good.

Mine were not nearly as thick as the ones in Linda's picture, and I cannot phathom how I would ever get 48 crackers out of one batch . I used 3 ounces of almond meal that I ground from whole almonds. Should I beat the egg white first?

Also, I rolled mine out into a thin "blob" between two pieces of parchment paper. The dough was too sticky to cut, so I cut it after it had been in the oven a little while.

I think I may leave out the splenda on the next batch.

Any more tips from other almond thin chefs out there?
Old 06-03-2004, 05:02 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by dizneegirl
Got my Silpat with a $5 off coupon from Bed, Bath & Beyond. Don't know how I waited so long to get one!
Guess what came in the mail today!? Yes, my coupon for Bed Bath & Beyond. I guess some things are just meant to be. I'm heading over. Thanks for the great idea.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:34 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mamax6
Stats: 192/
WOE: LC no gluten
Start Date: Jan. 02, re-restart: April, '13
I didn't have parchment paper when I first started making these and this is what I did....

I spray generously one sheet of tin foil. Laid the almond mixture onto that and covered it with plastic wrap. Then I rolled it out (I lost my roller since and now just use a glass) It rolls out just fine albeit a bit uneven. Not exactly a retangle, not exacly a circle either Then I score it with a pizza cutter. I've never gotten 48 pieces either. Probably got 30-35 pieces though. Maybe I'll try rolling them thinner next time. AFter they're rolled out I throw the tin foil in the oven to cook them (I peel off the plasic wrap - of course). It works fine. When I make a double/triple batch, I start working on the next bit on another sheet of tin foil - that way its ready to go as soon as the other comes out. I've yet to have any trouble with the the thins sticking to either the foil or the plastic wrap.

Oh, and I've never beaten the egg white ahead of time, but I'm sure it can't hurt.

Good luck and enjoy.

Old 06-04-2004, 04:22 AM   #40

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
I also wondered about beating the egg white or not. Since the recipe didn't say, I just dumped it in with the almond flour as is and it worked fine.

To those of you who aren't getting at least 48 crackers, how big are you making them? Mine come out about the size of Cheez-its and maybe a bit smaller than a Wheat Thin (been ages since I've seen one, so I'm only guessing). When I made the cinnamon ones, I got 64. I think mine are about 1" square.

It doesn't seem to matter if some are a bit thicker than others. They are still good. The thinner ones are a bit harder to get off the foil without breaking though. Sometimes after breaking them apart, I'll stick the paler ones back on the foil and put them in the oven a bit longer to brown them better.

By the way, they seem to be staying nice and crisp even after a couple days in the Houston humidity. I store them in one of those disposable plastic containers.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:35 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mamax6
Stats: 192/
WOE: LC no gluten
Start Date: Jan. 02, re-restart: April, '13
Mine are about the size of cheeze-its too. Thats a good point about the thinner ones being hard to pull off the foil. I'll keep that in mind the next time I make them.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:09 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Meritt
WOE: Modified
Start Date: June 1, 2002
I didn't count how many I got... but mine look exactly like Wheat Thins. I used a regular pizza cutter, and I rolled them as thick as a wheat thin.

I finished them 2 days ago (they stayed crisp that whole time just in a regular plastic baggy!) but I have no more almonds in the house to make more.

This recipe is a keeper.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:32 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I wish mine had lasted 2 days.
Old 06-05-2004, 05:51 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: replay
Stats: 309/299/200
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 4/7/2011
Thanks for the input!
Old 06-05-2004, 07:01 AM   #45
_catzy_

Gallery: Bonnie
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
I made these last night and they aren't bad. Some of mine were thicker in the middle and weren't as crispy. dh told me to cook the thicker ones longer next time and they would be better. like he is the expert low carb cook! He is starting to ask stuff like "what's in them besides Splenda and Almonds" just in case it might be something he wants to eat. He cracks me up.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:07 AM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mine are....were ... the size of a wheat thin. I don't remember exactly, but I think I got about 40 crackers and then there were the edge pieces, so I couldn't have been too far off.

I also stirred my egg a bit with a fork. I wasn't sure either, but I figured it wouldn't hurt. It just felt like the thing to do.
Old 06-05-2004, 04:44 PM   #47

There's no need to get fussy about mixing the ingredients. I just dump them all into a bowl and mix with a spoon until everything is evenly moistened and dough-like. At first it seems like it will be too dry, but it comes out just right after enough mixing.

_catzy_ , you can just remove the browned ones and stick the raw-looking ones back in for a couple more minutes. I find that they come off the foil easier once they've browned a bit too.

I can't wait till our next family get-together. I'll have all kinds of low carb munchies that will blow my brothers and sister away.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:08 AM   #48

Gallery: toomuchbooty
These were a success for me! I love them. Easiest recipe and wonderful results.
I can't wait to enjoy some great dips with them.

I portioned them off in to 4 baggies so that I could keep an eye on my intake!
Old 06-06-2004, 06:53 AM   #49
_catzy_

Gallery: Bonnie
WOE: Low Carb Maintenance
Quote:
Originally posted by LindaSue
_catzy_ , you can just remove the browned ones and stick the raw-looking ones back in for a couple more minutes. I find that they come off the foil easier once they've browned a bit too.
thanks for the tip - I will try that if I make them again. Not sure I will, because I ate them all in 2 days
Old 06-07-2004, 05:00 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PhillyTwinsMom
WOE: LowCarb & Patience
Start Date: It's a fresh start everyday...!
OK...so I tried the cinnamon version and they came out pretty good. I did make them too sweet though, because I cut the receipe in 1/2 but put the whole amount of sweetner in by accident:blush: . They were still good though. My husband even liked them. I had trouble with the top sprinkling. Some had a little, some had a BIG sprinkle:blush: Next time I think I will try the plain ones. This was a nice small batch for experimenting with. It actually was an experimenting weekend. 1/2 the receipes made it,.... 1/2 of them died and needed to be buried quick!
Old 06-07-2004, 05:16 AM   #51

PhillyTwinsMom, what I did with the cinnamon "sugar" sprinkling over the top was to scatter it over the surface then used my hand to lightly spread it around more evenly.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:22 AM   #52

I just had the idea of adding some poppy seeds to the savory almond thins. I don't have any on hand, but I looked them up at the USDA site and 1 tablespoon has about 1 net carb. I like store-bought crackers with poppy seeds in them, but I'm not sure if they really add any flavor. Does anyone know? If they're mostly for looks, I wouldn't bother.

I'd also like to try adding some flax meal, but I'm afraid the dough might get too dry. The dough comes out just right as it is so I'd hate to mess with it too much. How much could be added without having to add another egg white or a bit of water?
Old 06-07-2004, 06:37 AM   #53

Gallery: toomuchbooty
I ate mine with some pate and fried halloumi cheese! Yummy!
Old 06-07-2004, 07:29 AM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Poppy seed will add a bit of different flavor and texture. I don't think a little bit would mess up the moisture at all. Also, I love sesame seeds in crackers and I think that would be very successful too. I plan to go to the co-op any day soon and will pick op a little of both and give it a try. Great idea.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:49 AM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I add parsley to my savory crackers... yum!

This weekend I tried chocolate "grahams"... I omitted the garlic/onion, used a pinch of salt, added a tablespoon of cocoa, a teaspoon of vanilla, and used 4 packets of Splenda. Not bad... especially if you don't overcook them! I'd add a little more sweetner next time. There *will* be a next time.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:01 AM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Parsley is a nice idea too.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:33 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PhillyTwinsMom
WOE: LowCarb & Patience
Start Date: It's a fresh start everyday...!
I just bumped a thread " need tips for almond flour". In it you will find a variation from lowcarbinginkc adding 2/3 pack of ranch dip mix to the cracker.
That sounds pretty good. I may have to try

Philly!
Old 06-07-2004, 10:45 AM   #58
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: bernie
I made a batch on Friday. I added Sesame seeds, ground flax and alittle canned parmasan cheese. I just decreased to ground almonds slightly to acommadate the flax. These were so good. I really had to work to not eat them all in one sitting.

Bernie
Old 06-07-2004, 11:57 AM   #59

JosieL, I was more concerned about adding flax meal than poppy seeds. bernie's tip makes sense. I was also thinking that something green might be a nice touch and parsley would do it or maybe some minced chives.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:28 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sheryl5
Hmmm...With ranch dressing, I wonder if they would taste sort of like those "Chicken 'N a Bisket" crackers. I don't even know if they are around any more, but I used to love those!