Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #481
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Sorry, I just saw your question today. I doubt you'd get the same result. The oat fiber is there for it's floury flavor and crisping ability and I don't think psyllium will give you either of those qualities. Might render a cracker that you like, but likely less crisp than those made with oat fiber.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #482
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CarenL
Stats: 125/121/110
WOE: HFLC GF SF
Start Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
I made these with cheese today and this one's a keeper for sure. Even DH liked this one.

These are very thin and VERY crispy if you allow them to brown a bit! They are good alone or they would be delicious with soups! You can eat five of these for under 2 net carbs!! My kind of cracker! These are not suitable until you get to the nuts and seeds rung of the Atkins OWL ladder.

INGREDIENTS:

2 c. almond flour
2 egg whites
¼ tsp. onion powder
Dash cayenne pepper (use more if you like)
1 c. grated Cheddar cheese
¼ tsp. salt (optional)

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 325º. Cut parchment paper to fit exactly the bottom of an 11″ x 16½” sheet pan. Just set the paper on your kitchen counter for now. Mix almond flour and seasonings in a bowl. Add egg whites and stir with a fork until it forms a moist dough. Spoon (or crumble with your hands) the dough evenly onto parchment working from the center out. Cover the dough blobs with a sprayed/oiled sheet of waxed paper the same size. Using a rolling pin, roll dough into a single, smooth rectangular sheet of dough the size of the parchment. Be careful to not let the dough exceed the piece of parchment paper. If it does, put those bits back into the sheet and roll smooth again. You definitely want this dough to go all the way to the edges of the parchment paper. Slowly and carefully lift off the waxed paper. Use the tip of a pointed knife to lift up two corners and with your hands, applying tension to keep the sheet stiff, carefully lift parchment, dough and all onto the baking sheet. If you cut it the right size, it should sit right down on the bottom nicely. Using your sharp knife, carefully (and gently since the dough is fragile) score the dough into cracker shapes (8 x 10, making 80 crackers total). Pop into your preheated 325º oven and bake for about 10-11 minutes or until lightly browned. The outer rows brown faster, so you will likely need to remove outer rows as soon as they are browned so those don’t get over-browned while the center ones finish cooking. Cool a few minutes and separate into separate crackers along your score lines.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 80 crackers, each cracker contains:
23.5 calories
1.98 g fat
.64 g carbs, .3 g fiber, .34 g NET CARBS
1.12 g protein
20.4 mg sodium

I made these this morning, adding 1/4 cup of ouizoids btf mix to see if i could achieve a "flaky" texture sort of like a cheezit. I used LindaSue tweak of making dough balls and flatening them with a can (jar in my case because I found the baking powder can made the crackers too thick) to get them wafer thin. They need to be brown to be awesome, but boy are they nice. The second pic shows the crackers removed from the silpat to cool.

Thanks Buttoni and LindaSue and the Almond thin thread originator!

Last edited by CarenL; 03-02-2013 at 09:21 AM..
Old 03-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #483
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
that looks great. Thanks for the photos and the parchment tips.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #484
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cnngrl
Stats: 160/160/140
Thank you will have to try this
Old 10-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #485
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
I didn't want to go through all the pages of this thread to see if a sour cream and onion version is burried somewhere already or not, but I gave that variation a shot today and they came out great! Here's a pic and the recipe:

This versatile cracker recipe has been tweaked and cooked so many different ways and seems to consistently cook up well for everyone that tries it. I doubled the amount of almond flour and substituted sour cream for the egg whites. I also added a bit of oat fiber for taste and also a bit of flax meal. I cooked these at 250º rather than my usual 350º for crackers. So glad I did, as these aren’t very good if overbrowned. My crackers came out GREAT! They’re delicious by themselves, but you could eat them with cheese as well. Definitely a keeper for us, this little cracker.

When baking these crackers, DO NOT over brown or they will lose a lot of the subtle onion flavor and just taste like toasted (or scorched) almonds. For this reason, do not be tempted to cook them at a higher temperature. TIP: The thinner you can roll them out the crisper they are, but thinner ones will take less cooking time, so check them often.

INGREDIENTS:

2 c. almond flour
1 T. oat fiber (not the same thing as oat bran or oat flour)
1 T. golden flax meal (optional but calculated below)
½ tsp. sea salt
2 tsp. onion powder
¼ c. finely minced chives or green onion tops
¼ c. sour cream (add 1-2 tsp. more if you can’t form a dough)

DIRECTIONS: Cut parchment about 10″x16″ and place on cookie sheet. Set aside until you are ready to form crackers. Preheat oven to 250º. No, that isn’t a typo, you want a slow oven for these as you DO NOT want them overbrowned. Measure all dry ingredients into a medium mixing bowl. Stir with a fork to blend. Add sour cream and keep stirring with your fork, blending int he sour cream evenly, stirring until the loose meal begins to form a unified mass of dough. It won’t clump into a single ball of dough, but all loose particles should adhere in large clumps of dough.

Place all the clumps of dough evenly onto parchment. Either using plastic gloves or baggie “gloves (or cover dough with waxed paper or more parchment, press or roll dough into a rectangle about 8″x 14″ (roughly the size of a legal sheet of paper). TIP: I hold a wide-bladed knife along the edges to press the dough up against and still keep the edges very straight. Score dough lightly with a sharp thin knife into 45 crackers (9×5). Pop into preheated 250º oven and bake for 50 minutes. I have you check here because ovens do vary and you don’t want to overbrown these. They will likely not be brown at all. Mine weren’t at this point, but appeared to be fully done through. I baked for 10 minutes more to a slightly brown stage. The crackers at the corners of the sheet browned a little more, which is how I discovered you do not want to overcook these. They just don’t taste as good. Remove pan from oven and press sharp knife along score lines to separate the crackers. Fully cool before eating as they get crisper as they cool off. Store in an air-tight container.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Entire recipe contains 1488 calories, 130 g fat, 62.4 g carbs, 31.7 g fiber, 30.7 g NET CARBS, 52.4 g protein. Divide by the number of crackers you get for your per cracker stats. I get 45 crackers, therefore 1/45th (each cracker) would contain:

33 calories
2.9 g fat
1.39 g carbs, .7 g fiber, .69 g NET CARBS
1.16 g protein
3 mg potassium
28.64 mg sodium
I've been "joansing" for a good salty snack...these look like they will fit the bill!
Old 10-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #486
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
Has anyone come up with a Chicken in a Biscuit/Basket yet?
Old 10-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #487
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/142.5/135
WOE: HCG
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 11/2013
I've used powdered chicken boullion to do that.