Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2007, 05:45 PM   #361
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 39,632
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Susan, I'm not sure how freezing would affect it, but slicing will most definitely be difficult to do - this needs to be VERY thin to cook to a nice crispy cracker! The thinner you can roll it out, the better the results, IMHO.

The first time I made them I didn't roll them out as thinly as recommended. The second time and successive times, I did. I liked the results MUCH better!
Charski is offline  

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2007, 07:26 AM   #362
Major LCF Poster!
 
retroworx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,173
Gallery: retroworx
Charski:

Ah! I was wondering why the fine baking minds here at LCF hadn't gone the freeze/slice route with these. Thanks for letting me know!

Susan
retroworx is offline  
Old 10-29-2007, 01:48 PM   #363
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 39,632
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Sure, Susan!

You could always TRY it but I think the results won't be what you're looking for unless you have a nice laser slicer! LOL!
Charski is offline  
Old 11-01-2007, 05:36 AM   #364
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,116
Gallery: CreekWatcher
It doesn't seem like freezing solid would work, but perhaps half (or less than half) freezing would help, as it does with slicing raw meat thinly.
CreekWatcher is offline  
Old 11-01-2007, 07:16 AM   #365
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,116
Gallery: CreekWatcher
oops--disregard last post--didn't get the sense of Susan's question.
CreekWatcher is offline  
Old 12-04-2007, 08:18 PM   #366
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 757
Gallery: ~mina~
I didnt roll.. I just plopped them onto a foil lined pan and pressed down on wax paper with my fingers DH said they taste like club crackers

~mina~ is offline  
Old 12-06-2007, 02:17 PM   #367
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
jacksmixedtape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: going to school in NC
Posts: 3,511
Gallery: jacksmixedtape
Stats: 160/140ish, 5'11"
WOE: gluten-free whole foods
Start Date: May 2007
These are great with half flax meal, and easy to make in the microwave, too!
jacksmixedtape is offline  
Old 02-15-2008, 08:28 PM   #368
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Emerald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 7,509
Gallery: Emerald
Stats: Nothing to see here folks....move along.
I'm so excited to stumble across this thread! I just got back from my local organic store and they sell almonds for $3.99 per lb. So I bought two.

I'm about to make the original recipe and pair it with artichoke, bacon and spinach dip. These should be wonderful with it. I really am not a fan of bacon puffs (pork rinds) so woohoo!!!
Emerald is offline  
Old 02-15-2008, 09:31 PM   #369
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Emerald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 7,509
Gallery: Emerald
Stats: Nothing to see here folks....move along.
I know I'm talking to myself but that's okay.

My first batch came out of the oven a few minutes ago and they are wonderful.

I'm going to make a triple batch tomorrow as DF likes them as well.


Yummy!!!!
Emerald is offline  
Old 02-16-2008, 03:41 PM   #370
Gadget Gal
 
Charski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mostly in the kitchen!
Posts: 39,632
Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Hey, I'll talk to ya!

I LOVE this recipe. Have used almond, walnut, hazelnut, and pecan meals and all are delicious! I have to watch it because they're SO delicious I could literally eat the whole batch!

I like mine with a schmear of cream cheese and a smoked baby clam or oyster on top....MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Charski is offline  
Old 02-16-2008, 04:46 PM   #371
Big Yapper!!!!
 
Emerald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 7,509
Gallery: Emerald
Stats: Nothing to see here folks....move along.
Quote:
Hey, I'll talk to ya!
Thank you!

Quote:
I LOVE this recipe. Have used almond, walnut, hazelnut, and pecan meals and all are delicious! I have to watch it because they're SO delicious I could literally eat the whole batch!
Oh boy, they are addictive! We ate the whole batch last night. Hence the batch in the oven right now. They smell so good. I'm going to try all the nuts you mentioned. I can't wait!!


Quote:
I like mine with a schmear of cream cheese and a smoked baby clam or oyster on top....MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

That sounds delish!!!

I'm so happy to have a cracker. I'm all giddy!
Emerald is offline  
Old 02-18-2008, 05:09 AM   #372
Blabbermouth!!!
 
daisyHair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Orlando
Posts: 6,291
Gallery: daisyHair
Stats: 257/228/140
WOE: Medi Weightloss
Start Date: 5' 4" 50 Years Old
I made these last night with a bit of a tweek.. I used 1/2 C almond flour, 1/3 C flax meal and 2 T sesame seeds..
added salt, onion powder and garlic powder..
I did it in two batches (I have silpat mats and they are too small for one batch all together).. they were FANTASTIC!!!! I was very suprised.. Patrick was still talking about (and eating) them at 11:30 last night..

They are going to be a regular in my house!

thanks for this wonderful recipe!

Cary~
daisyHair is offline  
Old 02-18-2008, 08:02 AM   #373
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Chicago burbs
Posts: 309
Gallery: RVlady
To make these really easy, I cover my hand with a plastic sandwich bag and pat out the mixture on a quick release foil sheet. I just keep pushing, patting and squeezing until the entire cookie sheet is full. I bake it whole and then break it up into crackers after it is cool. very easy and much less time. I use quite a bit of sesame seeds in them also.

Connie
RVlady is offline  
Old 02-18-2008, 03:46 PM   #374
lcq
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
lcq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: FAR FAR AWAY
Posts: 4,519
Gallery: lcq
Stats: 5'5": 285.4-269.6 - 198
WOE: Atkins Low Carb / VLC
Start Date: Starting for the Gazillionth time!! - 4Mar10 285.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlady View Post
To make these really easy, I cover my hand with a plastic sandwich bag and pat out the mixture on a quick release foil sheet. I just keep pushing, patting and squeezing until the entire cookie sheet is full. I bake it whole and then break it up into crackers after it is cool. very easy and much less time. I use quite a bit of sesame seeds in them also.

Connie


Ditto.......i just break them up into pieces too.......waaay easier than scoring and breaking into equal bits.

This is my all time favourite LC recipe ..... i ate alot of crackers before LCing and I used to feel deprived when I had to give them up...now I have crackers again for my chicken salad, egg salad, tuna paste, cheese paste...i could go on & on

Oh yea....I make mine with peanut meal....i actually prefer them now than almond meal

Last edited by lcq; 02-18-2008 at 03:47 PM..
lcq is offline  
Old 08-09-2008, 09:34 AM   #375
Major LCF Poster!
 
DEEDLYNN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,761
Gallery: DEEDLYNN
ALMOND THINS...meet TEDDY GRAHAMS

I stumbled on this thread and couldn't wait to try this. Unfortunately, no almond flour in the house.

But...I did have PB2, which is basically peanut flour.

I used PB2 to replace the almond flour and then everything but the salt.

After it was rolled out. I poured a little SF Davinci syrup in my hands, rubbed them together and patted the dough. Wasn't sure if I might not get too much by "brushing" it on...but I think it could have used a little more.

I then sprinkled a little cinnamon on them.

Baked....and OMG...these need to go somewhere quick or I know where they will be.

Now...I'm not much of a cook, so, I never really got it rolled out in a nice rectangle. But, the crumbly outside edges....they are in a little container to sprinkle on my yogurt.

I can't wait to get almond flour and try a savory recipe. I miss crackers!!!

So glad I found this thread.

DEEDLYNN is offline  
Old 08-11-2008, 03:46 AM   #376
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Determinedtolose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 15,132
Gallery: Determinedtolose
These sound good too! I haven't tried them, but I know they have to be good. I love the Almond Thins too!!

CINNAMON THINS
3 ounces almond flour, 3/4 cup
4 teaspoons granular Splenda (try 8 teaspoons)
1 egg white
Pinch salt (try 1/8 teaspoon)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (try 1/2 teaspoon)
1/8 teaspoon vanilla

Topping:
1 teaspoon granular Splenda
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon

Make the same as for the Almond Thins, but sprinkle the topping over the dough before baking. Spread the topping evening over the dough with your hand.

Makes about 48-64 crackers

Per batch: 532 Calories; 43g Fat; 21g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 12g Net Carbs
Per 8 crackers: 67 Calories; 5g Fat; 3g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 2g Net Carbs
Determinedtolose is offline  
Old 08-11-2008, 05:52 PM   #377
Way too much time on my hands!
 
pocahontas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: living the SLO life
Posts: 15,988
Gallery: pocahontas
I havent made these in years. I just threw a batch in the oven and I cant wait.
pocahontas is offline  
Old 08-23-2008, 04:13 PM   #378
Senior LCF Member
 
WyomingDiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Wyoming USA
Posts: 50
Gallery: WyomingDiva
Stats: 289.6/230/180
WOE: Low carb/Atkins
Start Date: 04/2005
These look wonderful - thanks for the idea!!
WyomingDiva is offline  
Old 01-25-2009, 01:55 PM   #379
Senior LCF Member
 
togee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Matthews NC
Posts: 182
Gallery: togee
WOE: Adkins
Start Date: May 10th, 2008
Wow, these look and sound wonderful.I also miss crackers. All I have right now is almond meal.Could I use this in the recipe? Just bought some Fiesta Spinach and Artichoke dip mix( you mix a 1/4 c with 8 ozs of cream cheese)(comes in a jar) at Home Economist for the Super Bowl, now I'll have a dipper for it. Dean and Delucas carries it too, its really Good.
togee is offline  
Old 01-25-2009, 04:18 PM   #380
lcq
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
lcq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: FAR FAR AWAY
Posts: 4,519
Gallery: lcq
Stats: 5'5": 285.4-269.6 - 198
WOE: Atkins Low Carb / VLC
Start Date: Starting for the Gazillionth time!! - 4Mar10 285.4
Chocolate covered almond thins

OK almond thin/Chocolate fans........I did this the other day and it tasted great........all I did was put a piece of SF chocolate on each warm (already cooked) almond thin square.....then when it got soft just spread the chocolate with a knife (only on one side though) and then put them in the fridge to cool........Delish combo of crunch & chocolate
lcq is offline  
Old 01-26-2009, 03:15 AM   #381
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Determinedtolose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 15,132
Gallery: Determinedtolose
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcq View Post
OK almond thin/Chocolate fans........I did this the other day and it tasted great........all I did was put a piece of SF chocolate on each warm (already cooked) almond thin square.....then when it got soft just spread the chocolate with a knife (only on one side though) and then put them in the fridge to cool........Delish combo of crunch & chocolate
That sounds fantastic!! I may have to try that one. Thanks for posting!
Determinedtolose is offline  
Old 01-26-2009, 06:24 AM   #382
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
mac24312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Far SW Virginia
Posts: 3,563
Gallery: mac24312
Stats: 250/130/140
WOE: Stella Style/My OWN LC WOL ;]/Maintenance
Start Date: October 07 2006 Over 6 years on Atkins ;]
Subbing

HUGS!
mac24312 is offline  
Old 01-27-2009, 09:35 AM   #383
Blabbermouth!!!
 
vli1127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 5,076
Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
I love how these old threads recycle.
vli1127 is offline  
Old 01-27-2009, 04:51 PM   #384
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Determinedtolose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 15,132
Gallery: Determinedtolose
Quote:
Originally Posted by vli1127 View Post
I love how these old threads recycle.
Me too!
Determinedtolose is offline  
Old 01-27-2009, 08:44 PM   #385
Major LCF Poster!
 
retroworx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,173
Gallery: retroworx
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEDLYNN View Post
I used PB2 to replace the almond flour and then everything but the salt. :
Hmmm, I just tried a PB2 version (no davinci, but did sprinkle tops lightly with salt) and didn't get anything crunchy/cracker-like at all. Just kind of rubbery.

I used boxed liquid egg white (not egg beaters -- real egg white with no additives) -- could this somehow be the difference? The pasteurized egg white vs fresh??

ETA: Hey! These crisped up when they were totally cooled and for some reason taste an awful lot like fried chinese noodles -- you know the greasy totally crunchy freebies they automatically put on the table. Wonder if they cook those in peanut oil and that's why the taste is reminiscent? Now if I could only whip up some duck sauce.
__________________
-Retroworx

Last edited by retroworx; 01-27-2009 at 09:11 PM..
retroworx is offline  
Old 01-29-2009, 11:20 AM   #386
Major LCF Poster!
 
retroworx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,173
Gallery: retroworx
Calling Almond Thins Experts:

I made these with straight almond flour the other day, just as post #1 in this epic thread described , and they were very potato-chippy when rolled out paper thin. Crispy, crunchy, flaky, somewhat fragile -- just like a thin chip should be.

Too caloric for my plan, but I'm thinking these would be good for Superbowl friends on Sunday. So, finally to my question (which may have been answered here before but I'm too lazy to read all 13 pages right now )

Will these stay crunchy over a span of several days? If I make a huge batch of these as chips (thinner than cracker consistency) today or tomorrow, do you think they will stay as dry and crunchy by Sunday's game? Any particular storage tips/methods you'd like to share?

Thanks!
retroworx is offline  
Old 01-29-2009, 12:22 PM   #387
lcq
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
lcq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: FAR FAR AWAY
Posts: 4,519
Gallery: lcq
Stats: 5'5": 285.4-269.6 - 198
WOE: Atkins Low Carb / VLC
Start Date: Starting for the Gazillionth time!! - 4Mar10 285.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroworx View Post
Calling Almond Thins Experts:

I made these with straight almond flour the other day, just as post #1 in this epic thread described , and they were very potato-chippy when rolled out paper thin. Crispy, crunchy, flaky, somewhat fragile -- just like a thin chip should be.

Too caloric for my plan, but I'm thinking these would be good for Superbowl friends on Sunday. So, finally to my question (which may have been answered here before but I'm too lazy to read all 13 pages right now )

Will these stay crunchy over a span of several days? If I make a huge batch of these as chips (thinner than cracker consistency) today or tomorrow, do you think they will stay as dry and crunchy by Sunday's game? Any particular storage tips/methods you'd like to share?

Thanks!

Absolutely....once they are completely cooled you can store them either in a ziplock bag or any airtight container.....mine stay crisp for weeks and I live in a very humid climate.......I store mine in a large glass recycled pickle bottle
lcq is offline  
Old 01-29-2009, 12:55 PM   #388
Major LCF Poster!
 
retroworx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,173
Gallery: retroworx
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcq View Post
Absolutely....once they are completely cooled you can store them either in a ziplock bag or any airtight container.....mine stay crisp for weeks and I live in a very humid climate.......I store mine in a large glass recycled pickle bottle
Excellent news -- let the chipping begin!

Thanks, LCQ.
retroworx is offline  
Old 01-29-2009, 01:12 PM   #389
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 615
Gallery: Mallory
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroworx View Post
Hmmm, I just tried a PB2 version (no davinci, but did sprinkle tops lightly with salt) and didn't get anything crunchy/cracker-like at all. Just kind of rubbery.

I used boxed liquid egg white (not egg beaters -- real egg white with no additives) -- could this somehow be the difference? The pasteurized egg white vs fresh??

ETA: Hey! These crisped up when they were totally cooled and for some reason taste an awful lot like fried chinese noodles -- you know the greasy totally crunchy freebies they automatically put on the table. Wonder if they cook those in peanut oil and that's why the taste is reminiscent? Now if I could only whip up some duck sauce.
Hey retroworx,

Kevin has a low carb duck sauce already invented!!!
Mallory is offline  
Old 01-29-2009, 02:59 PM   #390
Way too much time on my hands!
 
LindaSue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 10,609
Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
I agree with Lisa. I store mine in an airtight container in the pantry and they stay crisp for a very long time. If I'm not going to use them right away I freeze them because nuts will eventually turn rancid. Don't store them in ziploc bags. Those aren't really airtight. They're fine for taking some with you if you're going somewhere for the day but not good for long-term storage.
LindaSue is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:06 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.