Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2003, 08:15 AM   #91
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LinnAnne
Stats: 166.2
WOE: moderate carbs to low carbs
Start Date: January 1995
To Wendy

Hi Wendy!
I cannot believe how much we have in common! I am hypothyroid also and have struggled with so many diet and lifestyle plans only to lose nothing or lose and gain it back again.
You are inspirational to me!!
Congats to you on how well you have done!!!
What exactly are you eating? Do you avoid certain foods?
My meds are Eltroxin 125 mg and Cytomel(just started at 0.5mg)
What do you take?

Thanks!
Linn

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2003, 05:39 PM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tammay
Stats: 188/188/123
WOE: SBD Vegetarian
Start Date: Jan 2002 (restarted: 6/1/11)
A huge THANKS for this sticky - I was also in search of alternatives to breakfast ideas because I'm starting to get sick of eggs every morning. Unfortunately, leftovers usually aren't an optiion for me because I live alone and I cook for myself every weekend for the whole week and everything is divided up during the week so I usually have no leftovers!

However, I wanted to add an idea here that I've found helpful. When I was doing South Beach Diet, I came across a recipe for Quiche Cups (basic quiche in muffin tin instead of a regular casserole dish) and I found that they're a snap to make and I freeze them for the whole week. Bellow is the recipe I use which is an LC modification (since SBD is low-fat friendly as well as low-carb :-). Hopefully someone will find it useful.

Quiche Cups
3 eggs
2 tbsp heavy cream
salt, pepper, and any other spices you like
3/4 cup grated cheese (I usually use chedder/jack combo)
any veggies/meats you like

Beat eggs, cream, and spices until well blended. Add veggies. Pour into 6-cup muffin tin greased or sprayed with Pam. Bake on 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes.

I've printed out the chocolate mock danish and faux cream of wheat recipes and I'm anxious to try them!

Tam
Old 12-14-2003, 09:36 PM   #93
Rachimov

Gallery: Rachimov
Salad for Breakfast

I am addicted to this salad I have every morning that is really easy. I buy a big thing of that organic spring lettuce mix from Costo and really good parmesan cheese and a log of good salami. I chop up about an ounce each of the cheese and the sausage and toss in three or four toasted pecans. I salt and pepper and then toss with olive oil and a few drops of vinegar. It is very filling and really good. If I am feeling adventurous, I poach and egg and omit the vinegar. Toss the egg over the top and toss in the egg yolk with the olive oil and eat. You can also omit the salami and add chopped cooked bacon.

Old 12-22-2003, 07:12 AM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Legend
Stats: 250/199/150
WOE: HCG
Has anyone tried the Keto Frosted Flakes Cereal ??

Good/Bad? I'm considering it for a breakfast alternative however, I'm hesitant never having tried this brand before.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:31 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MrsPolly
Stats: 184/158/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 10/15/03
Hats off to LindaSue for her BLUEBERRY PANCAKES recipe! They are wonderful! Much better than the Atkins mix which I think has an odd taste. You can find LindaSue's great recipes at

http://webpages.charter.net/genaws3/

Polly

Started Atkins 10/13/03

184/167/140
Old 12-31-2003, 09:19 PM   #96

Gallery:
Wendysmiling,
Thanks for posting that web site. I found it very helpful. I have been stalled for several months and I've watched my friends continue to lose and reach thier goals. I've been frustrated but I'm sure it was nothing compared to the frustration you must have felt. I really admire your courage. Thanks again and you look beautiful!

Old 12-31-2003, 10:02 PM   #97

Gallery:
Wendysmiling,
Thanks for posting that web site. I found it very helpful. I have been stalled for several months and I've watched my friends continue to lose and reach thier goals. I've been frustrated but I'm sure it was nothing compared to the frustration you must have felt. I really admire your courage. Thanks again and you look beautiful!

Old 01-15-2004, 07:43 PM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BFL Chick
Stats: 2001:192 2008:132
Start Date: 1/01 Atkins
I love to eat fish for breakfast...salmon, or anything else.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:26 AM   #99
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: prosend
I don't eat eggs so I have had a real challenge with breakfast.

I have finally settled on a slice of low carb bread toasted, can range from 3 carbs Atkins to 9 carbs depending on brand.

I put peanut butter on it for some protein and I have half an apple.

I also have a mug of hot tea with 1 pkt of splenda.

This meal is less than 10 carbs usually. I am not sure it has enough protein. Some time i have a couple of pieces of bacon to jazz it up.

I am a person who likes to have the same thing for breakfast everyday so keep that in mind I don't have to think so much that way.

I used to eat a bowl of Cheerios, for over 35 years at least, everyday. That's been tough to overcome.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:14 PM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: velvetns
Stats: 149/130/125
Start Date: January 02, 2004
New breakfast

I am not big on eggs and am on the go - so I take two stalks of celery, cut them in half and fill them with cream cheese and sometime some lox (if you like that) also my other favorite is a slice of tomato, half a piece of bacon and a little mozzarella on top, ummm.

Blend a 1/4 cup berries, 1/4 cup heavy cream and some ice, two packets of splenda for a shake.

I also melt pepper jack cheese on a sausage pattie. I am not sure what you like but I like to have a tasty bite in the morning so I throw together anything I like!
Old 01-27-2004, 06:46 AM   #101
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gtoo
Stats: 137
Start Date: 1-13-03
Yesterday I made the crustless brocolli/cheese/bacon quiche for breakfast and added a small amount of cooked breakfast sausage, and my picky also-on-Atkins husband loved it! He's a real meat and eggs big breakfast guy, but eventually does ask for variations.

I also like...

Celery filled with low carb peanut butter (Carb Solutions isn't bad)

Crisp bacon crumbled into deviled eggs

Romaine lettuce tossed with grated parmesan cheese, blue cheese crumbles and a small amount of roasted pecans topped with low carb italian dressing ( I use this for breakfast, lunch or salad for dinner)

Last edited by gtoo; 01-27-2004 at 06:47 AM..
Old 01-27-2004, 11:10 AM   #102
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: EllieKat
Stats: 161/144/135
Start Date: 2/16/10
I am also beginning to detest the sight and smell of eggs. One thing I like to do is to take a peice of meat, ham, turkey or roast beef and spread it with cream cheese and a few spices and roll it up. Very good for breakfast or anytime!!

Elissa
160/150/135
Old 01-27-2004, 03:50 PM   #103
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Songbird55
Stats: 215/204/150
Start Date: 1/13/04
I'm allergic to eggs so I usually eat LeCarb Yogurt (3 grams) with FlaxOMeal Granola (1 gram). It's really yummy and fast!
Old 01-28-2004, 04:08 PM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sandee
Stats: 155/136/125
Start Date: Jan. 2003
I made these sausage "muffins" the other day and the family loved them! I got the recipe somewhere on this board.

2 lbs. sausage, browned
9 eggs, beaten
2 cups shredded cheese (Italian blend or cheddar)
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup soy protein isolate or Atkins Mix

Mix together. Fill muffin cups. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes. Makes 24 - 30 muffins. They did great when reheated the next few days.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:13 PM   #105
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Sandee, the sausage muffins sound great. Did they really only take 15 minutes for yours to bake? When I make my Tuna Muffins, they bake for 30 minutes, but at 350. This gives me an idea for something else to use the CarbSense bake mix I bought the other day.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:03 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: guruliz
Stats: started at 216 then reinduct at 202/193/130
Start Date: re induct 1/5/04
here is my version of the sausage muffins.. but I call them...

Sausage-Garlic-Cheddar Biscuits

3/4 cup Atkins bake mix
1 egg
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons garlic powder (more or less to taste)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 lb bulk sausage (Jimmy Dean is the lowest-carb, I think)

Crumble and fry the sausage till well browned; drain. Mix together the first 4 ingredients, then add the cheese and cooked sausage. Drop into 12 biscuits on greased cookie sheet, and bake at 400 degrees until golded brown – about 10 - 12 minutes.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:07 AM   #107
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gtoo
Stats: 137
Start Date: 1-13-03
Those biscuits and muffins sound great, maybe I'll try them this weekend.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:52 AM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriWants2Lose
Stats: 228.6/192/155
Start Date: October 12, 2012
I just had a breakfast pizza this morning. It was to die for. This made me not even miss real pizza (one of my big downfalls in my life before low carb). It was also very filling and low carbs and calories for the amount of food.

My daughter and I are testing out different modified recipes for a book we are working on and this is definitely going into the book. Here is the recipe we came up with. It may still need some tweaking

Here is the recipe:

2 eggs
2 TB pizza sauce (I used canned Chef Boy Ardee with 1 carb)
1 slice of Canadian Bacon fried very crisp
4 slices of pepperoni
Asst. of veggies to suit your taste
2 oz. mozarella cheese
1 oz. parmessan cheese (can use jar variety)
1 TB oil
1 tsp Basil
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Garlic Powder

In a frying pan, cook Canadian bacon, onions or any other veggies.

In a bowl, combine veggies of your choice (I used black olives, mushrooms, a handful of tomatoes and cooked onions and peppers).

Beat eggs. Add basil, oregano, and garlic powder. Mix thoroughly. Using the grease from the bacon (add a bit of olive oil if necessary), pour the eggs into preheated pan over medium/low heat. Cook until not running and flip over. Turn heat to low or warm.

Cover with pizza sauce, dump the bowl of combined veggies on top of pizza sauce. Add pepperoni and Canadian bacon (I just mixed these with my veggie mixture).

Shake on Parmesan to taste, top with mozarella cheese. Cover pan with lid and cook on low until cheese is melted. Very tasty alternative to breakfast. If you can get your children past the fact that it is made from eggs, they love this!

"We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." ~ Oscar Wilde

First goal: Onederland - reached Dec. 2012
Next goal: 180s (not been there in 15 years!)
Final goal: 155 (within the healthy range for 5'7")
Old 02-04-2004, 02:36 PM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MsKimber
Stats: 16/8/10-12 - 5'5" - 41
WOE: Atkins/Gluten-free
Start Date: Dec 03
Quote:
Originally posted by kdog41
CJ's Breakfast Pudding

Serving Size : 2 (I eat it all )
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/3 cup ricotta cheese
1 egg
3 tablespoons half and half
1 tablespoon flax seed meal
vanilla sugar-free syrup to taste
1 pinch cinnamon

Mix first three ingredients together in a saucepan - cook stirring over medium heat until thick. Add Flax and syrup. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Makes enough for two servings.

Per Serving: 149 Calories; 11g Fat (67.3% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 123mg Cholesterol; 71mg Sodium.
Thank you very much kdog41 for posting this recipe. I absolutely LOVE this stuff for breakfast. I even have it everyonce in awhile for dinner if I'm really craving something sweet!
Old 02-05-2004, 08:48 PM   #110
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kitsa
Stats: yuck/meh/good , 5'1", small frame
WOE: low-carb/lacto-ovo vegetarian
Start Date: 2005-06 (almost 100 lbs!), back 2012 after 3 kids
That breakfast pudding sounds good. I'll try that.

Before I decided to change my eating habits, I'd skip breakfast at home and grab it in the cafeteria at work. Not only was this expensive, it was also DANGEROUS (as in, "one slice of pecan pie won't hurt!") I decided that if I was going to lose any weight, the cafeteria and its tempting array of treats was going to have to go.

I'm usually in a hurry in the morning, so I don't have any time to fix anything. I grab one serving of Atkins Banana Nut Flakes with a little bit of skim milk and one strawberry chopped up in there. If that doesn't fill me up, I also grab half a glass of chocolate Carb Countdown. I have a sweet tooth and it takes a lot of willpower to stay on track. The whole thing averages out to about 10 carbs, and I eat mostly fruits and veggies the rest of the day, so it turns out okay.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:41 AM   #111
stephanie9999

Gallery: stephanie9999
I like sausage balls with salsa.

You can make the sausage ball ahead of time. It is a quick breakfast. You can also just make it a casserole with this recipe if you prefer.

6 eggs scrambled in butter or margarine
12 oz of bulk sausage or links
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1/2 finely chopped green pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1-1/2 cup mock baking mix
2 cups sharp cheddar shredded cheese

Mix all together. Form into 1 inch balls and baked for about 20min in 375 degree oven. (makes about 50). For casserole, just put in casserole dish (guess 9x9?) and bake for 20 mintues or until browned. Add more cheese on top if desired. You can also cut these into bars for a quick grab and go. If you want to add a little kick dip in salsa.

Old 02-14-2004, 08:09 AM   #112
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: LCRedhead
Stats: Total Lost 9.5
WOE: SS
Start Date: Aug. 22, 2008
Left over Pizza was always my favorite breafast as a kid.

Now as a semi-grown up my favortie is left over deep dish LC Pizza

I don't taste the eggs and best of all its induction friendly
Old 02-23-2004, 01:54 PM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bryarsmom
Start Date: January 2004
Here's a few things I bring to the office...

I usually start out with a cheese or veggie omelet-topped with Rotelle. It gives it that something extra.

About 10 or 11 am I'll have some of Dannon's new 3 carb yogurt, with a few fresh blackberries, raspberries or strawberries. I also keep string cheese handy and whole almonds for a little protein hit.

I cheat once a week, and indulge in a Cracker Barrell apple-bran muffin-with no ill-effects.

I'm not opposed to a little tossed salad in the mid-mornings too.
Variety, variety variety keeps you hoppin' !
Old 03-04-2004, 08:23 AM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Static-D
Stats: 287/260/ maybe 220? (make it a waypoint)
Start Date: Jan 1 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by JuliaL
I have 1/2 c of strawberries with cream or half and half and splenda. I also have a couple of sausage links or patties. Of course you can't eat strawberries during induction, but you said you're at the last 15 lbs., so I assume you're past induction. I'm doing OWL with about 25-30 carbs per day.
Iam confused. How many strawberries are in a cup? is there a weight that's equivalent to a cup...say like a pound or something?
Old 03-04-2004, 08:43 AM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bryarsmom
Start Date: January 2004
1 cup =8 ounces.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:18 AM   #116
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
If you're talking about a cup of sliced strawberries, the USDA site says they'd weigh about 166 grams which equals just under 6 ounces.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:43 PM   #117
cristina

Gallery: cristina
breakfast

I like to Brown Ground Turkey in a skillet with olive oil, curry (hot, or something spicy), ground pepper and salt. Then I add about 1 tablespoon of Mayo. Very good and extremely filling.

Old 03-14-2004, 03:47 PM   #118
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MizLiz
Stats: 215/165/140
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: August 2003
Some good ideas here I want to try. I might eat eggs once a week or less for breakfast. Some mornings, I have to grab on the go, so it's a low carb shake and string cheese or low carb muffin. (Total breakfast under 5 carbs)

Others:
Low carb toast with peanut butter

French toast made with Atkins bread machine sourdough bread. This is soooo good. (1 egg, Tbsp of cream, dash of salt, 1 pkt of splenda, dash of vanilla, dash of cinnamon. Fry up in butter. Top with sugar free syrup) I figure two slices/servings of bread works out to about 10 carbs or so. Nice splurge/weekend break.

Le Tortilla Factory tortilla with cream cheese

Make ahead breakfast buritos: eggs, cheese, sausage or bacon, salt/pepper, wrap in tortilla. I make a big batch and freeze. Grab one out, microwave and go.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:49 PM   #119
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: javalishus
Stats: 282/275/150
Start Date: re-start 1-26 2006
breakfast

Don't be afraid to think outside the box. I love a can of sardines in mustard sauce for breakfast. It's loaded with protein, Omega 3, calcioum (bones) and 0 carbs. I also love the Dobie muffin's warm with butter. Recipe is available in recipe section.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:55 AM   #120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: NorthernNisse
Stats: 234/180/180 5'7.5"
WOE: Atkins '72
I originally posted this on the appetizer board, but boy did it make a great breakfast. So easy to make ahead and cut up into squares. We had a party last night and I made a double batch. They would have all been gone, but I put some aside for myself.

Artichoke Cheese Squares

2 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup onion - minced
2 cloves garlic - minced
4 eggs
1 jar (10 ounce) artichoke hearts - drained and chopped
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
2 teaspoons dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Dash of Tabasco sauce

Heat oil in skillet and saute onion and garlic until soft and translucent but not brown.
Beat eggs in bowl and add chopped artichoke hearts.
Stir in remaining of ingredients and mix well.
Pour into 8x8 greased baking dish.
Bake at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes until set.
Let cool before and cut into squares.

*This appetizer is very versatile and you can add in cooked bacon, sausage, ham, shrimp, etc.

Last edited by NorthernNisse; 03-19-2004 at 07:01 AM..