Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2003, 11:23 AM   #61
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: blue_monday_88
Stats: Jeans are tight...really tight
WOE: Anything that doesn't eat me first
Start Date: February 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by DiamondDeb
Sorry! I never did Atkins...or induction!
DiamondDeb, what did you do, out of curiosity (sorry for the thread jack!).

Also -- I concur w/ the cheesecake -- nothing like it in the WORLD for breakfast!
I also eat Atkins flakes, which you have to order from the web site...they are really good...(not sure if they are sold on netrition)
berries are delish for the AM as well...

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2003, 11:24 AM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kissyfur19
Stats: 295/273/160
WOE: Low Carb - my own thing
Start Date: Re-Started 7/8/14
I've done the breakfast quiche twice now....and love it!! It's easy to make on the weekends and then keep in the fridge all week.

5 eggs (scrambled)
1 cup of heavy cream
1 cup of cheese (I prefer cheddar & american)
6 ozs of breakfast meats (ham, bacon, sausage - or a combo of all of them)

Preheat oven at 350. Mix all incredients together and pour into a greased pie pan. Bake for 30-40 mins (until golden and firm in the middle). remove - let cool - and refigerate. Slice what you need, when you need it. I've even been taking it to work to heat up in the microwave there! It's great!!
Old 09-01-2003, 11:31 AM   #63
NewMe2B

Gallery: NewMe2B
Wanted to say hello - first time with Atkins, just started a week ago. Lost 4 lbs.

Anyway, in answer to the question, here is what I have been doing for the past week.

I finely dice some onion, pepper (red or green) and mushrooms and keep it in a covered container in the fridge. Then each morning, I nuke 2 pieces of bacon for 2 minutes. While it's cooking, I beat one egg and add a tablespoon of the veggie mixture and a wedge of laughing cow cheese that I cut into slices (or you can use any shredded cheese you like or cream cheese). I add the cheese, garlic salt and pepper. Pour into a sprayed custard dish and nuke for 1 min. 15 seconds. I tear the bacon pieces in half and place on top of the eggs, cover with foil and bring to work with me. It only takes 5 minutes tops, and it's very tasty.

Or, if you don't want eggs, you can take a couple pieces of deli ham, turkey, roast beef, etc. and slice or two of cheese and make rollups. What I like about this plan is that I'm filled and satisfied until lunchtime without the mid-morning tummy growls that I used to get from high-carb foods.

Old 09-01-2003, 03:15 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: xbuffyx
Stats: 270/220/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: September 1, 2003
Thanks for all of the wonderful suggestions!!! Leftovers are excellent - tomorrow will be easy since I just grilled some smoked sausages. I can't wait until I can have cereal again, I love dry cereal to eat in the car, I have an hour or more commute!

As far as time, I guess it's all about being organized and prepared - which I'm not! I never have been and just like low carb is a commitment, so will getting my butt up earlier and doing what I have to do. I already have to adjust to getting up earlier to work out, so I may as well squeeze in extra time to eat. I am always rushing and running late!

I haven't tried microwaving bacon, I wasn't sure if I could do that. That would certainly make it faster! I am used to doing it in the oven the old fashioned way but if I mike it, I could do it!

The precooked bacon sounds great! I just need to take some time and really shop and prepare. After I get used to getting up to exercise then I will be energized and able to fix something to eat too.

Thanks again! I'm going to check out the Recipes section!
Old 09-01-2003, 03:51 PM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockeyrules
Stats: 2002-2004: 195/164/130
WOE: Atkins mixed w/ JUDDD
Start Date: 7/15/11 212/190/150
I had some very early classes this year & needed to be able to eat in the car.

So I took:

- deviled eggs in tupperware
- deli meat rolled with deli cheese & a dill pickle spear or a red or green pepper spear
- cold frittata
- string cheese & slim jims
- celery or red peppers or cucumber slices with cream cheese
- hard boiled eggs

Also, on Sundays I generally cook up a pound of bacon & put the leftovers in a ziploc bag. Then I just microwave a few slices on a paper towel for breakfast for the rest of the week.

Once you get past induction, peanut butter on celery or just a handful of nuts is a change of pace.

Good luck to you!
Old 09-20-2003, 08:37 PM   #66

Gallery:
What's for breakfast?

I'm bored with eggs-what else can I have? Any interesting new things to do with egges? Thanks!

Old 09-20-2003, 11:09 PM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: NorthernNisse
Stats: 234/180/180 5'7.5"
WOE: Atkins '72
bump

Last edited by NorthernNisse; 09-20-2003 at 11:11 PM..
Old 09-20-2003, 11:14 PM   #68
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I bumped a breakfast thread for you.

Josie
Old 09-20-2003, 11:17 PM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

bump
Old 09-20-2003, 11:20 PM   #70
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

bump
Old 09-21-2003, 05:32 AM   #71
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Leftovers! I rarely ever have eggs for breakfast, unless they are in a quiche. Breakfast can be anything you've got in the fridge, even a salad.
Old 09-21-2003, 07:22 AM   #72

Gallery:
Thanks Josie, I appreciate it!

Old 09-21-2003, 07:34 AM   #73
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: treadle
Stats: 190.4/149/150
WOE: Weight Watchers
Start Date: 1/18/10
veggie breakfast

I'm on a "get more veggies in me" kick. Sooo...I cooked up a BUNCH of asparagus, broccoli and mushrooms to have in the refrigerator. I just don't eat them as much if they're not ready. Now for breakfast I chop a few of each...saute them in butter and add only one egg and scramble up. You don't taste the egg really..it's just a binder. I have been adding different seasonings to make it different each time. Very good and good for you!!
Old 10-02-2003, 03:17 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sheida
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/3/2003
How about french toast with low carb bread or a breakfast burrito with low carb tortillas? Low carb muffins are good too.
Old 10-11-2003, 02:56 PM   #75
KarenH

Gallery: KarenH
I did eggs for 1 week and couldn't do it anymore. The Breakfast Strawberry Crepe recipe on this website is wonderful. I usually just grab an Adkins Creamy Vanilla Shake on the way out. It tastes good and I don't get hungry till noon.

Old 10-12-2003, 04:39 AM   #76
chubbyeci

Gallery: chubbyeci
i have this oriental recipe, awfully simple, basically just stir fry.

oriental scramble

ingredients:
2 eggs, beaten
1 carrot, sliced
1 med onion, sliced
half a handful of bean sprouts
spring onions, cut
soy sauce
oyster sauce
ground chili
ground pepper
very little oil

method:
heat oil, then sautee onion, followed by carrot, bean sprouts and eggs. then add the following in order: soy sauce, oyster sauce, ground chilli and ground pepper to taste. keep stirring till bean sprouts turn soft. lift from pan, garnish with spring onions.

btw, heard that slim jims are the unhealthiest food on earth because of loads of preservatives in them. is it true?

Old 10-12-2003, 06:05 AM   #77

I'm sure there are worse things you could eat than a Slim Jim, but they are loaded with salt and sugar as well as other junk. I suppose they can be handy to carry around with you for emergencies though.
Old 10-17-2003, 01:43 PM   #78

CAULIFLOWER HASH BROWNS
12 ounces grated fresh cauliflower (about 1/2 a medium)
4 slices bacon, chopped
3 ounces chopped onion (about 1/2 cup)*
1-2 tablespoons butter (optional)
Salt and pepper, to taste

In a medium-large nonstick skillet, cook the bacon and onion until they just start to brown. Add the cauliflower; cook and stir until the cauliflower is tender and nicely browned all over. You can add a couple tablespoons of butter during cooking. This will speed up the browning and add nice flavor. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Makes 4 servings (4 usable carbs each)

I had some grated cauliflower and a few slices of bacon left over from the Spanish "Rice" and Hamburger recipe I'd made last night so I got the idea to make this for breakfast this morning. My husband loved them served with a couple of fried eggs. Because the cauliflower was cold from the fridge, I warmed it up a little in the microwave (about 2 minutes on HIGH) before adding to the skillet. I'm sure that shortened the cooking time a bit.

* INDUCTION: This could be made suitable for Induction if you cut back on the onion. If you make this with 1 ounce onion, the carb count would be 3 usable carbs per serving.
Old 10-17-2003, 01:50 PM   #79

When I made this yesterday, I thought it would make a nice snack, but when I ate a piece this morning, it hit me that it would make a great breakfast bar. It's very filling and would be easy to take with you in the car on the way to work. It's much tastier than one of those Atkins bars and no mystery ingredients.

CHOCOLATE SNACK CAKE
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated Splenda or 1 3/4 teaspoons liquid Splenda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup cocoa, sifted
5 eggs
6 ounces ground almonds, sifted if lumpy (about 2 cups)

Grease an 11x7" baking pan. In a medium bowl, beat pumpkin, Splenda, baking powder, salt, vanilla and cocoa with electric mixer. Beat in the eggs on high speed until well blended. Beat in ground almonds. Spread in baking pan and bake at 350º about 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and edges of cake start to pull away from sides of pan. The top of the cake may have some small cracks. Cool at least 15 minutes before cutting.

Makes 18 servings

With granulated Splenda: (18 servings - 5.5 carbs each or 3.5 usable carbs)
With liquid Splenda (18 servings - 4 carbs each or 2 usable carbs)

This was an experiment using Dottie's Pumpkin Pound Cake as the base, adding cocoa and using liquid Splenda instead of granulated. You don't really taste the pumpkin, but it gives the cake moistness. I don't know if powdered Splenda would produce a different texture or not. I sifted my almond meal because it was rather lumpy, but then added the coarser bits back in. This gives the cake a little bit of a crunchy texture. You could either leave out the coarse almond bits or grind them a bit finer for a softer texture. This is definitely not a traditional chocolate cake or brownie, but would make a nice snack. I may experiment further with this recipe by adding some grated orange peel or maybe some instant coffee powder for a mocha flavor.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:00 PM   #80
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DesertRoseQueen
Stovetop Custard

On the Stovetop Custard recipe I noticed there is no Splenda or Sweetner added. Where does the sweetness come from?
Old 10-27-2003, 01:51 PM   #81
KPeterson

Gallery: KPeterson
I use the LaTortilla Low Carb Tortilla's and make breakfast burritos with them....or I spread Peanut Butter on them and roll them up.

I also buy the Atkins Blueberry Muffin Mix, but instead bake it in a loaf pan....like Blueberry Bread. I spread cream cheese on it and its yummy!

Or else just grab a shake on the way out.

Old 11-06-2003, 05:36 AM   #82
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: KY_LOSER
Stats: BIG/STOCKY/STOCKY
WOE: I do it myyyy way!!!
Start Date: May/2003
Natural Peanut butter and whipped cream. I cannot tell you how many times I had that...I will supplement it with some whey powder and that is when I take my vitamins as well.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:47 AM   #83
tiger1

Gallery: tiger1
“Pancakes”

2 eggs separated – 1 - 2 carb (check your eggs)
4 oz. softened cream cheese – 3.2 carb (Philly Brand)
1 tsp Splenda - .5 carb
¼ tsp vanilla extract – 0 carb

Beat egg whites until fluffy and stiff, set aside.
Beat egg yolks, cream cheese, Splenda, and vanilla together until creamy and fold into the egg whites.

Cook on a griddle until done, spread with butter and your choice of syrup. I use Cozy Cottage/Vermont Sugar Free Syrup. Same syrup, packaged under two names.

TOTAL CARBS 4.7 – 5.7, Makes 8 ¼ cup pancakes

Old 11-23-2003, 12:45 PM   #84
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: nikinakkinoo8633
Stats: 332-restart:288/286/Onederland
WOE: No junk, portion control
Start Date: Today. Taking it one day at a time!
Re: Stovetop Custard

Quote:
Originally posted by DesertRoseQueen
On the Stovetop Custard recipe I noticed there is no Splenda or Sweetner added. Where does the sweetness come from?
I have been wondering that, too! And 1 Tblspn of Nutmeg??? hmmm...seems like a LOT of nutmeg!
Old 11-23-2003, 11:45 PM   #85
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DesertRoseQueen
Thanks

If you or somebody else reading this post knows the answer to my question or in this case too--about the nutmeg, please reply.

Also I am beginning to detest, hate, totally hate the smell of cooked eggs of any style and fashion--I think I overdid it in the egg department. Hard boiled, poached, scrambled, overeasy, fried to a crisp and so on. Someone help me with more ideas for breakfast. I already tried the ham rolls.

Thanks for replying :
Old 11-24-2003, 02:28 AM   #86
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: nikinakkinoo8633
Stats: 332-restart:288/286/Onederland
WOE: No junk, portion control
Start Date: Today. Taking it one day at a time!
Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by DesertRoseQueen
If you or somebody else reading this post knows the answer to my question or in this case too--about the nutmeg, please reply.

Also I am beginning to detest, hate, totally hate the smell of cooked eggs of any style and fashion--I think I overdid it in the egg department. Hard boiled, poached, scrambled, overeasy, fried to a crisp and so on. Someone help me with more ideas for breakfast. I already tried the ham rolls.

Thanks for replying :
Desert, I did a search online last night for non-LC custard to see how it was made and do a comparison. I think you definitely need Splenda because every recipe had sugar included and I do think that a tablespoon of nutmeg is too much....some of the recipes only included nutmeg as a garnish whereas others didn't include it at all. I was also concerned about the 5 eggs per one serving. I think some of those 5 eggs are supposed to be just egg yolks to help thicken the custard since no starch is being used.

I am going to try to make my own version of LC custard and will let you know how it turns out.

I also am detesting eggs - possibly not as much as you, but I have tried them every which way and unless I really "hide" them, I have a really hard time stomaching them.

One thing I do love is the Mock Danish (in the recipe room) and vary the flavors quite a bit. I have made chocolate, cinnamon and lemon, so far and they are wonderful, but use up most of my cheese quota for the day. But they are quick and great for breakfast!

I don't know if you are allowed LC bread yet, but if you are, just a slice of toast with sugarless peanut butter really hits the spot for me. I've never been much of a breakfast person, but it gets something into my stomach. 1/2 grapefruit with some splenda is something I am looking forward to once in a while as well.

Unfortunately, there seems to be some discrepencies between DANDR and the Atkins.com site as what foods you can and can't have during induction. So a lot of this is trial and error and what works for you as an individual.

I will get back to you on what I discover regarding the custard...wish me luck!

[COLOR=DarkRed]Girlie Goals:[/COLOR]
  • Nutrition: Have a plan!
  • Exercise!
  • Quit Smoking!
Old 12-01-2003, 04:59 AM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gonnabskinny
Great ideas!

I too do quite a bit of left overs.. cook the mass amounts of bacon on sunday and micro 2 slices and eat them on the run. I also have a 1-hour commute and found the finger foods great to eat in the car on the way to work. Sunday's are my prep days (honestly it only takes about 1-hour out of my day) and I prep all my veggies for the week and put them in plastic containers. (Tip: put a piece of papertowel on the bottom and top of the container prior to sealing in and then store the containers upside down. When you open the containers the top papertowel will be wet... throw away and place a fresh one prior to re-sealing. This will keep your veggies really fresh for more than 1-week.)

Oh, back to breakfast.. the shakes are great ..especially if you want to save those carbs for a later meal... or the atkins muffins freeze really well. They dont take long to thaw as well making them a really quick b-fast! The atkins cereals are good as well. I find them pretty sweet so I dont eat a full serving..

I too have a cheesecake issue so I make pumpkin pie (I use the directions off the can just substitute splenda for the sugar and cream for the evap milk) and then freeze individual pieces.. another quick meal.

Good luck... and believe it or not after a month or so... you will like eggs again!

Began Atkins WOL on 8/1/02
Recommit - 12/31/04 (NOT a resolution! But a way of life!)

Believe in yourself! For within you is everything you'll ever need to make your dreams come true!
Old 12-01-2003, 05:30 PM   #88
kristina

Gallery: kristina
Bumpin Up Breakfast

Better Eggies:

My Hubby needs a FULL breakfast everyday due to his hard manual labor (& I don't) - so I ususally scramble his & my eggs - adding 1oz of cream cheese PLUS some other cheese (cheddar) & meat.

The cream cheese really makes the eggs much more pleasant - try it.

Season them with hot spices, or with gralic, or microwave some diced onions until beginning to brown & carmelize.

I also nuke diced zuccini & add to the eggs. Great stuff.

For an indulgence treat (after I eat eggs) I eat 2 or 3 of the Russell Stover Low Carb chocolates with coffee.

WHERE do I get the Flaz Seed Meal? Sounds great, & also mixed with the Soy protein. I'llhave to try that!

I miss the hot cereals a lot.

Old 12-03-2003, 05:58 PM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MrsPolly
Stats: 184/158/145
Start Date: 10/15/03
I made Houston's Spinach and Artichoke Dip over the holidays. It is very good but makes a huge batch. So this week I have been spreading that on a plate, warming in the microwave, and topping with a fried egg. Yummm!

Polly

Started Atkins 10/15/03
184/170/145
Old 12-09-2003, 09:53 AM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: waunakeewoman
Stats: 203/154/145 (Goal 9/04)restart!
WOE: Atkins, then WW/Core Plan, now back to LC
Start Date: November, 2003
THANKS TO ALL FOR THE GREAT IDEAS!!!

I just want to thank everyone who contributed to these GREAT ideas. I started with the mock danish--(LOVE IT!!!!) and then came back today to read through the rest of the postings. Lots of wonderful ideas...

This AM I reheated 1-1/2 leftover cooked hamburger patties (cut into small pieces)--added 2 T. of sour cream-nuked another 40 sec. and topped it off with a T. of shredded parmesan. It was tasty, filling and a FAR CRY from bacon and eggs.

I think it is important NOT to have the same foods over and over if you want to eat like this for the rest of your life. I am certainly enjoying the adventure.