Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2003, 11:18 AM   #31
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SpicyBC
Stats: obese/overweight/healthy
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/10/03 (for the last time!)
I just had the best (and unconventional) breakfast ever--a cold cheeseburger salad!!

I took a leftover cheeseburger patty, crumbled it cold onto some romaine lettuce, topped with dressing and VOILA! Heavenly and very filling!

My DH eats salad for breakfast every single day, and now i know why. It's very easy to prepare and you can add whatever you like onto it (he likes deli sliced turkey and roast beef)

You can be very creative with leftovers!

Another breakfast I have enjoyed in the past is a hot flax meal cereal. Take a tablespoon or two of flax meal, top with boiling water, mix in some splenda or a scoop of protein powder. Yummie! Nice during cold weather

Downstairs: size 22/16!/10
Upstairs: size 20/14/10
"Slow and steady..."

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2003, 11:27 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Praying Colonel
Stats: 308/297/185
I make LC flaxmeal muffins (recipe from the recipe forum). I had them on induction and they didn't kick me out of ketosis or slow me down, but YMMV.

I also had flaxmeal "cereal" (1/2 c boiling water poured into 1/4 c flaxmeal, let sit for a couple of minutes and then add some splenda and about 1 tbsp. cream). Now I add a scoop of vanilla whey protein powder with the flaxmeal.

I also make "Protein Pancakes" from Dana Carpender's LC cookbook in addition to the above, as well as making western omelets. I'm going to experiment with Frittatas (an Italian quiche, sort of) next week.

Last edited by Praying Colonel; 08-23-2003 at 11:30 AM..
Old 08-23-2003, 11:51 AM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: shellpurr
Stats: blah
WOE: ?
Start Date: tomorrow!
those flax muffins are good aren't they. I love them warm with butter.
Old 08-23-2003, 08:42 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: YvonneM
Stats: 155/131/130
WOE: Moderate Carbs/Curves Exercise
Start Date: 5/17/03
Mock cream of wheat
1/4 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
1 egg
1 tsp SF vanilla syrup (davinci)
1/2 pkg spenda
1 T heavy cream or 1/2&1/2
dash of cinnamon

mix all in a bowl until smooth. microwave on high for 1 minute, stir and microwave again for 30 seconds.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:37 PM   #35
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2B Me
Start Date: Need to get started again on some plan.
Quote:
Originally posted by shellpurr
where do you get flax meal cereal that everyone is talking about?
I buy mine at Safeway in the flour isle.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:45 PM   #36
Big Yapper!!!!

I used to eat a lot of the sweet induction bfast from the recipe room. I just bought some ricotta to try the mock cream of wheat. I also eat the flax meal cereal and have started making quiche to last all week. I also take left overs and cut them up to make my omlets or scam eggs in the morning. The other day I cut up a chicken thigh and some onion, cooked them, added the eggs, then grated cheese and ate with sour cream on top. yummy. I find onions lend a lot of flavor and a little isn't too bad and goes a long way. I have also seen that some make cheesecake and have piece on the run. I can't make it cuz I'll eat too much. I often make custard too and pour it into little cups and store in the fridge. You can also look into the yogurt fast approach to low carb bfast, there's something about the yogurt that doesn't have all carbs count. I'm talking plain, whole milk yogurt that you sweeten yourself with sf syrup and splenda. I also purchased some chopped hazel nuts at Trader Joe's. I add a tiny bit and they add a good crunch and flavor to lots of things and don't count for too many carbs.
07NOV11=R2D1: 219.8 D2:218.0 D3:xxx.x D4: xxx.x D5:xxx.x D6:xxx.x D7:xxx.x loss: -5.0

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...e-journal.html
Old 08-24-2003, 09:08 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Windansea
Stats: 172/160/140
WOE: Kimkins
Start Date: Started KE 6/27/07
I wanted to add - I just made Spongebob's Flax Bread, and it is awesome. I spread a little cream cheese on it, and it was soooo good. One portion has about 1 carb after all the fiber. Search on Spongebob to find it, and enjoy!
Old 08-25-2003, 10:11 AM   #38
Big Yapper!!!!

I couldn't find it. Can you post it please?
Old 08-25-2003, 10:41 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Windansea
Stats: 172/160/140
WOE: Kimkins
Start Date: Started KE 6/27/07
Here is spongebob's post:

spongebob's flaxmeal bread

dry
===
2c flaxmeal (I use Bob's Red Mill)
1c nuts/etc. *
1/2c Splenda (box, not packets)
1tsp baking powder
1tsp baking soda

*i usually use chopped almonds or pecans (can't remember which right now!) that net out at like 1ca per 1/4c - take a look, you'll find them! i also sometimes will mix 1/2c nuts with 1/2c unsweetened coconut (also lc!). get creative here!!!

wet
===
5 eggs (beaten)
8T sf syrup w/Splenda **
5T vegetable oil (i use canola)

**so far i've tried hazelnut or banana, depending on what i use above for nuts/etc.

pre-heat oven to 350F

mix together all dry ingredients in a bowl, then in a separate bowl, mix all wet ingredients. fold dry ingredients into wet and mix well (don't beat like crazy, but be sure it's mixed well or the eggs do funny things!).

immediately transfer batter to Pam/etc-sprayed loaf pan (i've had better results not waiting the 5min. i've seen suggested - baking soda is active immediately when wet, right?).

bake at 350F for 35min. or until it passes the knife/toothpick/etc. test.

remove from pan immediately and cool before slicing. i slice into 16 as follows: slice lengthwise down the center, then cut each half into two equal halves on the short axis and then in half again.

store these in tupperware/rubbermaid in the refrigerator - they keep just fine for the 8 days that i have them around.

i usually slice mine in half and toast in the toaster oven and have with butter or cream cheese - although it's great cold, too!

i've really worked on this recipe and i hope you enjoy it! i don't like things too greasy, eggy or sweet, so i've tried to address that with this recipe. be sure and experiment yourself and remember to have fun!

4/20/03 - 190.5/153.5/135 - 8/10/03 doing low cal/fairly low carb
8/10/03 - 153.5/146.6/135 - 9/21/03
7/12/05 - 174.5/158.5/135 - 12/2/05
7/12/06 - 171.5/161.5/135 - 8/21/06

6/27/07 - I'm BAAAAaaack! Starting KE today!
172/160/145 - 7/16/07
Old 08-25-2003, 10:56 AM   #40
edna42

Gallery: edna42
has anyone ever tried to batter and fry...

the ham and cheese roll-ups? It would be sort of like Chicken courdon blu..except without the chicken. Or if you wanted, you could add some chicken. I think it would be great for breakfast! You could do a whole bunch and keep them frozen until you needed one and just nuke it! Sort of like hot pockets!

I am gonna try this tonight and I will let ya'll know how it works.
It should work in theory but we shall see!
Boy, I'm a genious!

Old 08-25-2003, 11:05 AM   #41
edna42

My post went to cyberland....has anyone

ever tried to batter and fry ham & cheese roll-ups?
I would be so easy to pop one in the microwave in the mornings.
It would be sort of like hot pockets...

You could stull ham with cream cheese, cheddar, swiss, chicken, seasonings, etc. and then dip in batter and deep fry.
EWW sounds yummy, doesn't it?

I am gonna try this tonight and will report on it tomorrow.
It should work...at least in theory!

Old 08-25-2003, 11:06 AM   #42
edna42

oops...my 1st post materialized! sorry bout duplicate

no text

Old 09-01-2003, 05:39 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: xbuffyx
Stats: 270/220/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: September 1, 2003
Breakfast ideas instead of bacon/eggs?

Hi, I'm new! I was a long time lurker at another forum but I couldn't register because my AOL account kept doing something strange to the activation link. So all I could do was lurk because it wouldn't allow you to join from a free account. I am SO glad I found this place because I have LOTS of questions that have just been bottled up inside of me for months!!!

Okay, first one - what else can I have for breakfast besides bacon and eggs? I love b/e but during the week I don't have time to cook that in the mornings when I'm rushing to get to work and get 3 kids out the door also. I need something simple, fast and tastes good! I'm on Induction so it has to fit within those limitations.

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2003, 06:49 AM   #44
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
I like to make protein shakes. How about cottage cheese? What about some meat?

This one requires a minute of cooking but is very fast & a big favorite on the PP board. There are lots of variations. You can probably make it the night before & just nuke it.
Recipe by "nasus"

Faux Cream of Wheat

1/2 cup riccotta cheese
4 tbs cream
1 egg

mix and heat over med heat untill grainy

then add a little vanilla, cinamon, and fake sugar to taste

I thought that it tasted a little like a custard, and i made it in the micro not stove so i wonder what it would be like on the stove
Really good!!!

I gat so many recipy ideas from all over i forget where they come from. Is the rice pudding in the PP book? if not that is a good one too.

1/2 c cottage cheese
1 pkt of fake sugar (blue is best)
drible of vanilla
dribble of cream
shake of cinamon

sounds like the other but the taste is very different.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:56 AM   #45
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dillia
is cottage cheese allowed?

Ive heard of cream cheese pancakes, take some cream cheese melt it a bit so that its not lumpy and add one egg. Im not sure if cinnamon is allowed but you can add that to the batter and make a syrup of cinnamon and butter.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:59 AM   #46
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DixieDreamer
Stats: 180/140/140
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 28, 2002
Cottage cheese is not allowed on induction. Save that recipe for a few weeks from now.

Leftovers from the previous night's dinner. I love cold roasted chicken and veggies for breakfast!

Salads - diced meat, salad fixens, and some full fat dressing.

Make the crustless quiche on the weekend, and then have a slice of it during the week for breakfast.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:06 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ellie-babe
Stats: 135/134/110
Start Date: 15 July 2003
Make yourself a batch of Dobie Muffins (you'll find the recipe in the recipe room) and grab one of them.

Alternatively, I've just started making the "Mock Danish" from Linda's Low-Carb recipes http://webpages.charter.net/genaws3/ :

MOCK DANISH
2 oz. cream cheese
1 egg
2-4 t. Splenda
1/2 t. vanilla
pinch of cinnamon

In a small, microwaveable bowl, soften the cream cheese on HIGH 30 seconds. Beat well with a spoon until creamy. Add the egg and beat very well until creamy; mix in remaining ingredients. Use a small rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl so that all the batter is in the bottom. Microwave on HIGH 30 seconds; rotate bowl (do not stir) and cook another 30 seconds. If center still looks too runny, cook another 30 seconds. May take up to 2 1/2 minutes total, depending on your microwave. Center should be a bit soft for the danish filling effect. Run a small rubber spatula around the danish, then under it to release from bowl. Transfer to a small plate. Cool until just warm or cool completely before eating.

Makes 1 serving (3.5 carbs each)

MOCK DANISH VARIATION 2
3 oz. cream cheese
1 egg
4 t. Splenda
1/2 t. vanilla
Pinch of lemon rind or 1 t. lemon juice

Follow instructions above. Makes 1 serving (6 carbs each)

MOCK DANISH VARIATION 3
2-3 oz. cream cheese
1 egg
2-4 t. Splenda
1/2 t. vanilla
Drop of almond extract

Follow instructions above. Makes 1 serving (4-6 carbs each, depending on the amount of cream cheese and Splenda used)
Old 09-01-2003, 07:16 AM   #48
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Sorry! I never did Atkins...or induction!
Old 09-01-2003, 07:17 AM   #49
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DixieDreamer
Stats: 180/140/140
Start Date: July 28, 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by DiamondDeb
Sorry! I never did Atkins...or induction!
But you gave a great idea for OWL!
Old 09-01-2003, 07:20 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: twistedsister
WOE: Atkins!
Start Date: 1/5/03
My favorite breakfast lately is 1/4 c chicken salad, 1/4 c egg salad and 1 oz pork rinds. mmmmm
Old 09-01-2003, 08:02 AM   #51
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Dana114
Stats: 185/143/145 19.6% BF - Size 8
Start Date: 1999
Spinach quiche
cheesecake
2 string cheese sticks with a protein drink
Old 09-01-2003, 08:28 AM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: kdog41
Stats: 197/156.6/160
Start Date: 01/12/2003
Re: Breakfast ideas instead of bacon/eggs?

Quote:
Originally posted by xbuffyx
I love b/e but during the week I don't have time to cook that in the mornings when I'm rushing to get to work and get 3 kids out the door also. I need something simple, fast and tastes good! I'm on Induction so it has to fit within those limitations.

Thanks!
I never understood the comment about not having enough time. Can't you just get up 15 minutes earlier? During induction if you are a traditional breakfast eater you don't have a lot of choices that don't involve eggs. You can, however, prepare them in so many ways (i.e. hard-boiled, omelets, fried, deviled, etc). You can also have ham or sausage instead of bacon.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:03 AM   #53
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: SpicyBC
Stats: obese/overweight/healthy
Start Date: 1/10/03 (for the last time!)
Some of my faves...

Leftovers!

Spoon some homemade chunky chicken salad onto a few slices of cucumber

A half cup of plain full-fat yogurt (I love Brown Cow!) sweetened with sf syrup---add in a spoonful of flax meal for added fiber (not really for induction tho!)

Flax meal "cereal"--mix a couple tablespoons of flax meal with hot water...Sweetened with splenda to taste. A scoop of protein powder helps a bit with the texture too
Old 09-01-2003, 09:19 AM   #54

Gallery: LeahIA
Stats: 153/120/140 (chemo & crap)
WOE: Who knows????
Start Date: tomorrow...yea, tomorrow!!
I use Hormel's precooked bacon. I separate it into separate servings in zip-lok bags. I carry them with me & eat as needed. You could do this. I even carry them in my purse for emergencies.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:48 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JuliaJulia
I eat yogurt and flax bread. Very filling and satisfying.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:10 AM   #56
Peanut girl

Gallery: Peanut girl
I know what you mean about the time crunch in the AM. To help us, we scramble a lot of eggs and just keep them in a plastic container in the fridge. Then you can just take out what you need and heat in the microwave. Throw on some cheese, salsa, guacomole or whatever sounds good at the moment and eat up! Almost like an omelet. We do the same thing with sausage, bacon or whatever kind of meat. Quick and easy.

I also like chicken (or tuna or salmon) salad. For what it's worth, we make a bunch of those, too, and keep them in individual containers in the fridge - good for breakfast or lunch.

I also make muffins every few weeks and freeze them. We make some 'icing' out of cream cheese, Splenda and cinnamon to spread on top. Not something you can eat on induction, but good for OWL.

Good luck!

Old 09-01-2003, 10:25 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
My breakfast this morning took 90 seconds.

2 "old wisconsin" polish sausages in the micro for 90 seconds (comes out really, really juicy) with s.f. maple syrup!

Yummy!

Marieze

Put small slices in sausages so they don't blow up!
Old 09-01-2003, 10:51 AM   #58
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Location: Holding the handbasket and leading the charge into hell
Gallery: elastigirl
Stats: 295/205/140
WOE: Vegetarian South Beach
Start Date: 10/08/07
Ah, here's a trick my grandma taught me. The woman was a GENIUS and could cook anything in a microwave. When I lived with her for 8 months, I never once saw her use her stove, except on holidays.

FAST Scrambled Eggs, total prep time 2-3 minutes:

You need:
A two-cup pyrex measuring cup
Pam
Eggs

Spray the pyrex cup with pam. Put eggs and a tbsp. of water in the cup and stir it up with a fork to get them scrambled up. Microwave the whole thing, cup and all, for about 1 minute until the eggs look like they are done (not runny looking, and kind of fluffy).

The eggs just slide out of the measuring cup in a patty shape. I like to put a slice of cheese and Canadian bacon, ham, or a sausage patty on the eggs and zap it for another 30 seconds. And if you're feeling particularly ambitious, you can put chopped green pepper and onion in the egg mixture before you cook it and have a Denver omelette type of thing.

It's an Egg McMuffin without the muffin. Your kids would probably like it too, you could just put it on buttered toast or english muffins for them. And if you eat LC bread, you can make yourself a sandwich with it that you can take and eat on the run.

Flaxmeal hot cereal with cream and Splenda is a good option, and Keto also makes LC cold cereal that's good with 1/4 c. cream.

I don't recommend the cold cereal or LC bread if you are on induction though. It caused me to stall.

[color=purple]The thought manifests as the word;
The word manifests as the deed;
The deed develops into habit;
And habit hardens into character.
So watch the thought and its ways with care,
And let it spring from love born out of concern for all beings.

-The Dhammapada
[/color]
Old 09-01-2003, 10:53 AM   #59
Come join us on the Game Board

Location: retired now - I ski 40+ days annually and do marathons. 1st TIME GRANDMOTHER 6/18/07
Gallery: Sharon
Stats: GO UCLA - BEAT USC. ALWAYS STAY POSITIVE
Who says that breakfast has to been bacon and eggs? How about leftovers from the night before? But, if you want eggs, try the crustless quiche lorraine from the recipe room as it's fabulous. Freeze it in individual portions and take one out the night before (thawing in the refrigerator) for a quick breakfast. You can do the same with a frittata.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:02 AM   #60
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Location: Holding the handbasket and leading the charge into hell
Gallery: elastigirl
Stats: 295/205/140
WOE: Vegetarian South Beach
Start Date: 10/08/07
See, with me, I feel weird eating anything but "breakfast foods" at breakfast time and "dinner foods" at dinnertime. My family would OCCASIONALLY have pancakes and eggs for dinner, but for the most part when we ate breakfast, it was breakfast type foods.

I've kind of branched off and started eating tomatoes with breakfast and if I'm in a hurry I eat leftovers, but that's the extent of it. Eating regular breakfast food makes me feel normal and in touch with the rest of the world, which is important because I'm the only LCer I know and sometimes I feel isolated by my WOE.