Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Recipe Forum Sticky Threads (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/recipe-forum-sticky-threads/)
-   -   FLAX MUFFIN/BREAD - all my research! :) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/recipe-forum-sticky-threads/129846-flax-muffin-bread-all-my-research.html)

spongebobsqpants 07-31-2003 04:44 AM

FLAX MUFFIN/BREAD - all my research! :)

hello! after reading all the great recipe posts way back when, i started tinkering with the flaxmeal muffins. many iterations later, i now make it in a loaf pan and i'm very, very happy with it. i mix it up regarding my choice of davinci syrup and nuts but that's just to keep things interesting :) i eat once piece at breakfast (with my hard-boiled egg) and one in the evening as a snack.

anyway, without further ado, here's my recipe:

spongebob's flaxmeal bread

dry
===
2c flaxmeal (I use Bob's Red Mill)
1c nuts/etc. *
1/2c Splenda (box, not packets)
1tsp baking powder
1tsp baking soda

*i usually use chopped almonds or pecans (can't remember which right now!) that net out at like 1ca per 1/4c - take a look, you'll find them! i also sometimes will mix 1/2c nuts with 1/2c unsweetened coconut (also lc!). get creative here!!!

wet
===
5 eggs (beaten)
8T sf syrup w/Splenda **
5T vegetable oil (i use canola)

**so far i've tried hazelnut or banana, depending on what i use above for nuts/etc.

pre-heat oven to 350F

mix together all dry ingredients in a bowl, then in a separate bowl, mix all wet ingredients. fold dry ingredients into wet and mix well (don't beat like crazy, but be sure it's mixed well or the eggs do funny things!).

immediately transfer batter to Pam/etc-sprayed loaf pan (i've had better results not waiting the 5min. i've seen suggested - baking soda is active immediately when wet, right?).

bake at 350F for 35min. or until it passes the knife/toothpick/etc. test.

remove from pan immediately and cool before slicing. i slice into 16 as follows: slice lengthwise down the center, then cut each half into two equal halves on the short axis and then in half again.

store these in tupperware/rubbermaid in the refrigerator - they keep just fine for the 8 days that i have them around.

i usually slice mine in half and toast in the toaster oven and have with butter or cream cheese - although it's great cold, too!

i've really worked on this recipe and i hope you enjoy it! i don't like things too greasy, eggy or sweet, so i've tried to address that with this recipe. be sure and experiment yourself and remember to have fun!

as far as the nutritional breakdown? my shot at ****** says, per serving:

171 calories
14 g fat
1 g saturated fat
5 g carbs
5 g fiber (look ma, net ZERO!!!)
7 g protein

(pretty nice, eh? now i don't want to get into how carbs are counted, etc., this is just what i use. i've not subtracted fiber from anything in the 5g carb count. the flaxmeal i use is net zero, since it has 5g carb and 5g fiber per 1/4c (i think that's the serving size they use))

have a great day!!!

-s

tiny toes 07-31-2003 05:18 AM

Thanks for all your hard work..I'll give it a try!

Horsetrainer110 07-31-2003 05:32 AM

This sounds good!:)

LCSue 07-31-2003 06:06 AM

Thanks for the recipe. I'm going to try it this weekend.:)

redJill 07-31-2003 08:47 AM

Thank you!!!

I love the muffins and I too intend to try this out!!!! Thanks for doing the hard work for us!!!!

Jill

spongebobsqpants 07-31-2003 08:56 AM

so many of you willing to try it, eh? :) gee, i hope you like it!

i really do like this recipe. i've been on atkins since mid-may and i think i started working on it my 2nd week on the program. each week i changed it a little to try and make it less this, more that, etc.

these days i mostly vary what's in that cup of nuts/etc and switch the syrup. it doesn't taste eggy or greasy anymore, so i've left those alone. if anything you might be able to get away with taking away a bit more oil but that's it.

flavor from syrups is not strong so be sure and up it if you want more. add more Splenda if you want it sweeter too. not too much though! perhaps try it my way first and see what you think.

have fun!

-s

redJill 07-31-2003 09:03 AM

The carbs for the splenda were not accounted for, but I will still try this out!!!!

spongebobsqpants 07-31-2003 09:15 AM

good point! didn't know how to count 'em and forgot to mention it! i didn't see it on ****** and the box/website only says <1g per tsp. so, if we say it's 0.9 (max) then it's like this:

1/2c = 24 tsp

24 * 0.9 = 21.6g max in batch from Splenda

21.6 / 16 servings = 1.35g per piece

===

however, elsewhere on the board i read that 1/2c has 12g so that must mean that Spenda is only 0.5g per tsp. if that's true,
then the total is really:

12 / 16 = 0.75g per piece

party on!

-s

CarolynF 07-31-2003 08:28 PM

Looks so wonderful..thanks.

skincandy 07-31-2003 08:48 PM

Thanks so much, that's exactly what I've been looking for - a high fiber bread w/ nuts recipe ! Excellent timing.

I'll try and make it tomorrow, can't wait !

SkinCandy

abbymommy 08-01-2003 10:44 AM

spongebob, you are awesome!

Thanks so much, I have been experimenting too with good ol' flaxmeal, but this looks great!

The other day I made muffins using flaxmeal, 1/4 cup Carbsense bake mix (0 carbs), eggs, oil, Splenda nutmeg and cinnamon - delicious and very "bready" - especially since I slathered them with cream cheese icing (cream cheese, butter Splenda and vanilla or almond extract)

I thought the davinci syrups were truly 0 carbs, so I think you are right about the carb counts!

Thanks again, and let us know if you come up with any new creations!

Abby

sparkel 08-01-2003 09:07 PM

The recipe sounds very yummy and I just have to say I love your name, I am a HUGE SpongeBob fan myself. More than my kids, I think!! LOL

sparkel

:)

skincandy 08-01-2003 09:31 PM

OK, this gets 2 thumbs ups.

I tried it tonight and it came out great. Of course, I modified it slightly (Instead of all flaxmeal, I used 1 1/4 cup of flaxmeal, 1/4 cup bran, 1/2 cup almond meal). Used the Gram's gourmet Flax n' nut crunchies for the nuts and had a slice right out of the oven slathered in butter : Delicious !

Definetly a keeper !

SkinCandy

mommedawne 08-03-2003 06:53 PM

Spongebob, thanks for sharing your recipe. I plan to try it as soon as my knee is better and I can cook more.

spongebobsqpants 08-06-2003 03:12 PM

hi! anyone else try the recipe? i'm so curious as to what people think of it! i haven't gotten much feedback to date as i can't seem to get any of my non-LC friends to try it :)

enjoy!

-s

skincandy 08-06-2003 03:18 PM

Well, I can't be the only one to have tried it ??

SpongeBob, I loved it ! I have to freeze it because I was eating it too fast (a nibble here, a bite there...);)

My mom had some and loved it, she didn't know it was LC and I didn't tell her. Tell your non LC friends it's a "Nut bread" - they won't bat an eye at it.

SkinCandy

spongebobsqpants 08-06-2003 03:22 PM

good point! i'll tell them it's a nut bread! :) i'm going to get some of my non-LC friends to try it, really i will! we'll see what they think...

btw - i know this is an, um, uncomfortable subject for some so i'll be delicate. eating this bread twice a day definitely helps the pipes working properly :) fiber is good! eat your veggies too, people, it all helps the body keep happy.

have a great evening,

-s

Bfranke 08-06-2003 04:33 PM

I tried it too!

I made it on Monday. My DH has just been diagnosed diabetic. He is usually a cereal eater in the AM, and it has been doing a real number on his blood sugar readings. I was encouraging him to eat eggs, but he said he needed bread. He had tried the Wasa crackers on Mon, so I made him eggs and toasted a slice of this bread on Tues. He really liked it.
I used Banana DaVinci and a few drops of Loranne banana cream oil in it. For nuts, I used pecans. The texture is almost like banana bread too!
Thanks spongebobsqpants
Bette

MelaGal 08-07-2003 07:46 PM

Yummy!!

I've made this twice now. It's a hit at our house!! I grind unsweetened coconut in the coffee grinder, I use half the ground coconut and half almond meal.

I like the idea of adding cream cheese... I had wondered about that.

Thanks for posting your recipe!

~annette

daisymae 08-08-2003 01:16 PM

Is there any way to make this so that it is a "savory" bread instead of a "sweet" bread ??? Like using garlic, onion, etc. ??

THANKS

CarolynF 08-08-2003 03:53 PM

I made this today..and it was great, but I didn't cook it long enough and the middle sunk and was gooey..even though the
but I cut around the middle and saved that...I used the flaxmeal,
1/2 cup almond meal and 1/4 cup WPI for variety.

wannabehappynow 08-10-2003 10:12 AM

I just made this bread today. It was UGLY@!!! but it was sooo good!!!!! Try it you will like it! Thanks for working this out for us !!!

jlatislaw 08-10-2003 11:27 AM

This sounds good. Did you use a 9" or 8" loaf pan?

JL

spongebobsqpants 08-10-2003 11:31 AM

if you're supposed to measure the length of the bottom of the pan, the answer is 8"

enjoy!

-s

PS - hey, who called this bread ugly? :) ok, ok, so grey bread isn't exactly the prettiest. as long as it tastes good! put a thin layer of cream cheese on top and you'll forget all about it! :D

cdnjan 08-10-2003 12:08 PM

Thanks for your recipe spongebob! :D
I cannot get SF syrup. Do you have any idea on what would be a good substitute. I have artificial flavoring and splenda just not sure @ qty's.
TIA
Jan

CarolynF 08-10-2003 01:04 PM

Hi Jan,

I would use 1 tsp. vanilla plus 1/2 cup water and enough Splenda
to make the water sweet, maybe 2 Tbs. of the granulated sweetner OR 3 pkgs. of sweetener.

cdnjan 08-10-2003 01:29 PM

Thanks again CarolynF!! :) :)
Have really been feeling like a bread type thing, will give this a go. Can't wait till I head to Oregon in a few weeks. I plan on filling my van up with Davincis so I can try some of those interesting flavors.
Thanks,
Jan

mya_detroit 08-12-2003 06:21 AM

yum

I made this bread last night, and oh man, it is GREAT. Tastes just like Banana bread!

I just let a co-worker try a peice and he thought it was Banana Bread, even asked me to bring him in a peice tomorrow.

Thanks Spongebob, You rock!

mya_detroit 08-12-2003 06:21 AM

yum

I made this bread last night, and oh man, it is GREAT. Tastes just like Banana bread!

I just let a co-worker try a peice and he thought it was Banana Bread, even asked me to bring him in a peice tomorrow.

Thanks Spongebob, You rock!

JustChris 08-13-2003 09:22 AM

I made this bread on Monday and it is my new favorite breakfast. I have gotten tired of eggs and quiche so this makes for some nice variety. I made it without nuts because I don't like nuts in bread but after the next trip to the grocery store I might try adding in some berries or coconut.

I'd give it three thumbs up if I had another hand :)