Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions > Recipe Forum Sticky Threads
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2006, 10:31 AM   #391
MCE
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MCE
Stats: 158.2/131.6/125 ~ 5'4
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/22/07
YUMMY! I just made these, followed the recipe to a T, and they came out wonderful. I used walnuts and SF DaVinci Vanilla syrup.

I did 1/2 the recipe and made 8 muffins instead of bread. I ate 1/2 with butter and the other 1/2 with cream cheese. I liked the butter better.

This is a keeper! Thanks Spongebob!

BTW ~ My house smelled incredible while they were baking!

Last edited by MCE; 01-24-2006 at 10:42 AM..

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2006, 12:24 PM   #392
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetTLC
WOE: Atkins/moderate carbs.
Start Date: Re-inducted mid September 2004.
Hi.

I made the savory version of this flax bread from page 2 of this thread. It is tasty...I could not taste the cheese but that is fine. The garlic flavor is very mild...you could double the garlic and not boost the carb count hardly at all. I did leave the nuts out as I wanted to further reduce the carb count and my husband does not like nuts in his bread. I really like this bread and I'd make it again...especially since the savory version has a lower carb count than the sweet version...under .5 a slice (if you cut the bread into 16 slices). It is delicious toasted and buttered.

God bless.

Old 02-08-2006, 09:25 AM   #393
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: i2849
Start Date: July 2005
Hi there,
I've been eating this during induction.(one small piece per day) and it hasn't kicked me out of ketosis. I did leave out the nuts though.

Thanks for a wonderful recipe Spongebob!!
Old 02-09-2006, 10:07 AM   #394
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kathy76
Stats: (313)282/160.8/155-160
Start Date: 9/19/05
I made this bread a couple of weeks ago and........ I better not make it again... because I ate the whole thing within about 3 days!!!!! Oh, I forgot, I did share 2 pieces with my dh (9yo) She thought it was good too!

I just printed out the single serve recipe, maybe that will be better for my portion control issue! :blush:

I tried the cream cheese muffins the other day I think next time I will make a 1/2 batch, I had portion control issues with these also!!
Old 03-18-2006, 08:58 PM   #395
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: UltraViolet
Stats: 5'8.5 - xxx/xxx/160
WOE: Cupcakes and Vodka
Start Date: I'm late, I'm late...for a very important date !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty17
I love this recipe!!! So far I made the basic recipe, then tried basic recipe with coconuts, nuts and vanilla flavoring. Then I tried a chocolate recipe:

2 cup flaxmeal (dark)
1 cup nuts
3/4 cup splenda
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
2 heaping Tlbs coco
5 eggs
8 tlbs chocolate sugar free torani
5 tlbs. vegetable oil

Mix and put it in to a loaf pan and bake about 45 min at 350.
Tastes so much better the next day!

Now I want to try the pumpkin and ginger recipes!
Cindy
Yum - these just came out of the oven ! My changes were substituting SF Chocolate Pudding mix for the coco (same amount) and instead of 5 tlbs. vegetable oil, I used 3 tlbs melted butter and 2 tlbs olive oil (I didn't have anything else so used butter for the rest after I thought that olive oil might not be perfect...) Instead of 8 tlbs chocolate sugar free torani, I divided it in half - 4 tlbs SF Hershey's Chocolate Sauce and 4 tlbs SF Chocolate Torani. Also, I used walnuts.

Oh, and I only used 1/2 cup of Splenda (totally sufficient sweetness !)

They are SOOOO good

Killing threads and making friends since 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star. - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 03-23-2006, 11:09 AM   #396
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gpisabela
Stats: 238/194/normal
WOE: Atkins-like low carb
Start Date: March 2005
I was eating a flax muffin (original recipe) and 2 girls from my office came around, wanted to try it and asked for the recipe! They don't do LC and they don't even know what Splenda or flax are!

I gave them the recipe and told them to put sugar instead of Splenda, I hope it works

Last edited by gpisabela; 03-23-2006 at 12:09 PM..
Old 03-24-2006, 06:52 AM   #397
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Stevie
Stats: 245/200/?? Size 22/14-16/2-4
WOE: Low carbin again!
Start Date: Started 1/04 - off & on to present
Addicted

Okay - I'm on my 2nd loaf in 10 days....just cut into it this morning...but I'm finding myself cutting it into 1/8ths instead ofthe 1/16ths that you are supposed to do, so that means no more for me!!!!! I'm having portion control issues, clearly.....But it's so dang good!!!!! My mom just made the 2nd loaf (she lives with me) and used the Vanilla DaVinci's with pecans....I had 2 pieces for breakfast. I do not even wanna get on the scale this Sunday...

Thanks, Spongebob, for your hard work & effort in developing this! I talked to my local Starbucks gals today whom I see every morning and the rest of the loaf is going to them....they were real interested in trying it. (Then again...this bread is definitely the lesser of the two evils when compared to Starbucks "no sugar added banana walnut bread", I must admit).

May Exercise minutes: 180
Old 03-26-2006, 04:32 AM   #398
Playground Sweetheart

Gallery: Nancy Pancy
Stats: 160/146.4/WTHk
WOE: LowerCarbs/Plenty of Walking
Start Date: 03/03/03
I just made pork schintzel with flax and am loving it!
Old 03-26-2006, 09:44 AM   #399
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Stevie
Stats: 245/200/?? Size 22/14-16/2-4
WOE: Low carbin again!
Start Date: Started 1/04 - off & on to present
Ooohhh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Pancy
I just made pork schintzel with flax and am loving it!
Nancy - DO share!
Old 03-26-2006, 09:59 AM   #400
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: razberry
Stats: Currently 228, re-started 9/1 down 56 lbs!
WOE: lower carb/low-glycemic w/portion control
I'm confused. I tried to go through, but there's alot here. I can't keep thing sorted. Will someone post their final, tweaked/best versions one more time?
Old 03-26-2006, 10:10 AM   #401
Playground Sweetheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie
Nancy - DO share!

It was way easy. I just substituted ground flax seed (flax meal) for breadcrumbs. Grind 'em up, added some parmasean cheese and some spices. Cut a pork loin roast into schinizel slices, dipped them in egg mixture (I added some skim milk), then dipped them in the flax mixture and fried them up. I tried to do just in pam only but I found I needed some olive oil in the pan.

They are yummy cold too!
Old 03-29-2006, 11:44 AM   #402
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nikki2777
I've been doing the single serve version and it is wonderful. But, now I would like to make the loaf pan size. In my notes on this bread, I can't find what size loaf pan to use... 9 x 5 or 8 x 4. Could someone help me on this?

Thanks,

Nikki2777
Old 04-04-2006, 11:31 PM   #403
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grammy G
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Paleo
Question about syrup in bread

I do not use artificial sweeteners. So, I wondered if anyone had tried the flax bread and did not use the LC Syrup? I can find a substitute for the splenda but not the syrup.
Thanks!
Old 04-05-2006, 06:54 AM   #404
Playground Sweetheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammy G
I do not use artificial sweeteners. So, I wondered if anyone had tried the flax bread and did not use the LC Syrup? I can find a substitute for the splenda but not the syrup.
Thanks!

No but give it a go. What can happen?
Old 04-05-2006, 08:25 AM   #405
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
Quote:
Thanks!
Use the same sub as you would for the Splenda (the syrup should measure the same amout of sweetness as the equal amount of Splenda). You may (or may not... the extra moisture may not be necessary. Flax is fairly moist/oily.) want to add the equal amount of water to your recipe, as well. And you can add flavoring extracts to make up for the flavor of the syrup.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:24 PM   #406
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Danethead
Stats: Start-250+, Current 224
Start Date: March 2006
Thank you for the clarification of WPI, I have also been wondering what it was.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:41 PM   #407
Senior LCF Member

I got tired of the original recipe with nuts and I tried what somebody here suggested once: dried cranberries and orange flavour. So I used coconut flakes instead of nuts, stevia instead of splenda as usual, added one handful of dried cranberries, and zest of one orange. Yummmmmmm... cranberries' tartness fits so well here... who needs raisins, anyway?

Next I will try the cream cheese muffins with cranberries and orange zest, but I have to remember to make a quadruple batch because my kids keep stealing them. I made twice a sugar version of the cheese muffins but my kids didn't eat them; for some strange reason they prefer mine, with stevia and without the crust.

One tip about the flax muffins, which I learned the hard way: watch the flax bread/muffins closely while baking and take them out of the oven immediately when the stick inserted in the center comes out clean. I used to bake them by the clock but they kept getting dry. When I started to test them I took them out of the oven 2 minutes earlier than the recipe said and it made a huge difference! From dry and crumbly to moist and fresh tasting!
Old 05-19-2006, 10:14 PM   #408
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grammy G
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Paleo
Did you use sweetened cranberries or the frozen kind? How much stevia did you use? What brand of stevia? This post has become so long that it would be so helpful if you could write out the entire recipe exactly the way you made it. Hope I'm not asking too much. :-) Thanks so much! I only use stevia or xylitol so I'm always excited to see a recipe with it.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:57 AM   #409
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: *rosebud*
Stats: 275/183/160
I made the original recipe on Sunday with some modifications and I was really happy with how it turned out.

spongebob's flaxmeal bread (with my changes/additions)

dry
===
2c flaxmeal
1c nuts (I measured 1 C walnut halves and then chopped them up a little)
1tsp baking powder (I used 1 1/2 tsp baking powder)
1tsp baking soda

wet
===
5 beaten eggs
8T sf syrup w/Splenda (I used 7T water plus liquid splenda to equal 1/2 C)
5T vegetable oil
2 tsp banana extract (my addition)

The banana flavor and the walnuts really go well together and almost taste like the real thing to me.

I had my sister (the dietitian) sample some and she said it tastes very healthy. She was surprised that something with no flour and sugar could taste so good. I think she has the idea in mind that Low Carb means lots of meat and fat so this was a great example to her of what different things I really eat.

This is something I'll make again and again. It's very simple to make and very tasty!

Last edited by *rosebud*; 05-22-2006 at 08:59 AM..
Old 05-22-2006, 09:11 AM   #410
Heart Writer

Gallery: RobinB
I have made it with walnuts and a sprinkling of sugar-free instant banana pudding mix!!

Tastes just like classic banana nut bread!

Like you guys, I eat too much of it too fast.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:20 AM   #411
Heart Writer

Gallery: RobinB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF
I'm really afraid of soy...and steer clear of it..maybe your friend
is having problems because of the soy..Do a search and there
is lots of information on the dangers of soy...
)
Same here. . . . too much controversy over whether it helps prevent cancer or actually causes it.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:47 AM   #412
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: *rosebud*
Stats: 275/183/160
Oh. gosh... I'm eating some of this right now and it's so good!
Old 05-22-2006, 11:08 AM   #413
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HeatherJanet
Stats: 150/137/120
Start Date: January 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinB
I have made it with walnuts and a sprinkling of sugar-free instant banana pudding mix!! Tastes just like classic banana nut bread! Like you guys, I eat too much of it too fast.
Robin, thanks for the pudding tip, just think how good a slice of that would be with peanut butter on it. I eat two slices a day for breakfast so I am making this recipe all the time and looking for ways to add variety.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:08 AM   #414
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Did you use sweetened cranberries or the frozen kind? How much stevia did you use? What brand of stevia? This post has become so long that it would be so helpful if you could write out the entire recipe exactly the way you made it. Hope I'm not asking too much. :-) Thanks so much! I only use stevia or xylitol so I'm always excited to see a recipe with it.
I used organic dried unsweetened cranberries. The sweetened ones are... well... sweetened and my guess is not with Splenda . I don't know how they would turn with frozen ones, but I tried them with frozen blueberries and they were too watery and colourful for me.

I used only Stevia, on my bottle says 1 tablespoon = 1/2 cup sugar so I use 1 tablespoon of Stevia for the whole batch. It's a Stevia+inulin blend, but I forgot the brand. I believe Stevia and flaxmeal go very well together, Stevia in this combination doesn't taste weird to me. Nowadays I'm trying to use only Stevia where I can, and I can report that the cream cheese muffins with Stevia and dried cranberries and orange zest was a success, too.

OK, ingredients: (directions are the same as on the first post first page)

dry
===
2c flaxmeal (I grind my own in the Magic Bullet)
1/2 c medium unsweetened coconut (but I believe you can leave it out)
1 Tbsp Stevia (= 1/2 cup sugar sweetness)
1tsp baking powder
1tsp baking soda
dash salt
1/4 - 1/2 c dried cranberries

wet
===
5 eggs (beaten)
8T sf vanilla syrup w/Splenda **
5T coconut oil (or any oil, or less)
zest of one orange
1/2 tsp orange extract (opt.)
Old 05-30-2006, 03:14 AM   #415
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Cookie41
Start Date: 1/14/06
I made the original recipe tonight Wow! It is so good I was a little worried because I have really bad luck with bread recipes, but this one is really good

Last edited by Cookie41; 05-30-2006 at 03:17 AM..
Old 05-30-2006, 09:30 PM   #416
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: robirdstx
WOE: eat less, move more
So Good!!!

I made this bread today too! I followed the original recipe with these changes: for the 2 cups flaxmeal, I used 1 cup dark flaxmeal, 2/3 cup almond meal, and 1/3 cup cloned Dr. Atkins bake mix (just happened to be what I had on hand); used 5 T. melted unsalted butter instead of canola oil; and added 4 oz. softened cream cheese and 1 T. banana extract. I used 1 cup chopped walnuts and vanilla DaVinci's syrup. As soon as it was cool enough, I had a slice smothered in butter. So Good!!! Can't wait to have some more for breakfast in the morning.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:31 AM   #417
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Purrgirl
Stats: 146/128 5'6
WOE: Vegetarian
I made this again yesterday but this time added sf chocolate chips!

The Davinci syrup flavor I used was banana and I added banana extract as well! I LOVED the banana/chocolate combo!!!
Old 06-15-2006, 12:03 PM   #418
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vonnygirl
Stats: 237.5/181.5/165
WOE: OWL
Start Date: 6/06 with a couple of pauses......
I made this with the original recipe, using only liquid splenda and I did not care for it at all. The eggs did wierd things in the bread, you could see strings of them in it. Is that normal or did I do something wrong? It did smell wonderful cooking tho!
Old 06-16-2006, 11:11 AM   #419
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: txmaggi1
Stats: Now 176/140
WOE: starting re-induction Atkins worked first time
Start Date: May 10, 2010 & again June17,2011
Vonny girl, Sponge Bob said if you beat the mixture to much that the eggs would do weird things. So that is what happen I think, maybe.?
Old 06-16-2006, 11:12 AM   #420
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: txmaggi1
Stats: Now 176/140
WOE: starting re-induction Atkins worked first time
Start Date: May 10, 2010 & again June17,2011
Vonny girl, Sponge Bob said if you beat the mixture to much that the eggs would do weird things. So that is what happen I think.