Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
dee
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dee
Stats: (HW196)188/181.4/145
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart Nov 26.13 (formerly HHCG 2 rounds)
Asthma and dairy products??

It seems my ongoing shortness of breath issue is "probably asthma" says my doc. I DID notice a correlation between dairy products and worsening of my breathing condition on my own. I asked her to send me for allergy testing as i i suspect I am allergic I will eliminate them regardless but I'd like testing done as well. I googled dairy and asthma and was shocked to see how much research has already been done on linking the two. My (life long) love affair with yogurt, cheese, ice cream and cream in my coffee was over as soon as I did a little reading tonite. I hope cutting it out will significantly improve my symptoms.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
dee
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dee
Stats: (HW196)188/181.4/145
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart Nov 26.13 (formerly HHCG 2 rounds)
No one has noticed this? Hello? Hello? Is this thing on? LOL
dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fiddlejen
Stats: 296 oh no!!/287/..a whole lot less!!..
WOE: Fast-5
Start Date: IF 2013->Atkins 2/20. 3/13 aiming for Atkins Again
Hey, I have asthma too, and all my life I've known that dairy was a problem.
However, on Atkins I learned that HEAVY cream is perfectly fine. And by themselves, so are most cheeses, and even plain yogurt too. (Including plain Whole yogurt.)

When not on Atkins, any milk products combined with sugar OR with fat can worsen asthma. Since HC is fine, you'd think that skim milk would be the worst but it's not. In my experience, of the milk-only products, whole milk seems to be the worst for asthma. Once other stuff is added, ice cream is the worst for asthma, followed by pizza.

The only "study" I ever read about this was a long time ago, and it was very flawed. They decided to find out whether dairy makes asthma worse, and instead of having their control group drink water, instead had them drink SOY-milk for comparison.
From this, they concluded that all the people who for years had experienced that milk was a problem, were all wrong, and that dairy products are perfectly fine for everyone with asthma.

Which is of course idiotic. The fact is, Soy causes just as much asthma as dairy. For some of us-- like me!--it causes asthma more & more quickly than dairy.

When I was diagnosed with asthma, as a teenager mom insisted that we go to a homeopathic nutritionist, who told me to avoid Dairy, Wheat, and Citrus. He should've included all Sugars on that list. Also the list should've included all Grains, and also Soy. Instead I was told to eat "soy cheese" (yuck!!!) and tofu instead.

Well as it happens, I like tofu. And, most soy products. (NOT soy cheese, though!) Well, back then for soy cheese & tofu you still had to go to a health-food store, but for some reason my local grocery-store chain carried their own line of tofu Ice Cream. I loved it, liked it better than regular ice cream. But guess what? It caused Asthma WORSE than regular ice cream too!

One time I bought one of those big containers of whey protein, to make my own shakes. Turns out, THAT is the only stuff that causes worse asthma than soy. This is probably why HEAVY cream is Just Fine for asthma--it has very little whey. It's probably also why Real, whole yogurt is fine too. (I think the yogurt-ophilus-cultures convert a lot of the whey.)

Unfortunately for asthmatics, a lot of the Low-Carb products (shakes, bars, etc) are made either with Whey or else with Soy. So a lot of them can make asthma worse.

On the other hand, a person doing a strict (older) version of Atkins will find that old-style Atkins Low Carb is a great treatment for asthma, because it automatically cuts out most of the food-contributors to asthma.
fiddlejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I think there must be a similar thread, because I was sure I answered this.

Yes. Wheat too.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote