Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Protein Power
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 07:00 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RDBhan
Stats: (198) 190/155 5'10"
WOE: Protein Power; Maintenance since 8/11
Start Date: June 2002, refocus 1/2011
Measurements

Hi all,

I recently reread PP (the original) and realized I hadn't done the measurements in years. I had a target weight of 170 lb but I wanted to confirm that was a good target. Man was I wrong.

Turns out: I'm carrying around 65# of fat, my lean body weight is 125# and I had to readjust my goal to lose 15# more. At first I was really irritated and a little discouraged, but I realized it was just a firm grounding in reality.

Has anyone recently redone his or her measurements and been surprised?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lucky4
Stats: Size 20-22/-31.6 lbs /Size 8-10 Right under 5'8"
WOE: Back to Protein Power (LCer for a long time)
Start Date: Restart Feb 1, 2011
I actually found my LBM was a lot more than I thought. Unfortunately, that doesn't erase my body fat which needs help In any case, I do agree that measurements tell the real story. I'm tired of people saying someone is fat (when they may be highly muscular) or someone is skinny (just because the scale shows it). I had to convince my daughter today that if her teachers tell her she is very overweight at a certain weight--tell them to go jump in the lake IF they haven't compared the lean to the fat. I have told her to watch her measurements rather than the scale because she is built muscular like I am.
Anyway, I'm sure an extra 15 lbs will be easy for you--trade it in for muscle by doing resistance training
Old 02-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky4 View Post
I actually found my LBM was a lot more than I thought. Unfortunately, that doesn't erase my body fat which needs help In any case, I do agree that measurements tell the real story. I'm tired of people saying someone is fat (when they may be highly muscular) or someone is skinny (just because the scale shows it). I had to convince my daughter today that if her teachers tell her she is very overweight at a certain weight--tell them to go jump in the lake IF they haven't compared the lean to the fat. I have told her to watch her measurements rather than the scale because she is built muscular like I am.
Anyway, I'm sure an extra 15 lbs will be easy for you--trade it in for muscle by doing resistance training
Great advice for your daughter - spare her the stupidity we've been brought up with. You know, the kind of stupidity that saps your self esteem and labels you as fat. Well done. Thanks for the vote of confidence - I just got back into resistance training.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lucky4
Stats: Size 20-22/-31.6 lbs /Size 8-10 Right under 5'8"
WOE: Back to Protein Power (LCer for a long time)
Start Date: Restart Feb 1, 2011
Great. Keep up the great work. I'm going back into resistance training as well before cardio. Both my teenage kids are going to learn too.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BWYA
Stats: started 1 Jan 11: 272.6/243.0/140
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: 1 January 2011
i haven't redone any measurements since the first time I did this (years ago!) I'm not going to bother just yet. I figure I can figure it out in 50 or 75 lbs....
Old 07-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: trlotlo
Do you guys actually keep up with how much protein you eat and carbs and such. Or just eat more protein and stay away from breads, potatoes, and that sort of thing?
I've been trying this PP way of eating since the 16th, but I am not measuring anything. Just trying to eat more veggies (mostly green ones), I have cut ALL breads, pasta, sweets, and eat more meat.
I just found in reading the book that it seems so difficult to keep up with all the numbers. Anyone else do this?
Old 07-28-2011, 05:00 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

I definitely do. It's integral to the success of this WOE. When I increased my exercise level, I also correspondingly increased my protein intake.

Let me give you an example of how things can go wrong. Like you, I avoided all the bad things and ate what I thought was ok. I drink 4 cups coffee/day, and I use liquid splenda and Half n' half. Seems safe, right? But I assumed the HNH was 1-2 gm carbs (for 2 tablespoons). Turns out, I was using closer to 4-6 gm/cup, meaning I was getting 24 gm carbs just from coffee! So I was using a safe or legal food but still blowing my limits because I didn't keep track. Once I became more vigilent, the weight started coming off more consistently.

It's not hard to keep track, once you get the hang of it. I would suggest keeping strict track (measure and weigh everything) for 2 weeks and you'll be a pro in no time.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: trlotlo
is there an easier method to figure out all your number cause the book confused me...yeah I know I'm an idiot...LOL
Old 07-30-2011, 03:19 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emmaline
You can go on to ******.com. You can enter in what you're eating and it will keep track for you.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:09 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlotlo View Post
is there an easier method to figure out all your number cause the book confused me...yeah I know I'm an idiot...LOL
I don't know of an easier method than just measuring. But just do your waist and wrists in inches and then follow the table. The book can be confusing with having to take averages, etc. Just measure each area once and use that as a rough guide.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:23 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

So I redid my measurements yesterday as I was at my original goal. I have definitely put on a fair bit of muscle but it seems like my goal weight is somewhere between 142-153 lbs, which is a little lower than my original. Changing my target to 150.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emmaline
Very good, congrats!