Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Protein Power
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hsmum1
Hello- first day ever on PP- questions

Hello,
I am Pat and this is my first real attempt at weight loss.I was always thin until about age 45 then started gaining until now I have 40 lbs to lose at age 55. I have also been diagnosed as hypothyroid just recently and am now on 3 grains of Naturethyroid. In fact I went through a depression at age 43 and got down to 103 lbs. That is not to bad at 5 2" but was low for me. My normal weight is about 120 but since I am 55 I would be happy at 130 or 140 I am now at 170 and I can't believe I am here!. I never ever counted calories or even thought about how much I ate- but I was never a junk food eater at all. I really have struggled with this whole thing because I thought I was eating really good- ya know whole grains, raw milk, Nourishing Traditions style.
I really struggled with which diet to do- felt Atkins was to limiting for me and I have the Sally Fallon Eat Fat Lose Fat but felt that was not going to work for how much I have to lose.
I do plan to add in the coconut oil- does anyone else add it to their tea or hot drink and does it help with loss and thyroid?
I have the main Protein Power book and have coming the 30 day and Lifeplan too. I have read parts of these and they seem really sound. I am having a little trouble today knowing what to eat when I am hungry between meals. I had a Jay Robb scoop (1 carb) and 1 cup coconut milk (1 carb) does that sound doable?
Most of the recipes in the Protein Power seem to be aimed at a higher carb level than I need to be at right now. I am trying to do about 5 to 7 carbs with meals and a couple with 2 snacks- how does that sound to those who have succeeded?
Today here is what I had (goofed on the blueberries and had 1/2 instead of 1/3)
**** Breakfast- 2 eggs with a little cream tiny bit of sauteed onion and pepper, 2 slices bacon, 1 oz cheese, 1/2 cup blueberries, coffee and cream, stevia
****Lunch- cheeseburger with salad (greens, radishes) with vinegar and olive oil
**** Snack Jay Robb shake with coconut milk
**** Dinner (maybe chicken sauteed in some butter and salad again)
Probably need another shake for sleep - or I wake up with restless legs.
Thanks !
Pat

Last edited by hsmum1; 02-09-2011 at 03:25 PM..

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BWYA
Stats: started 1 Jan 11: 272.6/243.0/140
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: 1 January 2011
Hi Pat,

Welcome!

I think your menu from today looks good. PP is my "spine" plan, but I adapt and keep my carbs a bit lower (closer to Atkins induction levels) and I am liberal with my fat. I've lost 14.4 lbs since 1 Jan. Not the most weight lost in 5 weeks, but not bad. I'm satisfied, overall.

Of the Eades books, I like the first one the best of all. I just downloaded Why We Get Fat (Taubes) from iTunes and it is fantastic. I think it is quite complimentary to PP.

Anyway, I'm no expert, but I wanted welcome you!

Knitting burns 100 calories per hour and is full of fiber.
<a href=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v644/extremeknitter/sigpic.jpg target=_blank>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ter/sigpic.jpg</a>
my granddaugher

1 Jan 11 272.6 [start]•1 Feb 11 260.8•1 Mar 11 253.6•15 Apr 11 243.0 ~††[-27.6 lbs since start!!!]
Old 02-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

BWYA,
Thanks for the welcome- I have 2 brothers in the Dallas/Plano area. I do like Gary Taubes also so I will check out that one also. I see your wife homeschools- I homeschool my 15 year old daughter too. Congratulations on the loss!!! That is great. I just want to get down to a comfortable weight that is healthy to spend with my hubby of 38 years If I could lose 2 lbs a week I would be happy. Do you ever use any protein powders? I am also a believer in good fats- how do you add them in beside the obvious methods of cooking?
Thanks
Pat
Old 02-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Hey, Pat,

How long have you been homeschooling? I'm in my 18th year of teaching my my kids. My oldest two (sons) are homeschool grads serving our country in the Army, just like their dad did. Our middle daughter, #4, will be 15 this spring. I can't wait.

I'm a few years behind you at 45, but my youngest son was born when I was 40, too! I love being an older mom. (of course I loved being a young mom and an in-betwee mom!)

I occasionally use protein powder. I like the EAS whey protein, chocolate flavor. When I have a shake with that, I use cream.

For fats, besides cooking in it, I am generous with mayo, butter (cook with it, add it to oopsie rolls, drown veggies in it), cream in my coffee, cream whipped up just for a treat, I use sour cream, eat cheeses and I eat fried hamburger everyday. I love burgers! I don't eat much chicken or pork and stick with lots of beef as it's a bit fattier. I bought coconut oil, but I've not used it yet in anything. Not sure why. I've just never used it ~ it seems weird as I associate coconut with sweet.

Anyway, enough yacking from me. My family wants food!!!!

have a great evening!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:48 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lucky4
Stats: Size 20-22/-31.6 lbs /Size 8-10 Right under 5'8"
WOE: Back to Protein Power (LCer for a long time)
Start Date: Restart Feb 1, 2011
Hey cool, I have homeschooled my kids too. Anyway, Pat, welcome to PP and LCing. I think you'll like it. I too tend to use it and Atkins simultaneously but today for example, I added a tbl of starch to my almond fried chicken--between the 8 pieces, it added less than a carb per piece. I have almost been over 30 carbs the entire week--but have still lost. So, my plan it to TRY to stick as possible to 30, not go over 2000 calories and start my exercise soon. I find that fat helps me too--but it horrifies my husband. Anyway, to each his/her own.
Good luck everyone--seems we're only a few here but I too find a great deal of help on the main board.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:06 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Hi and welcome.

To answer your questions:

I think your plan looks good. I do better with fewer carbs and breakfast, if I have blueberries, I have them at dinner.

For snacks, I go with no protein, just fat. So, that would be coffee with cream and a cinnamon stick and sweetener, or hot water with a cinnamon stick with butter. If I am at work, I use coconut oil in the coffee, but it isn't as good. If you don't have protein or carbs for snacks, your body won't release insulin to deal with the protein, so you will have more of an opportunity to burn fat.

RE: coconut oil will help you get into ketosis faster. I don't know that it really does anything more than that, but it should help as ketosis is useful to knock out your appetite. I can't really tell. Some people make coconut bark for snacks. You can check for recipes. I've done it, but it doesn't really grab me, I like the coffee--it's filling.

I don't know what the shakes are you are referring too.

I liked Protein Power as a starting point; Atkins induction was too restrictive for me and put me off low carb. After 2 failed attempts, I didn't try it again for 10 years.

Good luck!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Old 02-10-2011, 07:54 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RDBhan
Stats: (198) 190/155 5'10"
WOE: Protein Power; Maintenance since 8/11
Start Date: June 2002, refocus 1/2011
Hi Pat,
Good luck! PP is such a livable diet once you get the hang of it. I agree your menu looks good.

I usually eat almonds as a snack - 2 gm/ ounce which is around 30 nuts. And the key to not needing to snack is to have adequate fats in your diet.

Most importantly, drink your water! It has a number of beneficial effects, not the least of which is helping curb appetite.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Thanks BWYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWYA View Post
Hey, Pat,

How long have you been homeschooling? I'm in my 18th year of teaching my my kids. My oldest two (sons) are homeschool grads serving our country in the Army, just like their dad did. Our middle daughter, #4, will be 15 this spring. I can't wait.
*** I have been homeschooling since she was little- my two older children when to public school and graduated at Virginia Tech- congrats on the sons in the military! We have many at our church and homeschool group that have sons in the service

I occasionally use protein powder. I like the EAS whey protein, chocolate flavor. When I have a shake with that, I use cream.
**** How much cream do you use with it?

For fats, besides cooking in it, I am generous with mayo, butter (cook with it, add it to oopsie rolls, drown veggies in it), cream in my coffee, cream whipped up just for a treat, I use sour cream, eat cheeses and I eat fried hamburger everyday. I love burgers! I don't eat much chicken or pork and stick with lots of beef as it's a bit fattier. I bought coconut oil, but I've not used it yet in anything. Not sure why. I've just never used it ~ it seems weird as I associate coconut with sweet.
**** I eat a lot of beef to as we bought a grass fed 1/2 of cow ( I cooked my burger today in butter I am using the coconut oil in hot tea or coffee with stevia and cream.

Anyway, enough yacking from me. My family wants food!!!!

have a great evening!
*** I hope I did this right- answering your questions- I have not much experience on the boards.
Thanks
Pat
Old 02-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Extra fat- good idea :)

[QUOTE=Key Tones;14364437]Hi and welcome.

To answer your questions:

I think your plan looks good. I do better with fewer carbs and breakfast, if I have blueberries, I have them at dinner.

For snacks, I go with no protein, just fat. So, that would be coffee with cream and a cinnamon stick and sweetener, or hot water with a cinnamon stick with butter. If I am at work, I use coconut oil in the coffee, but it isn't as good. If you don't have protein or carbs for snacks, your body won't release insulin to deal with the protein, so you will have more of an opportunity to burn fat.
**** I appreciate the info on the fat as I never thought of protein causing a insulin response. Most of my fat is in my abdomen so that I am sure is important. I use coconut oil in my tea- and I could probably get through anything if I could have coffee with cream!! I am glad to know coconut helps in that way also (ketosis). I really try as much as possible to eat naturally/ clean
RE: coconut oil will help you get into ketosis faster. I don't know that it really does anything more than that, but it should help as ketosis is useful to knock out your appetite. I can't really tell. Some people make coconut bark for snacks. You can check for recipes. I've done it, but it doesn't really grab me, I like the coffee--it's filling.

I don't know what the shakes are you are referring too.
The Jay Robb protein powder has 1 carb and is made with milk whey that has not growth hormone- it helps when I don't know what else to do right now- the first day I think I spent too much time worrying about it for sure- probably normal.
I liked Protein Power as a starting point; Atkins induction was too restrictive for me and put me off low carb. After 2 failed attempts, I didn't try it again for 10 years.

[FONT="Arial Black"][/FONTWell I have waited long enough thinking that when I started my thyroid meds my metabolism would kick into gear- not so All my other friends are doing WW and now with their new plan you can eat all the fruits you want- sounds great but I know it will not work- everyone I see is eating bananas all the time. I am the only one of my group eating this way. It is a little lonely. They all know LC works but don't think they could eat this way.
I hope to have some results soon to show it works for real and can be done long term
Pat

Last edited by hsmum1; 02-10-2011 at 12:04 PM..
Old 02-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Thanks RDBhan on the suggestion on almonds & the welcome and Lucky for the welcome and helps. I know this board is a little quieter than the other boards but I will check back from time to time. Can any of you give me a few menu plans you guys use that have helped with loss?
Thanks
pat
Old 02-10-2011, 12:15 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

My menu for today:
B - flax seed meal "oatmeal" with peanut butter and cinnamon (4 net carbs), 1/2 sausage, and 2 oz ham (all tolled 4 net carbs, roughly 35 gm protein)
Snack - 1.5 ounces roasted almonds (3 gm carbs)
L - 2 cups lettuce, 2 tablespoons cream ceasar dressing, 4 oz shredded chicken thighs (3 gm carb net, 28 gm protein)
Dinner - 5 oz fresh spinach sauteed with garlic and olive oil (1-2 carbs) and 8 oz grilled chicken breast (haven't decided how to season it yet) 28 gm protein
Fluid: 4 cups of coffee with half and half and liquid sucralose (4-5 carbs)
5-6 L of water (yes!)

Altogether around 20-25 gm of carb and well above my 75 gm protein target.

Hope it helps.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBhan View Post
My menu for today:
B - flax seed meal "oatmeal" with peanut butter and cinnamon (4 net carbs), 1/2 sausage, and 2 oz ham (all tolled 4 net carbs, roughly 35 gm protein)
Snack - 1.5 ounces roasted almonds (3 gm carbs)
L - 2 cups lettuce, 2 tablespoons cream ceasar dressing, 4 oz shredded chicken thighs (3 gm carb net, 28 gm protein)
Dinner - 5 oz fresh spinach sauteed with garlic and olive oil (1-2 carbs) and 8 oz grilled chicken breast (haven't decided how to season it yet) 28 gm protein
Fluid: 4 cups of coffee with half and half and liquid sucralose (4-5 carbs)
5-6 L of water (yes!)

Altogether around 20-25 gm of carb and well above my 75 gm protein target.

Hope it helps.
sounds yummy! especially the breakfast.

hsmum, I'm not sure about the amount of hwc... a "glug" or two??? I don't know when I'll use the protein again, but I"ll try to remember to measure when I do.

Last edited by BWYA; 02-10-2011 at 01:19 PM..
Old 02-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here is my menu for today.

Please note my plan is more restrictive than yours--there is no need to skip breakfast. I am doing this because of difficulties I have losing weight due to insulin resistance.

= = = =

B: Coffee with cream and cinnamon stick

L: Meatloaf made with 1/5 real avocado guacamole (mix 1 package of Costco guacamole (the refrigerated kind) with with 4 eggs, then mix into 3 packages of Duhram ground buffalo, last 5 minutes bake with LC ketchup on top), almond butter balls (almond butter mixed with equal amount kerrygold butter, a little coconut flour, a little davinci's SF vanilla syrup, make balls, roll them in unsweetened cocoa)

D: Chopped chicken mixed with butter and heated, then tossed on a bed of cold spinach greens, slice of Kerrygold cheese, heaping teaspoon of blueberries.

S: same as breakfast, alternating coconut oil/coconut cream

If you are interested, you can review my plan in the Century club--I am a daily weigher there and post menus or what I am cooking in a menu thread. It has been changing as I am influenced by recommendations here on the board--posts by Auntie EM and Fawn especially have been helpful.

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-10-2011 at 12:42 PM..
Old 02-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

oatmeal recipe?

[QUOTE=RDBhan;14366022]My menu for today:
B - flax seed meal "oatmeal" with peanut butter and cinnamon (4 net carbs), 1/2 sausage, and 2 oz ham (all tolled 4 net carbs, roughly 35 gm protein

Is the recipe for the "oatmeal" in the recipes section of the LCF? or how do you make yours?
Thanks
Pat
Great ideas to add to my collection!
Old 02-11-2011, 07:29 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

[quote=hsmum1;14366482]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBhan View Post
My menu for today:
B - flax seed meal "oatmeal" with peanut butter and cinnamon (4 net carbs), 1/2 sausage, and 2 oz ham (all tolled 4 net carbs, roughly 35 gm protein

Is the recipe for the "oatmeal" in the recipes section of the LCF? or how do you make yours?
Thanks
Pat
Great ideas to add to my collection!
I got it from another site, but there are people here who use it too.

1/4 cup ground flax seed meal, 1/4 tspn cinnamon, 2 tablespoons peanut butter, and 1/2 cup boiling water (and splenda and vanilla are optional, but make it taste better). Thickens nicely and has the consistency of oatmeal.

14 gm protein, 4-5 gm carbs depending on which peanut butter you use.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Thank you so much! I am already getting a little tired of eggs In the last 3 days I am down 2 1/2 lbs- I know it is mostly water but my belly is flatter! Nice
Pat
Old 02-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmum1 View Post
Thank you so much! I am already getting a little tired of eggs In the last 3 days I am down 2 1/2 lbs- I know it is mostly water but my belly is flatter! Nice
Pat
I know what you mean. I can only tolerate eggs now and then at this point. There are some great LC pancake recipes with almost no carbs - like the ones that use ground pork rinds. Sounds gross but tastes great!

Keep up the good work!
Old 02-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great job on the weight loss HSMUM!

I know what you mean about the eggs. I was reading Peter at Hyperlipid--he eats just the egg yolks, it's actually much easier to eat eggs this way, and the Omega 3 eggs are like taking vitamins - they have vitamin D too. He eats 6 egg yolks, I will eat 4 cooked in butter (I try over easy, but some of them end up a bit scrambled).

Here is what I do with the egg whites left over:

Pancakes!!!

4 egg whites
1 cup almond flour
1/3 cup butter (slightly melted)
1 level teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

mix, pour out well-spaced circles of the batter on parchment paper, bake 350 for 20 minutes.

Heh, this was supposed to be a recipe for "biscuits" but I am not a very good cook--they came out flat (I put everything in the cuisinart instead of "folding gently" or whatever you're supposed to do), so they came out flat. My daughter took one taste and squealed, "They taste like pancakes!" so we got out LC syrup (the LC Walden Farms pancake syrup on netrition is fantastic! and it doesn't have sorbitol, which I can't tolerate).

You just look at the carbs for the 1 cup of almond flour and divide by out by however many servings...I can't remember, I let my daughter and husband have most them anyway.

I'm thinking of stocking these in the fridge as buns.

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-11-2011 at 09:40 AM..
Old 02-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Those pancakes look good--and I could use a good hamburger bun. Right now, I'm using the cauliflower pizza crust molded into small circles to use as buns.
But I have a question.....I grind my own almonds--with the skin. Is this the same as almond flour or something different?
Old 02-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky4 View Post
Those pancakes look good--and I could use a good hamburger bun. Right now, I'm using the cauliflower pizza crust molded into small circles to use as buns.
But I have a question.....I grind my own almonds--with the skin. Is this the same as almond flour or something different?
I think it's different - the flour or meal is skinless and blanched. Not sure what nutritional impact that has.

Have you tried Cleo's recipe for oopsies? Make good hamburger buns. I have trouble folding in the egg whites sometimes but otherwise they're easy.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:28 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky4 View Post
I have the NOW brand almond flour, which is unblanched, and it does have flecks in it--I think the skin must be on. It has no other ingredients.

I would use roasted, not raw, almonds if making your own.

I have the grain blade for the vitamix, I'm just not sure I could deal with the noise or stop it in time before it turns into almond butter. I may try it sometime.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Hmmm, never thought about roasting them first. I just do it with raw nuts. I have a vitamix too--love it. But, I only processed about 1/2 c at a time with a regular food processor. Sometimes, if I only want a few spoons, I use a coffee grinder. I was too tired to try to pancakes though--may do it tomorrow.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, I have made my own peanut butter though--it's great and easy to make. I used the vitamix in the past but I have an older model with a spout at the bottom--so it was hell to clean it. I just use my coffee grinder for that too and make about 1/4 c at a time.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

There are some great ideas here!

I like oopsie rolls a lot. the last time I made them I realized too late that I hadn't folded all of the yolk mixture in properly. FRUSTRATING, but they turned out fine.

A friend of mine is going out of town today to buy some food at a health food store. She can get bulk almond flour and is going to pick some up for me. I've never used it before, but I'm pretty excited about it. I'm trying to get my family eating much more lc. Gary Taubes book did it for me. They all may not have the same metabolic problems I have, but I want to keep it that way!

Hope y'all are having a fantastic weekend!