Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Protein Power (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/protein-power/)
-   -   Question regarding the Eades's blogs (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/protein-power/709155-question-regarding-eadess-blogs.html)

Lucky4 02-07-2011 10:57 PM

Question regarding the Eades's blogs

I have already found a wealth of easy-to-read info on the blogs. But, I can't seem to find an archive anywhere of previous blogs. Can anyone help me out on this?

As well, another poster on the main boards just told me PP has no solution for stalls. I don't agree--but has anyone had any problems that they felt were unsolvable?

Key Tones 02-08-2011 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky4 (Post 14357221)
I have already found a wealth of easy-to-read info on the blogs. But, I can't seem to find an archive anywhere of previous blogs. Can anyone help me out on this?

As well, another poster on the main boards just told me PP has no solution for stalls. I don't agree--but has anyone had any problems that they felt were unsolvable?

I tried his 6 week cure for the middle age middle which I would not recommend to anyone--I liked his book Protein Power and I like many of his blog postings. This 6 week cure diet was ill-advised in my opinion; I had not learned much yet as I had just started reading this board at the time.

This is a book he wrote when he was told he was not thin enough to look good on television, so he had to find a way to lose more weight. I found that the 3x per day whey shakes (plus one meal per day was allowed) were too high in protein and too low in fat (per his recommendation for someone in my weight range = 3 scoops per shake!), and whey causes a larger insulin response than other proteins (it is easily digestible, quickly absorbed, but the mechanism for this is not well understood).

The next two weeks is similar to a meat and egg fast. Once I realized the problem with using so much whey protein, I dropped it. I don't understand his logic and don't believe in his methods in the 6 week cure. I will say I think his Protein Power book is a great book to start with for a low carb diet.

FYI--I am following Dr. Kurt Harris (PaNu) and I'm reading Dr. Bernstein's book (Diabetes Solution) because I have insulin resistance and this makes it difficult to lose weight. This may not apply to other people, of course, which is why I disclose my condition in my autosignature.

PaNu - P

PaNu - Get Started

So, basically, Eades' solution to losing stubborn middle-age visceral fat is his 6 week cure book. I can't endorse.

I have found other solutions, but I realize you may not be asking...

Key Tones 02-08-2011 01:23 AM

I also found some of Dr. Eades commentary in his book distasteful when describing his patients that have apparently wrecked their metabolisms. He does not believe his patients could gain weight on 900 calories when they tell him that they do, but if you read Gary Taubes book on Why We Get Fat, it seems apparent this can be true.

Fortunately, I have not done this to myself, but I really believe that people that go on those 500 calorie liquid diets, for example, or those 700 calorie lean meat diets, have probably really messed themselves up and will gain weight on very little food.

I'm only pointing this out in case you've hit the wall--I'm not sure if you have a particular concern?

Lucky4 02-08-2011 03:20 AM

To be honest, I haven't read the 6-Week Cure. But I do well on Protein Power--the first book. I can't comment on his advice but I do like the advice given in his blogs--that's why I can't access past posts.

You mentioned that I didn't ask for any solutions......I'm more than happy that you pass along any or all experiences you have had--I have both insulin resistance and PCOS so I know the SLOOOOOOOW process of trying to lose a lb here or there--and then have doctors tell my DH who is against LC that it's pretty much in my head (about slow losing that is) :(

Key Tones 02-08-2011 05:34 AM

In your head? Oh my gosh...

Unfortunately, when people hear about low carb, they think about Atkins and all the people that talk about eating bacon and all the steak they can eat. I don't eat bacon; this food is too salty and usually has nitrates.

I tell people I am on a diet involving whole foods, avoiding processed foods as much as possible. People really understand this.

If you haven't gotten the book "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes, I highly recommend it.

I can't say I know much about PCOS, but for insulin resistance, Dr. Bernstein's book Diabetes Solution is really helping me. I did not realize I was making so many mistakes. Let me look for threads I think you might find interesting. Be sure to read Mama Sage and Auntie Em's posts when you see them. I'll edit this and paste below:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...-appetite.html

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...al-atkins.html

Lucky4 02-08-2011 07:07 AM

Okay--thanks for the tips.....I'll start my searching.....I already am fond of Auntie Em's advice.

One more thing--how come no one is here on this board--Protein Power that is. I see a lot of people on the main board using PP. :)

Key Tones 02-08-2011 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky4 (Post 14357890)
Okay--thanks for the tips.....I'll start my searching.....I already am fond of Auntie Em's advice.

One more thing--how come no one is here on this board--Protein Power that is. I see a lot of people on the main board using PP. :)

I don't know.

There seems to several plans followed I've seen mentioned; I think Atkins is a much more popular diet on this board.

Lucky4 02-08-2011 08:52 AM

BTW, excellent results you have accomplished. I'm very impressed! I'm at my highest weight ever--it's so depressing but I hope to get back down soon.

Key Tones 02-08-2011 09:28 AM

Thank you!

The board has been extremely helpful.

You will achieve what you put your mind to.